Ubisoft Responds to Assassin's Creed III Leaks by Just Up and Revealing its Cover Art [UPDATED]

Posted by Alex (2175 posts) -

As you can see from the image on the side here, Assassin's Creed III's box art has officially been released by Ubisoft, and it confirms what everyone on the Internet has been buzzing about for the last couple of days: the lead character is of Native American descent, and the game takes place during the American Revolution.

All sorts of different art leaks had been popping up over the last day or two, some via a Best Buy employee posting promotional art sent to the store in anticipation of the reveal, and another via Game Informer's website (snagged by a NeoGAF user), which inadvertently posted a banner showing a new assassin holding a tomahawk and old-timey pistol against the backdrop of Washington crossing the Delaware.

And now we have confirmation of all of that. The lead character will be (at least partly) of Native American descent, and will be stabbing/shooting dudes against the backdrop of America's fight for independence. It's not that I hate the British or anything, but frankly, I'm quite looking forward to the notion of dropping a few tomahawks on a few Redcoat skulls. It'll be just like the movie The Patriot! Except with time travel. And without Mel Gibson. And maybe not horrible.

UPDATE: Game Informer just revealed their dual covers for their upcoming Assassin's Creed III cover story, which you can see and then begin picking apart for obscure details below.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2175 posts) -

As you can see from the image on the side here, Assassin's Creed III's box art has officially been released by Ubisoft, and it confirms what everyone on the Internet has been buzzing about for the last couple of days: the lead character is of Native American descent, and the game takes place during the American Revolution.

All sorts of different art leaks had been popping up over the last day or two, some via a Best Buy employee posting promotional art sent to the store in anticipation of the reveal, and another via Game Informer's website (snagged by a NeoGAF user), which inadvertently posted a banner showing a new assassin holding a tomahawk and old-timey pistol against the backdrop of Washington crossing the Delaware.

And now we have confirmation of all of that. The lead character will be (at least partly) of Native American descent, and will be stabbing/shooting dudes against the backdrop of America's fight for independence. It's not that I hate the British or anything, but frankly, I'm quite looking forward to the notion of dropping a few tomahawks on a few Redcoat skulls. It'll be just like the movie The Patriot! Except with time travel. And without Mel Gibson. And maybe not horrible.

UPDATE: Game Informer just revealed their dual covers for their upcoming Assassin's Creed III cover story, which you can see and then begin picking apart for obscure details below.

Staff
#2 Edited by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

YES!

EDIT: Finally, there's that quest out of the way.

I can't wait to get my Daniel Day Lewis in Last Of The Mohicans on. I hope we'll be witness to the formation of the Culper Ring among other cool covert things that happened during the Revolutionary War.

#3 Posted by jakkblades (404 posts) -

Terrible

#4 Posted by hollitz (1522 posts) -

Fuck goddamn yes.

#5 Posted by TheClap (538 posts) -

PC confirmed

#6 Posted by cartoons4andy (18 posts) -

Too many AC games to play before I can get to this one!

#7 Posted by ussbutte (31 posts) -

Truth is stranger than fiction, I guess.

#8 Posted by LarcenousLaugh (69 posts) -

Haha. Loved that portion of The Patriot, even if it was Mel Gibson. Box art looks fantastic, excited to say the least.

#9 Posted by Cyrisaurus (455 posts) -

Assassin's Creed 4 needs to be old west, and Assassin's Creed 5 needs to be Soviet Russia.

#10 Posted by jakkblades (404 posts) -

He can't be 100% native. His dad must've been Italian.

#11 Posted by Linkster7 (1026 posts) -

Well I did not see THIS coming. I think anything else then a Desmond main game would disappoint me though.

#12 Posted by Fallen189 (5009 posts) -

How do we even know it's of Native American descent?

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11031 posts) -

Very excited.

#14 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

After being frustrated with so many annual iterations on this game (and not even playing more than a couple hours into Assassin's Creed 4), this cover just got me excited about it. Earlier this morning, I would have said "the next Assassin's Creed might be my least anticipated game of the year".

#15 Posted by Rirse (266 posts) -

Better have Ben Franklin be your "Q" character.

#16 Posted by Ronald (1368 posts) -

And hopefully they don't give your character a dozen children to add "emotional heft" by killing half of them off.

#17 Edited by Enigmatical (135 posts) -

I'm pretty psyched about this! Absolutely love the setting and the "tools" of this new Assassin are awesome. I'd gladly trade a sword for a goddamn tomahawk!

(Also... I kind of liked The Patriot.)

#18 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

Wonder what Fox News will do when they realise you can kill american troops (im assuming you can - wouldnt make much sense in an assassins creed game if youre only allowed to kill british troops).

#19 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (834 posts) -

My body has never been more ready.

#20 Posted by Pop (2633 posts) -

I just did a really loud nerd squeal

#21 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1471 posts) -

I'm impressed Alex! VERY IMPRESSED

#22 Posted by fusrodah (95 posts) -

Aaron Burr must be the main enemy. This has to happen.

#23 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (506 posts) -

Jesus fucking christ, American Revolution AC was something I considered only in my wildest dreams. I have such a nerd hard-on for this game.

#24 Posted by RecSpec (3819 posts) -

This is what's going to get me into the series.

#25 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@Fallen189: Because Ubisoft says he is.

#26 Edited by Javes (78 posts) -

I just hope the game tells more of the Desmond/modern day storyline. Also, MORE TRUTH PUZZLES.

#27 Edited by CheapPoison (731 posts) -

I really am not stoked about the native american bit yet.

#28 Posted by Tredik (72 posts) -

I have absolutely zero interest in Assassin's Creed, but it's nice to see a company for once just come out and say, "yeah, that's totally accurate" in response to a "leak".

#29 Posted by ballsnbayonets (156 posts) -

THE PATRIOT WAS AWESOME ALEX. even tho mel gibson tricked everyone and made braveheart again. BRAVEHEART WAS STILL AWESOME.

#30 Posted by CornishRocker (397 posts) -

They done fucked up by not jumping ahead a few years and making Assassin's Creed: Lincoln Force.

#31 Posted by dvdhaus (356 posts) -

Yes I was hoping it would be this. I remember those emails in Brotherhood and the one mention of the team in America going dark. Definitely a day one purchase for me.

#32 Posted by rmanthorp (3950 posts) -

MURICA!

#33 Edited by MyNameIsJoe (184 posts) -

That's a pretty bad ass cover. I like the choice of time period although I hope they try to stay as accurate to Native American culture as they can rather than engaging in the hokey "hollywoodified" version that is so often portrayed in T.V. and movies.

Edit: Now that I think about it there's almost no way they will. They'll use you alien genes as an excuse to justify all sorts of hokey powers.

#34 Posted by Skywarpgold (153 posts) -

This is fucking awesome.

#35 Posted by Deathmachine117 (377 posts) -

Hey the Patriot is a high quality film !

#36 Posted by TzarStefan (428 posts) -

Rofl... Why is he native American? Apache assassins is fucking dumb.

#37 Posted by theredcoat24 (218 posts) -

so fucking pumped

#38 Posted by Box3ru13 (703 posts) -

Shit just got real folks, Day One.

#39 Posted by CaLe (3988 posts) -

I really hope the protagonist is a completely different type of person than Ezio. I got fed up with that charming Italian bloke and don't even feel like playing Revelations even though I played the every other one.

#40 Posted by Tofford (532 posts) -

I really wanted the next one to be Desmond as the assassin. I reckon this will be cool but I don't want the franchise run into the ground before I see the conclusion of the story I find most interesting.

#41 Posted by fistfullofcats (24 posts) -

@Rirse said:

Better have Ben Franklin be your "Q" character.

Aw man, having Franklin replace Leo DaVinci would be absolutely perfect. They surely must do this.

#42 Posted by Veektarius (4838 posts) -

Natives should be fighting the Americans.

#43 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Apparently, the team working on this is a senior team that has focused solely on this project since ACII. The other two games were done by other teams. That is really encouraging. ALSO FUCK YEAH TOMAHAWKS.

#44 Posted by MachoFantastico (4700 posts) -

''I guess they really had to choose a setting that had lots of piles of hay to dive into...''

Pretty much sums it up.

#45 Posted by Scodiac (470 posts) -

Oh. My. Goodness. Pretty cool.

#46 Posted by XenoByteZero (11 posts) -

Suppose I should get round to playing Revelations soon then...

#47 Posted by ErikSchroder (207 posts) -

So, Jason Isaacs is in it?

#48 Posted by sethshandor (82 posts) -

Sweet! You got me back, Assassin's Creed!

#49 Posted by binhoker (82 posts) -

Terrible news. I can barely envisage a more uninteresting milieu.

#50 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

FUCK YES AMERICAN REVOLUTION!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.