Why does George Washington have a contemporary American accent?

• 132 results
#1 Posted by Ninja (539 posts) -

I might not be very clued up on American history, but the american accent as we know it wouldn't have been a thing in 1777? Would it? I mean surely since most of these dudes would have had British accents? I thought ubisoft liked to be historically accurate when they could be?

#2 Posted by SuperSambo (2885 posts) -

Stop being so crazy.

#3 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

The convenient piece of fluff is that the Animus auto-translates to something the user can understand, right?

#4 Edited by Ninja (539 posts) -

Sorry, I'll climb down from my radical perch, I'm just sure Thomas Jefferson wouldn't have said 'dude.'

#5 Posted by Mutley (300 posts) -

He's using an american accent?!?!? That's it, I'm not pre-ordering this game.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Ubersmake said:

The convenient piece of fluff is that the Animus auto-translates to something the user can understand, right?

So what you're saying is that George Washington's Cockney accent is so thick that the Animus reads it as an entirely different language?

#7 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

Ezio also spoke English. Just saying.

#8 Posted by MachoFantastico (4890 posts) -

@Ubersmake said:

HA! A mate pointed the voice thing out to me to, I didn't notice it at first.

#9 Posted by cabelhigh (247 posts) -

@Ninja: I'm glad I'm not the only one who was miffed by this. The AC series has been pretty good with accents, I think, and this obviously American one was offputing.

#10 Edited by Ninja (539 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: I want George Washington to say "alright guvnor" to the assassin when he meets him, that's all.

@nohthink said:

He had a Italian accent though. I'm not speaking about language, I'm talkin' 'bout accent bro.

#11 Posted by Brodehouse (10132 posts) -

Northeastern American accent (stereotypical WASPy country club accent) is actually closer to 18th century British than modern RP British is.

More you know.

#12 Posted by MachoFantastico (4890 posts) -

@nohthink: That made sense, he spoke Italian (you can select it in the options) but the animus translates it, this doesn't make as much sense. That said, if Ubisoft had him speaking with an English ascent they'd just confuse the audiences especially considering how he is seen as an American hero.

Also, it's a video game! :)

#13 Posted by Ninja (539 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Northeastern American accent (stereotypical WASPy country club accent) is actually closer to 18th century British than modern RP British is. More you know.

I want a source for this lunacy god dammit!

#14 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

@Ninja said:

@Video_Game_King: I want George Washington to say "alright guvnor" to the assassin when he meets him, that's all.

@nohthink said:

He had a Italian accent though. I'm not speaking about language, I'm talkin' 'bout accent bro.

So Ezio speaking English with Italian accent doesn't bother you but George Washington speaking English in American accent does?

lol I don't know man. It never bothered me. I'm okay with George Washington with American accents.

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Brodehouse:

What about a Northeastern American accent a la JFK? How close would that be?

#17 Posted by Winternet (8055 posts) -

VIDEO GAMES, that's why.

#18 Posted by MachoFantastico (4890 posts) -

@Winternet said:

VIDEO GAMES, that's why.

END OF DISCUSSION :D

#19 Posted by junglistgamer (65 posts) -

I don't have a problem with Ubisoft taking a bit of artistic license. Once you go down the accent rabbit hole you ended up complaining about every historical epic that Hollywood ever produced.

#20 Posted by mustachioeugene (521 posts) -

Everyone knows Lincoln had a thick Brooklyn accent, so this only makes sense.

Proof;

#21 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

Because VIDEO GAMES. That's like saying "how can Desmond go back in history IN HIS MIND and relive moments from his ancestors life".

#22 Posted by MiniPato (2752 posts) -

Why did Altair have a contemporary American accent in AC1?

#23 Posted by Marz (5672 posts) -

how do you know what british sounded like in the 18th century?  maybe british sounded american 600 years ago and the british accent evolved into what it is in modern times and the american accent is the true british accent!!!!

#24 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Dude was just ahead of his time.

#25 Posted by MiniPato (2752 posts) -

Also because the animus.

#26 Posted by AndrewBeardsley (371 posts) -

@Ninja: Well he wouldn't necessarily have a british accent seeing as he was born in Virginia. Depends what kind of accents he was surrounded by. His accent is something that we can only guess on. Ubisoft most likely decided "fuck it. lets make him american sounding"

#27 Posted by Brodehouse (10132 posts) -
@MiniPato In universe it was explained that the Animus 1.6 used in AC1 sucked, and that it was a compensation to promote Desmond's synch. Rebecca's Animus 2.0 worked better.

Outside universe reason, what are sales potential of an Arab protagonist in the western world? Sadly, pretty low.
#28 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@artgarcrunkle said:

Dude was just ahead of his time.

He was a trendsetter. Eh? Eh? Hey!
#29 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -
#30 Posted by MachoFantastico (4890 posts) -

@Marz said:

how do you know what british sounded like in the 18th century? maybe british sounded american 600 years ago and the british accent evolved into what it is in modern times and the american accent is the true british accent!!!!

So maybe America is actually Britain, and Britain is actually America... crazy thought! :D

On a picky side note, there's no such thing as a British ascent nor is there one American ascent. There's so many variations of ascents in both countries it's sort of crazy. Hell, dudes on the internet think I'm dutch when I speak and I'm only from the Midlands :)

#31 Posted by ThePickle (4169 posts) -

We have no way of knowing what he actually sounded like. Washington was also born in the American colonies. Washington's great-grandfather was born in England but from then on they were born in the colonies.

#32 Posted by Nasar7 (2809 posts) -

@Marz said:

how do you know what british sounded like in the 18th century? maybe british sounded american 600 years ago and the british accent evolved into what it is in modern times and the american accent is the true british accent!!!!

Actually, you aren't very far off.

#33 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

American accents were used back then because it was the british accent that changed as time went on.

#34 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

I do recall reading an article about how the British didn't develop the non rhotic accent (don't pronounce the R) until after the advent of America. Maybe they were a lot more similar back then.

#35 Edited by Mikemcn (7022 posts) -

I don't know what George Washington sounded like, I don't think anyone alive can know what George Washington sounded like, for all we know he sounded like Popeye. Supposedly he would have sounded fairly American but it really doesn't matter.

#36 Posted by Brians (1465 posts) -

Frink: "Yes, over here, [...] in Episode BF12, you were battling barbarians while riding a winged Appaloosa, yet in the very next scene, my dear, you're clearly atop a winged Arabian! Please do explain it!

Lucy Lawless: Uh, yeah, well, whenever you notice something like that... a wizard did it.

Frink: Yes, alright, yes, in episode AG04-"

Lucy Lawless: Wizard!—The Simpsons, "Treehouse of Horror X"

Once again the Simpsons has a very appropriate explanation OP it was a Wizard.

#37 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

Ubisoft felt that the past Assassins Creed games were too historically accurate and so to attract more consumers they gave George Washington (also know as G Dawg* internally) a more modern accent.

*I don't want to spoil anything but keep on the look out for a CRAZY plot twist.

#38 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Northeastern American accent (stereotypical WASPy country club accent) is actually closer to 18th century British than modern RP British is. More you know.

Word, this is exactly it. The way people speak in England today is not the way people spoke in England in the 18th century, even less how colonials spoke. Same thing happened in France when Parisians wanted to distinguish themselves from the people who left for the new world.

History son! Also, video games son!

#39 Posted by Agent47 (1892 posts) -

@Ninja: Could also just be the trailer, the voice actor in the game isn't always the same as in the trailers.

#40 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -
#41 Posted by dungbootle (2428 posts) -

@Marz said:

That is actually true.

#42 Posted by Jaytow (707 posts) -

@Marz: Because people have described accents through books and journals?

#43 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

Man I learned a cool thing today. Thanks guys!

#44 Posted by Jimbo (10000 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@Brodehouse:

What about a Northeastern American accent a la JFK? How close would that be?

Washington spending the whole game talking like JFK would be amazing.
#45 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -
#46 Posted by Herocide (441 posts) -

@mustachioeugene said:

Everyone knows Lincoln had a thick Brooklyn accent, so this only makes sense.

Proof;

So what you're saying is Abraham Lincoln is secretly a sponge who lives in a pineapple under the sea.

#47 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -
#48 Edited by Jaytow (707 posts) -

@Kyle: This is a theory, one that isn't shared by anyway near a majority. Please don't state this as fact. It is way more likely that Americans kept some features of the accent whilest the British kept many more. This whole thing is just another "Wow this is super interesting" and yeah and it is but it's stretching the truth at best, lets not ignore the facts because it's a more impressive story.

#49 Posted by prestonhedges (1961 posts) -

@Jaytow said:

@Kyle: This is a theory, one that isn't shared by anyway near a majority. Please don't state this as fact.

Nope, they're into the quoting phase, now. The next ten pages will be people quoting that link and telling the three or so posts on the first page to shut up.

#50 Posted by Dtat (1630 posts) -

@Ninja: because dumb Americans buy these games -_- you're right though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.