Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Aug 21, 2007

Venture into the mysterious, Utopian underwater city of Rapture and discover what has turned it into ruin in this first-person epic.

Did people really find Bioshock THAT easy?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

Because I just completed it on Normal and while I can relate to the Vita-Chambers making things a wee bit simpler than they should have I thought actually killing enemies was fucking hard. I never really got a good understanding of what combination of plasmids I should use on which enemies because - well for me I only ever seemed to use Electro Bolt and Incinerate, and even at their highest power-up they didn't seem powerful enough.

For me the bow was the strongest weapon.

Having said that I thought it was Resistance-like in the way the enemies are super-tough to kill. And Big Daddies are impossible without the bow or grenade launcher.

I'm about to play the game through on Survival mode with Vita Chambers turned off. Wish me luck - I fear this is going to take a long, long, long time and a lot of patience.

Keano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Keano

Lol @ Bioshock being hard.

you can finish the whole game with a wrench. Play more shooters youll know what "Hard" is.
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Steve_C

I finished it a few hours ago after picking it up on friday. I found it kinda easy on normal, and i didn't harvest any of the little sisters. I used the wrench nearly the whole game; a few blows to the head and most things are down.

I took out most of the big daddies with the wrench/electro-bolt combo. I'd just piss one off and run to a vita-chamber, and as soon as it would kill me i'd just run out and smack it around the back of the head.

I don't think i have the patience to get that gold trophy though. I fear it'll just give me frustrating memories of the game.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BiggerBomb

I thought it was very easy, to be honest.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By get2sammyb
    Keano said:
    "Lol @ Bioshock being hard.
    you can finish the whole game with a wrench. Play more shooters youll know what "Hard" is.
    "
    *Ignores*.

You know I wonder if the difficulty has been tweaked for the PS3 version. Steve did you REALLY complete it with the wrench? It barely does any damage later on - even with the power ups?
    AvD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AvD

I think the Vita-Chambers made thing incredibly easy, not only did it enforce absolutely no penalty for dying but the enemies health remained the same when you die.  So the intricate fights that were suppose to be had Big Daddys could very easily be done with a pistol and an infinite amount of respwans.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Vaxadrin

I dunno, how easy is a game where you can't lose? :/

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Steve_C

Well i didn't use it all the way through, because it's obviously impractical in some areas, and didn't even try in during the final boss.

I just found it quicker to use the wrench in most cases, and guns often miss especially when the splicers start running. I'd just sprint up to a splicer and hit him a few times and he'd go down before he even had time to look around.

It would be a one-hit kill in some cases, as i was partial to a bit of stealth. I liked using the wrench lurker tonics and other wrench-y stuff, and had that stealth one where you turn invisible after a couple of seconds without moving. I also researched everything fully, so i guess my damage went up that way.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's probaby one of the easiest games i've ever played, but that's part of the charm. Difficulty shouldn't be what all video games are about and BioShock knew that better than most.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By get2sammyb
    Max_Chill said:
    "

ROFL!!!! Sony Cows who just got to play a year old game thinks that it "too hard"...........HAHAHAHA!!!!

too funny. Stick to your shitty Jrpgs with spiky haired 6 year old brats and leave FPS' alone.

"
    Ah-haha and so it starts. I have so many things I want to reply to this post but I'm debating whether to bother. Should I or shouldn't I?

Yes I think I should.

If I'm a Sony cow you're an XBOT. I never said the game was "too hard" (seeing as how I beat it?) - what I said was "did people really find it THAT easy?" because I don't think it was so easy.

I miss the joke sorry. LOLOLOLOLOLOL! Spiky haired 6 year old brats? Ironic that Mr. Max Chill because I'd guess you're no more than double said age and your first hands on with an FPS was Halo.

Mate, I was playing FPS' when Doom and Goldeneye were new. Don't pretend you're all high and mighty because you're too narrow minded to know that your system supports more than one genre.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By suneku

I thought it was pretty easy. The plasmid abilities made crowd control way easy, so I never felt overwhelmed.

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx
    Max_Chill said:
    "

ROFL!!!! Sony Cows who just got to play a year old game thinks that it "too hard"...........HAHAHAHA!!!!

too funny. Stick to your shitty Jrpgs with spiky haired 6 year old brats and leave FPS' alone.

"
    There are no jrpgs on the ps3 =( execept for  folklore but that game sucks
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I remember finding it hard at first. The first Big Daddy repeatedly beat the heck out of me. Then I was able to outsmart the AI and got him to just keep running towards me with a stairway or something holding him back and he wouldn't try to find a way to get around it, and I just unleashed all I had on the dude until he dropped. But it does get easier, and then you get certain ammo types and plasmids which are more effective against certain enemy types. Plus there's the fact that enemy's damage remains at the same point you lowered it to, even if you die. Regardless, excellent game.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Not easy, just tedious having to respawn like 3 times to kill a Big Daddy, and always being short on supplies.

Derios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Derios

I don't think it was as easy as people make it out too be, but as someone said a game doesn't have to be difficult to be fun, or good.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By get2sammyb

Sorry about that party people. Got goaded there.

SO Bioshock. When you turn the Vita Chambers off where do you respawn? At the last save or what?

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By thebeast

Everyone behave or I'll slap your wrists!

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crunchUK

well i forced myself to relaod insted of using the vita chambers. i haev to admit i did love the combat on bioshock... the way you had to set up a genius ambush for a big daddy was superb.

Bartiemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bartiemus

I found it easy as dying did not really punish you at all

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I found the difficulty annoying, since rather than actually having to plan everything out and either succeeding or dying and starting over, you either succeeded and kept fighting already weakened enemies. It made the game somewhat unappealing to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

TheGreatGuero said:
    "I remember finding it hard at first. The first Big Daddy repeatedly beat the heck out of me. Then I was able to outsmart the AI and got him to just keep running towards me with a stairway or something holding him back and he wouldn't try to find a way to get around it, and I just unleashed all I had on the dude until he dropped. But it does get easier, and then you get certain ammo types and plasmids which are more effective against certain enemy types. Plus there's the fact that enemy's damage remains at the same point you lowered it to, even if you die. Regardless, excellent game."
    While I agree with this on a certain level--the Big Daddies were more about planning and tactics more than head-on battles--the splicers did get remarkably more resilient to ballistic weaponry near the end of the game.

It's one of the few things I hated about this game.  The guns felt awkward, and the enemies didn't seem to notice the damage you were doling out. 
    AvD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AvD

What's with all these deleted posts?

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By bjorno

extremely easy, and I reloaded rather than vita-chambering.

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ocdog45

i played it on normal and its was fast and quick. let me play it on hard and it would probably play like it was normal. i want to try that new hard mode on the p3.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Zripwud

I don't know if it was easy, but the whole Vita-Chamber thing just screwed the experience. I mean, when I first fought the Big Daddy I was like: "Fuck this, i'm going to swim to the surface or die trying". But then, when you realize that if you die fighting a Big Daddy you can come back a few secs later and continue the killing, and again, and again. That's where  they start to lose what they made them scary in the first place.

Still, when they came running towards me they scared the shit out of me.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bulldog19892
    Keano said:
    "
    Ah Keano. You're immature trolling always makes me smile. Then I -1 you.
    teekazeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By teekazeek

I thought the game was fine difficulty wise.  I mean - Normal wasn't EASY I died here and there.  I didn't really like using the Vita Chambers just b/c usually if I was in a fight I'd play like I didn't have infinite lives.   In other words, I'd end up using all this health and ammo.  I usually just decided to re-load a save game.

I've heard on the harder difficulties it's quite difficult though.  Regardless, I found it to be an entertaining game - and that's what counts right?

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Demilich
    Keano said:
    "
    Goddamn, minus 11? He's right. BioShock isn't hard and you can beat the game with basically just the wrench and plasmids.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hexpane
    crunchUK said:
    "well i forced myself to relaod insted of using the vita chambers. i haev to admit i did love the combat on bioshock... the way you had to set up a genius ambush for a big daddy was superb."
    Yeah I *never* used vita chambers, I found those to be annoying.  I also barely used the wrench/bolt combo.   As others mentioned the Crossbow powered up is 1 hit kills for a lot of the game so yeah that can make it easy.

I tended to use plasmids that I found "fun" more than effective.  So I would constantly Befriend big Daddies and spend lots of time hacking turrets and cameras to farm money and have 9/9 9.9 health/eve.

I would not leave an area unless I had max health/eve and med kits and cash etc..  You can make bioshock as hard or as easy as you want, that's part  of what makes it so awesome
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By fr0br0

At first I didn't find it that easy. I was actually having a hard time killing the enemies, but I think that's more of it being a different style of shooter. Like aiming wasn't precise or something.

But about half way through I really started to get the hang of it and I did find it pretty easy. But I still had fun with trying out different combos of plasmids and guns.

BOOMheadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BOOMheadshot

the game is some what hard its just that dying has no consequence because u get revived at hopefully a close vita chamber so eventually you will succeed but it might take a 100 deaths before you do

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hexpane

people should not use the vita chambers, it's a totally different game.

the idea of constantly respawning to kill something sounds absurd

siLVUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By siLVUR

I didn't realize what the Vita-Chambers did till so much later in the game. I r sad.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hexpane
    siLVUR said:
    "I didn't realize what the Vita-Chambers did till so much later in the game. I r sad."
    they allow people with no skill to beat the game.  Respawning and wrench fighting a big daddy is essentially ZERGing, it's the epitome of phailure tactics
    Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gameboi

Not really. Big Daddy's are no pushover.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gameboi

And I'm not the type to respawn with the wrench thing.

Doogie2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Doogie2K

Well of course you can respawn with the wrench 400 times, like in the ZP video.  I think using that argument makes you a bit of a pedantic twat, but that's me.

I think part of my problem was because my computer is old (2003-04 vintage), so the game ran like crap, but my main issue is that the guns felt like peashooters, and that I tend to be more of a run-and-gun sort than a trap-setting sort.  Having played through once now and gotten the rough hang of it, I might find it much easier if I ever fished it out of a bargain bin for the 360 down the road.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.