Blizzard’s Next MMO May Include Product Placement

• 122 results
Posted by patrickklepek (6436 posts) -
World of Warcraft is getting a bit long in the tooth, and Blizzard has been working on Titan for years.
World of Warcraft is getting a bit long in the tooth, and Blizzard has been working on Titan for years.

Titan is the codename for Blizzard Entertainment’s next MMO, a project the studio’s alluded previously, while also keeping the whole thing a big ol’ secret. We don’t know much about it.

Whatever Titan actually is, the game may end up featuring in-game advertising and product placement, as Blizzard has put out a job listing seeking someone to work on that very idea.

Specifically, the job is for a “franchise development producer” on a “next-gen MMO.”

“Work with major consumer brands to facilitate product placement and licensing within the world of Blizzard Entertainment's next-gen MMO that enhances the gameplay experience,” reads the listing.

Contextualized in-game ads would support some previous rumors Titan would be a far cry from the fantasy setting of Blizzard’s other games, especially its still-popular World of Warcraft. Titan taking place in a quasi-real world setting has been brought up before, and it’s gained new evidence today.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (6436 posts) -

Titan is the codename for Blizzard Entertainment’s next MMO, a project the studio’s alluded previously, while also keeping the whole thing a big ol’ secret. We don’t know much about it.

Whatever Titan actually is, the game may end up featuring in-game advertising and product placement, as Blizzard has put out a job listing seeking someone to work on that very idea.

Specifically, the job is for a “franchise development producer” on a “next-gen MMO.”

“Work with major consumer brands to facilitate product placement and licensing within the world of Blizzard Entertainment's next-gen MMO that enhances the gameplay experience,” reads the listing.

Contextualized in-game ads would support some previous rumors Titan would be a far cry from the fantasy setting of Blizzard’s other games, especially its still-popular World of Warcraft. Titan taking place in a quasi-real world setting has been brought up before, and it’s gained new evidence today.

#2 Posted by Ciao (30 posts) -

Yay Horde Mountain Dew

#3 Edited by RockAction (375 posts) -

edit; damn, tried for that stupid first comment quest thing

in relation to the article if it helps make the product free to play or ease production budgets i guess it's fine

product placement is probably worse overall but i don't mind it compared to traditional in-your-face advertising

#4 Edited by MikeGosot (3237 posts) -

Reminds me of the new RE movie trailer. 

Edit: Here it is. 

Also... 
@RockAction said:

b

b? Really?
#5 Posted by Lokno (423 posts) -

Gotta pay the bills

#6 Posted by Doctorchimp (4180 posts) -

Product Placement means free-to-play right?

That has to be a sure sign.

#7 Posted by CoolYetiDance (78 posts) -

McDonalds cheeseburger will replace the healthy bread

Coca Cola, the new mana water!

Yeah, if they go all out this could be quite possible awesome!

#8 Posted by marvin_martian (95 posts) -

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-shaun-white-skateboarding/17-3376/

#9 Posted by Christoffer (2319 posts) -

Anyone else that thinks Titan is actually a pretty good title. I hope they'll stick with it. It beats any generic "Something of Something: the Something" fantasy standard.

#10 Posted by Itwastuesday (1210 posts) -

booooo

#11 Posted by benderunit22 (1762 posts) -

If that means it's free-to-play, I don't mind.

#12 Posted by Corvak (1786 posts) -

Predicting Freemium MMO now.

#13 Posted by Deusoma (3221 posts) -

I wonder if this means they're finally making Universe of Starcraft, or whatever you'd care to call it.

#14 Posted by Sjupp (1948 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

Product Placement means free-to-play right?

That has to be a sure sign.

Sounds very reasonable. I'm also very interested in a modern/close future setting.

#15 Posted by oatz (1109 posts) -

@MikeGosot: b

#16 Posted by Springfart (535 posts) -
Loading Video...
#17 Posted by PenguinDust (12985 posts) -

@BenderUnit22 said:

If that means it's free-to-play, I don't mind.

I hear that! Plus, I'd like a "real world" setting rather than fantasy or space stuff. If Blizz wants to fill the world with ads just like in real life, I'm okay with it as long as it makes sense and keeps the game free.

#18 Posted by Rongaryen (303 posts) -

I have no problem with product placement as long as it makes contextual sense.

#19 Posted by RiotBananas (3822 posts) -

IT'S A REAL WORLD MMO WHERE YOU JUST LIVE A LIFE. GETTING INTO FIGHTS AND NIGHTCLUBS IS WHERE ALL THE PVP IS AT AND HAVING A CAREER/CRIME LIFE IS RAIDING. DONE.

#20 Posted by cassus (401 posts) -

Calling it, their next mmo (following all the other remake/sequel crap they are doing) will be a Rock & Roll Racing game. World of Rock & Roll Racing. That way the banners and ads will be right at home around the track.

New IP my ass.

#21 Posted by MikeGosot (3237 posts) -
@oatz said:

@MikeGosot: b

b
#22 Posted by stinky (1564 posts) -

just want to say i know where that screenshot is at in WoW, i know that quest, and i HATED it.

#23 Posted by Swoxx (3032 posts) -

Red bull mana potions, aww yeah

#24 Posted by Narx (195 posts) -

Mists of Pandaria was them jumping the shark, what did you expect?

#25 Posted by JuxJuxJux (69 posts) -

@Springfart: Hadn't seen this. Who knows if they're right, but it's still interesting. Thanks for posting!

#26 Posted by Sweep (10130 posts) -

I'm sure it will be very tasteful.

No Caption Provided
#27 Posted by dillonator (167 posts) -

HELL YES BURGER KING ADS IN THE LOST VIKINGS MMO

#28 Edited by bistromath (745 posts) -

Watch this 30 second ad before grinding your dailies!

#29 Posted by Stahlbrand (901 posts) -

Fuck dat.

They better not charge people if they're going to sell their users to advertisers.

My curiosity is diminished.

#30 Posted by WJist (330 posts) -

So banned gold farms will be advertising in Azeroth now? Cash4Gold.com.cn is a go!

#31 Posted by AlKusanagi (1416 posts) -

Nothing a Terran Marine loves more than leveling up in the World of Starcraft with the Colonel's Original Recipe!

#32 Posted by TheKbob (153 posts) -

@cassus: IVAN UNLEASHES HOT FURY!... brought to you by Big Red™!

#33 Posted by Rexicon (108 posts) -

Heads up, if you want me to drink coca-cola potions and get a Columbia Sportswear helmet so I can play a game cheaper than 15$ a month, then lets ride this train.

#34 Posted by Hector (3546 posts) -

Hey, if it lowers the monthly price or it turns out to be F2P then I don't mind.

#35 Posted by DukesT3 (2094 posts) -

None fantasy MMO? I'm in.

Well, maybe...

#36 Posted by Subjugation (4950 posts) -

This better be a sign of ditching the subscription fee model.

#37 Posted by corganmurray (41 posts) -

I bet it "enhances the gameplay experience" the same way commercials enhance the television experience haha

#38 Posted by Blubba (565 posts) -

I actually don't have a big problem with product placement unless it holds back the gameplay.

#39 Edited by Cybexx (1563 posts) -

This supports the free-to-play rumours. Its all about implementation, so if the implementation doesn't get in the way of trying to play the game and is displayed in a way that doesn't break the immersion too much I'm cool with it. Blizzard has been fairly careful with their brands in the past, so I expect them to carry on that tradition with this game.

#40 Posted by Xeirus (1636 posts) -

@TheKbob said:

@cassus: IVAN UNLEASHES HOT FURY!... brought to you by Big Red™!

I fucking love BR !

I'm sold!

#41 Posted by Subjugation (4950 posts) -

@Springfart: Whoa, that's a crazy theory in that video! Good find.

#42 Posted by MeatSim (11129 posts) -

If it means it's Free-To-Play or has a cheaper subscription fee then I am fine with it.

#43 Posted by Sooty (8194 posts) -

Deathwing, now sponsored by Vagiclean.

Jim Carrey knows what's up.

#44 Edited by CornBREDX (7170 posts) -

sounds an awful lot like another MMO that came out a while ago, but I cant remember the name of it. 

Edit: I remember

#45 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Bladerunner style, big neon signs. :D

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
#46 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7598 posts) -

I can live with looking at Coca Cola logo's, if it means I don't have to pay a subscription.

Hopefully we can get some armour sets like this guy

No Caption Provided
#47 Posted by blueduck (965 posts) -

Facebook game

#48 Posted by mistersamman (377 posts) -

I don't care, I love Crazy Taxi because I could drop someone off at the KFC. Also I could imagine a world where I receive coupons from Titan. So go for it Blizzard and make your MMO.

#49 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12504 posts) -

I hope it'll be like the Japanese version of MGS: Peace Walker, with stuff like Mountain Dew cans and bags of Doritos as items.

#50 Posted by coakroach (2497 posts) -

I'm sort of ok with this for an MMO (assuming it will be free to play).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.