Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: World at War

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

The fifth installment of the Call of Duty series, bringing most of the gameplay and graphical improvements of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare back to World War II conflict. It is also the first Call of Duty game set in the Pacific Theater.

Am I the only one...

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zereta

Who likes this more than COD4?

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Akeldama

Yes you are. 

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pause422

Yes.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Yes.
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By meptron

no. you're not the only one.... but I don't agree with you and you are definetely in the minority.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jimbo

No, I'm sure you aren't the only wrong person out there.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422
    @Tarsier said:
    " No. I don't like COD4. WaW is a much better game in my opinion. The maps are better, the guns are funner to use (and more realistic), I prefer the dogs over the helicopter, and I prefer the artillery over the weak airstrike. It also just has better all around production quality.

I also prefer historic warfare over modern warfare.
    "
    Thats a good one Tars. Good joke.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MeierTheRed

Your properly not the only one, but it will be hard to find others that agree with you. I just finished up World At War, and i hated it so much. Had the single player part been longer (and it was fucking short, to my luck) i might not have finished it.

It all felt flat to me, story and action.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zereta

COD4's Single Player while better, won only by a bit. Sure it was intense and the Nuke scene and the 'final' moments of soap were awesome. However, the story, besides those 2 points turned into just the normal "Oh no! Terrorists!" storyline. I felt that while the 2 emotional moments in WAW weren't as powerful, the overall story and the ability to fully relate it to real world situations (duh) made it more worthwhile. However, I enjoyed COD4's Singe Player more. Enjoyed it more but kinda resented the story.

Multiplayer wise: I'm not a big fan of both. I think I was just spoilt by Halo 3 but COD4 and COD: WaW are not games that you can't take a break from. And I have rarely come to a situation where if my team started to lose, we weren't gonna get back up. The losing team loses.
    Also, I find the Perk and Unlock System broken and unfair. There comes a point where the good players get better and the not so great players get stuck trying to catch up, all the while getting destroyed by people with significantly better perks. Sure, the somewhat generous ranking system makes up for this (In fact, this is one thing I hoped Halo 3 will take) but it comes to a point where it just gets frustrating.

However, when it came down to it, in Multiplayer, it felt more satisfying killing dudes with old WWII era weapons then with M16s and other Modern weapons.
    bartholomew999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By bartholomew999

Sorry bud, WaW is a fun FPS and the Zombie mode wasn't particularly new but it wasn'y terrible, but CoD4 is the shizzle ma nizzle.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Out_On_Bail

You're not the only one.  When I logged on yesterday to WaW there was 70,000 people playing online.  When they had the bonus xp weekend there was well over 100,000 people playing online.  Trust me, your not alone.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Tarsier said:
    " No. I don't like COD4. WaW is a much better game in my opinion. The maps are better, the guns are funner to use (and more realistic), I prefer the dogs over the helicopter, and I prefer the artillery over the weak airstrike. It also just has better all around production quality.

"
    They see me trollin
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RHCPfan24

You are not the only one, no. But that doesn't mean you are right ;)

Seriously though, I don't really mind World At War but I find Modern Warfare to be better in so many other ways. The single player was more memorable, multiplayer has a bigger pull. The only advantage I can give to WaW is Nazi Zombies, but even then, it is a poor man's Left 4 Dead.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By innacces14
    @Zereta said:
    "Multiplayer wise: I'm not a big fan of both. I think I was just spoilt by Halo 3 but COD4 and COD: WaW are not games that you can't take a break from. And I have rarely come to a situation where if my team started to lose, we weren't gonna get back up. The losing team loses.
    Also, I find the Perk and Unlock System broken and unfair. There comes a point where the good players get better and the not so great players get stuck trying to catch up, all the while getting destroyed by people with significantly better perks. Sure, the somewhat generous ranking system makes up for this (In fact, this is one thing I hoped Halo 3 will take) but it comes to a point where it just gets frustrating.

However, when it came down to it, in Multiplayer, it felt more satisfying killing dudes with old WWII era weapons then with M16s and other Modern weapons.
    "

To be honest the reason why I like the COD series is because of those reasons.

Halo 3 was great in all the epicness it brought to the table (end of trilogy, film your matches, 4 player co-op, etc.), but by the time November flew by I got tired of the same old shield regenerating system that it just got annoying to watch a 2000+ pound of armor jumping around....mocking me....coming back after a couple of seconds of waiting for his/her shields to come back up....

Anyways, point of the matter being was that I got tired of Halo 3. It was a game that killed many hours out of my life when I needed it, but I didn't buy a (then) $400 box of bolts to play a game. When COD4 came around it cured that itch.

Yes. COD4/WaW are games you can't take a break from, but that was good for me. Always keeps players on their feet rather then camping for 10 minutes. If they are camping? Two words; Kill Cam.

Ironically the whole "losing team loses" happens against the team I'm in more times then the fingers I can count on my hands and thensome. It sucks, but if it happens, it happens.

The Perk/Unlock system got broken in COD:WaW (in my opinion). The way COD4 handled it had a groove to it by keeping numbers at a steady pace (25 kills, 75, 150). That was all ruined by how WaW added certain attachments to certain weapons (25 kills, 75, 100?, 150). Same thing goes with Perks, and not to be another cat telling you this, but you just gotta find a combo with the perks. A silent/suppressed/flash hidden weapon with Bomb Squad, UAV Jammer/Camouflage, and Dead Silence can do such a s*** storm to an opposing team that if you're lucky you can knife 'em all in a row without dying. Even so, if that's what's getting your team behind then two word; Kill Cam. All in all it's the same as Halo. Find your groove, stick to it, then get ready to blindside the enemy with a new tactic.

I can go on and make the rest of this comment "Infinity Ward fanboyish", but I resent the fact that some people call COD4 "The Perfect Game". I enjoyed this game, but like Halo, I can't base my console out of the merits of a single game. I enjoyed WaW as well, but the multiplayer maps were too big and you are almost never 5 seconds away from the battle. The addition of vehicles was a bummer, but if teams work together to take that one sucker down then the game gets awesome points from my behalf.  If anything this game makes sniping look cool again. Map end to map end sniping is so satisfying that it's a real let down that the next sniper after the Mosin-Nagant is about 12 levels away, hehe.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By angelkanarias
    @innacces14 said:
    " @Zereta said:
    "Multiplayer wise: I'm not a big fan of both. I think I was just spoilt by Halo 3 but COD4 and COD: WaW are not games that you can't take a break from. And I have rarely come to a situation where if my team started to lose, we weren't gonna get back up. The losing team loses.

"

To be honest the reason why I like the COD series is because of those reasons.

Halo 3 was great in all the epicness it brought to the table (end of trilogy, film your matches, 4 player co-op, etc.), but by the time November flew by I got tired of the same old shield regenerating system that it just got annoying to watch a 2000+ pound of armor jumping around....mocking me....coming back after a couple of seconds of waiting for his/her shields to come back up....

Anyways, point of the matter being was that I got tired of Halo 3. It was a game that killed many hours out of my life when I needed it, but I didn't buy a (then) $400 box of bolts to play a game. When COD4 came around it cured that itch.

Yes. COD4/WaW are games you can't take a break from, but that was good for me. Always keeps players on their feet rather then camping for 10 minutes. If they are camping? Two words; Kill Cam.

Ironically the whole "losing team loses" happens against the team I'm in more times then the fingers I can count on my hands and thensome. It sucks, but if it happens, it happens.

The Perk/Unlock system got broken in COD:WaW (in my opinion). The way COD4 handled it had a groove to it by keeping numbers at a steady pace (25 kills, 75, 150). That was all ruined by how WaW added certain attachments to certain weapons (25 kills, 75, 100?, 150). Same thing goes with Perks, and not to be another cat telling you this, but you just gotta find a combo with the perks. A silent/suppressed/flash hidden weapon with Bomb Squad, UAV Jammer/Camouflage, and Dead Silence can do such a s*** storm to an opposing team that if you're lucky you can knife 'em all in a row without dying. Even so, if that's what's getting your team behind then two word; Kill Cam. All in all it's the same as Halo. Find your groove, stick to it, then get ready to blindside the enemy with a new tactic.

I can go on and make the rest of this comment "Infinity Ward fanboyish", but I resent the fact that some people call COD4 "The Perfect Game". I enjoyed this game, but like Halo, I can't base my console out of the merits of a single game. I enjoyed WaW as well, but the multiplayer maps were too big and you are almost never 5 seconds away from the battle. The addition of vehicles was a bummer, but if teams work together to take that one sucker down then the game gets awesome points from my behalf.  If anything this game makes sniping look cool again. Map end to map end sniping is so satisfying that it's a real let down that the next sniper after the Mosin-Nagant is about 12 levels away, hehe.

"
    wow, a yes or a no would be fit as a response.
    Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Driam

I think 4 has a better campaign, whereas WaW's better at multiplayer. I played the wii version though, so don't know about nazi zombies or the three vehicle maps.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By fugie7

yes

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19  Edited By natetodamax
    @Ossi said:
    " Yes. "
    @Akeldama said:
    " Yes you are.  "
    @pause422 said:
    " Yes. "
    @Death_Unicorn said:
    " Yes. "
    @Jimbo said:
    " No, I'm sure you aren't the only wrong person out there. "
    @fugie7 said:
    " yes "

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kmdrkul

I thoroughly enjoy the game and cannot fathom a reason why some gamers are a step away from starting a holy war over their hatred for it.  Really, it's technically sound and the multiplayer is a blast to play.  It's just that, well, WaW is just CoD4 only not quite as good.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By bubahula
    @natetodamax said:
    "@Ossi said:
    " Yes. "
    @Akeldama said:
    " Yes you are.  "
    @pause422 said:
    " Yes. "
    @Death_Unicorn said:
    " Yes. "
    @Jimbo said:
    " No, I'm sure you aren't the only wrong person out there. "
    @fugie7 said:
    " yes "
    "

this
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zereta

Beautiful post innacces14. I totally see the angle you are coming from.

I guess it comes down to the one thing peopl always use as a counter argument when comparing The Call of Duty series (particularly MW and WaW) to Halo (It happens a lot): They are two different games. I like to think of COD4/WAW as having a deeper multiplayer experience and adds a level of complexity that requires maximum input from the player. Whereas, in Halo's multiplayer, its just given to you in the map and your starting loadout is fixed. You just jump in and kill dudes. No complexities. It appeals to different people I guess and at the end of the day, I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of those games because of the different flavor.

But back on topic, I felt that World at War took COD4, changed the timeline (Losing some of the emotion of the story in the process), changed the guns and beyond that just expanded on the awesome experience that was COD4 with Co-op and Nazi Zombies and all that other fun stuff. Certain reviews wacked it for its lack of originality but I think that's irrelavant in this point because if the end product is good, why attack that so called 'flaw'?

It may be just the technology of the weaponry and the fact that the story in Modern Warfare can actually relate to happenings in the year now that drive COD4 ahead of WaW. I'd give it that: The guns in COD4 and seeing the Jets fly by and Helicopters at 5 and 7 kill streaks respectively is awesome. Its fun. But WaW gives me a more satisfying experience that I just can't put my finger on.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By kush

I wouldn't say that I like COD: WaW more than COD4 (because I don't), but I do believe that WaW gets way too much hate simply because it wasn't developed by IW. I actually think the MP is enjoyable and the SP campaign, specifically the American campaign, was pretty fun as well...as long as you don't play on Veteran. I don't think it's a better game than COD4, but there's no denying that it's a good game and a lot of fun.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ineedaname

I think WaW is more fun, but COD4 is a little more serious in terms of it's online play.

I play WaW more though based on the fact I like WW2 guns.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187
    @Kush said:
    " I wouldn't say that I like COD: WaW more than COD4 (because I don't), but I do believe that WaW gets way too much hate simply because it wasn't developed by IW."
    This.  I also don't think W@W is a terrible game.  By all means, I find the multiplayer to be quite fun.  The maps aren't nearly as great as those on CoD4, but the actual gameplay of multiplayer isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.  The funniest part is that most people who bitch and complain about the multiplayer can't give you a single solid reason why they don't like it that can't also be said about CoD4.  W@W relies less on spray 'n' pray tactics than CoD4 does, however, and that makes me happy.  Accuracy actually fucking matters.

Regardless of those comments, I play CoD4 on the PC more than anything because that's the one all my buddies want to play.  They apparently have terrible aim and believe in sniping with an M60.  =  /
    Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gahzoo
    @Tarsier said:
    "No. I don't like COD4. WaW is a much better game in my opinion. The maps are better, the guns are funner to use (and more realistic), I prefer the dogs over the helicopter, and I prefer the artillery over the weak airstrike. It also just has better all around production quality.

"

i actually chuckled under my breath while reading this.
    Truth be told, i thought i was going to like WaW more. I didn't.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By jakob187

To anyone claiming that the Perks/Unlock systems for the games are broken:  I've never had a problem slaughtering with the base weapons in either game, but then again, they happen to be some of the best weapons available in both games.  Maybe that's just me, and I know that the actual stats of the weapons are lower in some cases to other later unlocks, but the base weapons are still great in both games.  Saying they aren't makes me wonder if you people are actually any good at the games or not.

Also, this thread makes me realize that I need to get back on the CoD train and bust some 1Ks off.  Call of Duty 3 may be one that I avoid like the Plague (as that game DID suck).
    marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28  Edited By marlow83

No, I know people who like World at War better. I like them both about the same.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By PercyChuggs

Oh please people, get over the whole Treyarch thing, and enjoy the damn game. Multiplayer was just as good as it was in Modern Warfare. I didn't even try the single player.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CL60

Are people seriously arguing over this and calling people trolls if they prefer WaW?....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.