Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

Thoughts on the new Endurance Run after the first episode

• 116 results
    RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By RazielCuts

I think its funny to actually look through an old JRPG through the eyes of a Ryan Davis and Patrick Klepik. Like usually I just accept JRPG's for their weirdly speaking NPC's and story beats because hey, thats what a JRPG is but its good to have a commentary pointing out the little foibles in a light hearted way, something I would never normally do myself.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By eroticfishcake

Seems alright so far. I'm not expecting a lot from it considering that I've already played the game but it's something to look forward to every day so I'm cool with it.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Dogma

@HotSauceMagik:

Depending what you do at the fair you get a different ruling in the trial later in the game. You may have noticed that Barle said to Brono that "Stop pulling my arm like youré a kidnapper". That sentence was heard byt he merchant and will get used against you during the courtroom scene and so will stealing/eating others food and trying to sell the pendant etc.
    onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By onyxghost

Ryan as always has an enjoyable watchable personality. Patrick is also funny to listen too. Sadly, the endurance run is less the game and more of the daily misery of Vinny and Jeff. VJ is the endurance run duo I need out of this segment. Im sure Ryan and Patrick will do a good and enjoyable job nonetheless.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#55  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'll just write down some bullet points:

• I highly approve of the Brono trend, at least until Bagus. (That just sounds like a bitch name.)
    • STOP SCREWING THINGS UP! I don't want to have to yell at the screen because you guys are being assholes at the fair. Patrick: why aren't you preventing Ryan from eventually being executed?
    • I'm not sure what I think of Patrick rapping. All I know is that I should make a TVTropes account just so I can add Pretty Fly for a White Guy to the Giant Bomb page.
    • I know that this is nitpicking, but how can Ryan not know the "run a pencil over the button" trick? I've seen FAQs recommend that trick in other games. In fact, I'm fairly certain that a GameSpot guide was one of them.
    • The sciencing at the teleporter was pretty cool, especially when they pointed out a minor plot hole.

So, yea, that's about it. They suck at the game (I have no faith in their ability to rescue mothers), but their personalities are carrying it for now.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#56  Edited By jimi

I am scared they are going to be executed, but the first episode was very entertaining :)

I completed CT last year on my DS so it's nice to revisit the characters through some new eyes.

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Vashyron

@Video_Game_King: Technically, that isn't screwing things up. It doesn't ACTUALLY affect the game that much since you end up in the same place regardless when all of that stuff comes up. In fact, most people probably were condemned the first time they played through the game without prior knowledge because they were unaware that the game is going to bring all that shit back up and go "Hey, remember when you stole this dude's chicken? Yeah, not so smarmy now, are ya?" Besides, it's not like you can actually get executed.

I didn't know about the "run a pencil over the button" trick. Probably because I have never looked at a guide for the game, so I'm sure neither has Ryan.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#58  Edited By Hizang

I enjoyed it, having never played CT it adds an extra sense of fun.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By rapid
    @Dogma said:

@HotSauceMagik:

Ryan is so screwed when he gets to the "court scene".  
    I bet Patrick knows this, but didn't care to warn him about the consequences of  his actions. But then if he had spoiled it then and there, it would be less fun for Ryan.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#60  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Vashyron said:

I didn't know about the "run a pencil over the button" trick. Probably because I have never looked at a guide for the game, so I'm sure neither has Ryan.

I was actually saying that it's more a general trick for a lot of video games (think "poor man's turbo"). In fact, I think the first place I saw the trick was in GameSpot's guide for Banjo Tooie.

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Vashyron

@Video_Game_King: Ah. I see. Sort of makes sense, though I still would have never thought of it until now.

WilyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By WilyBoy

I think everyone is overestimating Patrick's memory. It seems pretty obvious that he remembers very little about this game, considering he played it once fifteen years ago. I don't think he "spoiled" Marle's identity, so much as make a joke about a common trope in any story, JRPG or otherwise. Some random girl was running around AND lost her magic pendant AND the king's daughter is around here somewhere... it's not hard to guess. I don't think we have much to worry about Patrick spoiling anything. At the very worst we'll having him going "Oooooh yeah I remember when that happened" after certain parts of the story, though even that is doubtful.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By prestonhedges

Guys, they can't actually get executed. Unless they sit in the cell and wait three days.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Giefcookie

I'm liking it so far but I'm not sure about Patrick yet. If he has to be a part of it Ryan is the only one he could be partnered with. Hoping it all works out, more content is more content.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By CptBedlam

@DeeGee said:

That said, the fact Patrick has finished the game really bugs me. The plot isn't a surprise to him, he knows what happens when and how to do it. I'm worried it will just be full of him hinting at stuff that's to come, or telling Ryan how to solve stuff instead of letting him figure it out. I mean, he totally just flat out spoiled that Marle was the Kings daughter. I have never played this game, I didn't know that. I bet everyone will be all "But it was obvious!". I didn't immediatly think that.

Exactly my concerns, too.

It's not even the minor spoilers that'd bug me the most. It's about the whole experience. Patrick roughly knows how the game will progress, end etc.

Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Lavapotamus

Enjoying it so far and I'm a newcomer to Endurance Runs. I can't imagine attempting to make the introduction of an RPG entertaining, but Patrick and Ryan are doing a decent job so far. I doubt they'd restart if the battery does eventually screw them over though...does anyone have the patience to do something like that with an RPG? Whenever I lose a save file, I almost never play the game again.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Dogma

@Vashyron said:

@Video_Game_King: Technically, that isn't screwing things up. It doesn't ACTUALLY affect the game that much since you end up in the same place regardless when all of that stuff comes up. In fact, most people probably were condemned the first time they played through the game without prior knowledge because they were unaware that the game is going to bring all that shit back up and go "Hey, remember when you stole this dude's chicken? Yeah, not so smarmy now, are ya?" Besides, it's not like you can actually get executed.

I know that you cant get executed and that it in essence leads to the same result BUT the insight that you get during that proceeding is priceless. It's really cool "ooohhh...." moment in the game.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By CL60

@CptBedlam said:

@DeeGee said:

That said, the fact Patrick has finished the game really bugs me. The plot isn't a surprise to him, he knows what happens when and how to do it. I'm worried it will just be full of him hinting at stuff that's to come, or telling Ryan how to solve stuff instead of letting him figure it out. I mean, he totally just flat out spoiled that Marle was the Kings daughter. I have never played this game, I didn't know that. I bet everyone will be all "But it was obvious!". I didn't immediatly think that.

It's not even the minor spoilers that'd bug me the most. It's about the whole experience. Patrick roughly knows how the game will progress, end etc.

The last time he played it was when he was 11 years old... I doubt he remembers that much.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By BSw

Never played the game, and I don't have a large interest in these type of games, but it's fascinating how quick this video got me hooked. That really shows the skill of Giant Bomb's reviewers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I like Patrick more than I thought I would but still miss vinny

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By TentPole

@Tebbit said:

I am a well documented Vinny fanboy, so I miss the fact that he isn't in it, but Ryan and Patrick are a good duo. I don't know why, but it's kind of disappointing that Patrick has already played through it (albeit a billion years ago), because some of the most hilarious moments of the previous endurance runs have revolved around the players discovering something and being genuinely surprised by it. BUT, full steam ahead, I say. I'm really looking forward to this, because I've played through the first 10ish hours of Chrono Trigger four or five times, and I never managed to finish it.

I have plenty of misgivings but this is my only real legitimate complaint. For me it is a big one.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

I don't know but I won't be able to enjoy this too much. I've played through the game myself just a year ago actually (for the first time).

Still I wouldn't have the slightest problem with watching an endurance run if, and only if none of them has actually played through it before. Because it's can be just so funny when you see someones reaction and you already anticipate what they may say at this and that etc.

But like this? Patrick obviously still knows a lot about the storyline and plot. And I suppose also more about where to go etc. then he wants to admit. So basically all I'd watch this for is seeing Ryans reactions to everything... that's not much.

BRNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By BRNK

Oh internet, you never cease to amaze me with your capacity to complain!

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By shaunk

@dabe said:

Pretty good. I just wish they'd chosen to play it without the ATB system, because I'd rather watch them talk out what their next moves are going to be instead of rushing into actions.

Actually it doesn't matter that much in chrono trigger, I believe that once you make a decision between attack, tech, and item the enemies start attacking. Its a fairly minimal change.

@DeeGee said:

I enjoyed it.

Maybe I'm wrong though, totally pumped for a new Endurance Run.

Ryan figured it out too. He didn't seem phased at all by it, and he didn't actually say it outright.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#76  Edited By Dagbiker

the First episode of the Persona 4 Er is sucks. it might be the weakest shit after the video game dungeon.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Dagbiker

@CL60 said:

@CptBedlam said:

@DeeGee said:

The last time he played it was when he was 11 years old... I doubt he remembers that much.

the last time i played myst it was 1994 and i was 8, i still remember what happens in myst.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#78  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Alright everyone. Someone just proposed on the Wiki Queue that Crono's name be changed to "Brono."

Don't do that. Don't be that guy.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I don't think I'll be keeping up with this Endurance Run as much as the last two. I've got two main issues with this now that I've watched the first episode:

• Patrick is really unpleasant. Really. I don't find him funny, his constant humming of the game's tunes is grating and his describing what's going to happen later on in the game is also annoying.
    • No voice acting makes it hard to follow. For the past Endurance Runs, my focus was solely on those videos while I watched them because they were very entertaining and I hadn't played those games before, but with Chrono Trigger, it's a game I've played before so I'm doing other stuff on the PC while watching the video. No voice acting requires me to actually focus mainly on the ER video if I want to follow what's going on.

I don't like Chrono Trigger, but that's not that much of a problem for me compared to the two points mentioned above. I guess this is about what I was expecting from this ER.

@Dagbiker said:

the First episode of the Persona 4 Er is sucks. it might be the weakest shit after the video game dungeon.

I enjoyed that episode a whole lot. Same for the Deadly Premonition episode 1 of the VJ run. They trump episode 1 of the CT ER.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#80  Edited By Vorbis

@DeeGee said:

I enjoyed it.

My thoughts as well.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By prestonhedges

@Dagbiker said:

@CL60 said:

@CptBedlam said:

@DeeGee said:

the last time i played myst it was 1994 and i was 8, i still remember what happens in myst.

What happens in Myst, then?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Cloudenvy

@ZombiePie said:

Alright everyone. Someone just proposed on the Wiki Queue that Crono's name be changed to "Brono."

Don't do that. Don't be that guy.

As if this is going to stop them!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@gladspooky said:

You don't remember stories of games you've experienced when you were a kid?

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By fishmicmuffin

It was highly enjoyable. I'm looking forward to watching it all of the way through.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#85  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I liked it. The looming threat of potential save battery woes has me excited. What will happen if the save dies? Will they replace the battery and start over? Give up? Change to a newer version of the game? WHO KNOWS?!!?!

Also, Brono.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#86  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@gladspooky said:

Some people have a horrible memory. Remember the Deus Ex Ql with Patrick? Not only was that a mere 10 years ago, it even was his favorite game of all time.

Didn't remember shit about it!
    SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

Fuck all the haters. I'm already hooked and can't wait for more.

@MooseyMcMan said:

Also, Brono.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#88  Edited By GreggD

@SpartanAmbrose said:

Fuck all the haters. I'm already hooked and can't wait for more.

@MooseyMcMan said:

Also, Brono.

Yes. And yes.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#89  Edited By Nux

So far I'm really likeing it, I can't wait for tomorrows episode!

Titl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Titl

The one thing that might get me to not watch this ER is the lack of voice in the game. it might be that i just miss the "yes, great shot, great, great." from DP

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By sjupp

@DeeGee said:

I enjoyed it.

I must say, it was kinda obvious. :P:PP But I see what you're getting at. I'd rather watch Patrick speed up the process a bit rather than have them stumbling around not knowing what to do. Well, I find that incredibly frustrating.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#92  Edited By Masha2932

I was disappointed that they didn't make a big deal of the return of the Endurance run. It has been a while since the last one and I was hoping for a recap show below leading in to the new one. 

Chrono trigger is not my type of game so I'm really hoping they mix up the gaming commentary with general stories and anecdotes. I also hope at the end they do a 'question of the week' type video to get the community's feedback on their memories of Chrono trigger and their favourite moments from the endurance run.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#93  Edited By turboman

The first episode was fun... much better than the first episode of Persona 4 and DP runs.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#94  Edited By WightnNerdy

I'm not going to lie, it was pretty boring like the other endurance runs. I've never been a fan of them, personally. I'd rather just play the games myself.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By prestonhedges

@FluxWaveZ said:

@gladspooky said:

Yeah, I do. I just want to know what happens in Myst.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By white

I respectfully disagree that Chrono Trigger is the best RPG of all time. Because Xenogears is clearly the superior product, albeit broken - it had potential!

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Slaker117

I like Byan and Batrick, so I enjoy it, even if the game of choice isn't grabbing me.

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By 1p

The first episode mainly reminded me of how goddamn fantastic Chrono Trigger is. Tremendous game all around.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By sungahymn

I'm cautiously optimistic. If the save file actually gets erased, I'm going to laugh out loud.

Also, the tradition of giving the character stupid names in the ER is pretty well cemented, but it's still stupid. Crono (and everyone else) will always have the default name in my heart.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#100  Edited By Mnemoidian

It's fine, I'll watch it.

Some parts where they were overly dismissive rubbed me the wrong way a bit, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

also, the music is pretty good, even if I do wish the SNES could've pulled this off:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.