Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EA Games

Company »

EA Games is a publishing label used by Electronic Arts for most of its non-sports titles.

EA Launches New Digital Retail Service, Makes It the Sole Way to Purchase Star Wars: The Old Republic Online

• 162 results
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By raiz265
    @wewantsthering said:
    If it's not on Steam and it's on PC, I won't buy it.
    sounds pretty retarded.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@raiz265 said:

@wewantsthering said:
    If it's not on Steam and it's on PC, I won't buy it.
    sounds pretty retarded.

Well at least I can correctly write a sentence and not call people offensive names. :-) I guess you don't have a bunch of friends you want to play games with on Steam. I don't want to migrate all of my friends (especially my less tech savvy friends) over to a new service to play games. If that's retarded, the definition must have changed.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Seppli

Still ain't got no online distributable cash. If I had any, I'd be kneedeep in Steam. Competition can just be good for day 1 pricing.

Summoboomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Summoboomo
    @somejerk said:
    Will they let people download their games purchased via the service whenever they want, even years after, like Steam does, or will they be aholes about it again?
    In my experience, EA's pretty horrible with their DRM and downloading games. So, uh, prolly not.  Which is why I won't be jumping head first into using this service, even for 'exclusive editions' of BF3. EA... EA hurt me. :( 

I think it's weird that they're using the Old Republic as their service-exclusive thing. That just seems silly.
    jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#105  Edited By jay_ray

Plain and simple, I will never leave Steam, I have to many games on there to be able to leave. So this Old Republic thing does suck, so I will buy a boxed copy and play it that way unless EA adds a pretty awesome bonus.

allgamelover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By allgamelover

This seems like a bad idea because I'm a PC gamer, and I can't see myself going away from Steam to EA. GOG and Steam are my only sources, apart from very rare Direct2Drive purchases. The real problem is that if they charge 59.99 for PC games when they will no longer have anyone in between, I will seriously consider not buying then. I do consider myself a hardcore PC gamer, and this has not one me over. I hate having a million accounts, and having to deal with each one. Why don't you just make your own console then EA? *ughh, what a day that would be*

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#107  Edited By Tennmuerti

Because let's face it SW:TOR needs less sales.

Edit: also I really don't want to deal with a download manager for every publisher out there.
    Edit2: also EA store accepts a FAR smaller variety of credit cards then Steam.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#108  Edited By Marz

isn't this just the same as the EA store and Ea Downloader.  

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By Jimbo

I'd like to see more publishers have the balls to do this, or at least have the balls to make buying directly the cheapest option - but some of the saving they make (by not paying a retailer cut) has to be passed on to the customer. The current market of ~£23 for retail copy delivered, £30-£35 Steam, £30-35 for a digital version direct from publisher, is broken as fuck.

Give me the option to support PC gaming by buying directly from the publisher and I will, but I'm not gonna pay over the odds for the privilege of doing so.

Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#110  Edited By Piranesi

It looks like they have just changed the logos - bought Battlefield 2142 from EA the other week and it seems identical. Same log-in, same layout, same prices.

Hopefully they can add a patching system as getting BF2142 to play on 64bit wasn't easy at all.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#111  Edited By Jimbo

Also: The ChEAse Stands Alone.

Scigrex14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#112  Edited By Scigrex14

While I do think competition is always good for things, this just looks more like a cash grab then a well thought out online plan.

Tying Old Republic to this may help, but I can also see it turning into the thing I need to log into to get onto Old Republic and nothing more.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By blueduck

Dear EA, 
    Please just use Steam. 
    Thank you.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#114  Edited By Yanngc33

So EA is trying to create the next battle.net. lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

NEWELL COMIN'!

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By McShank

I will only use steam as it tracks my hours :D and to have multiple sites with games i own having my info is not for me.

Roddykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Roddykat

EA hates PC people. *Kanye shrug*

m0n3d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By m0n3d4

Over 150 titles, including PC and console titles (which, yes, you will still have to have shipped to you)... 

It should, perhaps, be noted that PC titles can be downloaded via Origin and do not necessitate a physical medium being shipped to you.
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By coaxmetal

That's dumb. Good thing the old republic is going to suck, I don't have to worry about not being able to get it on steam.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#120  Edited By tourgen

Single-publisher online distribution "stores" with walled-off friends lists & mobile apps are fucking stupid. I bet it requires some background client to run at startup too. More passwords, more secondary logins, more crap and BS for me to wade thru to get and play my game.

Just selling an activation code from a web site would be fine if I could do it as a guest. It's all the secondary data and metrics they sponge off you like a leech as they take your money that pisses me off. Why do I have to WORK to buy and play your games EA?

samsaturday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#121  Edited By samsaturday

Is calling this store Origin meant to be a slap in Richard Garriott's face? And if so, should I start wishing for a Bioforge sequel???

Probably not for either...

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I think this will hurt the sales of TOR, but if EA really wants Origin to be significant, then they have to do this. They need to have exclusives to increase the user base.

Frankly, I'm surprised Microsoft made such a piss poor attempt with Games for Windows. They needed to put some money and muscle behind the idea like EA is obviously going for with Origin. If MS doesn't announce any updates for their PC front at E3, then they'll fall even further behind and probably not have a fighting chance again (on the PC front) until the next console wave.

Amducious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Amducious

Congratulations ea, you've given even more people reason not to buy your games. Silly sods.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By 137

they had their own online distribution for years, it sucks. steam will hold a game for life, ea's last system would only hold a digital copy of your game for a year or two. So I can never play crysis without buying it again. All of my DLC add on's for Battlefield 2. Lost forever and special forces. So EA can kiss my ass thinking I'll support this re-launch.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By RVonE

@137 said:

they had their own online distribution for years, it sucks. steam will hold a game for life, ea's last system would only hold a digital copy of your game for a year or two. So I can never play crysis without buying it again. All of my DLC add on's for Battlefield 2. Lost forever and special forces. So EA can kiss my ass thinking I'll support this re-launch.

Wait, is that true?

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#126  Edited By Gerhabio

The Wire, good stuff

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By MrKlorox

Aw fuck. I have a feeling this means Battlefield 3 will not be on Steam. Have they said otherwise?

I knew they would either re-launch the EA Store or succumb to Steam. And the latter sounded crazy since it's EA we're talking about. I hope all my EA Store/EA Downloader games I have registered are automatically unlocked in this service.

@RVonE said:

@137 said:

Wait, is that true?

No. All the games I have linked with EA Downloader/EA Store are permanent. This dude is just spouting some internet legend BS. My BF2 and expansion is sitting in my games list looking right at me.

k4el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By k4el
    @Enigma777 said:
    What's with all the complaining?   Competition = good.   Plus the new EA DLM is not too shabby and it seems like they have an even better one in  beta (not to mention mobile support).
    In other matters you might be correct but this is a different ball game. People don't want their digital licenses all spread out on different services. It's also important to take into account that EA is a huge publisher and if they are competing with Steam it's likely they'll stop releasing and supporting games on steam to strong arm people to their new service. Take into account that EA's digital distribution platforms have sucked in the past and I think you'll understand why people are complaining and in general unexcited.
    greyfoxv1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#129  Edited By greyfoxv1

I'm still going to run SWOR through Steam overlay after I buy it.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By tim_the_corsair

It's like EA don't want the Old Republic to be successful.

You want sales on PC, you put your shit out on Steam.

nidzumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By nidzumi

EA's previous efforts at digital distribution have been... well not so great. That and the fact that I'm too invested in Steam to want to start again with another service. Hopefully this doesn't mean the end of EA on Steam as they can put out some great PC versions of their games.

Network_Punk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Network_Punk

Between Steam, Desura, Impulse and Gog.com (Does that technically count?) I am content with my digital retail services. EA is shooting themselves in their own foot if they limit themselves like this.

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By shaggydude

I've already got too many digital storefronts to juggle and I only have 3: Steam, Impulse and GFW. If Microsoft has the crappiest of those 3, why would I ever trust EA to do it better? This news actually makes me happy that there is another reason to stay the fuck away from Old Republic.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Codeacious
    @MrKlorox said: 

@RVonE said:

@137 said:

Wait, is that true?

No. All the games I have linked with EA Downloader/EA Store are permanent. This dude is just spouting some internet legend BS. My BF2 and expansion is sitting in my games list looking right at me.

Actually, he's right. At one point, the EA Store only allowed you to download things for a certain period of time. However, people bitched, and before that period was up for anyone, they changed the policy to the life policy they have today.
    GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By GioVANNI

More competition towards Steam's seeming monopoly on the downloadable game market is always a good thing.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By CL60

The people that want TOR, and will actually stay with it wont care where they have to buy it contrary to what a lot of people in this topic seem to believe.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Simplexity

Let the trainwreck begin!

It's going to be glorious guys.

Kordesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Kordesh

EA is gearing up to knock Sony off the crown of being so overly self important and stubborn that they destroy themselves at every turn. The EA store was a pitiful mess of DRM and account issues to begin with. Now they're attempting to bully people into buying crap from it by forcing you to use it if you want their "special editions" (read full version of the game) and are shooting themselves in the foot by requiring Old Republic to use it, a game that was going to have issues to begin with, and who's potential player base just took a hit before the game even began from this move. For the record, yes, you can buy a boxed copy in stores, but be certain that it will still require you to sign up, install, and use their Origin bullcrap to actually play. Bonus points for the major privacy issues in this iteration of the nightmare that is the EA store as well (other users can view your personal info, including real name, and there is no privacy setting to adjust it. Additionally, the EULA states that just about everything you say and do, be it chatting, time played, or games purchased, will be sold off to third parties for advertising purposes.)

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#139  Edited By Kyle

Lame. Valve won, EA. Let it go. They killed your old platform and they'll kill this one. Quit muddying up our PC gaming experience.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By 137

@isnipeyoudie said:

@MrKlorox said:

@RVonE said:

@137 said:

Wait, is that true?

Actually, he's right. At one point, the EA Store only allowed you to download things for a certain period of time. However, people bitched, and before that period was up for anyone, they changed the policy to the life policy they have today.

@MrKlorox : Hopefully your computer came equipped with google so you could research and probably post proof I'm full of shit before making cool statements like "INTERNET LEGEND"....

hey look at this, proof you're a moron "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Store

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By MrKlorox

@137 said:

@MrKlorox : Hopefully your computer came equipped with google so you could research and probably post proof I'm full of shit before making cool statements like "INTERNET LEGEND"....

hey look at this, proof you're a moron "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Store

I'm not the fucktard who paid for something for 24 months of use. You're the one making full of shit statements, fool.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Dizzyhippos

You know whats a good idea? Making people jump threw hoops for a game that you need to succeed for your company to continue to exist

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#143  Edited By carlthenimrod

Seems like a bad idea. The Old Republic isn't going to get people to invest into that downloadable platform and they are going to lose potential sales on Steam. If I was actually interested in this game I would sooner buy it off Amazon before investing in this unproven platform. More so based on EA's track record for downloadable services.

thepantheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By thepantheon

I wanted TOR on Steam so that sucks.

But it's good for the PC industry (not that we're dying, ha.) that EA is paying attention to the market with some interesting ideas on their distribution methods.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#145  Edited By xpgamer7

I'm interested in valve's reaction to all this. After all a little competition is good for everyone.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Lukeweizer

Origin is such a terrible name.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#147  Edited By cornbredx

Sounds like the same thing Blizzard does with their games. I'm not totally surprised; it's a pretty decent idea I suppose if you want 100% profit on digital downloads.

For ToRO it makes sense. That's generally how most MMOs try to do it- unless they arent making enough sales then they branch out. If ToRO does what EA wants it to then it will make complete sense.

Boy, they really are gambling a lot on ToRO. Bit disconcerting at this point.

MforMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By MforMaverick

I don't care as long as I don't run into any problems when it comes to getting SW:TOR.

morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 37

#150  Edited By morecowbell24

Surprising that EA would sign with Gog and do this... Oh well, at least they did in fact sign with gog.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.