Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

Goddamn, stop the FF7 hate.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By SSully

If anything brad and jeff are in the minority. I hear people express that ff7 is their favorite ff more then any other game in the series.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#52  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Yeah because there is so much hate for FF7 on the internet...

StalkingTurnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By StalkingTurnip

You understand one of the reasons they gave for disliking it was the fanatisism. This thread if they ever saw it would make them hate it more

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
    not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By not_a_bumblebee

I love Final Fantasy 7 but I fucking hate the fan boys. 

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#55  Edited By musubi

FF7 is awful. Just awful. Do people forget how horrible the translation was or how paper thin a villain Sepiroth was? God that game is just actively awful.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By galiant

@Leptok: They can hate it, you can love it - independent of each other. Stop whining.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By SamStrife

@Demoskinos said:

Do people forget how horrible the translation was or how paper thin a villain Sepiroth was?

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By cmblasko

I like FF7, but it is clear that it's success led to a significant change in the tone of all future FF games, which I think is what fuels peoples' poor attitude towards it.

EDIT: As of this edit, FF7 is currently trending on Twitter... did that Quick Look seriously set off THAT much discussion?

DOUBLE EDIT: Scratch that, seems to be news that FF7 is being re-released on PC.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By BoG

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@BoG said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

7 had the best characters, music and world.

Characters: IX

Music: VIII

World: VI

I will not defend this, because it is subjective. I like VII. I like just about every Final Fantasy game. Calling VII the greatest game ever is going overboard, but it's a absolutely a classic JRPG.

Characters were pretty generic in 9, didn't really have alot going for them apart from Vivi just trying to be comical all the time, 8 had alright music up until your floating in space and the J Pop starts, and 6's world wasn't anything special. Opinions! 8 and 9 are my other favourite, can't get into 6.

Yeah, it's all opinions. I'll admit, I think Squall is an awesome character, but most of the world hate him for valid reasons. And hey, I love 8's soundtrack, but if the J-Pop is whta got you down, at least it wasn't heavy metal.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By OmegaPirate

No!

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

opinionslol

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By time allen

ff7 is the greatest game of all time and if you don't agree then go fuck yourself why doesn't jeff go play some more geers of war he's an idiot with no taste

p.s . brad sucks

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Leptok
    @horseman6

@Zaccheus said:

Ok I just read the OP post and have to say, what the fuck? How is it a problem for you if they don't like FF7? They have their opinions and you have yours. It takes absolutely nothing away from you, no reason to be butthurt.

It's one of the reasons why people dislike FF7, the hardcore FF7 fans hold that game in such high esteem that if you talk about it negatively at all they scream bloody murder. It gets to be a bit irritating.

No, what I don't like is how they hate the game for the stuff around it, and all the stuff that has happened since. I never played FF again after 8, and agree with them. It's become their FF punching bag when the game itself is fine.

I don't want them to love, just lay off the game itself.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Spoonman671

You should probably go ahead and get over it.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Hunkulese
    @Leptok
    @Arker101

You trying to hold back a waterfall with your hands. 'A' for effort, but it just can't be done. You can't kill fanboys opinions, especially on the internet.

Fine, have an opinion, but don't talk like the game exploded your playstation and killed your dog with plastic shrapnel.

Yeah, they don't like the way the series went after 7, but it's not the game's fault.
    Um yes it is. 7 was a huge success so they kept making similar games.
    tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By tsiro

@C2C said:

re-listening to the small section where they mention FF7 (1:45:51 for those interested), I think the hate is less for the actual game than it is the legacy of FF7. Hating on the legacy of FF7 (the fanboys, the wrong people being credited to FF7's success, Square's reaction to FF7's success, the impact it would have on JRPGs as a whole) is quite understandable.

They also mentioned this in the Theatrhythm QL, and this is the message that I took away from there, too.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#68  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

7 was ass.

6 was ace.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#69  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@SamStrife said:

@Demoskinos said:

or how paper thin a villain Sepiroth was?

Mmhmm.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Nottle

FF7 isn't my favorite, but I appreciate it for what it is. I think the only crappy thing about it is the sequels to it. Its only been a few years but I thought at the end of Clouds arc he actually became the hero and got over all of his emotional baggage. Then In the sequels he goes back to being all lone wolf sad guy again.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#71  Edited By XenoNick

FF VII is my favorite game ever and I will never tire of playing it ( Hell I've finished the damn thing over 30 times). However it isn't the best game in the series. That goes to IV or VI.

EDIT: I does always make me wonder why some people have to bitch and whine. Are you worried something isn't as great as you think it is because someone thought otherwise?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#72  Edited By MEATBALL

It's just a generational, thing, I think. If you're Brad and Jeff's age the 16-bit Final Fantasy's are probably the pinnacle of an era of Final Fantasy that was formative for them, if you're ten years younger you're probably more likely to feel that way about the PSX FFs. Up until FFXIII the main series is pretty much unquestionably high quality, really - you'll have your preferences amongst those XII games, sure, but it's probably misguided to draw the line at FFVI or IX or something. (of course, I might be doing the same thing for FFXIII, but that game seems to have a lot more that is somewhat objectively wrong with it >_>)

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@Leptok said:

There's nothing objectively wrong or broken with it. I feel like they lay into for subjective reasons and spite for somehow denigrating the games before.

This is pretty low-hanging fruit, but I'll comment anyway.

First off, judging a game is mostly subjective to begin with. Second no, I would dispute that FFVII was a great JRPG, it wasn't. There is a strong argument that could be made that the gameplay was actually a step backwards from FFVI and looks somewhat feeble compared to FFVIII and doesn't compare at all to Xenogears, another (then) Squaresoft title.

The idea that there is nothing objectively wrong with FFVII is laughably absurd. Again, the gameplay underachieved big time. This shortcoming was only made more glaring with the release of VIII. The materia system felt like it was tacked on, just for the sake of making one feel like there was more gameplay to be had. The plot was par for the course for most FF games, in other words serviceable. but nothing extraordinary.

FFVII was mediocre back in 1997, and it only looks worse year after year. For many younger gamers, FFVII was the game that popped their cherry while being the first FF game of the 32-bit gen and those are likely the only reasons why the game sticks out as it does, and that's likely all.

KillerPidgeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By KillerPidgeon

Hey...guess what? I don't like ANY of the Final Fantasy games. There, I said it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No.

Fuck your final fantasy games.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By aurahack

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Nottle

Can anyone give me a reason any other FF character like Cecil, Butz, Squall, or Terra is better than Cloud in terms of characterization?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Turambar

Patrick saying on the Bombcast that VIII was better was pretty idiotic, but you know this thread isn't going to do any good.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#79  Edited By musubi

@aurahack: You like to use that GIF don't you. =p

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ShaggE

@Leptok said:

@ShaggE

They tend to speak in extremes when they mention something offhand. It's not meant to be taken literally.

No, just about everytime final fantasy as a whole comes up, they go out of their way to pour pure hate and discontent all over 7.

If that's how they feel, then so be it. Their words aren't going to break into your house and steal your copy of the game.

bloodlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#81  Edited By bloodlines

Oh buhu they don't like something you like. So people got different opinions, which is good.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#82  Edited By TheHT

@QuistisTrepe said:

The idea that there is nothing objectively wrong with FFVII is laughably absurd.

*sigh*

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By smokeyd123

@Turambar: How is that idiotic? I think 8 is a more enjoyable game. (opinions) Is seven really a better game, objectively speaking? Granted the story in 8 was INSANE.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@BoG said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I will not defend this, because it is subjective. I like VII. I like just about every Final Fantasy game. Calling VII the greatest game ever is going overboard, but it's a absolutely a classic JRPG.

Sums up my opinions well.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By aurahack

@Demoskinos: I had it still saved in my clipboard, and fits the situation perfectly. Also, yes.

You're additionally all insane, XII is clearly the superior FF from anything past VI.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By MarkWahlberg

FF:TA or GTFO

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By notdavid

The limited graphics make FF7 for me. They were forced to include a sense of style that the later games in the series gave up on. And I came to that game 10 years too late.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#88  Edited By YI_Orange

How about fuck the main series all together? Kefka was awesome, but that's all I really care about. Now Tactics, THAT'S a videogame.

@MarkWahlberg: Tactics Advanced was an abomination.

(Actually, I admittedly never beat it, got burnt out on sidequests years ago. As a game, it was just fine, but the world was ughhh. Maybe I was comparing it too much to the original Tactics, but that first snowball fight I think illustrates what I dislike about that game pretty well)

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Turambar
    @smokeyd123 said:

@Turambar: How is that idiotic? I think 8 is a more enjoyable game. (opinions) Is seven really a better game, objectively speaking? Granted the story in 8 was INSANE.

Shittier story, shittier character, shittier combat system.  Also there's no such thing as objectivity when we're talking about the "better game" unless we're just comparing things visually.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Turambar
    @aurahack said:

@Demoskinos: I had it still saved in my clipboard, and fits the situation perfectly. Also, yes.

You're additionally all insane, XII is clearly the superior FF from anything past VI.

Considering IX was a pre-VII game, that statement makes no sense.  (I wouldn't contest having XII in either second or third place though.)
    Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Petiew

Why is IV rated so highly when VII is now being slammed?
    Mind control and the constant sacrifices are ridiculous, the levelling system is very linear and very little customisation or strategy is involved. Yet Jeff and others see it as the golden game in the series.
    I think that its aged badly but I did not play it when it was released, is it a genuinely good game or are people just blinded by nostalgia?

Avatar image for captaincharisma
    CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By CaptainCharisma

Am I the only one who just really liked all Final Fantasys except the MMOs? 6,7, 9, and 10 are all my favorites but they're all pretty good in my book.

P.S. to all haters, I am fully aware that I am not the only one in the world who feels that way.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@MarkWahlberg said:

FF:TA or GTFO

That game was dog shit. That is all.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#94  Edited By irrelevantjohn

Jesus guy... It's just ones opinion. I personally think FF7 sucks but I understand the appeal of it after talking about it with friends who think it's their number 1 game in the world. You either like it or you don't. Simple as that.

Also it didn't help that Square Enix milked the goddamn franchise. Although I did like Crisis Core.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@C2C said:

Patrick saying that FF8 is a better game still baffles me beyond belief though; I would legitimately like to know why he thinks its a better game.

Why is this seemingly controversial to you? I also happen to think VIII was a better game. In fact, I'd go so far as to say VIII was the game VII should have been in terms of graphics and gameplay. Why does something have to be legitimized to you anyway?

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#96  Edited By musclerider

Oh what's this?

Just the Internet being the Internet.

Soffish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Soffish

Personally, I think all the Final Fantasy games were all products of their time. I don't think any of the FF games have aged particularly well, and I don't feel like it's really all that fair to judge them from a modern point-of-view.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By aurahack

@Turambar: IX was in development concurrently with VIII, post-VII. I don't know what you are thinking of otherwise. Unless it's time period/setting, in which case why the shit would that make a difference.

@IrrelevantJohn: I know opinions are opinions, but how in god's name did you enjoy Crisis Core? That was one of the most dreadful, unbearable, annoying, boring, eye-stabbingly cringe-worthy stories I have ever played through.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@BoG said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@BoG said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Characters were pretty generic in 9, didn't really have alot going for them apart from Vivi just trying to be comical all the time, 8 had alright music up until your floating in space and the J Pop starts, and 6's world wasn't anything special. Opinions! 8 and 9 are my other favourite, can't get into 6.

Yeah, it's all opinions. I'll admit, I think Squall is an awesome character, but most of the world hate him for valid reasons. And hey, I love 8's soundtrack, but if the J-Pop is whta got you down, at least it wasn't heavy metal.

Heavy Metal > J Pop = Fact

Bleeble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Bleeble

I know this is going to be hard to believe, but not everyone likes the same things you do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.