Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy X

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Jul 19, 2001

The first Final Fantasy game for the PlayStation 2 brought cinematic quality to the series with voice acting and fully 3D environments. The story follows Tidus, a young man transported one thousand years into the future to find a world quite unlike his own.

How do you feel about the Final Fantasy X HD remake?

• 172 results
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Marz
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By Marz

If you didn't know by now, Square announced an HD version of FFX for the PS3 and Vita was coming soon.  Personally i would have rather seen VI or VII gotten renewal, but i guess it's probably easier to port a PS2 game instead of remake an older game.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shiftymagician

Indifferent personally. I do like playing the idea in my mind that they are just trolling the FFVII fanbase in particular by jumping right past it to X instead.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By alistercat

PS2 games are much easier to change the resolution. I'm fine with it, because it's been years since I've played it and if I'm going to play it again it might as well be a better version.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Axersia

Indifferent. 

Still waiting for that Kingdom Hearts 10th Anniversary HD Collection.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp

I feel like I'm not going to play it...

I was 10 when I played it and I enjoyed it, I really doubt I'd like to go back.

VI or IX would have been cooler. Or maybe FFXII, but with no Vaan and a retooled and more focused plot would have been great...

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I am all for it!

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RaikohBlade

I never thought it was that outstanding of a game. I'm sure it'll sell well, since it seems to have a large fanbase. The story and the characters are what make it special I suppose. It terms of the battle system, it wasn't anything spectacular. I still don't know why they don't release FF7 HD, since that is sure to be an instant success...

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Devoid

I wanted V more than X. Does X really need a remake yet?

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By niamahai

Giddy as fuck. Knowing there is a 360 version, that means it will have achievements.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind

X was where the FF series disconnected for me, I thought it was a pretty bad game.. So I can't say I'm excited, but I'm not surprised either, there was always going to be an HD version of this and XII won't be far behind, they're just the easiest of the games to do HD ports of. Any of the older games would require far more work.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Samaritan

I want to see what their definition of updated is. If it's just an HD-ification, then that's disappointing as compared to a full-on remake. That said, I think it's pretty hilarious how often and willing Square is to piss on its fans desires.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimbo

Dear FF7 fans:

Love from Square x

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Axersia
    @niamahai said:

Giddy as fuck. Knowing there is a 360 version, that means it will have achievements.

So far it's only been announced for PS3 and Vita.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hadn't heard of that until now, but that's actually pretty cool. X is my favorite Final Fantasy, and I'll enjoy playing it again.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NTM

I have all of the Final Fantasy games (or at least I should say I am able to play them all because my brothers has them), and FFX is one of my favorite out of all of them. I'm happy about it. I only got to the Seymour flux battle and didn't get to finish it because this terrible, terrible glitch happened making it impossible for me to get past him. I don't quite remember what happened, I think the game froze. Anyways, it's great that it's coming out in HD, 'cause that's one of the greatest PS2 games. I think FFXII would still look fantastic by today's standards aesthetically.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nottle

I bought FFX like 2 weeks ago. I beat it over the weekend. Now I'm playing X-2. X was a decent game. I don't care much for Tidus or some of the Nomura art style. The world was interesting but near the end I felt the story was convoluted. It had some decent characters and a good battlesystem. Also some terrible minigames. Since I just played it I'd hate to go back anytime soon.

I agree with everything said so far. KH is good. They should make a new one.

The Final Fantasy games most deserving of a remake are probably VI and VII. I just really don't like the realistic Advent Children look. The original FF7 had characters that looked like they were from a mid 90's anime, it fit those characters because they were a bunch of anime archetypes. FFVII is a fine game. I think it is overated, but it's a game everyone should play. There is some charm to the way cutscenes were back then, weird chibi Cloud had to express himself with funny animations and text. Now I'm affraid it will have bored sounding voice actors and cutscenes with things like motion capture. Same thing goes with VI, it's one of my favorite games, but if it would have a major remake hopefully it's done well so that it feel like a better game. There are characters in VI that are way more interesting than characters that are voiced and fully modeled in the more recent games simply because they have some personity to them.

Also I wouldn't mind an excuse to play IX, i got to disc 2 and liked what i played.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EchoEcho

@ShiftyMagician said:

Indifferent personally. I do like playing the idea in my mind that they are just trolling the FFVII fanbase in particular by jumping right past it to X instead.

Square's been trolling their customers for years, in my opinion. They've done very little since the early PS2 days that hasn't made me shake my head in disappointment or disbelief (and even back then I could see my faith in them waning). They've already run pretty much all of their non-Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts franchises into the dirt through shitty, half-assed entries (see: Seiken Densetsu series) and even FFXIII was an overwrought, terrible mess -- again, in my opinion. Never cared for the KH games, so I didn't play any of them past the first.

All that said! (getting on topic here) I liked FFX back when I first played it, but I really don't think it needs an HD upgrade -- it holds up relatively well, considering how old it is. Unlike most of the Final Fantasy fanbase, though, I didn't care for VII all that much. I liked the materia system, but most of the characters (except Cid because he's hilarious, and Vincent because he keeps his trap shut) and the story were mediocre at best, and downright terrible at their worst. I would, however, like to see FFIX redone in current-gen splendor. FFVI should get the FFIV treatment on the 3DS/Vita -- except better.

If I had to guess why it's FFX getting the treatment and not FFVII, I'd say it's just an easier process -- they can probably reuse a lot of the assets and just upgrade them, beef up the poly count and up-res the textures. Also -- and this is probably the primary reason -- FFX was the best selling FF game in Japan in its time, outstripping even FFVII in popularity.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Nottle: I do think that's one of the biggest problems a remake of VI and VII (especially VII) would have. People keep expecting it to be redone in some kind of super realistic style, but the game was originally very anime and quite silly in places. Can you imagine the cross dressing sequence with realistic looking characters? That'd go from being slightly amusing to down right creepy.

I'd love to see an HD version of VII with redone graphics, give the chibi little guys a bit more texture and detail. That'd be preferable over a full-fledged remake.

Also, you definitely should play the rest of IX.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20  Edited By zyn

Pretty excited. FFX is my #1 Final Fantasy game, OF ALL TIME!

Hoffafiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hoffafiles

I figure since I played and liked X-2 my argument is invalid?

I'll just assume so...

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm indifferent to it. My worries, are mostly two things. Is it even going to come america, or a japan only release? And secondly, the price. 1 game like this, unless MAJOR *like mgs twin snakes major* changes are made, I wouldn't charge more than 30$ for it. I'd say if you can release crysis as a downloadable, you could do the same to ff10

The issue is, unlike final fantasy 12 which looks godawful on a decent hdtv since its native resolution was slightly lower than 480i like most later gen ps2 games, final fantasy 10 looks fine on every tv I've seen it on. Since the game run natively at 480i, it looks great with the smooth colors, even upscaled to 1080p on my ps3. A bit jaggy, actually REALLY jaggy in spots, but it looks good. Since my ps2 was prone to tear discs up, never got to finish ff10 sadly. Could only get to a certain point. Gots a reason to play through it again

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By shiftymagician

@EchoEcho said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

Square's been trolling their customers for years, in my opinion. They've done very little since the early PS2 days that hasn't made me shake my head in disappointment or disbelief (and even back then I could see my faith in them waning). They've already run pretty much all of their non-Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts franchises into the dirt through shitty, half-assed entries (see: Seiken Densetsu series) and even FFXIII was an overwrought, terrible mess -- again, in my opinion. Never cared for the KH games, so I didn't play any of them past the first.

All that said! (getting on topic here) I liked FFX back when I first played it, but I really don't think it needs an HD upgrade -- it holds up relatively well, considering how old it is. Unlike most of the Final Fantasy fanbase, though, I didn't care for VII all that much. I liked the materia system, but most of the characters (except Cid because he's hilarious, and Vincent because he keeps his trap shut) and the story were mediocre at best, and downright terrible at their worst. I would, however, like to see FFIX redone in current-gen splendor. FFVI should get the FFIV treatment on the 3DS/Vita -- except better.

If I had to guess why it's FFX getting the treatment and not FFVII, I'd say it's just an easier process -- they can probably reuse a lot of the assets and just upgrade them, beef up the poly count and up-res the textures. Also -- and this is probably the primary reason -- FFX was the best selling FF game in Japan in its time, outstripping even FFVII in popularity.

Very fair thoughts sir and I agree with them. Personally after playing through the mess of a story X had (and to be fair VII wasn't exactly amazingly written either), I find it interesting that a lot of people still like the game. I would guess that it is because of the core gameplay mechanics involved (I did like how the battles played out to be honest), but I could never understand how people could just sit there and absorb every piece of noise that came out of Tidus alone. I liked Auron though so that helped me go through it even after the dreaded laugh scene.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By devilzrule27

Loved 10, will play again.

Would like a FFIX remake but i don't see that happening so I'll just continue playing the PS1 version.

Mechwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mechwing

Now i get to suck in Water Soccer in HD

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I'm pretty stoked.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By InternetDotCom

Only if there is move supported Blitzball

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By MEATBALL

They chose the wrong PS2 Final Fantasy.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nottle

@WinterSnowblind: I feel like my memory of Cloud is different than everyone elses. People seem to think he is a serious "emo" guy. I only recall him brooding towards the end of the game where he gets lost in the lifestream and you play as Cid for a while and Cloud has to relive parts of his life. From what I remember Cloud was a goofball, he wasn't always this super cool guy that could omnislash way up in the air. He had the cross dressing scene, the date with Barret, the play, snowboarding, jumping onto planes, and shooting hoops. I don't think the Golden Saucer could exist anywhere but popeye arm land. He also had 8 different character models during the game. Everytime he took his buster sword out as a chibi he looked like a kid on Halloween.

That would actually be pretty cool if there was still the really bad transitions between the styles. The parts where characters are hideously deformed are left in tact, but they are now super detailed, and the parts where they are shaped like people look amazing.

In FFVI you can't make Gau or Mog into characters that exist in a realistic 3D world. I could see a FFVI remake looking like IX. I think that would be kind of clever actually.

I'll get around to playing IX. I had it for an emulator a few years ago, but now I have a Ps3, there is a good excuse to pay for it. For some reason whenever they try to make the characters "simple" I like them a whole lot more. I also need to play VIII, but I've heard that one is terrible, or the best one depending on who your talking to.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#30  Edited By galiant

Had to replace my backwards-compatible PS3 with a slim, so I'll be happy to revisit one of my favourite PS2 games in HD. It's been a while.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By devilzrule27

@MEATBALL: @MEATBALL said:

They chose the wrong PS2 Final Fantasy.

Yeah they totally should have went with Dirge of Cerberus

/sarcasm

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cornman89

Indifferent.

I love that goddamned game, but like with many of these HD remakes, I have no desire whatsoever to purchase it again.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Remake is probably the wrong word for this.

Hoffafiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hoffafiles

OH GOD Blitzball,

I had forgotten, those were dark times

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By devilzrule27

i was a master at Blitzball. I played that shit for hours.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It's not a remake. It's just an HD remix thingy that is popular these days. All they're doing is upscaling the textures and maybe touching up a couple of things, and then throwing it on a disk and releasing it. It's a quick and easy port.

If they were to do an HD version of FFVII they would have to do a full on remake, which would take a lot of development resources.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By McShank

@niamahai said:

This is for ps3/vita.. not 360..

Also FFX is where i lost interest in the franchise. (Besides tactics) The story sucked and the characters sucker beside auron or whatever because he was just badass. And lulu because who doesnt like a nice belt dress. And for all the ffvII fans out there, why is that game even that good? I played it and stopped like 10hours in because i got bored. shit i spent more time playing Crisis core then i have of that game. Maybe a remake would make it better but it has never grabbed my attention. Now FFix is another thing as an HD version of that game would be bought by me in seconds even though i own it on psp, ps3 and PS1.. Now that was the last good FF.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho

Im all for an actual HD remake. But Sony's pathetic idea of what constitutes an HD remake on their consoles doesn't interest me.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@McShank: That might be a bit presumptuous. Square like money, there's no reason they wouldn't release this on the 360 as well. It wasn't announced at the event, but that may have had something to do with the fact it was a Sony press conference. I'd be willing to put a lot of money down on a 360 version being announced ;)

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ryanwho

@WinterSnowblind said:

@McShank: That might be a bit presumptuous. Square like money, there's no reason they wouldn't release this on the 360 as well. It wasn't announced at the event, but that may have had something to do with the fact it was a Sony press conference. I'd be willing to put a lot of money down on a 360 version being announced ;)

I'd take that bet. Its not a huge "get" for Sony and not really worth pursuing for Microsoft. The original was a PS2 game and that makes it an easy port with upscale to the PS3. They'd actually have to do a modicum of work to get it working on 360 and its not worth the effort.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By devilzrule27

@ryanwho said:

Im all for an actual HD remake. But Sony's pathetic idea of what constitutes an HD remake on their consoles doesn't interest me.

Sony's? You mean every publisher who puts out HD remakes...They've all been the same and will continue to be the same.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By devilzrule27

@WinterSnowblind said:

Honest question but is porting a PS2 only game to the 360 as easy as porting it to the PS3? Doubt these companies want to put much work into these things.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Hizang

First Final Fantasy game I played, never finished though, so this gives me that chance.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Excited as hell.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ryanwho

@devilzrule27 said:

@ryanwho said:

Sony's? You mean every publisher who puts out HD remakes...They've all been the same and will continue to be the same.

No, this idea of a "remake" only seems to permeate on the PS3 because Sony's encouraging it. They're leading the way, even. That's what being in 3rd for so long gets you, you're so desperate for exclusives you give the greenlight for publishers to just port their PS2 games (and Wii games too so the 5 people who own a Move have something to play). In a couple months they'll be talking about hentai game exclusives. Nothing to lose at the bottom, might as well go for it.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By devilzrule27

@ryanwho said:

@devilzrule27 said:

@ryanwho said:

No, this idea of a "remake" only seems to permeate on the PS3 because Sony's encouraging it. They're leading the way, even. That's what being in 3rd for so long gets you, you're so desperate for exclusives you give the greenlight for publishers to just port their PS2 games (and Wii games too so the 5 people who own a Move have something to play). In a couple months they'll be talking about hentai game exclusives. Nothing to lose at the bottom, might as well go for it.

Microsoft just made a "remake" of their biggest franchise. Ubisoft made HD "remakes" of two of their biggest franchises. Konomi is doing HD "remakes" for MGS and Silent Hill on both PS3 and 360. All the publishers are doing it because its a quick way to make a cheap buck. It has nothing to do with a desperation for exclusives, which the PS3 clearly doesn't lack.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ryanwho

I did forget Wiimakes but that was over pretty quickly because the Gamecube library was limited. Sony is naturally in the best position to do this lazy shit because they were the console leader last gen so they have the biggest library. That doesn't make it any less lame. Their rallying cry this year practically hinges on this inundation of 'remake collections' and that's just sad.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Vexxan

Never played FFX so I don't mind, looks more and more likely that I'll buy a Vita anyway.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By Meowayne

Sure, it was a fine game that is probably lost on many of today's gamers, considering how many of them were in preschool (if at all) when the game was released, and the more people get to play it, the better. And the idea of playing it again with a new coat of paint and achievements very much appeals to me.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By time allen

found out about this this morning. fucking pumped. hope they release it on 360, tho. ;_;

also: seeing as it's just a hd update, i'm sure there's nothing squenix can do to fuck it up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.