Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Defending Final Fantasy XIII

• 102 results
    Cross_Marian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cross_Marian

NOTE: I did not mean to put down Mass Effect 2. I was trying to use it as an example(I have learned from this and I will explain myself better in the future). I am not going to change anything I wrote because it was the first post I ever wrote. Also I was not trying to put down people that don't like the game or just don't like JRPG's. I was trying to defend a good game from the unwarranted hate it was getting.   

No game that sells roughly 2 million copies in Japan can be bad! Not only is it very hard to sell games in Japan, but also Final Fantasy XIII came out selling at $90. This might tell you something about this game. I am Japanese and the Japanese do not take games likely. I have played Final Fantasy XIII and it is very fun, now granted I have never played any of the other Final Fantasies, but this game has made want to play the others. Final Fantasy XIII has extremely smooth game play and the best graphics I have seen so far this year. Now as far as I can tell the many of the critic's reviews are biased and want to bash a good JRPG. All the critics want to do is promote the Western RPGs, like Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 2 had many audio glitches, some other weird glitches, and a couple of storyline problems and it got a 9.6. I believe that Mass Effect 2 does not deserve this score because of these noticeable glitches, but I will say that it has enough good things about it to at least deserve above a 9 but not a 9.6. But back to my point a game that has literally little to no texture, audio, or overall game play glitches, and not to mention graphics that will make your mind explode, to get an 9 or below score by the critics is unbelievable. I would recomend people to get this game.                 

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

The only person who really is smashing on FF13 is Kaos. And since his little posting thing I do not think many take him at face value any more. 

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By demontium
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " The only person who really is smashing on FF13 is Kaos. And since his little posting thing I do not think many take him at face value any more.  "
    No there are multiple people (like that guy w/ the pheonix avatar who I cannot remember the name of) who are bashing its linearity.  

@Cross_Marian said:
    " No game that sells roughly 2 million copies in Japan can be bad! Not only is it very hard to sell games in Japan, but also Final Fantasy XIII came out selling at $90. This might tell you something about this game. I am Japanese and the Japanese do not take games likely. I have played Final Fantasy XIII and it is very fun, now granted I have never played any of the other Final Fantasies, but this game has made want to play the others. Final Fantasy XIII has extremely smooth game play and the best graphics I have seen so far this year. Now as far as I can tell the many of the critic's reviews are biased and want to bash a good JRPG. All the critics want to do is promote the Western RPGs, like Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 2 had many audio glitches, some other weird glitches, and a couple of storyline problems and it got a 9.6. I believe that Mass Effect 2 does not deserve this score because of these noticeable glitches, but I will say that it has enough good things about it to at least deserve above a 9 but not a 9.6. But back to my point a game that has literally little to no texture, audio, or overall game play glitches, and not to mention graphics that will make your mind explode, to get an 9 or below score by the critics is unbelievable. I would recomend people to get this game.                  "
    I support you! 

I wish this game the best of luck and will buy a Ps3 because of it!
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @demontium said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " The only person who really is smashing on FF13 is Kaos. And since his little posting thing I do not think many take him at face value any more.  "
    No there are multiple people (like that guy w/ the pheonix avatar who I cannot remember the name of) who are bashing its linearity.  

That is kaos. And after his little " IMPORT NOW! " then " IT SUCKS" thing...
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By demontium
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @demontium said:

That is kaos. And after his little " IMPORT NOW! " then " IT SUCKS" thing... "
    ok, well this also applies to the many reviewers and haters of FFXIII, and i know more than just kaos are against the games JRPG streamlining.
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lucas_kelly

Its Final Fantasy, it would have sold 2 million copies in Japan because of the name alone.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By PufferFiz
    @lucas_kelly said:
    " Its Final Fantasy, it would have sold 2 million copies in Japan because of the name alone. "
    this, but now that everyone knows how bad it is you can pick it up for under 2,000yen
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @Cross_Marian: I agree that FF13 is getting unwarranted hate from people who haven't even played it, but the way you word your argument it seems like glitches and graphics are the most important thing.

Also, you are obsessing over review scores far too much. A score below 9 is still a great game. People score everything too high nowadays, so they think a 7 means "average" or even "mediocre". That's ridiculous.
    deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deadmanforking
    @Cross_Marian said:
    "  to get an 9 or below score by the critics is unbelievable. I would recomend people to get this game.  "

I love lines like these, just shows people don't understand review scores.
    EchoForge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By EchoForge

@ Cross_Marian 

"No game that sells roughly 2 million copies in Japan can be bad! " 

Don't the Dynasty Warriors games sell by the truckload over there...?

Not saying that this means that FFXIII sucks like DW or anything like that (I will make up my mind when I actualy play it), but game sales don't always equal awesome game. Otherwise, there must be something I'm missing out on, cause Just Dance dominated the UK charts for a while.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By vidiot
    @demontium said:

Bashing a game because it's linear is problematic for me, a double standard considering most games are "linear". From what I can tell Final Fantasy XIII doesn't invoke the same illusion of exploration, or illusion on non-linearity the previous entries had (Branching paths with dungeons, towns), and I personally won't know if I'm okay with that, until I sit down and play the final product come Tuesday. Granted this illusion is staple to the RPG genre, so I'm interested to see how the game works without it. If it's in-fact, really gone.

There's a larger argument here that I've been thinking about regarding defining "non-linearity", I think we throw around that term a bit haphazardly without really knowing what that exactly means. There's a blog brewing in my mind for the near future, no doubt about that.

You seem new on the forums, so I'll come with you halfway Cross_Marian. Mass Effect 2 most certainly deserved the scores it got, but I find comparing and contrasting a game like FFXIII to the likes of ME2 is a bit poor. As with most JRPG to WRPG comparisons. Not because one is better than the other mind you, but because both sub-genres, and games clearly are working at very different results both mechanically and from a presentation standpoint. I wouldn't take someone's complaint that FFXIII is poor because it's not like ME2 very seriously.
    Cross_Marian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cross_Marian
    @deadmanforking: Just for your information I do know how game scoring works. I was just going by todays standards of scoring. I don't agree with todays standards but hey that is how the world works. 
    Cross_Marian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cross_Marian
    @vidiot: Thank you vidiot for giving me advice. And yes I agree with you about the games being linear and I have many other friends that agree with you too. And again thank you.  
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14  Edited By Symphony

FFXIII doesn't need defending. It will appeal to a specific audience and it won't appeal to the rest -- like any JRPG. 

@vidiot said:

" @demontium said:

Bashing a game because it's linear is problematic for me, a double standard considering most games are "linear". From what I can tell Final Fantasy XIII doesn't invoke the same illusion of exploration, or illusion on non-linearity the previous entries had (Branching paths with dungeons, towns), and I personally won't know if I'm okay with that, until I sit down and play the final product come Tuesday. Granted this illusion is staple to the RPG genre, so I'm interested to see how the game works without it. If it's in-fact, really gone. There's a larger argument here that I've been thinking about regarding defining "non-linearity", I think we throw around that term a bit haphazardly without really knowing what that exactly means. There's a blog brewing in my mind for the near future, no doubt about that.  You seem new on the forums, so I'll come with you halfway Cross_Marian. Mass Effect 2 most certainly deserved the scores it got, but I find comparing and contrasting a game like FFXIII to the likes of ME2 is a bit poor. As with most JRPG to WRPG comparisons. Not because one is better than the other mind you, but because both sub-genres, and games clearly are working at very different results both mechanically and from a presentation standpoint. I wouldn't take someone's complaint that FFXIII is poor because it's not like ME2 very seriously. "

@demontium: Phoenix avatar guy IS Kaos. 

@Vidiot: We had this discussion! As I recall, I won by summoning Charmander and having him feast upon your soul. But yes, generally speaking the illusion of choice is a staple... even a game like Xenosaga had a little bit of it in the midst of those 30 minute+ cutscenes. And as you said CD 2 of Xenogears didn't and it was crap. Though I still stand by my argument that had it been more than just walls of text 90% of the time, it might have been enjoyable.

Hurry up and get said blog written so I can attack you for spelling you're as your.
    Cross_Marian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cross_Marian
    @EchoForge: And sorry but no. Selling games is very hard in Japan, so for a game to sell 2 million copies is a lot. It got huge media attention because it sold ruffly 2 million that was just in the 1st week. 
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Symphony said:
    " FFXIII doesn't need defending. It will appeal to a specific audience and it won't appeal to the rest -- like any JRPG."

Like any game.
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @Tarsier: uh...okay? That's not the same as "average."
    PushThePig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PushThePig
    @vidiot said:
    " @demontium said:

Bashing a game because it's linear is problematic for me, a double standard considering most games are "linear". From what I can tell Final Fantasy XIII doesn't invoke the same illusion of exploration, or illusion on non-linearity the previous entries had (Branching paths with dungeons, towns), and I personally won't know if I'm okay with that, until I sit down and play the final product come Tuesday. Granted this illusion is staple to the RPG genre, so I'm interested to see how the game works without it. If it's in-fact, really gone. There's a larger argument here that I've been thinking about regarding defining "non-linearity", I think we throw around that term a bit haphazardly without really knowing what that exactly means. There's a blog brewing in my mind for the near future, no doubt about that.  You seem new on the forums, so I'll come with you halfway Cross_Marian. Mass Effect 2 most certainly deserved the scores it got, but I find comparing and contrasting a game like FFXIII to the likes of ME2 is a bit poor. As with most JRPG to WRPG comparisons. Not because one is better than the other mind you, but because both sub-genres, and games clearly are working at very different results both mechanically and from a presentation standpoint. I wouldn't take someone's complaint that FFXIII is poor because it's not like ME2 very seriously. "  

I'm about 20 hours into the game right now, and the linearity has definitely put me off some. Over 20 hours of gameplay has consisted of literally running down a straight path with enemies on it. The only time the path has branched off is for a really blatantly placed treasure chest. So far the game has consisted of nothing but running forwards into fights, and then at the end of the path there's a boss fight. I would say from what I have played this is still a very good game even with the linearity. It's not enough to kill the game IMO, the story is still pretty good, and the battle system is real fun. If the battles weren't good the game would be a disaster, but they have only gotten better as the game has gone on.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cornman89

First, welcome to the GiantBomb forums, duder.

Second, Final Fantasy doesn't need defending from the press. Final Fantasy's a big boy, he can take care of himself.  He's a hugely popular franchise that's comfortably entrenched in gaming history, guaranteed a purchase by millions of gamers on the strength of it's brand alone. If anything FF is lucky to be FF. I'd bet the Tales series would kill to be FF. Now, if we're to discuss the relative merits of the game, that's cool. But there's really no need to defend the game from the big, bad western gaming press, because by all accounts, it's pulling very respectable scores.

Third, FFXIII's critical reception has nothing to do with ME2, apart from the fact that one game incorporates design trends currently popular in the west, and the other doesn't and is getting dinged for it. But there's no conspiracy to elevate WRPGs at the expense of FFXIII.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BraveToaster

I actually thought that you were going to talk about what makes this game good. You didn't really focus on the game at all. All I got out of this thread is that you're Japanese and "Japanese don't take games lightly". I haven't played the13 yet but I was hoping to see more threads going deeper than "this game is better than Mass Effect:2". You say critics are bashing this game but it seems like you're bashing people that weren't into the game as much as you.

pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pot
    @Axxol said:
    "I actually thought that you were going to talk about what makes this game good. You didn't really focus on the game at all. All I got out of this thread is that you're Japanese and "Japanese don't take games lightly". I haven't played the13 yet but I was hoping to see more threads going deeper than "this game is better than Mass Effect:2". You say critics are bashing this game but it seems like you're bashing people that weren't into the game as much as you. "

Very true, I also got that impression as well. I didn't see one opinion from him on why the game is good. I will be getting FF13 (most likely for the PS3) but to get all bent out of shape because someone has an opinion different them him is IMHO a waste of time. Play the games you like, who cares if some random guy on a message board doesn't like the game. Why the heck does it bother you?
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yukoei

Has an JRPG ever gone without hate? its pretty simple, if you like JRPG games you will like FF13 if you dont, then you wont.

/thread.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BraveToaster
    @pot: I agree
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Quacktastic
    @Cross_Marian:  It shipped 2 million copies because its name is Final Fantasy 13 and it's been hyped for years.
    It went from 9k (Around 100USD) to 4k yen (Around 45USD) which means that stores ordered too many and are trying to clear stock.  Either everyone who wanted it bought it in the first week, or after everyone played it word of mouth spread and demand sharply decreased.  Since it's sitting at 3/5 stars on Amazon.co.jp and Japanese message boards like 2channel are ripping on the game, I assume that people aren't happy with it and that those critics aren't trying to promote Mass Effect 2.  Add the US and European reviews into the mix and it's clear that this game is divisive, and not some breakaway critical hit.  It's not some Western conspiracy or cultural discord, Western reviewers grew up on Japanese games too.  Any comparison between ME2 and FF13 is probably due to both being released so closely and both, in their own way, trying to radically change the RPG format.

That doesn't mean it's bad.  I think it just means that if you're not open to change then you will be disappointed and that if you are willing then you might have a chance to like it.
    If you like the game that's great, but all evidence I can see points to it not being a Final Fantasy game that the people familiar with the series want.  And like you said, it's your first one.
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @Tarsier: So 6/10 and below are all "bad." Great.

No, I know they're varying degrees of "bad", but the differences are so minute that no one bothers to even use the numbers 2, 3, and 4. If people think 7/10 is average, then 6/10 and below is an abyss.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Cross_Marian said:
    " @EchoForge: And sorry but no. Selling games is very hard in Japan, so for a game to sell 2 million copies is a lot. It got huge media attention because it sold ruffly 2 million that was just in the 1st week.  "
    You're kidding right?  Tomba sold well over 1million in the first two weeks of sale in Japan and that was when people only had Playstation 1 consoles.  The second highest selling game was some horse breeding sim which literally swallowed the entire market.  Selling games in Japan is not hard.  Japan is a culture where those who have disposable incomes spend it on trendy things en masse. 
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By asurastrike

It's a Final Fantasy game, therefore I HAVE to buy it. Even bad FF games are usually decent.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Sorry, but I was a huge Final Fantasy fan up until X, and I feel the genre as a whole has grown extremely stale..  Sometimes attempting to evolve while sticking to outdated clichés, but still stale.  The last one I've been able to enjoy was Lost Odyssey which I felt stuck true to what a JRPG should be, without feeling like a relic of the past.  

The fact I think Final Fantasy XIII is terrible has nothing to do with my love of games like Mass Effect, I certainly think there's room in the industry for multiple genre's like this.  But XIII is not what I want from a Final Fantasy game and it doesn't appeal to me as a game at all.  The combat system is nothing but style over substance, the story and character development seems aimed at pre-teen girls and the setting and lore appear to be a jumbled mess with no interest or intrigue what so ever..  the complete linearity of the game really doesn't help this either, as anything that might be interesting is spoon fed to you, rather than being left up to the player to explore and discover.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Quacktastic said:

" @Cross_Marian:  It shipped 2 million copies because its name is Final Fantasy 13 and it's been hyped for years. It went from 9k (Around 100USD) to 4k yen (Around 45USD) which means that stores ordered too many and are trying to clear stock.  Either everyone who wanted it bought it in the first week, or after everyone played it word of mouth spread and demand sharply decreased.  Since it's sitting at 3/5 stars on Amazon.co.jp and Japanese message boards like 2channel are ripping on the game, I assume that people aren't happy with it and that those critics aren't trying to promote Mass Effect 2.  Add the US and European reviews into the mix and it's clear that this game is divisive, and not some breakaway critical hit.  It's not some Western conspiracy or cultural discord, Western reviewers grew up on Japanese games too.  Any comparison between ME2 and FF13 is probably due to both being released so closely and both, in their own way, trying to radically change the RPG format. That doesn't mean it's bad.  I think it just means that if you're not open to change then you will be disappointed and that if you are willing then you might have a chance to like it.If you like the game that's great, but all evidence I can see points to it not being a Final Fantasy game that the people familiar with the series want.  And like you said, it's your first one. "

I don't think people seem to understand that this is the lowest scoring main FF game on Amazan.jp, not even FF12 did this bad.  Dude, it sold 2 million becuase it has the FF name and all first edition prints came with the FF14 code that grants instant PS3 beta PLUS exclusive items that will ONLY be given to users who have the FF13 code.  If FF13 wasn't called FF and was made by a western dev, FF13 would never have sold as fast as it did.  

Square fanboys need to understand that Square is human like everyone else and they aren't perfect.  This game isn't what we were promised back in 2006.
    FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FartyMcNarly

FF13 is poo, and not a relaxing poo it's more like a little piece that's hanging on and you have to jiggle your ass a bit to get it to fall off.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @Symphony said:
    " FFXIII doesn't need defending. It will appeal to a specific audience and it won't appeal to the rest -- like any JRPG. 

I second this.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

It could have been a stick game and if they had named it final fantasy or it had been hardware that was small it would have easily sold 2 million. Or dragon quest they could put a turd in a box put dragon quest on it and BOOM 5 million sales.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BraveToaster
    @FartyMcNarly said:

" FF13 is poo, and not a relaxing poo it's more like a little piece that's hanging on and you have to jiggle your ass a bit to get it to fall off. "

lmao you sir are a scholar
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Yukoei
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Quacktastic said:

" @Cross_Marian:  It shipped 2 million copies because its name is Final Fantasy 13 and it's been hyped for years. It went from 9k (Around 100USD) to 4k yen (Around 45USD) which means that stores ordered too many and are trying to clear stock.  Either everyone who wanted it bought it in the first week, or after everyone played it word of mouth spread and demand sharply decreased.  Since it's sitting at 3/5 stars on Amazon.co.jp and Japanese message boards like 2channel are ripping on the game, I assume that people aren't happy with it and that those critics aren't trying to promote Mass Effect 2.  Add the US and European reviews into the mix and it's clear that this game is divisive, and not some breakaway critical hit.  It's not some Western conspiracy or cultural discord, Western reviewers grew up on Japanese games too.  Any comparison between ME2 and FF13 is probably due to both being released so closely and both, in their own way, trying to radically change the RPG format. That doesn't mean it's bad.  I think it just means that if you're not open to change then you will be disappointed and that if you are willing then you might have a chance to like it.If you like the game that's great, but all evidence I can see points to it not being a Final Fantasy game that the people familiar with the series want.  And like you said, it's your first one. "

I don't think people seem to understand that this is the lowest scoring main FF game on Amazan.jp, not even FF12 did this bad.  Dude, it sold 2 million becuase it has the FF name and all first edition prints came with the FF14 code that grants instant PS3 beta PLUS exclusive items that will ONLY be given to users who have the FF13 code.  If FF13 wasn't called FF and was made by a western dev, FF13 would never have sold as fast as it did.   Square fanboys need to understand that Square is human like everyone else and they aren't perfect.  This game isn't what we were promised back in 2006. "
    Final Fantasy XIII is a brilliant entry in the Final Fantasy series I cant see why you wouldnt like it.
    Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Yukoei: Because it's dull.
    Harlekin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Harlekin
    @deadmanforking said:

" @Cross_Marian said:

"  to get an 9 or below score by the critics is unbelievable. I would recomend people to get this game.  "
     I love lines like these, just shows people don't understand review scores. "
     I need a breakdown of the 10 scale. Whats the difference between a 2 game and a 3 game, why isn't 5 average and if a game is 9.2 and another is 9.6 what does that mean.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#37  Edited By Soap

There is nothing wrong with Final Fantasy XIII, people are only bashing it because it's different and because it's a popular franchise with easy to piss off fanboys.

Some of the changes seem a little odd to me, but the story is pretty solid (when it finally starts to make some fucking sense lol) and graphicly it's beautiful.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Yukoei

I hate it when people say Japan hated the game, they did not.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39  Edited By natetodamax

Sounds like most of the people saying negative things about it can't tolerate linearity.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Yukoei
    @natetodamax said:
    " Sounds like most of the people saying negative things about it can't tolerate linearity. "
    The funny thing is, all FF games are linear just well disguised. 
    Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Magresda

Honestly, most reviews are quite positive if you actually read the review instead of the score. If linearity is something you're OK with, you'll most likely love this game. I know I did, regardless of its metacritic score. 

@Yukoei
    said:

" @natetodamax said:
    " Sounds like most of the people saying negative things about it can't tolerate linearity. "
    The funny thing is, all FF games are linear just well disguised.  "
    True. With the exception of X-2, FF games have always been linear. Take VII for example - sure, you had a world map, but if you wanted to progress the story you had to go to Kalm after midgar. And sure, you could try to fight the monster guarding the cave, but you needed a chocobo to get past it. That's not a choice, it's the illusion of one.  

What XIII does is make it crystal clear - "We want you to go here. This will progress the story, this will give you the experience we crafted and want you to have", is essentially what the developers are saying. Yeah, that's linearity at it's strongest, but is that really a bad thing? I don't think so.
    immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By immike

This ain't politics dude. If you like it, then play it. Those that don't won't. Let's keep it like that. 

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By demontium
    @Tarsier said:
    " @Bigandtasty said:
    " @Cross_Marian: I agree that FF13 is getting unwarranted hate from people who haven't even played it, but the way you word your argument it seems like glitches and graphics are the most important thing. Also, you are obsessing over review scores far too much. A score below 9 is still a great game. People score everything too high nowadays, so they think a 7 means "average" or even "mediocre". That's ridiculous. "
    7 means "not worth spending 60+ dollars on" or "rental". "
    Very incorrect. 7 means many things. 

1.) A very niche game (only good for certain fans of the genre/series) 
    2.) A great game with some flaws. 
    3.) Other reasons why it got docked points could depend on the reviewer. 

Anyways, I think the whole point @Cross_Marian: is trying to get across is that these review scores are going to affect the game's sales. 

Look: famitsu gave it a 39/40 and it sales 2 mil in japan. When reviewers take their job lightly, they do not think about the impact they have on that game's sales. 

With all this controversy about FF13's linearity, it will not only confuse the buyer to possibly miss an amazing RPG, but may also diminish the sales that Square could have made.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By TheHBK
    @Cross_Marian said:
    " @EchoForge: And sorry but no. Selling games is very hard in Japan, so for a game to sell 2 million copies is a lot. It got huge media attention because it sold ruffly 2 million that was just in the 1st week.  "
    It sold two million copies because has Final Fantasy in the title.  What else do you want?  Here in the Americas, where RPGs are actually being developed with the technology and ideas of 2010, not the tech of 2006 and mindset of 1995.
    Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shinryu
    @TheHBK said:
    " @Cross_Marian said:
    It sold two million copies because has Final Fantasy in the title.  What else do you want?  Here in the Americas, where RPGs are actually being developed with the technology and ideas of 2010, not the tech of 2006 and mindset of 1995. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOrvwNbmaEo

I'd check this out if I were you if your worried about sales.... Some concepts are timeless, and to be honest. The design perspective of 2009 from a traditional rpg standpoint were very questionable to say the very least.

Cross_Marian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Cross_Marian
    @Tarsier: You are lucky you didn't get glitches but many other people did. I am sorry to tell you but the things that Mass Effect 2 did have already been done. Mass Effect 2 did not do anything special.
    Cross_Marian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Cross_Marian
    @Bigandtasty: In my defense I was not trying to say that graphics and game play are the most important thing, but they hold there own weight with in the game. I probably should have explained my point of view better. I agree that there are many games that are great that have 8 or 7 scores, but unfortunately scoring now a days have changed. I just get frustrated when reviewers rating things lower than they should or rate things higher than they should. Few people in the world of critics give good reviews any more. But for people like you and me because we do our own research and we are much better informed can make our own decision's about what games we want to buy. But to the average consumer reviews hold a lot of weight in their decisions. People will just go on ign or gamespot and say hey look that game got a 9.5 lets go get it, but on the other hand most people will over look games that are rated 8 or 8.5. So in that respect reviewers hold a lot of power in their hands.       
    InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By InTheEnd

Just because something sells a shit load, doesn't mean it's good. 

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By Addfwyn

I like how people quote Japanese sales like they know the industry, or have even been over there before.   Let me break it down for you.  Square SHIPPED two million units at launch, that was their expected sales number.  They sold just under that, around 1 million the first day and about 700,000 more by the end of the year (and it released Dec 17th, so that's pretty good).  I don't think coming just under your estimated shipped units is a bad place to be.  So stop trying to say it failed in Japan, it was about exactly what Square expected.  

You can always find ANY game for cheap in Japan, that's a quality of Japan.  Go to Akihabara a week or two after a game comes out, and you can find ANY game on the super cheap, that isn't unique to FFXIII.   Games in Japan are ridiculously expensive at launch, but they rapidly drop in price at any of the major electronics retailers in Akiba.  You pay a huge premium in Japan to get a game on launch day.  Apparently, over a million people are willing to pay that premium.  That's not a failure.

The game did pretty well in Japan, and it'll do fine here.  It isn't the best FF game I have played, but it's a strong entry in the franchise.  I can't say how the English translation and stuff will be, so that may influence some early impressions (I hear the English Vanille is...questionable).   That said, it's a very strong combat system with robust characters.  The story isn't super amazing, but it isn't bad by any means.  It's linear, but so many games are, and JRPGs in particular always have been pretty linear.  I don't see how that is any different now. 

So yeah, the same people are gonna hate this game no matter how good it actually was.  Too many people want every FF to either be a WRPG (which it isn't) or FFVII-2.  Since neither of things will ever happen, they are gonna hate every FF game.  Don't let it bother you, and just enjoy the game for the really fun overall experience it represents.   

@Tarsier:  
    If you never play something that gets below a 7 on reviews, you are missing a lot of great games.  Especially niche games that may be a genre you like, but not critically well received.  This is why I don't think any reviewer should attach a score to their reviews.  Just write the review and let people read it.

Slasher71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Slasher71

I'm going to buy this game.  Play it.  Love it.  And there isn't a damn thing any of you can do about it!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.