Will the BombCast (or another Podcast) recognise the site?

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cheapoz

Hello,

First of all, I love the crap out of the Bombcast, favouritest podcast I subscribe to. 

However, does it strike anyone else as odd, that a podcast for a site whose main point of difference is a user-generated gaming encyclopaedia doesn't ever seem to pay more attention to that user base?

Much in the vain of 1up Yours, whose purpose was initially to be a community-focused podcast, I think either some additions to the Bombcast, or perhaps a second community-focused podcast might be a decent idea.

- Discussion about good threads in the forums
- Discussion about random/unique additions to the wiki
- Discussion about polls
- Feedback from the last podcast
- Read out comments from news stories being covered in the news section of the podcast

etc.

Currently the only user interaction with the Bombcast is emails, which are completely separate from the wiki and the forums. I'd like to see it extend past that. The Bombcast is already at epic length, so perhaps like I said a community podcast, or maybe even an irregular video feature or something might be neat.

Full disclosure, I haven't added a whole lot to the site's wiki, but I'd like to see those who have, be recognised by those who are the face of the site. Ryan, Vinny, Jeff and Brad.

But enough complaining, frickin awesome website, frickin awesome podcast, just my 2 cents.

- Me!
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

That's why we have the BSHAF!!!

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Karmum said:
"Giant Bomb's "Official?" Community Podcast."
It's not "Official?", It's Officially Official (and everyone knows anything that calls itself Officially Official isn't very official). Although it's official enough, they've had Jeff and Dave Snider on, so they obviously like what they're doing. Making it officially official!!!
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Systech
MattyFTM said:
"Karmum said:
It's not "Official?", It's Officially Official (and everyone knows anything that calls itself Officially Official isn't very official). Although it's official enough, they've had Jeff and Dave Snider on, so they obviously like what they're doing. Making it officially official!!!"
It's official because I was on twice.
Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Death_Burnout

OK so here's my take on this, and i hope people pay attention.

I agree with you in some ways, but i disagree in other ways. First off, i really don't want too much "community" brought into the podcast, its something i don't like at all, and as someone who is often ignored and underappreciated in these forums,it often bugs me in all honesty, especially when i have to hear other people getting some "credit" if you will, whilst certain things i do go unnoticed. Also some people like to make a real fuss over that and from some sort of competition with one another. It's bad enough when people shout "First!" in the comment's.

HOWEVER! what i DO want is the guys to be a little more social with us users. I get this horrible disconnected feel from them (from a forum perspective) for Jeff, that might partly be because he trusts (and likes) robots more than any of us really, but at least for the other 3, it would be nice if during their off time, that they would post a little more in the forums, Snide does quite a lot.

But in all honesty, they do all of the stuff you listed now and then, just not every week, and for me personally...that's enough, but i would like to see stuff like Feedback from other podcasts (which they do do occasionally) and News Stories, that stuff im on board for more of.

Also, not a fan of community podcasts at all, i just don't like them, it's not my thing, i simply dont wan't to listen to other users in that way.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cheapoz
Death_Burnout said:
Also some people like to make a real fuss over that and from some sort of competition with one another. It's bad enough when people shout "First!" in the comment's.
That's a good point, and I'd rather Giant Bomb not descend into vicious competition just to be heard.

Also, I do not want the Bombcast to become 90-100% community focused either. Its current form is, again, awesome. It'd just be nice to hear sentences starting with "And a comment posted on that news story one user said..." or "Another interesting point brought up on the forums this week was..."

Of course, that relies on us all coming up with actually stimulating discussion ;)

Oh, and I did not know about that community podcast either. I may check it out. But the aim of this thread was really to discuss official recognition (but the aim wasn't to sound desperate, lonely and needy like I fear I may start to sound like)...
Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Coltonio7
systech said:
"MattyFTM said:
"Karmum said:
It's not "Official?", It's Officially Official (and everyone knows anything that calls itself Officially Official isn't very official). Although it's official enough, they've had Jeff and Dave Snider on, so they obviously like what they're doing. Making it officially official!!!"
It's official because I was on twice.
"
Dude, Systech was on it!

Listen to THAT for the community stuff.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Illmatic

I can't stand it when podcasts feel more like ads and promotion for the site rather than discussion of games. I like it just the way it is.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Psynapse

At the end of the day the guys aren't going to please everyone... its impossible.

Your opinions and suggestions were great, but i think thats why they bought the community bomb cast over to kind of segregate it a bit.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By RHCPfan24
MattyFTM said:
"That's why we have the BSHAF!!!"
Yeah, I guess so right?  But I do agree with Death Burnout about the points he makes above ^
Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Death_Burnout
Cheapoz said:
"Death_Burnout said:
Also some people like to make a real fuss over that and from some sort of competition with one another. It's bad enough when people shout "First!" in the comment's.
That's a good point, and I'd rather Giant Bomb not descend into vicious competition just to be heard.

Also, I do not want the Bombcast to become 90-100% community focused either. Its current form is, again, awesome. It'd just be nice to hear sentences starting with "And a comment posted on that news story one user said..." or "Another interesting point brought up on the forums this week was..."

Of course, that relies on us all coming up with actually stimulating discussion ;)

Oh, and I did not know about that community podcast either. I may check it out. But the aim of this thread was really to discuss official recognition (but the aim wasn't to sound desperate, lonely and needy like I fear I may start to sound like)...
"
Yeah, and like i said, rarely, they do bring up someone's comment to back their argument in a debate or something like that, and that's pretty awesome.

RHCPfan24 said:
"MattyFTM said:
"That's why we have the BSHAF!!!"
Yeah, I guess so right?  But I do agree with Death Burnout about the points he makes above ^"

Ahh someone agrees, that's good to know!
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Endogene

Let me see if i understood this correctly, you guys want the editorial staff to talk about what is going on in the community?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By LordAndrew

It seems there's always been a disconnect between the staff and the community, both here and back on GameSpot. I get the impression their just really not into that kind of stuff.

AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AlwaysCrashing

They're just divas.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By zitosilva

I wouldn't like to hear about the community in a podcast. I listen to it to hear about thnigs related to games. If they start talking about the community, then it'll become something that will alienate anyone that does not care about the community, and I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of people that listen to the podcast but don't post or care about the rest of the site at all.

Also, there's already that (is it weekly?) thing in which someone in the staff mentions the best guides, reviews, some discussions, etc. So, it does have the community part covered. The bombcast is good the way it is.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Endogene
LordAndrew said:
"It seems there's always been a disconnect between the staff and the community, both here and back on GameSpot. I get the impression their just really not into that kind of stuff."
Yeah there where only two times that there really was such a thing and that was back when GB was just a blog that they played a game live and that the users could chat in a chatbox and that they would answer the question (which was really awesome)  and the time that jeff appeared on the community podcast.
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cheapoz
Endogene said:
"Let me see if i understood this correctly, you guys want the editorial staff to talk about what is going on in the community?"
I'd like the face of Giant Bomb to have some semblance of an appreciation for the users of Giant Bomb. Basically. I don't want overhaul of the podcast or the website model, no.

What brought this on for me is in the last 2 Bombcasts, they've made jokes about some (different) online message board getting upset over something. 

They all make jokes about "internet gets mad, what a surprise" - and while 99.9% of internet forums are filled with nothing but gasbagging ADHD cases with time on their hands, I'd like to think they could take a vested interest in any serious/interesting/relevant threads/discussion/activity/comments on their own website.

Just seems to be a big disconnect between Giant Bomb - Game reviews, news and podcast, and Giant Bomb - Online wiki and forums.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Endogene

I see what you mean they do not really promote the thing that giant bomb is initially about. I understand why Zitosilva is somewhat against this, if i would be the listener of a podcast to witch i do not belong to it's community me neither i would not like to hear about everything that is going on. But if like you suggested pick a interesting topic (the quality of some here on GB being pretty amazing now and then) read through it and then discuss somewhat on the podcast would be interesting/enough. Some user might actually check out the forums because of such a thing.

Back at gamespot i never whent to the forums, i had no reason to. Would i have heard that there where some interesting discussions going on there i would have checked it out ( i am talking IF here).

The disconect between the wiki appears probably as the biggest, i've got the impression that they do not even check their out when the talk about a game, which would be a good thing because it happens more than never that some info about a game is in the Wiki before they hear of it (this being extremely true with their news article, usually they float around on the forums even a couple of days before they make something out of it)

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Rowr

Dude

BSHAF

Its all being done already.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TomA

I don't like community podcasts,having a podcast about a podcast is just retarded.Just have more community stuff in the current podcast,and cut out all the bad stuff in the podcast to make room.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LordAndrew
Endogene said:
"Back at gamespot i never whent to the forums, i had no reason to. Would i have heard that there where some interesting discussions going on there i would have checked it out ( i am talking IF here). "
Dude, the GameSpot Live Union. Cool shit went down in there. It's practically dead now, but it was somewhat active back when the gang was still working at GameSpot.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Endogene
LordAndrew said:
"Endogene said:
"Back at gamespot i never whent to the forums, i had no reason to. Would i have heard that there where some interesting discussions going on there i would have checked it out ( i am talking IF here). "
Dude, the GameSpot Live Union. Cool shit went down in there. It's practically dead now, but it was somewhat active back when the gang was still working at GameSpot."
Never heard of it, that is the thing. Would they have talked about it in the podcast i might had come over to the forums.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LordAndrew

They mentioned it all the time! People discussed the HotSpot and On the Spot, and sometimes the staff would post the "homework" assignments they received. You see this guy Death_Burnout? He was a regular there, although I never saw him much in other areas of the forums.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Death_Burnout
Endogene said:
"Let me see if i understood this correctly, you guys want the editorial staff to talk about what is going on in the community?"

For the record, i don't.

Endogene
said:
"LordAndrew said:
"Endogene said:
Dude, the GameSpot Live Union. Cool shit went down in there. It's practically dead now, but it was somewhat active back when the gang was still working at GameSpot."
Never heard of it, that is the thing. Would they have talked about it in the podcast i might had come over to the forums."

Oh and dude, yeah! they mentioned the Gamespot Live Union all the time, i went there a lot, when they used to work there.

LordAndrew said:
"It seems there's always been a disconnect between the staff and the community, both here and back on GameSpot. I get the impression their just really not into that kind of stuff."
At least at Gamespot it was more understandable for a big company like that, but for something as small as this, i don't think there should be such a disconnect.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Hamz

Bomb Should Have a Face (aka BSHAF) is a community run podcast made by member of the community for the community that matters the most! and pretty much covers everything the OP wants to see on the Bombcast itself. It also has a guest from the community appear on it each week and notable guests are Jeff Gerstmann, Dave Snider, myself (twice!), MB, CitizenKane, Sweep, systech, virago, Jayge and many others.

I can't speak for the Staff on this particular issue of having more community content in the Bombcast but I can say that having that stuff on it would kind of ruin the podcast for me and I imagine many other people. For the most part the Bombcast is there as an extension on the editorial content of the site and they do that perfectly. Its a great mix of humour and serious discussion about the industry and video games in etc. And thats why I listen to the Bombcast, I don't want to hear about all the community stuff going on. Thats why I listen to BSHAF or actually browse around the site.

Devoting time in the podcast recording to community stuff also has a negative effect on a community aswell. It can spark up some arguments as to why X user had their contribution picked when Y user feels the contribution they made was just as good and wasn't picked. And eventually it turns into accusations of bias and favouritism from the Staff towards certain members of the community. And thats something I imagine no one wants.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By kush

BSHAF can never call itself the official community podcast until I've graced its presence at least once...that is fact, pure science and written in the bible of heavy drugs and cupcakes!

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rowr
Kush said:
"BSHAF can never call itself the official community podcast until I've graced its presence at least once...that is fact, pure science and written in the bible of heavy drugs and cupcakes!"
Who are you again?
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
LordAndrew said:
The giant bomb community/staff relationship is kinda weird. Coonce and Snide are both very vocal about how much they love the community, yet the faces of the site are usually reasonably quiet on community matters. Now in most other sites, the people who work on the site behind the scenes hardly ever get mentions. Usually we don't even know who they are. Heck, back in the classic days of gamespot, apart from seeing the name "Vincent Caravella" appear on the credits for some of the video features, we didn't know who Vinny was. It was only fairly late in his GS career that he became someone who we saw/heard.

I know a while ago we were discussing the community/staff relationship, and I'm sure brad said they felt that they couldn't do both their editorial work and get involved in the community without doing both to a low standard, and they were planning on hiring a community guy soon, although we haven't heard anything about that since, and with the current ecconomic climate I'm sure hiring new people isn't top of their priorities list.

Anyway, one thing that definitely needs a return is the Friday Bomb Drop that Snide (and occasionally Coonce) used to do. When they went to Australia they obviously didn't have time to do it, but I'd love to see them start it up again. Me and moosey have done a couple of saturday/sunday bomb drops on the forums, but having the community recognising the community isn't exactly the same as having the staffers recognising the community.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Snail

I gotta listen to the BSHAF... I don't listen to it for a while now.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
SuperMooseman said:
"Also, I'm with Matty on bringing the Friday Bomb drop back. Hell, if they don't have time to do it, I'm sure myself and Matty could rustle something up for them to post. :P"
Yeah, I'd be happy putting it together and sending it to one of the staffers to put up if they haven't got time to put one together themselves. It would actually be pretty cool to rotate it around to different people every week. Anyone could have a turn. It'd be really cool letting members of the community have an article on the front page. I'm sure allot of people would be interested in doing it. That's a pretty good idea. I think I might PM snide see what he thinks about of it.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Snail
MattyFTM said:
"SuperMooseman said:
"Also, I'm with Matty on bringing the Friday Bomb drop back. Hell, if they don't have time to do it, I'm sure myself and Matty could rustle something up for them to post. :P"
Yeah, I'd be happy putting it together and sending it to one of the staffers to put up if they haven't got time to put one together themselves. It would actually be pretty cool to rotate it around to different people every week. Anyone could have a turn. It'd be really cool letting members of the community have an article on the front page. I'm sure allot of people would be interested in doing it. That's a pretty good idea. I think I might PM snide see what he thinks about of it."
Sounds like an idea.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Here's the PM I send to snide about the Friday bomb drop idea if anyone's interested.

I
said:

"Hi Snide, last year you started a weekly feature, the Friday Bomb Drop, a feature which allot of people in the community really liked as it gave a decent overview of the weeks news/reviews, and we especially liked the community section because it was nice to see the staffers pointing out some of the awesome things going on in the community that can easily go unnoticed by allot of the site's users. Since it stopped myself and SuperMooseMan have done a couple of unofficial ones in forum/blog form, but it isn't the same without it getting on the front page.

Now, I know you're really busy with site stuff, and might not have the time to do this every week, but in a recent forum topic about the recognition of community happenings from the staff, we had an idea that sounds really cool. Each week a different member of the community could write a Friday Bomb Drop article, keeping to the same general style of your articles, and then PM it to you (or any staff member) who will put it up as an article. As we've seen from the wiki, we have some really good writers in the community who could easily make a really good article pointing out all of the top news, reviews and community happenings of that week.

So that's the idea, and I think would be pretty cool. If you could give it some thought and talk to the other staffers about it and see if it's something you might want to do.

Thanks

MattyFTM"
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jayge_
Death_Burnout said:
and as someone who is often ignored and underappreciated in these forums,it often bugs me in all honesty, especially when i have to hear other people getting some "credit" if you will, whilst certain things i do go unnoticed
Who are you?

SuperMooseman said:
"I totally agree with the main post. Saves me listening to that BSHAF nonsense (amirite, amirite?). Also, I'm with Matty on bringing the Friday Bomb drop back. Hell, if they don't have time to do it, I'm sure myself and Matty could rustle something up for them to post. :P"
Go for it. But I gotta warn ya: if I start to notice a huge British bias from you two limey dudes, I will have to come over there and introduce you to Captain Liberty and Freedom, my two American fists.
Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Death_Burnout
Jayge said:
"Death_Burnout said:
and as someone who is often ignored and underappreciated in these forums,it often bugs me in all honesty, especially when i have to hear other people getting some "credit" if you will, whilst certain things i do go unnoticed
Who are you?

Yeah, nice joke...

The Friday Bomb Drop is alright...but i definately would like it to be weekly, for definate, instead of it being so random, one week i did something that was Bomb Drop material, never got there since it wasn't up that week.

Oh and the second Kush is on BSHAF... i lose all faith in these forums, Ha!
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jayge_
Death_Burnout said:
" Yeah, nice joke...

The Friday Bomb Drop is alright...but i definately would like it to be weekly, for definate, instead of it being so random, one week i did something that was Bomb Drop material, never got there since it wasn't up that week.

Oh and the second Kush is on BSHAF... i lose all faith in these forums, Ha!
"
You have an odd sense of self-entitlement that I don't quite understand.
Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Death_Burnout

Self-entitlement? no thats not what i'm about, nor what im saying, but, there's nothing wrong with what i said, everyone here is entitled to making the front page of the site via hard work or interesting discussion. But i can't deny, that to me, it feels like bad luck when what i do on this site goes unnoticed so many times, i just get fed up, thats my frustration, and that's what i'm talking about in my prior post.

I'm not honestly sure where that "odd sense" is coming from, because I'm not being arrogant or over confident, i'm just saying how i feel about it.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jayge_
LordAndrew said:
"

"
This.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Milkman

Keep the community shit in the community podcast where I don't need to hear it. The last thing I want to hear Jeff and Ryan talk about what crazy thing MattBodega did this past week or the newest escapades of 007Sweep or some shit.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Death_Burnout
Milkman said:
"Keep the community shit in the community podcast where I don't need to hear it. The last thing I want to hear Jeff and Ryan talk about what crazy thing MattBodega did this past week or the newest escapades of 007Sweep or some shit."
I agree with this.

Oh and great, take what i said and turn it into that, Just because i said Everyone is entitled, fan-fucking-tastic.
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cheapoz
One poster said that the staff felt that balancing editorial and community would mean the degradation of quality for both - I agree with this to an extent. I'm thinking that they just skim over the forums and comments occasionally and then work that into discussion sporadically during podcasts.

Hell, even if it's not them. Someone else on staff could find a few interesting comments/threads, bundle them up and forward them to the guys for the podcast, as possible talking points.

Again, I don't want 'community focus' to over ride of disrupt the current flow of the best damn gaming podcast going. Just proposing that perhaps an editorial staff that places their emphasis on personalising their presence, extend their personalities to the users who generate the content of their site.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I've got the go ahead from snide to arrange community written Friday bomb drops. I'll schedule who does them and when, and snide will put them up as articles. I'm writing a detailed forum post about it for people to say they'll do one. I'll post it in a few minutes.

EDIT: Link to thread

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LordAndrew
MattyFTM said:
"I've got the go ahead from snide to arrange community written Friday bomb drops. I'll schedule who does them and when, and snide will put them up as articles. I'm writing a detailed forum post about it for people to say they'll do one. I'll post it in a few minutes."
Awesome.
Also, it looks like someone's taking me a bit too seriously, as if my post was supposed to have some absolute meaning.
Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Death_Burnout
LordAndrew said:
"MattyFTM said:
"I've got the go ahead from snide to arrange community written Friday bomb drops. I'll schedule who does them and when, and snide will put them up as articles. I'm writing a detailed forum post about it for people to say they'll do one. I'll post it in a few minutes."
Awesome.
Also, it looks like someone's taking me a bit too seriously, as if my post was supposed to have some absolute meaning."
That would be me then, my problem is, in consequence, it makes me look like a fool to some no doubt.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By Shadow

It's fine the way it is.  As much as I'd like these 4 guys to do nothing but podcast every day for all eternity, other stuff needs to get done.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By StaticFalconar

Dude, that stuff happens its just very subtle. Like instead of reading a quote well user "NYKronic" said this; they just get straight to the point and bring up the point of what the user said. Podcast is long enough, they don't need to pad it out by reading the comments verbatim on the podcast.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Death_Burnout
StaticFalconar said:
"Dude, that stuff happens its just very subtle. Like instead of reading a quote well user "NYKronic" said this; they just get straight to the point and bring up the point of what the user said. Podcast is long enough, they don't need to pad it out by reading the comments verbatim on the podcast."
Yeah pretty much.