Anita Sarkeesian exposed for the fraud she is.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@milkman said:

Listen internet, no matter how much you white knight video games, they're not going to fuck you.

if only I could follow you twice

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

One day people are finally just doing to drop it, I look forward to this.

AnjinM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

AnjinM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@jazgalaxy: she's literally just a youtuber that had a kickstarter, 4chan/reddit folks attacked her (fairly harsh and fairly without provocation), she got way more money than she needed (or deserved) because of the 4chan/reddit assault and then she took a long time to make the videos and people attacked her for that and then she made them and they attacked her for that and this whole thing is the stupidest fucking thing.

I might quibble about the parenthetical deserved, but this is the best description of the whole ordeal that I've seen.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why does 4chan come and start threads here? If they wanted people to agree with them, they have 4chan to post on.

Y'all mufuckas salty as hell.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#156  Edited By bybeach

I'm beginning to believe there are elements in the gaming community that for some inexplicable reason or another, are hyper sensitized to opinions like this Anita has, or that Lawyer a while back, or others. It's almost a backhanded admission of guilt.

I've actually only listened to a little bit of her opinions. She may very well have some good insights that goes well beyond video games and may be really observations of actual sociological interactions between male and female, hetrosexual and the other sex groupings., so on and so forth. Her focus on gaming may be unfortunate because she has concentrated on a little corner of the big picture. And most of all, I suspect there is really very little new in whatever she purports. Guess what Anita, it isn't all right in this world, and the way humanity is going at it, improvement by any standards may not even occur on a measurable scale. Sometimes I think I really can see our demise from where I am standing, though my lifetime will probably end on a natural basis.

Well, at least we don't rape our female soldiers in COD, Battlefield, or medal of Honor like we do in real life. Right? Or scream Fuck the Bitch in e sport fighting games. I really do not care in this one respect. I use video games to escape reality, or even if it's something like the Line, face on controlled grounds that gives me relief from say that picture on the Rolling Stone vs the picture of that one girl looking at where her leg used to be. As long as Anita doesn't screw up my personal release from these things, she can complain and go on about anything she wants.

It really doesn't matter.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@animasta said:

@milkman said:

Listen internet, no matter how much you white knight video games, they're not going to fuck you.

if only I could follow you twice

Agreed. Well done.

It's getting weird now, guys. Stop obsessing so much over this woman. Please. I can't read these threads every single time she's mentioned online.

Is it sexual frustration? Is that it? I'm guessing it is.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

*Grandpa Simpson.gif*

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this about that bloody torso fuck-doll from dead island?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are people mad about? Does the fact that she took video footage from youtube change anything? Why are people even pissed off about her video anyway?

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@homelessbird said:

Why does 4chan come and start threads here? If they wanted people to agree with them, they have 4chan to post on.

Y'all mufuckas salty as hell.

As someone who knew 4chan before the 4 deaths, I'm amazed at how often it's personified as a united cultural personality and blamed for anything & everything around the internet. The time BioWare blamed 4chan for negative reactions to Dragon Age 2 was particularly entertaining, like watching an old man yell at a cloud for stealing his newspaper.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who?

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By beej

@scrawnto said:

@mildmolasses said:

@kishinfoulux said:

...her pocketing all that Kickstarter money...

I love the irony in the people who are white knighting for the KS backers. At first they were angry that that people were giving her money for her projects. Now they are angry that, in there minds, she is not fulfilling her end of the deal with all that money.

Also, there is no proof she did anything wrong. Does this guy know that she didn't ask for permission to use that footage? Does he know for a fact that no one played the games? He accuses her of forming her opinions without playing the games, much like a lot of the vitriol spouted against her is from people who have never actually watched her videos.

You've already devoted more attention to her than I ever will, and all I had to do was just go about my day as normal.

It's like saying I'm pocketing the money I get from my salary. Yeah! That's what that money is for! She wasn't kickstarting just so she could spend the money on materials used explicitly for the videos. Like when you fund a game? A lot of that money is going to the people who made the game so that they can pay rent and buy food and clothes and shit, and not just for dev kits and software and such. If they get a bonus because the kickstarter pulled in extra money, good for them.

How dare these people pay for a product. How. Dare. They.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've read this and watched the video but am struggling to care, maybe it's because I didn't allow myself to be taken advantage of in this kickstarter, I do feel as though we should hear from the people who essentially paid for this lazy treatment to see what they think.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This is stupid, just like it always has been, but fucking lol at people who think taking footage from let's plays = stealing someone else's work. Let's plays are just people talking (usually poorly) over someone else's work, so what the fuck sense does that make?

That's the same thing as ROM dumpers whining that someone stole their "work" when they remove shitty readme.txt files from the download folders.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Example1013

@nodima said:

I liked those videos. Conversations like this continue to confirm my opinion that most people who play video games are secretly fucking nuts.

Except if it's most people, doesn't that make them normal and you nuts?

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I just had some blueberries. They were pretty good.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Talk about a sensationalist title. You should work at Kotaku, they'd like you over there.

In all seriousness though, I'm actually starting to feel bad for this girl. These attacks against her are just getting ridiculous now, and while I don't agree with her about how severe sexism is in Video Games, it's still there, and a lot of people who attack her just go and prove her point.

Electric_Zen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#169  Edited By Electric_Zen

I like overfunding Anita's Kickstarter because she makes the haters cry like da babeez.

DoctorDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By DoctorDoctor

http://vimeo.com/64941331#

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. The wrath of the sexually frustrated.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By TruthTellah

Oh yeah? Did you -really- have some blueberries?

I heard that you're just saying that due to your ties to the blueberry lobby and personal bias against strawberries.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The guy in that video shouldn't have even made a "quick announcement" about this Anita using video game footage not coming from her own camera. It's so miniscule of an actual deal. It's about a person that really isn't breaking any new ground in the first place. Just making soapboxes.

Sigh. Why can't video games just be careless fun anymore, y'know? Youtube might be the bane of video games.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#174  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@thebipsnbeeps said:

Why can't video games just be careless fun anymore, y'know? Youtube might be the bane of video games.

If it makes you feel any better, all of this mewling is coming from teenagers on tumblr with a hard on for oppression and victimhood. If you actually follow all of this "noise" to its source, it's a couple hundred people out of millions. That's it.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Seems crazy to me that she wouldn't have used that kickstarter money to set up some sort of method of capture/get someone to capture video for her. It's probably just as crazy that someone went to so much trouble to lay this sort of claim against her, though. :P

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By joshthebear
A required post for threads like this.
A required post for threads like this.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#177  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Can we talk about if Akuma or Sakura will get nerfed for Ultra Street Fighter IV pls?

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

Wait, since when were people assuming she was ever playing all these games to completion herself?

Pretty much this. She doesn't really need to play them to make the argument she is making. I'm not saying i fully agree with her, only partly. ;-)

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The only thing that this proves is that she didn't use capture gear. That's all. Now I really really don't agree with her but in this case she has done nothing wrong provably so this really is pointless.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread reminds me of something: What were the really good 90s TV shows?

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#181  Edited By Raven10

I think she is a prime example of one of the main flaws of Kickstarter. It's actually similar to the Double Fine issue in a way. She had a plan that would require a pretty small amount of money. But on Kickstarter you have to keep your campaign open the entire duration and can't choose to stop receiving donations. So you get a woman who has neither the time, experience, or ability to create a $160,000 video series being given that money when she didn't ask for it, and then being vilified when she is unable to use it correctly. People want her to play hundreds of games in a limited amount of time which is unrealistic. I mean even the staff here don't play hundreds of games to completion a year. Hell, even the hardcore editors back in the heyday of GS who had to review multiple games a week didn't play that many games. So I guess my point is that this is a project that wasn't very expandable. There is nothing to spend $160,000 on. It's a budget too large for her to use. It's like people who win the lottery. The majority of them are broke within a couple of years because they aren't trained to manage money or invest wisely. And that is the issue that some Kickstarters have. People give money to folks who just aren't going to be able to use it all and then are angry when they don't use it.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@raven10 said:

So I guess my point is that this is a project that wasn't very expandable. There is nothing to spend $600,000 on. It's a budget too large for her to use. It's like people who win the lottery. The majority of them are broke within a couple of years because they aren't trained to manage money or invest wisely. And that is the issue that some Kickstarters have. People give money to folks who just aren't going to be able to use it all and then are angry when they don't use it.

Yeah people view the situation later as sort of a #FundMyLife scenario and didn't take kindly to it unfortunately. She should have just used Indiegogo; sorry for bad joke. :(

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Her eyebrows bother me for some reason.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10 said:

So you get a woman who has neither the time, experience, or ability to create a $600,000 video series being given that money when she didn't ask for it, and then being vilified when she is unable to use it correctly.

I'm not vilifying her for not using the money correctly, or for not capturing all video herself, but she didn't raise anywhere even close to over half a million dollars.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Chuddy

An academic study on a topic that people don't find interesting uses a lot of money. This isn't news and happens all the time. As for the claim that she didn't make any of the videos herself, that's also partially excusable because it happens in news casts, period pieces, and especially anytime of youtube news channel like the Young Turks, daily show, and the like.

AT BEST, you have someone using clips without permission and not citing sources. if this were for a college thesis, it could be plagiarism. the problem is that the source itself is also problematic; none of these let's plays have asked the copyright holder if they can record the material. That mario company has been filling copyright claims for videos of people playing their games.

There are problems with 3rd wave feminism but these are mostly internal struggles within the ideology such as the rights of biological women being overshadowed by Men with transgendered identities. But the hate for this person and her project is just nonsense and totally unnecessary.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#187  Edited By Raven10

@spaceinsomniac: Whoops. Typo. Fixed. Point remains the same regardless.

EDIT: Also, specifically to this issue, are people really saying it is illegal to use the video someone took of themselves playing someone else's copyrighted game? You can't copyright a Let's Play, and many in the government have been trying to make Let's Plays illegal in and of themselves. It's just ridiculous. At least Anita is arguably making educational videos which would allow her to use copyrighted content. She is on far more solid legal ground than most Youtube videos that contain various copyrighted material repurposed in some way.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@zudthespud: lol after reading this topic I felt the same way. Time to step away from the internet...

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viking_funeral: Yeah, I've spent a lot of time on 4chan, too. You would think, spending a lot of time there, you might not take internet comments so literally. I'm pretty sure 4chan doesn't have any honor to defend, anyway.

Yeah, the person that started this thread could be from somewhere other than 4chan, and his anger at Sarkeesian doesn't represent universal sentiment on 4chan.

But hey - where do you go if you are still obsessed about Tropes vs. Women and you want to find some people to talk about "feminazis" with? /v/ would be a pretty good place to start.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chuddy said:

AT BEST, you have someone using clips without permission and not citing sources. if this were for a college thesis, it could be plagiarism. the problem is that the source itself is also problematic; none of these let's plays have asked the copyright holder if they can record the material. That mario company has been filling copyright claims for videos of people playing their games.

Actually, she doesn't really have to worry about copyright, because she's only using small segments of video from games, and her overall videos are short. Anything she's going to be showing of those games are going to fall under Fair Use. The only reason the Let's Plays are running into Nintendo's overzealous copyright division anyway is that they're pretty much showing entire games over the course of several lengthy videos of just gameplay, and they don't "own" any of that material. Also, even if an LP Sarkeesian used got taken down, that wouldn't change use of it in HER video being Fair Use. Copyright law is stupid.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If people took even a quarter of the rage and obsession they put towards these videos and spent them on something that actually even slightly matters, they might actually be able to say they've accomplished something, anything, with what passes for their lives.

Chuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Chuddy
RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll say it once, and I'll say it again. Putting a magnifying glass over video games when it comes to sexism is pointless. The objectification of women exists in television, film, music, media, the world. Video Games aren't a special case to be gawked over.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#194  Edited By Fearbeard

I'm willing to bet 99.9% of the people complaining about this never backed her in the first place.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#195  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Wow, another one of these threads that will have an obscene amount of posts. Let's go, GB community! Let's take it to 200 posts!

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@fengshuigod said:

Oh yeah? Did you -really- have some blueberries?

I heard that you're just saying that due to your ties to the blueberry lobby and personal bias against strawberries.

Thank god, we're finally exposing @fengshuigod for the fraud that he is! For too long has he made claims of eating blueberries, while not presenting any actual evidence of his deeds.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Ares42

I like how several of the comparison pictures are clearly not the same.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#198  Edited By audioBusting

@animasta said:

@darji said:

@video_game_king said:

Nope, nothing overly accusatory or potentially biased about this topic.

Have you watched the video? these are all legit points and not in any way biased

"Anita Sarkeesian exposed for the fraud she is" is not a unbiased statement.

also who cares if she quoted wikipedia, christ. This is a internet video, not a term paper

There was that other Youtube video on her term paper...

Anyway, it doesn't matter. This discussion has always been tiring.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Hey guys, what's on second?

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers