• 54 results
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By benpack

I don't do a lot of competitive multiplayer gaming. When I do, it's usually Street Fighter, Left 4 Dead 2, and more recently Modern Warfare 2. The reason I don't play a lot of competitive multiplayer is not because I don't enjoy it, it's because people are dicks.

Recently I've run into more and more assholes on Xbox Live than ever before. One of the more infuriating incidents was when I was playing Street Fighter, and about halfway through the second round, the other player stopped moving. We both had a sliver of health left and I figured his controller had died, so I thought "I've been there before, I'll just step back and wait for him to plug it in," and sure enough after about 10 seconds he had plugged it back in, and without giving any notice he threw a fireball at me and won. I later went on to win the final match, and was berated by two separate, terribly misspelled hate messages from the guy. 

So what's my point? Being nice, helpful, or supportive online to other players is usually either met with silence or hatred, so I figures why even bother anymore. Then I realized why you only hear asshole 14 year olds when you play Call of Duty, it's because everyone else has gotten tired of them like me and stopped trying all together. What kind of an online experience is this? I don't have a lot of friends who game IRL, so it's hard to play with people that I like in parties. Am I the only one who feels constantly oppressed on XBL? Is it at all better on the PSN?

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By benpack

I don't do a lot of competitive multiplayer gaming. When I do, it's usually Street Fighter, Left 4 Dead 2, and more recently Modern Warfare 2. The reason I don't play a lot of competitive multiplayer is not because I don't enjoy it, it's because people are dicks.

Recently I've run into more and more assholes on Xbox Live than ever before. One of the more infuriating incidents was when I was playing Street Fighter, and about halfway through the second round, the other player stopped moving. We both had a sliver of health left and I figured his controller had died, so I thought "I've been there before, I'll just step back and wait for him to plug it in," and sure enough after about 10 seconds he had plugged it back in, and without giving any notice he threw a fireball at me and won. I later went on to win the final match, and was berated by two separate, terribly misspelled hate messages from the guy. 

So what's my point? Being nice, helpful, or supportive online to other players is usually either met with silence or hatred, so I figures why even bother anymore. Then I realized why you only hear asshole 14 year olds when you play Call of Duty, it's because everyone else has gotten tired of them like me and stopped trying all together. What kind of an online experience is this? I don't have a lot of friends who game IRL, so it's hard to play with people that I like in parties. Am I the only one who feels constantly oppressed on XBL? Is it at all better on the PSN?

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Dark_Jon

Be nice to people who deserve it, be an asshole to people who don't.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MisterChief

Only play with people on your friends list and mute everyone else. That's what I do.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ekajarmstro

I liked xbox live more in the past -- there were a lot of dicks but you could actually make good friends even if you didn't know them in real life. Now that there is party chat, I can barely find a game with anyone talking.

Also, playing a 1v1 game on XBL I've just come to expect hate messages for winning.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By weltal

If the messages included swearing and/or hate speech, report him. Other than that move on and realize that assholes live on the internet, regardless of the game you're playing.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By blackbird415
@GlenTennis: I know what you mean. There are too many fuckers in the world. Its hard to find good people to play with. hit me up on xbox live same username as my giantbomb account. The good people of gaming need to stick together to fight these little assholes... My girlfriend's brother is exactly the stereotype of the 14 year old asshole on xboxlive. I cant fucking stand to be around him and apparently theres alot more people like him who act that way to people on and offline
danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By danimal_furry

Chalk it up to immature people in general. The online era of humanity has bred an entire society of jerks. People don't have to behave in socially acceptable ways because they don't think anyone will know or meet them. I found, on my local news station's web page, that I know most of the people in real life that try to start childish arguments with me. Some are even complete "dicks" onine, but really nice in person. I have learned to throw a few well placed insults back at them to just make myself feel better, but it doesn't really help. Your main choices are to just ignore them or fall into the online pit where these folks live. On a side note: When I read the title, I thought this was going to be about real life. In the real world you shouldn't try to be nice for any reason other than it is what you should do. Whether people abuse that politeness or not is their own issue. Perhaps a similar outllook should apply to online gaming. Maybe the trolls will eventuallybe relegated to their own little corner of the online community, waiting to rot in their sarcasm and hatred.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By McGhee

Never give anyone an inch in Street Fighter. They won't give you one. If they stop moving I just assume I've crushed their will to go on and I go ahead and put them out of their misery. ;)

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By sickVisionz

You should be happy.  If it was MvC2 they would have yanked their Ethernet cord out of the box and took a disconnect rather than a loss.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

Honestly sometimes it never seems worth being nice towards someone and occasionally all of us at one point or another breaks down and does something asshole-ish.  

Xbox Live is filled with immature kids, literally. As much as the average age of gamers today is 35 that doesn't mean most gamers on Xbox are always going to be adults.  
The reason I still tell myself to be nice is because I remember being a teenager and wanting to act out. I remember after doing so and seeing how an adult acted afterward. The adult's actions were always nice and reserved (usually) and imprinted on me how to really act.  

So when I'm nice on Live, when I treat someone with respect, I hope that one day that kid might learn that teabagging everyone doesn't earn you anything.  
Perhaps seeing me just playing the game and having fun will impact him to stop being a dick. 
And perhaps not. Either way I feel happier acting the way I do rather than acting the way the kids do.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

PSN is not much better, but the percentage of people who have microphones is much lower. 
Still, spend any time in Home, and you'll see that anonymity breeds assholes.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By benpack
@McGhee_the_Insomniac: Oh I've learned my lesson.

@blackbird415: Thanks, I'll take you up on that.

@EkajArmstro said: I know what you mean, I had a group of 10 or so people I met through playing L4D that I would play with a few times a week.
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By xMP44x

Unfortunately, I've noticed quite a lot more negative people on Xbox LIVE as well. I can remember playing Far Cry 2 online in the past with a group of American guys on the enemy team, and after doing well in the match I wasn't insulted. Rather, they were saying "Good game!" and "If you keep that up you'll be a serious threat", as well as other positive compliments. Sometimes, when I'm on Xbox LIVE and I find myself competing with one other guy I will send him a message at the end with a "Good game". About 90% of the time I get no response, but the other 10% of the time, it is rarely a positive response. It's more along the lines of "Get raped fag", and so on. I suppose I can chalk that up to an immature community in the Call of Duty franchise. 

Some of the more dedicated online games tend to have better communities, I find. Take the Forza Motorsport games as an example. Alright, Forza 3 might have its share of 'Leaderboard Cars', which are basically cars that destroy in certain classes. Sometimes you can strike a good lobby though where everyone is running some varied cars. In Forza Motorsport 2, I joined a lobby with my Audi RS4 and was promptly annihilated around the Nurburgring by a couple of really experienced guys. However, rather than taunting me, they were encouraging me and recommending ways to improve the car I was driving. It truly surprised me, because I went in with the mindset of finding some uber-competitive guys who'd rage if they were 0.5 seconds slower on a lap than they were before. However, they were nothing like I had expected. Xbox LIVE can provide some of the most pleasant surprises one can have, but it can also provide some of the worst gaming experiences. 

I do rage. Quite frequently, in fact. I don't show my rage in-game though, because I have the sense to keep my headset off and then rain the torrent of abuse at an enemy. Does that make me a hypocrite? Probably. But at the same time, it is not aimed at someone in a manner where anyone can be effected by it, and it also means that by releasing anger I can be more calm when congratulating them on a victory. Alright, I don't always congratulate enemies on a victory, and sometimes I've thought to myself "Go fuck yourself" more than "Great game guys!". In any case though, I do think the main problem with the community on Xbox LIVE is their age and maturity. I'm 15, but I know that if I start acting like an idiot on the mic I am going to anger some other guys. Many parents see online gaming as being a harmless playground where kids can meet their friends and game together, but when they get competitive and hyper, then there's a problem. Johnny is going to be screaming profanity down the mic when someone who is simply playing as a manner of escapism manages to score that all-important headshot and so on. The community acts immaturely and it means the people who are most mature tend to either keep their headsets off, or talk exclusively in a party.

CaptainTryHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CaptainTryHard

There are so many "dicks" on XBL that when you have that funny moment with some similar minded stranger in which your pointing ammo-less guns at each other, you appreciate it more. At least that's my look on it.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By benpack
@xMP44x: That is true about the audiences. The MW2 crowd compared to, say, the GT5 or even Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood crowds must be worlds apart.
super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By super2j

A) you made the mistake in street fighter. If u wer mid battle, u just do it. I mean how does he know to understand that ur showing mercy, when all he see's is a character model. If u had voice chat and told u would wait u may (note: MAY) see a difference. Again, ur in a fighting game, there is no mercy, there are alot of other games that are more accepting of kindness. 
B) I read alot of stories about xbox live and the comments i hear are what u describe. And for the most part i do not have that problem on psn. It has happened a couple of times but usually i will hear 1) conversation between 2 ppl. 2)silence. On the pc, its even better in games like left 4 dead 2. Where ppl willing to help me and dont just run off on there own (and a game like that is bit more of the kind of game where kindness may be noticed and appreciated.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#17  Edited By jacksukeru

The next generation of consoles will come equipped with an AI that monitors all your online activity and gives you a shock through the controller if you're being a dick. #whatanicedream

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MisterMollusk

This is why I like dedicated servers on the pc. It allows you to find a server populated by decent gamers and get to know them after a while. Sure, I wouldn't call them "friends" in the technical sense, but its nice to have a place to go to where there's usually some recognizable faces (gamertags). Random matches just gets you a bunch of d bags.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By benpack
@RockmanBionics said:
" The next generation of consoles will come equipped with an AI that monitors all your online activity and gives you a shock through the controller if you're being a dick. #whatanicedream "
And it will bake you cookies.
Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By awesomeusername

It's not that bad on PSN since not that many people use mics. maybe 1 or 2 in every other CoD match but that's it. The hate mail doesn't come in. Usually I'll cure out a person if they're glitching or camping because it pisses me the hell off. But usually, just mute people. Best way. Also, adults are dicks too. Hate everyone online, except those you seem to get along with. 

Edit: If I ever encounter a little kid, I just tell them to shutup and mute them because they're Justin Bieber voices and trying to act tough selves are so annoying. 

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cnlmullen

That's exactly why I haven't played an online game since CS: Source.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Well, I've already given my two cents on this issue but to reiterate: Be nice to people who are nice, and to people who are dicks, ignore them and report them.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#23  Edited By jacksukeru
@GlenTennis said:
" @RockmanBionics said:
" The next generation of consoles will come equipped with an AI that monitors all your online activity and gives you a shock through the controller if you're being a dick. #whatanicedream "
And it will bake you cookies. "
Oh oh oh and you'll get one each time you get an Achievement/Trophy and it will be shaped like the icon that was on the achievement :D
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pinworm45

I've never understood why people are offended by stuff like this. People are dicks online, who cares? honestly, what does it matter? if some guy sends you rage messages, laugh at it, because it's funny. That's what I do.  

I honestly don't understand the big deal or how anyone can get 'fed up' by things like this. 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By trophyhunter

I said it once and I'll say it again. No one on the PS3 has a mic and it's blissfully silent all the time.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By CastroCasper

I like the moment when to random people do something nice for each other. It is worth all the idiots I think. It is like "oh shit, there actually is humanity left, somewhere".

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By awesomeusername
@RockmanBionics said:
" @GlenTennis said:
" @RockmanBionics said:
And it will bake you cookies. "
Oh oh oh and you'll get one each time you get an Achievement/Trophy and it will be shaped like the icon that was on the achievement :D "
That would be EPIC!!!!!!!!!
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By benpack
@trophyhunter said:
"  I said it once and I'll say it again. No one on the PS3 has a mic and it's blissfully silent all the time. "
That sounds terrifying and beautiful at the same time.

@Pinworm45 said:
" I've never understood why people are offended by stuff like this. People are dicks online, who cares? honestly, what does it matter? if some guy sends you rage messages, laugh at it, because it's funny. That's what I do.   I honestly don't understand the big deal or how anyone can get 'fed up' by things like this.  "

Well I guess people like me just don't have the godlike tolerance that you possess. I try to be a good person, and when that feeling isn't reciprocated, I am upset.
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By tourgen

Yeah sometimes multiplayer just isnt any fun because everyone else there seems to be getting joy by wrecking the game rather than just playing the game.

I played GOW2 a whole lot about a year ago and met the full gamut of people.  The cool thing was that there were a lot of really great and friendly people playing that game.  Some were more than happy to just BS during matches.  Sometimes we'd move over to a Horde game.  Other times it would be nothing but annoying teenagers trying oh so very hard to impress each other.  Really that was OK too because it was so damn funny to listen to.

I've got a pretty good crew to run with on Forza too from a private message board.  I recommend something like that.  Join or build a private online community of people you like gaming with.  Post events, run events, hold regular game nights.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Shit happens.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Same old, same old.

I do miss the days of couch multiplayer, least there you could punch your friend if he was spawncamping you.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FireBurger
@GlenTennis: Yeah, the online scene kind of sucks. I pretty much play exclusively without a mic because I can't be bothered with all of the assholes singing in their mics, trying to act tough, berating other players for not being good, and so on. The only thing I could suggest is to maybe try and find a casual, laid back clan that you can join and jump in with. I ran a clan like that for Bad Company 1 only briefly, but that time was easily my best experience with the game, and I still play with some of those guys.

Otherwise, if you're really after a better experience, try and reach out when you land in a lobby and just say what's up. Sometimes once someone breaks the ice, you can find some cool players and add them to your friends list.

While voice chat can certainly enhance the experience, I'd say that on average, I used to have a better experience on PC. It just seemed more courteous and sportsmanlike. Whether that's because it was a different audience, fewer young kids were playing, or just because when people typed angry messages it wasn't nearly as annoying as also listening to their nasally voices, I just felt more favorable towards other players. Voice chat sort of breaks down that rosy barrier.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#33  Edited By Yummylee

With al my experiences via RDR on PSN, I can solely say that no, it really isn't that much better. I've lost count over the amount of death threats (mostly by mexicans) and accusations of cheating I've gotten over there ;P

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Get in a clan. If you just let the system match you up, your going to meet a lot of assholes. But if you do a little extra work and find people to play with that are mature and fun to interact with, you will have way more fun. I had about 4 times as much fun in WoW before my amazing guild fell apart for that very reason.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By benpack
@MordeaniisChaos said:
" Get in a clan. If you just let the system match you up, your going to meet a lot of assholes. But if you do a little extra work and find people to play with that are mature and fun to interact with, you will have way more fun. I had about 4 times as much fun in WoW before my amazing guild fell apart for that very reason. "
The problem with this is the only times I have time to play games are really late (around 11 p.m. PST).
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By iam3green

yep, there are assholes on the internet. everywhere on the internet there are assholes. yeah, there is no point in being nice on the internet. people are just going to keep on yelling into the mic. i mute people when i don't feel like hearing them talking. it seems to work a lot when that happens.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By benpack
@iam3green: 
But isn't that a defeatest way to think about it? My whole point is the assholes are louder than the nice people because the nice people have given up because there are too many assholes, creating a Catch-22.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#38  Edited By natetodamax

Honestly, when I'm playing Call of Duty online (Xbox LIVE) most of the games I get into are complete silent.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By BaneFireLord

This is why I a) try to mainly play single player games and b) when I am playing multiplayer games, keep voice chat off and don't teabag people.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By JJWeatherman

We both had a sliver of health left and I figured his controller had died, so I thought "I've been there before, I'll just step back and wait for him to plug it in," and sure enough after about 10 seconds he had plugged it back in, and without giving any notice he threw a fireball at me and won.    

You gotta step on that throat, man. No backing down! 

People can be annoying, but I think it's worth going through to get worthy competition sometimes. Other times though, totally NOT worth it.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By Jeust
@GlenTennis:  

So what's my point? Being nice, helpful, or supportive online to other players is usually either met with silence or hatred, so I figures why even bother anymore.     

Act like you want to, but doesn't expect anything in return. Focus on your action, and let other people react to it. Just try to feel good about yourself. 
dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#42  Edited By dudacles

If you aren't trying to be nice to other people, you're just as much a part of the problem as they are.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#43  Edited By JJWeatherman

I just realized that this is a perfect home for this video: 

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By huntad

You shouldn't want to be nice to get yourself somewhere. Being nice isn't supposed to get you anywhere. If it does, great. If not, oh well. Don't be nice if you don't want to then. Be another silent or annoying individual on Xbox Live. Grats.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@GlenTennis said:
"  So what's my point? Being nice, helpful, or supportive online to other players is usually either met with silence or hatred, so I figures why even bother anymore. "
thats why there's something called Dedicated Servers for multiplayer games on PC..  the good helpful people who want to cooperate and have the best team-based competitive action of their lives filter the players and unite with the other good players in Clans, which usually own their own dedicated servers.. 

i dont mean to sound like a PC fanboy but if you're tired of matchmaking- which ALWAYS seemed effing stupid and pointless to me since internet anonymity combined with random matchmaking will usually result in alot of dicketry and all that- you should try playing on PC, find a clan whose members you enjoy playing with, become a part of the clan and roll with dozens of other members who offer the best skills they have 

dont get me wrong, its not like private servers or anything. there's always strangers and the occasional asshole, but atleast the majority would be clan members or good players who enjoy the clan's server, etc.. (but im sure u already knew that) 

The couple of years i spent playing Battlefield 2 with people i know/fellow clan members/server regulars were the best online experience in my life.. such organized and team-based tactics, with everyone's eyes on the big prize
CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By CptChiken

The internets is full of dicks, it just makes it so much more refreshing when you meet someone who is actually nice.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LiquidSwords

Not growing up in the Multiplayer  Generation has it's perks. It seems that games and players are now judged by this (Multiplayer Mode) and nothing else. Are there assholes on console and PC playing multiplayer? Yes. Is there a way to fix that? Yes, but it's not easy. Mute, kick out rude people and find a group of players that you are comfortable with. The weeding out process is a pain but I feel it's the only way to do things. 

I myself  have no problem playing games on my own.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48  Edited By jonnyboy

Just wait till after Christmas, it's always worse. A whole bunch of new shitty little brats with microphones. 'Tis the season to be muting.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sweep  Moderator
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By Jeust
@huntad said:
" You shouldn't want to be nice to get yourself somewhere. Being nice isn't supposed to get you anywhere. If it does, great. If not, oh well. Don't be nice if you don't want to then. Be another silent or annoying individual on Xbox Live. Grats. "
Yep! I agree.