• 77 results
benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By benspyda

Whats the most memorable bad guy you've encountered in a video game story? I always like a good villain in a story that is both creepy and cruel but can be oddly likable as well. The more obscure the better.

One that comes to mind for me was the power hungry psycho Volgin from Snake Eater. For a corny one, Wesker used to be good until they over did him in RE5.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

Saren and Sovereign. /thread 

But really, I thought Barthandalus from XIII was awesome. He was such a strange enemy and the music while fighting him is epic as hell. 

Also, I really liked Demise from Skward Sword. He is completely awesome.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I can't really think of any that have left much of an impact on me. Andrew Ryan was a unique antagonist, I suppose. General Shepherd from Modern Warfare 2 also turned out to be a surprising villain.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By WMWA

Ocelot from the MGS series. Andrew Ryan from Bioshock. That's about all that really comes to mind that are very memorable, at least motives wise

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By joshthebear
benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By benspyda

Also I thought Kain made a great antagonist in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. Especially how he was the main character of his own series. I wish that series didn't end the way it did.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By soldierg654342
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EvilTwin

G-Man if he counts as a villain.  He seems pretty manipulative at the very least. 

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I agree with Andrew Ryan. For some reason I could sort of sympathize with him, even.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Commisar123

Revolver Ocelot comes to mind.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Jon Irenicus from Baldur's Gate 2.

Easily.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By MEATBALL

Sofia Lamb is one of my favourites, one of the few villains to inspire a sort of angry venomous feeling inside of me.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Bleshoo
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Dagbiker

The moon from Majoras Mask, it gets madder and madder and it keeps staring at you.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Xtrememuffinman
nate6858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nate6858

@benspyda said:

Whats the most memorable bad guy you've encountered in a video game story? I always like a good villain in a story that is both creepy and cruel but can be oddly likable as well. The more obscure the better.

One that comes to mind for me was the power hungry psycho Volgin from Snake Eater. For a corny one, Wesker used to be good until they over did him in RE5.

Not obscure, but GladOS fits the rest to a tee ... creepy, cruel, manipulative and clearly evil but, you know what? Oddly charming all the way.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hatking

The kid from Bully was pretty damn awesome. Gary, really did a good job of being believable as a kid and still scary.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jerseyscum

Roy Earle.

Goddamn....I HATED that guy.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

Edgar Ross from RDR. Like seriously, what-a-CUNT. Dimitri from GTAIV's another good one, and I agree with the OP about Wesker, including how he kinda deflated and became more of a joke after his appearance in RE5. There's the Architect from Dragon Age: Awakening, and also while the battles themselves are horrendous, there's a lot of great villainous characters across the entire Dead Rising franchise.

EDIT: Oh and Liquid Snake, naturally. Plus both Starkweather and Piggsy from Manhunt are highly memorable antagonists, too. Nemesis from RE3 is one of most iconic, and that also naturally leads to suggesting Pyramid Head as well.

RSNielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RSNielsen

Sephiroth. Boom shut it down ;)

firewrkninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By firewrkninja

Baal from Diablo 2

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By raidingkvatch

Arcturus Mengsk, because of the turn when he goes from a revolutionary that you can get behind, to a power hungry dick who's probably worse than the dudes you helped him overthrow.

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Starfishhunter9

Kain from command and conquer.

ryanmc94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By ryanmc94

Ummm... Bowser?

Also GlaDOS and Andrew Ryan.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vexxan

GLaDOS is my number one pick.

BerserkingGuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BerserkingGuts
Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By James_ex_machina

Tiger Woods

Hargreaves93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hargreaves93

I always thought that Nemesis was the best antagonist. Playing the game at such a young age, I loved the idea of never knowing when he would show up and the Bazooka was bad-ass!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scooper

GladOS was an amazing villain which you loved to annoy and disobey, just to see her reaction.

The G-Man, if he counts as a villain, is one of the most mysterious and manipulative characters ever.

I guess Valve just make great characters. It's all down to their amazing writing efforts, really.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By beforet
sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By sub_o
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Branthog

I don't know about best, but damn good - Andrew Ryan and GLaDOS.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By MysteriousBob

Dr Robotnik because he actually has the balls to fight Sonic in person. Dr Wily just cowers in his castle and sends his minons out until he runs out of options.

Also any antagonist from the Metal Gear series. Any.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nottle

@wmaustin55 said:

Ocelot from the MGS series. Andrew Ryan from Bioshock. That's about all that really comes to mind that are very memorable, at least motives wise

I completely agree with both Ocelot and Andrew Ryan, but what exactly were Ocelot's motives. I've played all 4 MGS games, but god damn...

he's a sextuple agent Working for the KGB but really the CIA, but really the philosophers, but really, Foxhound, but reallly, the president and Dead Cell, and really the patriots, but really he removed his old liquid arm that would control him, so that he could get a robot arm, and so he could brainwash himself into thinking he was Liquid, to fool the patriots and carry out Big Bosses plans. Did I get that right?

Also every villain is pretty great in MGS. Liquid, Solidus, Volgin, and the Boss. All have interesting motivations and are just plain awesome.

Glados is also pretty great along with Kefka and some more I'll probably have to think of.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Canteu

Probably Golbez simply because he is ON YOUR ASS the entire time.

Most villains are just like "Hey im a villain come get me!" then you don't see them until the end.

Also Kefka...DAT LAFF HOHOHOHOHO

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#37  Edited By Atlas

While I very much agree with Andrew Ryan and GLaDOS as rating among the best ever game bosses, I want to throw out some ones that might not get as much appreciation and are a little less obvious.

Oh, and by the way, SPOILERS.

Teyrn Loghain from Dragon Age: Origins - Loghain strikes me as one of the most interesting and unappreciated villains in all of video games. It's so easy to fall into the stereotypical big baddie archetype without providing them with any more richness of character. Loghain makes two very significant transformations during the game's story arch - the first occurs right at the start of the game, where the man considered a national hero and the most loyal of men betrays his own king and almost dooms his country, at which point he assumes power. Loghain works as a character to me because he is not a simple case of being evil; he is a man who acts based on prejudices that have been engrained in him through his life, rather than wilfully acting evil to screw people over. The game's penultimate act at the Landsmeet in Denerim, where Loghain's plans come crumbling around him, reveals his true character in a brilliant way. He was willing to do absolutely anything he could to protect his land, but he was misguided, blinded by rage, and he completely failed to realise that the Darkspawn posed a much greater threat than the Orlesian enemy he so passionately despised. Loghain is a tragic figure, a soldier through and through, who knows only the cruelty and hatred of war. He's also loyal to the last, but is entirely unfit to lead a nation. He took over power in Ferelden because he believed that nobody else would have the courage and the foresight to save the land. He was wrong, but his intentions were almost admirable. This is the kind of depth and complexity that defines truly excellent character creation; it's something that BioWare has made a reputation on, and Loghain is one of their best.

Dr. Wallace Breen from Half-Life 2 - the silent protagonist is a difficult role to pull off, but it is possible if you surround your speechless hero with fully realised and nuanced characters. Such is the case of Gordon Freeman, who has become an icon among gamers without saying a single word, but some of his supporting cast have become just as famous and celebrated, from the chirpy and slightly meek Dr. Kleiner to the straight-talking beer-owing soldier Barney to the loyal girl-next-door comrade Alyx Vance. But for me, Half-Life 2's best character is Dr. Breen, the malevolent puppet leader of the oppressing force, the human simulacrum of the Combine. Again, Dr. Breen is not simply evil, but he has a very clear view of humanity's future. He seems like the only character in the universe who has accepted humanity's doom as a reality, and thus wishes to make the best of a situation that is all kinds of fucked up, and that he, as the administrator of the Black Mesa Research Facility, played a part in causing. Some of Dr. Breen's dialogue is absolutely brilliant, and although you don't actually see the character in person until the very end of the game (except for a very brief moment during the first chapter where you are teleported momentarily to his office), you are constantly reminded of his presence by the large screens scattered around City 17 which broadcast his dystopian message. Dr. Breen has to carry an awful lot of the weight in telling Half-Life 2's subtle but entirely wonderful story, and although the final pay-off for the character comes with an entirely disappointing boss battle, he is without doubt one of the most memorable and affecting characters in recent memory.

Kurt Dierker from The Saboteur - Developer Pandemic Studios' swan song was regarded as a pulpy, stylish and somewhat engaging open-world adventure, but suffered from gameplay issues and some rough edges, as well as, and I quote Ryan Davis, "a sense that its best tricks are borrowed from other, better games." My appreciation for The Saboteur is greater than most, and one aspect of the game that I felt Pandemic got so little credit for was creating a Nazi who didn't feel like the archetypal big bad fascist. This sense is mostly due to two particularly effective sequences during the game. The first takes place during the game's opening chapter, which shows mechanic turned race driver Sean Devlin taking on Dierker at the Saarbrucken Grand Prix race, mere months before the Nazi invasion of France. Devlin believes Dierker to be a simple cheating asshole after Dierker shoots out Devlin's tyres in order to win the race, but soon afterward they realise that Dierker is much more than he seems. He is actually a high ranking Nazi officer who ends up killing Sean's best friend in cold blood, beginning Devlin's revenge tale. At this point he becomes the ever present malevolent force hanging over the resistance in Nazi occupied Paris, but his second key moment, the game's brilliant ending scene atop the Eiffel Tower, presents Dierker as a vulnerable and desperate man, scared of his fate, and possibly even remorseful over all the violent acts he has committed in the name of the Fuhrer and his Reich, the perfect depiction of the fragile insanity that defined Hitler's regime. It also becomes incredibly apparent how similar the two men are, as they fought so devotedly for their individual causes, crossing the blurred line of morality on several occasions and doing whatever needs to be done. Dierker's last line is "He are going to Hell, aren't we, Irishman?". It's an amazingly powerful moment, and one that should not be forgotten. Even if you don't want to play the game, find a video online that shows you the key moments in The Saboteur's story. You won't regret it.

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GTCknight

AM: He tortures your five playable characters for 109 years and uses their flaws to mess with you.

Kreia: She guides you teaches you both the light and dark sides of the forces, and why both sides are wrong. Then at the very end she backstabs you and tires to destroy the force.

For now I think that's all I can come up with right now.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By time allen

@Atlas said:

Dr. Wallace Breen from Half-Life 2

great pick. ashamed of myself that i forgot about breen.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NTM

Yeah, I love weird bad guys as well, but as always with these "what's your favorite" threads, I can't choose one. But a crazy bad guy that comes to mind since you kind of put it in my mind is Jester from DMC3. That's kind of reaching back though, but he was an interesting one. As for guys I felt could have been so much better (but aren't necessarily bad), would have been Deus Ex: Human Revolution bosses.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Animasta

Darth Traya was already mentioned, but she's amazing so I'll mention her again.

Another one I really liked was Killbane

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Jayzilla

Darth Kreia. She was a super creeper. Ganon in Ocarina of Time was cool too.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By spyder335

spoilers but the game is old so who cares

master li from jade empire, god what a manipulative bastard. He teaches the main character to defeat his enemies for him but teaches him with a weakness so he could still defeat his student. Still my favorite what the fuck m oment in gaming

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another one for Darth Traya from KOTOR2. The best worst thing about Traya was understanding that both of us knew that we would be on opposing sides by the time the endgame happened, all before the actual end.

RickJames123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RickJames123

Any antagonist in the Uncharted series was a pain in the ass

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@benspyda said:

Also I thought Kain made a great antagonist in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. Especially how he was the main character of his own series. I wish that series didn't end the way it did.

More Legacy of Kain games would be great, but they at least finished the story. It's at least not stuck forever in limbo with an unfinished story, like Shenmue.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gargantuan

Saren, GLadOS and Dagoth Ur are my favourite antagonists

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Dr. Breen is by far thee most iconic video game villain to me. Half-Life 2 was the first game where I actually was intrigued by the evil guy and cared to know more about him, yet really hated seeing him and wanted to kill him. 

I fucking hate how this Breen-centered video has a GMAN THUMBNAIL. WHY? misleading shit. 
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mordukai

@SoldierG654342 said:

SHODAN, obviously.

Done. We can all just go home. Fully agreed. SHODAN is the best villain in gaming history.

DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DXmagma

Hot Coldman from Peace Walker. As monstrous as he first appeared (He pushed Otacon's dad down a flight of stairs!) in the end all he wants is to ensure peace for future generations. I guess that describes EVERY well ententioned extremist but whenever an "anti-villain" usually shows up, I can't see a reason why they couldn't just find other, less evil ways to get peace. But Coldman was believable to me. Maybe it's because he was clear with how he planned to do it or because I know how the world of metal Gear ends up, but he seemed to really want Peace Walker to...well deliver Peace.