whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@fisk0 said:

@corevi said:

@fisk0: The story for Van Buren made it into New Vegas and the DLC with some changes.

Well, when it comes to the Fallout games I prefer the isometric perspective and turn based battles, so even if the story threads made it to the later games, the genre change isn't doing a lot for me.

Wasteland 2 may be the game you are looking for. I loved it.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm going to assume someone made a Last Guardian joke already (if that even would be a joke...) but Star Wars 1313 and Chrono Break would be my picks.

I'd still really love a Chrono-anything sequel.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

In light of my other thread today on the revealed vertical slice of the cancelled game "Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun", it got me trying to remember other cancelled games I thought looked very promising and would have liked to have seen completed and released.

I'm sort of an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of guy, so only Pirates of the Carribbean: Armada of the Damned came to mind right away. I thought it was looking pretty interesting and I will take just about any decent pirate game I can get, so it was a bit of a downer that this one got cancelled. It was shown at an E3 and I seem to remember Jeff saying how promising it looked.

Loading Video...

What cancelled game(s) can you duders think of that looked promising and you would have liked to see the light of day? If you have links to info/videos of the cancelled game (and why they were cancelled) I'd really like to see them. It's really fascinating to see the amount of work and effort that goes into a game being cut off at the knees, so to speak.

I came in here with the intention of mentioning this Pirates of the Caribbean game. I thought what I saw and read of it looked great and I was actually really excited to see if they could pull off what they were trying.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was supposed to be a Baten Kaitos game for the DS, but that seems to have gotten canned almost immediately because I remember reading the Gamespot page for it back in 05, but I don't remember seeing any pictures or video of it. If it followed the plot of the first game, and didn't follow the same limited character format of the prequel then it could have been really good.

Also any Chrono Trigger remake or fanmade sequel. Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes was apparently 98% complete before Square sent a cease-and-desist. Although that's different because the rom of that is still playable, and I'm not sure how incomplete it is.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

This is Vegas. Not because it was going to be good, but because it was going to be cheezie. It was a really sleazy game and uncouth in conception, but there is really nothing wrong with that....it would be been interesting, Sometimes weird stupid games should exist. There needs to a a John Waters attitude of gaming too, games that are irreverent to the medium itself should exist.

This is vegas would have been trashy....because THAT IS VEGAS. This Is Vegas would be have sexist, reprehensible and dumb but that is okay if that was the point.

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 65

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-633b51f58caf2
deactivated-633b51f58caf2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StarFox 2 for sure. They had a display unit in my local Toys R Us and it had a short video of it and listed it as "coming soon." I must've watched that video a hundred times - like 2-3 times per visit and I used to visit Toys R Us A LOT, as they were my town's largest game retailer at the time. It bums me out to this day. I'm eventually going to have to shell out for a classy repro with box and manual.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By supermonkey122

Conker's Other Bad Fur Day. *sigh*

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

I Tweeted this forum topic, and this is the response I got from Rich Gallup:

No Caption Provided

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Capum15

Tiberium looked kinda awesome until EA gave it the axe.

Mercenaries 3: No Limits, but then EA shuttered Pandemic.

C&C: Generals 2 before it went Free-to-Play, and then was cancelled.

Damnit, EA.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tuxfool: Sabotaged would be an understatement. The developers of Prey 2 were fucking ROBBED by the putrid shithole of a company called Zenimax. I suggest that anyone even remotely interested in anything Zenimax's property puts out, that they are effectively supporting the robbery, sabotage and disbandment of many good developers.

Tiamatsword22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

B.C.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_(video_game)

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By tuxfool

@trafalgarlaw: You can't say robbed, because the developers were working on Bethesda IP and were (supposed to be) paid by Bethesda.

The whole reason the project failed was because Zenimax wanted to buy Human Head on the cheap, so they kept failing milestones (and withholding payment) in an attempt to bankrupt HH and force a buyout.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@tuxfool: At some point, due to Zenimax's hostile nature regarding the development, they were in debts because of the failing milestones. If you work on an IP and do not get paid, have to make additional expenses and ultimately the work is taken off your hands, that's straight up ROBBERY. You are robbed of manhours and money, I cannot explains this any simpler.

They stole their hard worked CODE of Prey 2. I won't be surprised when all of a sudden Prey 2 reappears with much of the original game intact.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw: Yeah. I don't think any of their work will surface, Bethesda would be insane to use any of the assets developed by Human Head. Wasn't a lawsuit filed?

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@tuxfool: I don't know much about that but they can pretty much alter the assets of the game if they enlist another developer, which they will subsequently burn to the ground.

Naked_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was so excited for Mega Man Universe

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a Space Marine sequel or something that was in the works at one point, but fell apart amongst the collapse of THQ. I wonder if Prey 2 or some such just may raise it's head once again. People liked the trailer. Half Life 3, I just do not think. I feel it is being squeezed to a no-go, time-wise. Also a sequel for Freedom Fighters has long past it's moment. I would wonder about a System shock 3, but I think Dead Space is the most one will see in that regard.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Ezekiel
@kasaioni said:

Metal Gear Solid: Rising. I still think that if they tried, and if Kojima hadn't been working on Peace Walker at the time. They could have come up with a cool blade sneaking game. Plus I wanted that part of the story to be explained in more detail.

Loading Video...

What they were trying to do sounded a lot funner than what Platinum Games reduced the game to. I have a low opinion of PG after playing it, even ignoring the original concept. It also made me think less of action (hack and slash) games in general. It's a shallow genre.

"Kimura stated that Rising would carry on the series tradition of encouraging players to progress through the game without killing, noting that there is a moral difference between attacking cyborgs or robots and attacking human beings, and that there is a "certain virtue to simply disabling your enemies instead of killing them." While it was considered important to give the players freedom Matsuyama indicated that players would never be rewarded for killing human opponents, and that the game would be designed so that players would never be forced to do so. Specifically, the game's stealth elements would have emphasized Raiden's considerable speed and agility through what Matsuyama describes as "hunting stealth." Unlike the stealth of previous titles, in which players remained hidden and avoided combat, players in Rising would instead quickly stalk their enemies and use acrobatic maneuvers to stay out of sight while closing in."

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

The Last Guardian . The debut trailer blew me away more than anything else.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Ezekiel

Combo vids aren't new to me. Action games usually do one thing well. They're bland for it. Other games feel more complete. An action-adventure game without the adventure is boring.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By joshwent

@ezekiel: We really, really need to get beyond expressing "I don't like these games." as "These games all suck.". One is a perfectly fine description of your tastes. The other is unproductive flamewar bait.

Let's go with the former.

Mechageekzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steambot Chronicles 2. Cancelled after the 2011 tsunami. There are probably not many people who even knew the first game, but I loved it. An alternate universe JRPG where steam powered mecha were commonplace and you could make a living adventuring or playing music in a band (complete with button matching rhythm game that varied depending on which instrument you chose for your character).

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#75  Edited By mechakirby

There was this PC game in development called Project O-something, I can't remember but I swear it started with an o. But it was like sorta mideval type setting, I think it might've been first person and you were some sort of assassin it seemed (like a more action oriented Assassin's Creed) and I remember there being an Ogre you kill? It was a big graphical showcase. I think Intel even demo'd the game to show off some new hardware or something?

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Time period is like 2006-2008.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'm curious about what Copernicus might have been. Kingdoms of Amalur had a good backbone to it. I was pretty stoked about that Pirates of the Caribbean arrrrrPG that got cancelled too. Oh well.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw said:

Pirates of the Caribbean arrrrrPG

I should not have laughed at this dumb pun as much as I did.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars 1313, Prey 2 and Fallout 3 Van Buren

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@whitegreyblack: I should probably be consigned to the bloody deep for that one! Insert poop deck joke of choice here.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

If we're talking games I was excited for and then was bummed about when they got canned, I can't think of a ton of stuff. Maybe Star Wars 1313?

If we're talking about cancelled games I'd like to play in an alternate universe, there are plenty. Like the scrapped version of Resident Evil 4 with the hook ghost man, or Van Buren, or the original Twelve Tales before it became Conker's Bad Fur Day. Yeah, totally.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Resident Evil 1.5. Also Donkey Kong Racing.

Avatar image for disquisedjustin
DisquisedJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shenmue 3. After Shenmue 2, I was sooooooo ready for Shenmue 3, a shame what happened to this amazing franchise.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Back in the day Van Buren but I got over it since Fallout had been twisted and turned into something entirely different.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By BoOzak
@ezekiel said:

Combo vids aren't new to me. Action games usually do one thing well. They're bland for it. Other games feel more complete. An action-adventure game without the adventure is boring.

Honestly I'd rather play a game that does one thing well than a game that does a dozen things poorly.

Prey 2 seemed really cool but I thought Arkane were still working on it in some form or another?

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By tuxfool

@trafalgarlaw: I honestly hope Prey 2 never sees the light of day. What happened was too much of an injustice. People all the time complain of the scumminess of EA or Activision, but I'm not aware of either of those companies ever pulling something like this.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

This. Also Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Having followed it, and XV, it seems like not much has changed in terms of story, but I'll always wonder what a Nomura-helmed Versus XIII looks like.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Crossing by Arkane Studios. Most likely too ambitious for the time, but it seemed like a revolutionary concept for the time, and I guess it still kind of is.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hewitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original concept for Fable 1

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saboteur was the coolest thing I had seen as a nine-year old back in the late 90s. The lead character had a tank top, a katana AND a wolf. The game was supposed to have a really in-depth combat system that looked dope as fuck. This intro sequence is pimp as hell:

Loading Video...

Hewitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What was that game called for the xbox 360 i think it was...Frame City Killer? That looked cool.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Hyped for Tiberium and Generals 2 from the C&C 'verse back in the day. Instead, EA shut them both down and later gave us a game that does not exist.

Also really wanted to play Starcraft: Ghost before being forced to accept that it would forever be vaporware. All we got instead was an origin story in paperback form, which was a pile of zerg droppings.

Then again, seeing how games like WET and Duke Nukem Forever turned out, maybe there's a reason some games should just stay dead rather than suffer through attempts at resurrection.

doltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got to go with The Agency:Covert Ops! It looked really cool to me!

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#95  Edited By hans_maulwurf

Faith and a .45 definitely looked intriguing to me settings wise, even though it probably would have been a middling game at best. Same goes for the Heat-game from Gearbox - looking at what happened to Aliens:CM though it's probably good it didn't actually happen. Maybe someday someone will pull a Warriors on this one and make a great game for it decades later. And finally, I would've given more SIN-Episodes a chance - the first one wasn't great, but had some potential.

eliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun, Prey 2, Star Wars 1313 are all game I would have loved to get to play.

GeekMarty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, now that I think about it, Star Wars 1313 and Prey 2 would've been similar games in terms of setting and what you do.
I'd really like a good and dedicated bounty hunter game. Star Citizen (among others I'm sure) provide that as a career choice at least.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wanted to play that Titan AE game that got canceled. But I am also a bad person

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mew Genics? Not sure it's gonna come out at this point.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Lily Bergamo

While I'm not an anime fan, Lily Bergamo looked way more interesting than the game it turned into (Let it Die).

To be honest, you can't get less interesting than Let it Die. Its style looks horribly out of touch. It would be pretty funny if Suda replaced the art style again with an E3 trailer this year.