Disgusting move by Bioware and all other publishers...

• 93 results
YakuzaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By YakuzaIII

So typical, only let the media who we know give us great scores, review our game and delay all other reviews until releaseday. 
IGN choosed ME as the best XBOX 360game, go figure why they got handpicked. or the OXM.
Its typical bullshit, and it will continue for every other big franchise, remember ubisoft stopped sending EGM games after the 7/10 for Assassins Creed. Letting them know, if thats how they view our games, buy it at launch and get no media coverage in time. In one way I can understand that mentality, why should a publisher release stuff before its out to sites/magazines which doesnt help them? but when it comes to Assassins Creed2 or Mass Effect 2 we already know it wont flop. so its just to hype the 10/10 stuff...

hate it, and it will happen with FFXIII also. And no, im not some kind of ME2 basher, I love ME, but where are all the european or american reviews? nope, IGN got their exclusive apparently.
Any consumer who see benefits with "review exclusive before launch" ? what a retarded system to begin with.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

In Bioware's defence, they have nothing to do with the marketing for the game.  It's all EA.
But yes, sadly this is just how it works.  At least in ME2's case I'm sure the review didn't change based on the fact they got an exclusive.

Look at Tony Hawk Ride in comparasion, where only reviewers who gave the game a 90% or higher were allowed to review the game before release.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

It's not like they're threatening to pull ad support if they don't get good scores like some pubs.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ArchScabby

Feel better?

YakuzaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By YakuzaIII
@MrKlorox said:
" It's not like they're threatening to pull ad support if they don't get good scores like some pubs. "
well, that's one thing. its another thing to prevent any reviews to be up except the handpicked ones.
Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6  Edited By MachoFantastico

Welcome to modern gaming, everyone does it.  

Should be use to it by now. Can you blame them? Game development is an expensive business and they'll take any precaution they can to make sure there game sells. 

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By apathylad

Yes, review embargoes bother me, as you mentioned with Assassin's Creed/EGM incident (I didn't really like AC). That's why I like websites that compile multiple reviews to get a better sense of people's complaints.

YakuzaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By YakuzaIII

Well, im glad that you link german and polish magazine, that really help. never heard of anyone nor will I understand it.
How about english gamingsites? like gamepro,gamespot,gamespy,1up or eurogamer etc. you see what im hinting at here?
irrelevant gamingsites or magazines in germany or poland doesnt help me,nor does "IGN's second opinion guys at AU or UK.

btw, very intresting with for ex Swedish gamingsites (like gamereactor) they have ADVS for ME2, but not the review.
Its laughable and low by EA/BIOWARE who basically fill you with commerical, but the review, well you can have it the day your supposed to buy the game.

Do the music or movie industry work the same? no.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By zero_
@YakuzaIII said:
" Well, im glad that you link german and polish magazine, that really help. never heard of anyone nor will I understand it. How about english gamingsites? like gamepro,gamespot,gamespy,1up or eurogamer etc. you see what im hinting at here? irrelevant gamingsites or magazines in germany or poland doesnt help me,nor does "IGN's second opinion guys at AU or UK.  btw, very intresting with for ex Swedish gamingsites (like gamereactor) they have AVDS for ME2, but not the review. Its laughable. "
So you're saying you're not happy with obscure, unknown publications reviewing it... and then not happy when big publications like IGN review it?
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox
@Zero_: Looks like it to me.
YakuzaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By YakuzaIII
@Zero_ said:

" @YakuzaIII said:

" Well, im glad that you link german and polish magazine, that really help. never heard of anyone nor will I understand it. How about english gamingsites? like gamepro,gamespot,gamespy,1up or eurogamer etc. you see what im hinting at here? irrelevant gamingsites or magazines in germany or poland doesnt help me,nor does "IGN's second opinion guys at AU or UK.  btw, very intresting with for ex Swedish gamingsites (like gamereactor) they have AVDS for ME2, but not the review. Its laughable. "
So you're saying you're not happy with obscure, unknown publications reviewing it... and then not happy when big publications like IGN review it? "
No, im saying, that if I can't even understand the language, what good does it do to me?
You think the major player in the market is for ex "poland"? you think the huge sales comes from "POLAND"?  
And I never said I was against IGN,  I said im against the idea that there is only one player who is allowed to review each hit title prior to release, like in this case IGN.
You think Eurogamer,1up,giantbomb,gamespot,gamespy,gamepro etc are just lazy?

Last time it was "gameinformer" who got the exclusive for Mass Effect review, and it landed on 9.75... yeah im supriseed also.
Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14  Edited By MachoFantastico

Why not give a game it's credit for lords sake, if a games good then it'll get a good score. It's not a damn conspiracy, There's nothing wrong with those scores, maybe they gave Mass Effect such good scores because it's actually a good game... ever thought about that.  

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zero_

You say major sales don't come from Poland... then why do you think EA/Bioware even gave that magazine the game to review in the first place? What's your conspiracy theory for that?

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By demonbear

You're making a big deal out of this. Reviews are authorised on release day and they want to control reviews that might come out before that day, its quite alright.

dont like it? Wait for release day.

Now get a tissue and calm down.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By CL60

Bioware and all other publishers?...sigh....Bioware isn't even the Publisher..

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By napalm

I am pretty sure IGN has been given this exclusivity for quite some time, as they are part of a giant media... er... giant. I'm not too surprised, but I also don't depend exclusively on reviews to say whether I am purchasing a game or not, so in the end, I don't care too much.

And yes, let's try to leave the whole Ubisoft Assassin's Creed ordeal in the past, hm?

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@YakuzaIII said:
Do the music or movie industry work the same? no. "
Actually, they do the exact same thing. When studios think a movie is going to flop, they don't hold preview screenings for critics so there are no bad reviews until the movie comes out. It's kind of a red flag.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By get2sammyb

To be fair, it's just the way the business of reviews work. I believe the embargo is up tomorrow for everyone. If you don't trust IGN's review, wait the 24 hours, check out ALL the reviews and then pick up the game.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By penguindust

I heard on the a few podcasts (Invisible Walls & Joystiq) that they had review copies in and were playing them.  They said the reviews would be posted on the day of release.  So, (A) that isn't the same as "go buy it if you want to review it" and (B) it isn't the same as threatening to cut off access if a bad review is given.  Smaller game websites break embargoes, it's true, but the respectable ones who want to have good relationships with the game publishers respect them so that they can continue to have access to the developers.  What is more troubling is rumors that some websites get priority only if they rate a game at a 9 or 10.   I've also heard that publishers can practically buy a good review from other publications like Famitsu.   The truth of the matter is this is a business and the best way to ensure profitability is to reduce risk.  

Plus, in this case, maybe EA/Bioware didn't want a whole lot of spoiler laden reviews on the web before people had a chance to have the game in their hands.  By limiting the number of websites allowed to publish a review they hoped to limit the spoilers in circulation.  Maybe, maybe not, but it's just a thought.  After all, who wants tho know how Final Fantasy XIII ends three months before you can play it?

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Venatio

This thread is fucking stupid

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Grimace

As an aside - what is with IGN AU and giving most games (especially big releases) lower scores than IGN US - do they want attention or something?

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Synthballs
@PenguinDust: FFXIII ends with them killing the final boss and the main woman and man getting together unless she/he has been killed by said villain.  Not a lot of spoilers to be had with a FF.  

But, This guy makes a good point. I don't want spoilers. Heck, I haven't played the first!
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By foggel
I always thought it was the publishers who were responsible for the marketing of games.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26  Edited By Cerza

This is the way the review process works. It's worked this way for a long time. Get over it. There are far more unethical practices in this industry than how gaming reviews and the press are handled. The thing to do is not pay attention to those reviews that come out two weeks ahead of the games launch day saying how amazing game X is and that it's God's new gift to the world. Don't buy games on launch day unless it's something you know you will like based off what is shown and told about the game ahead of time. If it's something you are on the fence about wait until after the game has been out for a month or so before purchasing it. By that time the negative reviews will be out and you will get to see the whole picture. Also, learn to read between the lines so you know if someone is trying to sell you cloud insurance or not.

JoshLarson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JoshLarson

@Yakuzalll: I totally agree with you. The gaming industry is a complete joke at the moment. What ever happened to the separation between the review process and a publisher's PR pressure department? These days a review is written and then submitted to the publisher and if it passes a certain agreed upon threshold score, then it can be posted early in order to deceptively fudge the metacritic scores before the game releases. If publishers have that kind of access and subtle influence over the review process then is it any wonder why review scores for games have steadily crept upwards to the point where now any game not getting over at least an 8 is considered an automatic pass.  

@WinterSnowblind: Bioware knew exactly what it was doing when it sold itself to EA so it is also responsible for this kind of shady behavior the original poster was describing.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By JJWeatherman

Buck up buddy, it's a billion dollar industry now.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By penguindust
@Synthballs:  Ha-ha, so you are saying it might be a bit predictable?  Naw, not FF!  Anyway, I was loosely referring to an incident last week where someone here on GB posted a "revenge thread" detailing the end of FF XIII including specifically who lives and who dies. 
zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zero_
@Grimace said:
" As an aside - what is with IGN AU and giving most games (especially big releases) lower scores than IGN US - do they want attention or something? "

Nah, games that come to Australia automatically get deducted points because of the crime committed with the Office of Film and Literature:

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pause422

Until you actually have a clue at what you're talking about, its better just to not comment and make yourself look dumb in the process.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cspiffo
I don't get what's so disgusting about it.  This is the way of the world.  Would you respect Bioware more if the put a review score in their ADVERTISMENT the gave the game a 3 of 10 stating it's the shittiest game they ever played.  That would be funny, but how does that help Bioware.  I think you have some misdirected anger.  The people you should be upset with are the ones who whored themselves out just to get the exclusive first dibs review.  Those are the people that you have to question.  Not Bioware or EA.
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ghostiet

The Polish CD-Action gave 10/10 to Mass Effect 2? I remember they were very harsh when it came to tens at their peak. Either it's so good, or the harshness got devaluated along with the rest of the mag (which is a shame).

Nonetheless, I don't give a fuck. I only read about games on Giant Bomb, Destructoid and GameTrailers, and at points even their reviews can't stop me from buying something I'm hyped for.

Also, I prefer paid reviews over Germany's Eurogamer, which made a point of honor to give a 6-7 to every awesome game released in the last 10 years and every piece of shit a 9/10 and GOTY as long it was made in Germany.

GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By GeneralTurkle
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" @YakuzaIII said:
Do the music or movie industry work the same? no. "
Actually, they do the exact same thing. When studios think a movie is going to flop, they don't hold preview screenings for critics so there are no bad reviews until the movie comes out. It's kind of a red flag. "
lol! Have you never seen a preview for a movie on TV where it's like "JOE BLOW GAVE THIS MOVIE 2 THUMBS UP!" when the the movie hasn't even came out yet? case closed
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By DrPockets000
@WinterSnowblind said:
" In Bioware's defence, they have nothing to do with the marketing for the game.  It's all EA. But yes, sadly this is just how it works.  At least in ME2's case I'm sure the review didn't change based on the fact they got an exclusive.  Look at Tony Hawk Ride in comparasion, where only reviewers who gave the game a 90% or higher were allowed to review the game before release. "
This confuses me.  Someone actually gave Tony Hawk Ride a 90%?
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ryanwho

I don't mean to state the obvious here but well here goes.  
If the industry shills are so easy to pick out, just ignore them. Is it really that hard to ignore them? Is it really that hard to ignore Famitsu, IGN, Play, etc? You not ignoring them even though they're clearly shills is what put them in power to begin with.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jadeskye

But You guys have to bare in mind it works this way for a reason. I'm not saying it's okay but i'm saying it does operate that way for a positive purpose. 

And people like ourselves know this is how it works, so wait for release day for your review, it's pretty simple.

YakuzaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By YakuzaIII
@Venatio said:
" This thread is fucking stupid "
what a moron.
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Venatio
@YakuzaIII said:
" @Venatio said:
what a moron. "
Calling me a moron? Thanks random GB user
Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By The_Philosopher
@YakuzaIII: 
 "choosed"? Really? I'm sorry but I'm not even gonna bother to read the rest of your post. It's called embargo dumbass.  
YakuzaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By YakuzaIII
@Venatio said:
" @YakuzaIII said:
" @Venatio said:
what a moron. "
Calling me a moron? Thanks random GB user "
you're welcome.
kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kennybaese

I guess I can see you frustration, but no one gets all upset when a movie doesn't do a review screening. Games like ME are big enough that everyone else will review the game at some point. If everyone can manage to wait a couple days after release then you can get more reviews and make a more informed purchase. On one hand, it kind of sucks, but on the other hand it's a business thing, and as such, it makes sense. The only way that it really becomes a problem is if they actually tell people what to review their game. That becomes a journalistic ethics thing.   

Either way, it's not that big of a deal. I think people just need to keep in mind that game publishing is a business. They aren't there to cater to us as much as they are there to make money by putting out games.  

Oh, and you should be upset with EA, not Bioware. They don't control things like this, the actual publisher does. Bioware just makes the game, they don't put it out. They're just the developer.

YakuzaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By YakuzaIII

well, im not that frustrated, but it does stink that in day 25th, no review by gamespot,1up,gamepro,gameinformer and eurogamer etc.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Andorski

IGN usually gets picked for exclusive reviews in the US when the publisher has a strong feeling that they are going to give it a high score.  Tin hat enthusiasts believe this is all a marketing scheme: IGN gets paid for reviews and publishers get a high score to market the game with.  I just think that PR people are good at their jobs and know that IGN is as well known site and what they say matters.  While the internetz hate IGNorant, it's clear that the site gets the most traffic and people who don't live on forum boards take their reviews and make purchasing decisions off of them.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By EpicSteve
@Grimace said:
"As an aside - what is with IGN AU and giving most games (especially big releases) lower scores than IGN US - do they want attention or something? "

I don't think any game journalist is systematically scoring games to generate attention. Perhaps that group of people have higher standards for game, or less forgiving.
gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By gike987
@chimpchamp said:
" I understand the feeling... as I posted in another thread around here, on the Bioware forums they've just been locking any thread that discusses the game before release. 

So even when a fan who really enjoyed it wants to share their experience, and everyone is dying to ask questions, they shut it down to control the image and make sure the image they paid for is what we see. 
  http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/738611/1   Sucks.  Sucks a lot.  All games need marketing to make lots of money these days, that's fine, but when a company like Bioware/EA doesn't trust the game to sell itself on their own fan forums I get suspicious/worried/disappointed. "
It's not so hard to under stand it got closed when he posted spoilers in an no spoilers forum.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@DrPockets000 said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:
" In Bioware's defence, they have nothing to do with the marketing for the game.  It's all EA. But yes, sadly this is just how it works.  At least in ME2's case I'm sure the review didn't change based on the fact they got an exclusive.  Look at Tony Hawk Ride in comparasion, where only reviewers who gave the game a 90% or higher were allowed to review the game before release. "
This confuses me.  Someone actually gave Tony Hawk Ride a 90%? "
Yes, there were magazines/websites that gave Ride good scores...
Oddly enough, all places that got exclusive reviews before most everywhere else.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Azteck
@chimpchamp:  I think they close down the threads to keep spoilers from starting to circulate the web. I'm very thankful for that since I'm super stoked for ME2. 

And besides. You have to drop the conspiracy theories and realize that not all reviewers are corrupt and get bribed just because they get to play the games before other reviewers. They send their games to large businesses (like IGN) because they know that, if they get a good score, that means a shit-ton of coverage on it.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By ProfessorEss

Business as usual, nothing more.