Do you guys LIKE the direction the art has taken in the new Zelda Games?

• 72 results
jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jack_daniels
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Scooper

Yeah, I kinda do. It gave it the storybook and exciting feel that I got from A link To The Past and Link's Adventure.
I wouldn't like all of the Zelda games to look like that but I enjoyed Wind Waker alot, very funny game in some spots.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Hitchenson

Isn't it the same as Wind Waker? I'd be happy if all Zelda games had that artstyle. 

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jack_daniels

I don't own a Wii or a DS but I am shocked at what Zelda games look like now. They are becoming more and more cartoony and even remind me of that hideous cartoon show that once existed. The only Zelda game I ever really played was Ocarina of time and it wasn't cartoony at all. The argument can be made that all games on the 64 were a bit cartoony but I try to compare OoT against such games as Perfect Dar and Goldeneye. Zelda didn't look too different from either of those. I just get the feeling that Zelda used to be a game that everyone can enjoy and now it is becoming more focused on the younger crowd.  All in all I am dissapointed in the direction they are going and see the possiblity of another perfect Zelda game ever being created.

Your thoughts?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jack_daniels

Damn you guys are fast, I wasn't even able to elaborate on the question haha

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Quacktastic

The WW look?  Looks great.  I thought the look of TP was really stale.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By spankingaddict

yup, i just wish they would have a real WW sequel on the wii!!!!!!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scooper
@Jack_Daniels: When I make a poll I usualy write out my post to go along with it and just copy & paste it the second I post the poll :).
jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jack_daniels
@Scooper said:
" @Jack_Daniels: When I make a poll I usualy write out my post to go along with it and just copy & paste it the second I post the poll :). "
Yeah, I should have done that.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Cerza

Well I don't really understand what you mean in regards to the direction the art has taken. I have been playing Zelda games since the first one and they have always been cartoony, yes even OoT, MM, and TP. Looking at the art for the original Zelda and the art for WW I feel that the WW art style is the most natural in terms of progression and is the best in terms of taking things back to the roots of the Zelda franchises art style. It has also stood the test of time the best when compared with the more realistic Anime style they went with for OoT, MM, and TP. WW is what six years old now? It still looks just as good today as it did when it came out. TP is two years old and looks horrendous. That game hasn't aged well at all in terms of visuals.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jack_daniels
@Cerza: I always thought that it wasn't cartoony at all on the 64... they were only limited in the amount of detail they could use by the limits of the graphics on the 64.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By zombie2011

Windwaker is the only Zelda game i've ever played and the only reason i played it was because of the art style.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By Cerza

@Jack_Daniels: Look at the ranchers on Long Long Ranch. Look at the characters in the towns. Look at their eyes, noses, shape of their heads and bodies. They are cartoons. Anyone in real life that had those proportions would be freakier than the freakiest circus freak.

siddarth0605

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By siddarth0605

I want to see Nintendo take a risk and try something new with the series rather than try the same old thing. Wind waker was a big risk for nintendo but it payed of in spades; it ended up being one of the best games on the gamecube and one of my favorite zelda games. that is also why i though that twilight princess was the most overrated zelda game made. it was nothing more than nintendo giving the stupid  fanboys what they wanted rather than trying something new and the result was a game that, although was very good, felt extremely dated and old. so i would rather see the art style go in this direction if it meant new innovative gameplay mechanics, precise controls, brilliant level design, & a powerful story, than see nintendo succumb to the whining and bitching of fanboys and giving them a game that is about as useful as a paperweight.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jack_daniels
@siddarth0605: Did you play Ocarina of Time?
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Steve_C

Wind Waker is the best Zelda has looked, but it would lose it's appeal if every game used that style. Not that I can think of one, but I'd rather Nintendo tried an entirely new style, or at least make variations on something they've already done.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Slippy

They should churn out Zelda games faster. They are not exactly groundbreaking so they really shouldn't be taking so long.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Edin899

Nintendo still makes videogames? good for those guys
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Branthog

Not as much as I like the direction the art of Dot Hero is taking.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By beargirl1
@Edin8999 said:
" Nintendo still makes videogames? good for those guys "
well, obviously. i mean, they just came out with New Super Mario Bros Wii. 
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Binman88

The style they use now on the DS is perfect for that platform. I wouldn't want that style on a console though. Not only the visual style, but the light hearted air to the DS games wouldn't fit with my idea of a perfect console Zelda game. Ocarina of Time had some very dark atmospheric moments, and I loved it for them.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By luce

Why isn't there a  "Yes and No" or "Indifferent" option?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Binman88
@luce said:
" Why isn't there a  "Yes and No" or "Indifferent" option? "
I guess the poll isn't aimed at wishy-washy Charlie Brown types.
Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Edin899
@AjayRaz said:
" @Edin8999 said:
" Nintendo still makes videogames? good for those guys "
well, obviously. i mean, they just came out with New Super Mario Bros Wii.  "

Cool , they made another Mario game ! with the same gameplay as 20 years ago! Cool for those guys for making the same game for 20 years ! Cool, was that there only game this year? Cool!
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By luce
@Binman88 said:

" @luce said:

" Why isn't there a  "Yes and No" or "Indifferent" option? "
I guess the poll isn't aimed at wishy-washy Charlie Brown types. "
Fuck this poll then!

No Caption Provided
siddarth0605

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By siddarth0605
@Jack_Daniels: absolutely and that is still my favorite and probably most influential game of all time. that was the game that prob turned me from a kid who played video games into a full fledged gamer. Don't get me wrong, I thought that twilight princess was a great game, but it felt like more of the same which again is not a bad thing. However, the games that stick out the most in my mind are games that try something new and manage to make it work. thats also why super mario galaxy is one of my favorite games of this generation b/c it took platforming and completely changed it. again based on the trailers and initial media it seemed like pure novelty and something that wasnt going to work out in the long run but once i started playing it I found myself unable to stop and was blown away at the level design and gameplay mechanics. I just hope that zelda tries to do something like that. that being said the art style is very important too b/c it is the means by which the story & emotional depth is conveyed and of all the nintendo properties zelda is the one that carries the most emotional weight. Its why people continue to debate over the timeline and memorize every single dialogue and know details about even minor characters. I for one prefer the OoT art style but at the same time the art style in Wind Waker was really good at providing a lot of emotional expression to the characters and was appropriate for the story that was being told
jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jack_daniels
@siddarth0605 said:
" @Jack_Daniels: absolutely and that is still my favorite and probably most influential game of all time. that was the game that prob turned me from a kid who played video games into a full fledged gamer. Don't get me wrong, I thought that twilight princess was a great game, but it felt like more of the same which again is not a bad thing. However, the games that stick out the most in my mind are games that try something new and manage to make it work. thats also why super mario galaxy is one of my favorite games of this generation b/c it took platforming and completely changed it. again based on the trailers and initial media it seemed like pure novelty and something that wasnt going to work out in the long run but once i started playing it I found myself unable to stop and was blown away at the level design and gameplay mechanics. I just hope that zelda tries to do something like that. that being said the art style is very important too b/c it is the means by which the story & emotional depth is conveyed and of all the nintendo properties zelda is the one that carries the most emotional weight. Its why people continue to debate over the timeline and memorize every single dialogue and know details about even minor characters. I for one prefer the OoT art style but at the same time the art style in Wind Waker was really good at providing a lot of emotional expression to the characters and was appropriate for the story that was being told "
Wow, that was a good reply. That actually answers the question I originally asked. Thanks!
Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kinarion

The decision to split the franchise into effectively two different series was, at the very least, daring.  Neither art style is, to my mind, inherently superior, but they make for different stories.  

In the Windwaker series, the player so easily falls in love with the vivid world and characters that saving the world becomes less an heroic quest and more an act of courageous charity.  The world is a bright place, full of wonder and beauty from the outset, whose problems, even when presented in dire terms, never seem like they would result in any less magnificent a world.  Rather than being driven forward by the impending apocalypse, I love this world and want to make it better for its inhabitants.

The OOT and its ilk provide a different set of rules.  We fall for the characters, but not for the same reasons.  Fair maidens like Malon, the Zora princess and forest sage steal our hearts from a young age, only to be corrupted by the world's evil.  This world has been upset tremendously, our loves damaged, and guts thoroughly wrenched by the time our quest begins in earnest.  If Windwaker tasked us with weeding a beautiful garden, then OOT and her ilk demand we restore fertility to a desert.  

For my own part, I'll always save both worlds.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By killroycantkill

I like the way the DS games look but I wish they would do something more styleized with the console games. Twilight Princess was on the right track with the whole dark world thing, more crazy stuff like that would be awesome.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CL60

I don't really think it's the new art style for Zelda games, I just think it's the art style for the DS Zelda games and WW. The new Zelda games that come out on the WII and future Nintendo consoles will probably go for more of the TP, or OoT art styles.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Red

I'm not really a fan of the Zelda series, but the art style of Wind Waker and the majority of the portable games is very, very interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I remember before it was released all the kids were bitching about the art style because they thought it might make them feel less secure about their age or some bullshit. I mean really stupid shit like "Hey this looks like a cartoon! I'm 16, dammit, I don't watch cartoons anymore! Honestly!" Wind Waker has the most style in the series, not including Twilight Princess which I haven't played so I can't judge. 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Linkyshinks

I don't understand this aversion to what you call "cartoony" in the Zelda series, the Zelda franchise has always been "cartoony" since the very start. Windwaker is easily one of the best looking Zelda games made so far, any Zelda fan will tell you a much, it's art design is exceptional, it puts cell shaded art seen elsewhere, even in this current gen, to shame. It still holds up extremely well today, it has a timeless quality and it's graphics are beautiful throughout the entire game. No Zelda fan that has played the game complains about it's graphical style, the graphics style is seen as one of it's big strengths. 

It's always wise to play a games before criticising their art style, after all, how can one possibly know the intention of a graphical style when you have no experience of what the game is trying to achieve with it.  

Windwaker's art style achieves what it sets out to do - it's easily one of the best looking Zelda's made.    

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#34  Edited By Brackynews
@Killroycantkill: Absolutely.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I never liked Toon Link. I grew up with normal adult link, I don't want him to become 6 and a cartoon.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Most of the people started the series with OoT. At the time, graphics were not really powerful enough to emphasized the art style of, say, ALttP very well. You'll note OoT is considerably more detailed than Super Mario 64. I don't think it's unreasonable that the new kids got the wrong idea, but their reaction was unreasonable. It was like they felt threatened by caricatures; like they wouldn't be "grown up" enough if they played a game like that. I don't think I should have been surprised that kids have no artistic taste, but then I was a kid myself at the time. :P

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Kazona

I hate all Zelda games, so the artwork makes no difference to me.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GunnBjorn

Spirit Tracks is just perfectly crafted and i truly hope the sequel will be on the Wii. 
I know i will have to rival with some oppugnance here.    
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Romination

I don't see what the hell a lot of posters are talking about. The games seem to have taken a very definite split by console- handheld games get the cartoonier, easier to render style while the console ones get serious to stop the fanboy bitching. I think Wind Waker is indeed sharp and timeless looking, but I like the idea of changing the visual style too. If every game tried to be Wind Waker, it would get stale. I don't know how the new one's going to look, but I still don't mind if it's realistic. I think there should be new ideas to the gameplay is all. Polygons get old fast, too, where as the cel shaded gorgeousness of Wind Waker seems pretty timeless and still unbeaten.

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By toast_burner

The cartoony art style is what i pictured the old zelda games would look like in 3d
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By DanielJW
@TheMustacheHero said:
" I never liked Toon Link. I grew up with normal adult link, I don't want him to become 6 and a cartoon. "
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Diamond

I think a cartoon style would be fine for Zelda, I just wish it looked more like the art in the Link to the Past manual, detailed yet cartoony.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Brunchies

I love the Wind Waker look, it looks great and will make a games visuals age nicely. That's one of the reasons why I want a Wind Waker 2 on the Wii.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By vaiz

Windwaker's art style allowed for the characters to be super expressive and compensated for the Gamecube's limits by making sure nothing had to be too incredibly detailed. As far as I'm concerned, it holds up and it still charms the shit out of me to this day.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By jakob187

I like the Wind Waker style more than the others...WAAAAAAY more.  The animations just look so much smoother, there's more expression in the faces, and yeah...the storybook look is really nice.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Linkyshinks

I want a sequel to Windwaker also, but I want it on Nintendo's next console, not on Wii. I want the graphics designed for HD, unlike this: 

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By iamjohn

I don't see how you can say that the games are becoming more and more cartoony just because of how the games look.  Truth be told, I think the art style is absolutely gorgeous, but it's not like the games have become more "kiddie" to accommodate said style.  I mean, Wind Waker still ends with Link stabbing a melancholy, conflicted Ganondorf in the mothereffin' face, and Spirit Tracks still begins with Zelda getting murdered and turned into a spirit. 

The Wind Waker games are pretty true to the spirit of Ocarina and Link to the Past, honestly: bright, colorful games (taken to the Nth degree) with a bit of a dark, chaotic edge to them.  If anything, I'd say that Twilight Princess was the anomaly, being the darkest the series has been since Majora's Mask (but nowhere near that messed up or morally twisted).

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By iamjohn
@crusnchill said:
"

Zelda is poo, so I don't care either way. Sorry...

"
Why even bother contributing if you don't care?
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#49  Edited By Symphony

I don't like the look of Animal Crossing and the Wind Waker-type Zelda games have looked just like that to me.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Skald

No.