Do you think there is a certain age to Stop gaming?

• 157 results
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By FacelessVixen

Not a chance. At least, if my work will allow me to play games that is...

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By sjupp

Definititely not. As plenty others have said; Stick to whatever you like for as long as you like it.
And if for no other reason: More mature players = ... multiplayer, anyone?

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Ineedaname
@marioncobretti said:

" The older I get the more I enjoy videogames, my stepdad is in his late forties and still likes to keep up with all the new releases even If he isn't very good at them and has a good job and a family so I don't see why age has any impact on whether you should be playing videogames or not.  "

I agree with this. My enjoyment has increased as I've gotten older, I appreciate games alot more now, I also appreciate the effort that goes into and things along those lines.

It used to be a mindless thing, skip stories and what not, but now I pay attention, I think part of that has come from online communities such as these.
Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Dark_Jon

NEVER.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By Mrskidders

26 now with a great job, great girlfriend and partying plenty.  I still get my daily dose of gaming in.

Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Lestater

My grandfather is 76 and loves playing games like Oblivion and Fallout 3 on his computer so I don't really think there is a certain age that you have to stop playing.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#107  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'll think about it when I turn 90-95. Somewhere in there.

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#108  Edited By MisterMollusk

Video games aren't going anywhere. Stick to your responsibilities for now. The games will be waiting when you return.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By JokerSmilez

I'm 26 and still game a fair amount. Not as much as when I was younger obviously, but that doesn't mean I have to stop. I probably get in about 6-12 hours a week, depending on the week.

I have a friend who's 27 and is big into WoW (one of, if not the best Hoard priest on the Ysera server). He has his MBA, a full-time job, a girlfriend, goes out with friends, has a social life, etc. but still finds the time to make just about every raid night and play about 4-6 hours a day. Granted, he may only sleep 3-4 hours a night, but...

The point is, if you love something, be it a hobby, a sport, whatever, you'll find the time for it. Gaming doesn't have to be a distraction from "real" life, it can be a part of your life in a big or small way - whatever you want.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#110  Edited By Phished0ne

I think there isnt an age, but a period in life when someone needs to at least cut back. undoubtedly once someone "grows up" and becomes a full fledged, full-time working adult with a kid, they probably are at the age where they will cut back because of time constraints. But like someone else said, its all about balance, making sure you aren't neglecting more important things in life because your playing too much...no one wants to be that guy.

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#111  Edited By Yit

The age where I die.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#112  Edited By mracoon

Nobody says is there an age where you should stop watching movies, reading books, listening to music etc. So I don't know why when it comes to games that it's different from any other form of entertainment or relaxation. If you're enjoying it why would stop?

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Virago

According to Heinous Bitch (alias Caroline Overinton), there is NO age for gaming.
I don't think it has anything to do with age. It's all about where your priorities are and what makes you happy. An age for gaming is just a result of social pressures..

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@oldschool: Man, oldschool... sometimes you're just too cool.

Personally, though, I don't imagine that I'll play games for all that much longer. There has already been a few times that I've seriously considered stopping.
Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
@MisterMollusk said:

"Video games aren't going anywhere. Stick to your responsibilities for now. The games will be waiting when you return. "

This right here. I've recently hd to focus on my studies so I can even hope to get some sort of Engineering degree, so I've calmed down my gameplaying (minus half-an-hour or so of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 sometimes), and I just bought Persona 4 because my studies are cooling down, and I'll have some time to try and run this monster.  

Pro-tip: Thinking about long-ass JRPG's while staring down some mad Calculus problems is not smart.
Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Sil3n7

I don't even understand why you are asking this... Would you stop reading books or listening to music? What about watching movies? Why do people STILL think of video games as a waste of time... It's really starting to bore me...

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#117  Edited By RandomHero666

I'm about a month younger than you, i don't plan on giving up gaming til my fingers are fucked with arthritis, by then we probably wont even need fingers.
My Brother is 32 with a wife & kid and he plays games.
My Mother is 54 and she has a fucking DS.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Metroid545

no

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By pause422
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" No. To think otherwise is ridiculous. "
Exactly this. If I somehow one day in old age, just don't find it entertaining anymore at all, thats another story. Just like anything that would no longer be fun. In general though, just because of a certain age stopping something, is utterly dumb.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#120  Edited By c_rakestraw

No, why would there be?

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By animateria

Yes, when you are dead.

Though I suppose it's not your choice in that case.

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By K0rN

I will NEVER stop gaming.
Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#123  Edited By Radar

No.... it's just entertainment, like watching a movie or listening to music to me. I'm not cosplaying with my Star Wars action figures in my mothers basement..
Taking an extended break? Sure... I go through phases

taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By taccyp

Fuck what other people think of you. Game until you die, as long as you're still having fun.

Maclintok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#125  Edited By Maclintok

In the retirement home, they had better have a fully-equipped gaming room.   

Scratch that, I'm requesting a gaming rig in my bedroom.  To hell with bingo nights.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#126  Edited By breadfan

I don't think I will ever stop playing games outright, but as I grow older I expect to have less time to invest in them.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Aetos

Don't think I will ever give them up.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#128  Edited By oldschool
@TheGreatGuero said:
" @oldschool: Man, oldschool... sometimes you're just too cool.  Personally, though, I don't imagine that I'll play games for all that much longer. There has already been a few times that I've seriously considered stopping. "
If I were your dad, I would be looking at you shocked and screaming, "a dagger, a dagger to my heart".  Then I would ship you off to game camp and you wouldn't leave until you were cured  :-)
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By MrKlorox

Nope. I will game until I am no longer able to. When my hands quit working, I'll find some other interface.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Godwind

The problem is college, well not so much as college but being the status of a college student.  Video games give a sense of conflict with your time.  In addition, you probably have to go to work and few other things.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@oldschool said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" @oldschool: Man, oldschool... sometimes you're just too cool.  Personally, though, I don't imagine that I'll play games for all that much longer. There has already been a few times that I've seriously considered stopping. "
If I were your dad, I would be looking at you shocked and screaming, "a dagger, a dagger to my heart".  Then I would ship you off to game camp and you wouldn't leave until you were cured  :-) "
Heh. If it's any consolation, I'm studying to be a game designer. Though as I get older, I find that games are detracting from my goals and personal life. Maybe that's pretty whack, and I mean no offense by it, but I often feel like I'm wasting my life away. It's something I've kind of been struggling with over the last couple years. A few months ago, I was pretty set on ending it all cold turkey, but it seems that won't happen until I actually get a social life and find something more useful to do with my time. Don't get me wrong, I love games, but personally I think 20 years with them might be long enough. Honestly, I only intend to spent about 10-15 years working as a game designer before moving onto other things.
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Coombs

So long as it doesn't interfere with the things going on in your "real life" then is is no problem.
I know I have had periods where I have had to dramatically slow my gaming, Almost to a full stop, But I have always come back to it because it's something I truly enjoy.  I am a gamer at heart, And my age has nothing to do with that.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By bhhawks78
@CornontheCobbe said:
" I have been thinking deeply about my life lately, and where i want to go with it. I'm 20 right now, will be 21 in a few weeks, and i have some more years of college to complete. I've been wondering if Gaming is hindering my abilities to do some things. I know that some people think that gaming is only for kids, but lets be honest, it's awesome and it's for every age group it may seem. We can see this with the Wii especially.  But I want to move on steadily with my life, and have even thought deeply about life-changing stuff like getting married, getting my own place, having kids and all that crap :P But i love my gaming.So do you think that there is a certain age to stop gaming at? Mid 30's? Late 20's maybe? An age where you may feel that gaming is no longer accepted?  I think i might stop when I'm in my mid-20's. Is this a foolish idea, or do you think that is acceptable? I'd like some insight from the older generation of gamers here at GiantBomb. I guess i have just came to a point of realisation of real life. "
Only if you think at that same age you shouldn't watch movies, listen to music, or watch any tv besides the weather/news.
Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Arjuna

1)  I don't think any of the editors for this website are younger than 30 

2)  I am 30 

and 3)  Is there an age too old to be watching movies? 

The only reason that it seems that older people don't play video games, is because video games have only recently become mainstream popular.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By oldschool
@TheGreatGuero said:
" @oldschool said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
If I were your dad, I would be looking at you shocked and screaming, "a dagger, a dagger to my heart".  Then I would ship you off to game camp and you wouldn't leave until you were cured  :-) "
Heh. If it's any consolation, I'm studying to be a game designer. Though as I get older, I find that games are detracting from my goals and personal life. Maybe that's pretty whack, and I mean no offense by it, but I often feel like I'm wasting my life away. It's something I've kind of been struggling with over the last couple years. A few months ago, I was pretty set on ending it all cold turkey, but it seems that won't happen until I actually get a social life and find something more useful to do with my time. Don't get me wrong, I love games, but personally I think 20 years with them might be long enough. Honestly, I only intend to spent about 10-15 years working as a game designer before moving onto other things. "
You pretty much sum up what you need to do - find a balance.  I never let playing games distract me from doing stuff I enjoy and need to do, except that darn Civ IV game, keeping me up all night.  I think not playing online (because I don't care to) helps as I play mostly single player when I am alone and multiplayer with the kids.  I have never been tempted to play an MMORPG.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I probably should have asked, have you ever considered stopping gaming for some reason(s)? Money shortage, family problems, world crisis, etc.

Although that might not make sense either, and i don't want everyone to have to reveal anything about their private lives. We'll leave it at that.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By oldschool
@CornontheCobbe said:

" I probably should have asked, have you ever considered stopping gaming for some reason(s)? Money shortage, family problems, world crisis, etc.  Although that might not make sense either, and i don't want everyone to have to reveal anything about their private lives. We'll leave it at that. "

Gaming is the answer to all your problems.  I am serious.  It can be a very cheap hobby when games on clearance for a very low price is an option, as is many used and very cheap games.  It is only expensive if you make it so.  That covers money.  As for personal problems, it can be an escape and a form of mental release and I believe quite therapeutic.  You can play a game to suit you mood or even alter it.  I don't see any problem so large that games can't be of some benefit.
DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By DeShawn2ks

Hell no, I am going to play until I can't play no more.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@oldschool said:

" @CornontheCobbe said:

" I probably should have asked, have you ever considered stopping gaming for some reason(s)? Money shortage, family problems, world crisis, etc.  Although that might not make sense either, and i don't want everyone to have to reveal anything about their private lives. We'll leave it at that. "
Gaming is the answer to all your problems.  I am serious.  It can be a very cheap hobby when games on clearance for a very low price is an option, as is many used and very cheap games.  It is only expensive if you make it so.  That covers money.  As for personal problems, it can be an escape and a form of mental release and I believe quite therapeutic.  You can play a game to suit you mood or even alter it.  I don't any problem can be so large that games can be of some benefit. "
Thanks for the insight Oldschool. 

I can always count on you. You sound like you'd be an awesome dad! I wish my dad was into games so he could play with me. XD
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#140  Edited By grilledcheez

NO, I will never stop! (Of course I'm saying this now and have no idea what my thoughts will be in the distant future)

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By oldschool
@CornontheCobbe said:
" @oldschool said:

" @CornontheCobbe said:

Gaming is the answer to all your problems.  I am serious.  It can be a very cheap hobby when games on clearance for a very low price is an option, as is many used and very cheap games.  It is only expensive if you make it so.  That covers money.  As for personal problems, it can be an escape and a form of mental release and I believe quite therapeutic.  You can play a game to suit you mood or even alter it.  I don't any problem can be so large that games can be of some benefit. "
Thanks for the insight Oldschool.   I can always count on you. You sound like you'd be an awesome dad! I wish my dad was into games so he could play with me. XD "
Aaarghhh, proof your work man!  My last sentence made no sense.  It should be: 

I don't see any problem so large that games can't be of some benefit. 

Thanks for the kind words as well.  Don't assume he can't be though.  I think at times we assume too much about those close to us (especially parents).  I think if we tried harder to get them into what we like, by being honest with our thoughts (like saying that it is about just having fun together and you really want to share the experience) then they may be more open to the idea than we assume.  It goes both ways though.  Just think how important it would be to them if we did something with them that they love, even if it isn't what we would normally do?  For me, that would be line dancing with my mother to country and western music - I am not sure I could ever or want to bond that much  :-)
deadpoool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By deadpoool
@CornontheCobbe: No....wow, thats a horrible thought!
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@deadpoool: It is i know i know.

I kind of regret making this thread now, because everyone thinks i hate gaming now >_<
Avatar image for killer_meatballs
killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

36,  and play more than ever.  But, like others have said, sometimes it's hard to find the time, but damn it,  I need to play!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By CL60

When you die.

NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#146  Edited By NateDogg

There is no certain age where one stops gaming. 

You stop gaming when you are tired/bored of it. 

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By haggis

Uh ... no. As you get older and have other, more important commitments, you'll probably find you have less time for gaming. That'll make you a little more picky about which games you pick up to play. On this, everyone is different. But the average age for a gamer today is 34 or so. So as far as gamers are concerned, you're still a youngin'. Every gamer has to find a way to balance gaming with the rest of their commitments, and some gamers obviously fail at this. But it's the same with every passtime. I knew a guy who was obsessed with fantasy football. He had to cut back.

Find a balance. Games these days are often created with adults in mind, especially on the 360 and PS3. Hence all the M-rated games. Age has nothing to do with it. Just as there's no maximum age to watch movies, there's no maximum age to play video games. There's still a mindset that videogames are for kids, but that paradigm has long been broken. Games are entertainment, period.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#148  Edited By jacksukeru
@OllyOxenFree said:
" We are going to be old people playing games with our children and grandkids.  Shit's gonna be awesome. "
Hell yeah! the homophobic 12-year olds on Xbox Live will be outpopulated by a swarm of "Get off my lawn!" types :D
Bearded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Bearded
@CornontheCobbe:  FOOLISH idea, just cut down the amount you play
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By ArchScabby

Yes, it' 28 years 3 months 3 weeks 6 days 13 hours and 22 minutes.