• 107 results
#1 Edited by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

...poor. What a shock! And THIS is why I refused to back it. I'm not sure what people thought this was going to be but a cool console it was not. The IDEA behind a publicly funded, $99 open sourced console was interesting. Not the actual thing. It's only early days and they did say this is a long term project so I won't write it off instantly but will kickstarter funders? Will gamers? They aren't known to be a patient bunch.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/4/4180242/ouya-review

The Verge - 3.5/10

Ouya isn't a viable gaming platform, or a good console, or even a nice TV interface. I don't know what it is, but until Ouya figures it out, it's not worth $99.

Engadget -

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/03/ouya-review-founding-backer-edition/

So, is the OUYA a revolution in console gaming? No, it isn't -- not yet. But it's early days still. As of this writing there are roughly two months until the system launches at retail -- time enough, we hope, to flesh out the interface, fix the controller and maybe, just maybe, line up a few new games worth getting really excited about. We'll be back with a full review of that version when it ships.

#2 Edited by mellotronrules (1171 posts) -

so i've only had a look at the verge review, but that's a pretty rough assessment. if ouya's more interested in getting the thing out the door than producing a fully fleshed-out experience- they're going to be working from a 'coming-from-behind' vantage point. and as a new player attempting to bridge two highly competitive markets (console and mobile games), i don't see them coming out alive unless they can iterate and improve at a lightning pace. as soon as the new microsoft, sony, and apple products come to market...cue the street fighter 4, "K...O...!!!"

#3 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

lol

#4 Edited by Brodehouse (9519 posts) -

Wait people are reviewing consoles now? What does the PC get? A 10?

#5 Posted by Veektarius (4540 posts) -

@brodehouse: I see what you did there, but it's pretty easy to find PC reviews on the net.

#6 Posted by expensiveham (289 posts) -

I could have told you this a year ago

#7 Edited by Brodehouse (9519 posts) -

The Verge reviews PCs, though? And more importantly, assigns scores to them? Do they have scores for the Vita? Will there be scores for the PS4 and Microsoft Thing?

#8 Edited by Pr1mus (3778 posts) -

3.5 is not bad for garbage.

Well, it's not really garbage, it's just completely unnecessary.

#9 Edited by mellotronrules (1171 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

The Verge reviews PCs, though? And more importantly, assigns scores to them? Do they have scores for the Vita? Will there be scores for the PS4 and Microsoft Thing?

i mean if we're getting into semantics, they review laptops on the reg. i think their interest in this though is primarily from it's cultural cache- it's a high profile kickstarter project (much like that pebble watch) that has deep roots in the mobile market.

#10 Edited by seraph973 (27 posts) -

i just need a movie player app like xbmc and a dlna player and it will be well worth the $99 already... and i need for it to arrive any time now....

#11 Edited by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

Yes. Vita got an 8.5. WiiU got a 7.

#12 Edited by Wraxend (550 posts) -

But they've got the exclusive television version of FF3!

#13 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -

"The A button is where B should be, and O is where A typically is"

Sure, unless you've ever used a Nintendo system. The A button is in the same location as on Nintendo consoles and handhelds. I'm not going to defend the rest of the buttons or the use of A to go back, but A's placement isn't that offensive.

#15 Edited by MEATBALL (3017 posts) -

Hahahahaha. About what I expected, really. Ultimately it doesn't matter, it seems to me the majority of people excited about Ouya were excited about playing ROMs on their TV and I'm sure it'll serve that purpose well.

#16 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

@meatball said:

Hahahahaha. About what I expected, really. Ultimately it doesn't matter, it seems to me the majority of people excited about Ouya were excited about playing ROMs on their TV.

Which you can do anyway.

#17 Posted by Marcsman (3094 posts) -

No shocker. Bet they don't even make it until next year.

#18 Posted by davo (141 posts) -

Not at all surprised, and anyone expecting a miracle console at such a price will surely be disappointed.

#19 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

I don't know. That's kind of what I expected. I think we all knew it wasn't going to be some life changing device. It's just a skinned android console. Who's really shocked that the premise is as exciting as the execution?

#20 Posted by ReCkLeSs_X (457 posts) -

REALLY glad I lowered my $100 kickstarter money to $1.

#21 Posted by Bollard (5202 posts) -
#22 Edited by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -
@meatball said:

Hahahahaha. About what I expected, really. Ultimately it doesn't matter, it seems to me the majority of people excited about Ouya were excited about playing ROMs on their TV and I'm sure it'll serve that purpose well.

According to The Verge, finding ROMs on the Internet is too hard. Waaah.

I'm reading through it now and some of the points being brought up in that review are just stupid.

@jams said:

I don't know. That's kind of what I expected. I think we all knew it wasn't going to be some life changing device. It's just a skinned android console. Who's really shocked that the premise is as exciting as the execution?

It's not even fully skinned. The Settings app is straight-up Android. I thought they'd fix that before release.

#23 Posted by Brodehouse (9519 posts) -

@Metal_Mills That's hysterical. Are they also the guys who have the 'we'll go back and edit review scores depending on how the life of the product goes' policy? Or is that Polygon?

#24 Edited by chilibean_3 (1611 posts) -

How...expected.

#25 Edited by TheHBK (5458 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

Mine does, yours gets a 6.

In other news, at least they got it out. Remember the Indrema and Phantom consoles, so good on em for actually getting something out. But as they stated in the podcast this week, developers want to know how they can make money on a console. That dictates how much work they will put into it. And from what the guys were discussing, it just is not appealing.

#26 Edited by believer258 (11563 posts) -

I don't think that anyone except the developers ever thought this was going to be anything other than an emulator box and a toy to tinker around with.

Honestly, this would probably only be good for those people - but they already have things that can do that. Hell, I have a modified original Xbox that works great as a combination NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, N64, etc., plus some other things, and if that fails I've got a PC that does those things and more.

#27 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

holy shit it made 8 million dollars?

#28 Edited by MikkaQ (10263 posts) -

I expected this, any promise the Ouya has is in either it's future or the future consoles it inspires. It certainly isn't in the console itself.

#29 Posted by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -

Well duh.

#30 Edited by aurahack (2264 posts) -

I can't wait for it to be the world's most manufactured piracy/emulation box in... I don't know. Eight months? Six? Can we get a pool going?

#31 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

@aurahack said:

I can't wait for it to be the world's most manufactured piracy/emulation box in... I don't know. Eight months? Six? Can we get a pool going?

Put me down for 10 months.

#32 Posted by Bocam (3668 posts) -

Is emulation actually good on Android?

#33 Edited by Snail (8574 posts) -

The fact that it doesn't have a whole lot of games getting excited about has been evident for a while now, and it doesn't seem to be getting any other ones as it nears launch. The part about the controller and the interface sucking is new though, and a shame I guess.

I never much cared about this console anyway. The homebrew "scene" around this console might still turn out to be something interesting though.

#34 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Dat piracy.

#35 Posted by tourgen (4426 posts) -

lol

android gaming. aka crappy emulators and laggy game loops

#36 Edited by Boiglenoight (529 posts) -

Not sure what I expected, but like everyone else, not surprised. How can anyone be? Consoles are expensive to produce as well as support. This is kind of like a really crappy computer running Android. Plus, if you want to play Android games on the big screen, I imagine some things can be enjoyed by using a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable. Maybe it will take off as an emulation system. Maybe North Korea will buy the entire production and cluster Ouyas together to create their version of a super computer.

#37 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@tourgen said:

lol

android gaming. aka crappy emulators and laggy game loops

There are many emulators that work very smoothly on my phone.

But then again, my phone is more powerful than this POS.

Seriously who didn't see this coming? I can't believe people were arguing against me when I said it would be worthless in the announcement thread.

#38 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

@Metal_Mills That's hysterical. Are they also the guys who have the 'we'll go back and edit review scores depending on how the life of the product goes' policy? Or is that Polygon?

What's wrong with reviewing hardware? People review graphics cards, monitors, keyboards. Why not a console? And that's polygon you're thinking of.

#39 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

Huh, reviews?! I'm confused.

#40 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

negative 5 out of 10.

#41 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

It will get better, and probably find it's own little niche that keeps it afloat like OnLive did. If it has good emulators and solid streaming capabilities this would be a great alternative to a Roku.

#42 Edited by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

"Worst of all, it makes buying things impossibly easy — you enter a credit card when first setting up your Ouya, and there are often no confirmation boxes or checks against you spending thousands of dollars. Oh, you hit Upgrade because it's right next to Play and the controller's laggy? Perfect. Thanks for your money."

This part in particular sounds nuts. Judging by the comments there are a lot of coders murmuring about how the way it works makes it uniquely ripe for exploitation.

#43 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

Is it really fair to judge it before anyone has had a chance to develop games for it? Everything on it at the moment are Android games updated to use the controller instead of a touch interface.

I'm not expecting it to be a particularly appealing console, but outright dismissing it at this early stage is pretty dumb.

#44 Edited by Scroll (593 posts) -

Maybe this will stop morons asking for every kickstarter game to be ported to Ouya.

#45 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1502 posts) -

I remember being skeptical of this when it was first pushed on Kickstarter, and being told by various defenders that it would turn out great and I was just scared of some real, "open" competition to the big guys. I hate to be Mr. "I told you so", but there were just too many factors stacked up against this thing's success. I'm frankly kind of impressed at how well it turned out, and I don't mean that in a condescending way. Shipping a stand-alone piece of hardware is tough enough without also having to support it as a software platform. They did, to their credit, ship a product that mostly delivers on what they promised (aside from, of course, the way the implied stuff like Minecraft and Madden would be on it).

@meatball said:

According to The Verge, finding ROMs on the Internet is too hard. Waaah.

Illegality aside, the reports of significant input lag (and generally questionable controller quality) kind of puts a damper on that.

#46 Posted by mellotronrules (1171 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

I'm not expecting it to be a particularly appealing console, but outright dismissing it at this early stage is pretty dumb.

yeah- it's silly to write it off. but one can certainly hedge one's bets and wait to see how it fairs down the line. although i'm afraid we might have a doozy of a catch-22 on our hands (devs won't develop without a substantial installed base, and an installed base won't come without substantial devs).

#47 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Well, what did you expect? It's an Android phone without the phone part masquerading as a console.

#48 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

Is it really fair to judge it before anyone has had a chance to develop games for it? Everything on it at the moment are Android games updated to use the controller instead of a touch interface.

I agree, very few consoles are even worth owning within their first year.

#49 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

Reviews are for the time being, they both say as it is RIGHT NOW is not worth it. They do mention the future potential for Ouya, but as a costumer why would you buy a product based on "potential" ?

Just wait and see if that potential is actually reach.

#50 Edited by Sparklykiss (1935 posts) -

@donpixel said:

@mattyftm said:

Reviews are for the time being, they both say as it is RIGHT NOW is not worth it. They do mention the future potential but as a costumer why would you buy a product based on "potential" ?

I tend to purchase things and look forward to their potential and how they'll fit in with my lifestyle. It's the only reason why I really have a 3DS, Roku, and a few other things. I'm not going to write the Ouya off yet.