Giantbomb Community 2014 GOTY List Voting

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

OK! My list is all done! First time I've done an official list, I had a lot of fun with this.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

@thiago123: Wow that was nice of you. Is it a contest between man slowly walking toward fog vs man slowly walking away from fog?

Pretty much, although walking towards the fog (traversing it, if you will?) seems to be a more popular thing to do. Walking away from fog is also very popular, but faces some competition from man holding gun.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I'm looking forward to seeing the RAW data

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#155  Edited By 49th

Please read my list I spent time writing it. There are only 7 games on it. I've been doing these for 5 years. CAW CAW

EDIT: Hey, @thatfrood the list editor screwed up my list so I had to submit a new one to your google doc, can you remove the old one please? Thanks.

utternyms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@49th: You're wrong about Shadow of Mordor! You're just wrong! *cries*

No, but really. It's a good game. And it does get better as you unlock more of the features.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

@49th: sure I will do that, what happened? You couldn't edit the older list?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freddiefiasco: I don't think it's terrible, it's just that what I have played so far hasn't been as amazing as reviews made it sound. I will keep playing so hopefully it does get better.

@thatfrood: I edited the list to add more games but it made duplicates instead and kept switching between the old version and the new version, so I just made a new one. Seems like there are lots of weird bugs like that at the moment.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

By the way: Is entering your list here what's creating all those weird empty "Game of the Year 2014 Users Choice" lists or is that some unrelated bug? Am I missing something?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@sessh said:

By the way: Is entering your list here what's creating all those weird empty "Game of the Year 2014 Users Choice" lists or is that some unrelated bug? Am I missing something?

Looks like spam...

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: That's what I thought at first too, especially since the lists seemed to appear only with new users (=spam bots), but now I have one of those on my profile (which can't be deleted or messed with in any way) and from looking through the people posting in this thread, everyone here seems to have them (including you, by the way.)

I thought I'd first ask here if this might be related before posting in bug reporting.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh said:

everyone here seems to have them (including you, by the way.)

Okay, now that is weird. I hadn't even noticed that...

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh said:

everyone here seems to have them (including you, by the way.)

Okay, now that is weird. I hadn't even noticed that...

Yeah, I know.

So my theory is that maybe the script @thatfrood wrote to extract data from our lists led to the creating of this lists by somehow breaking something on the site. I don't know if that's actually feasible, though.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it possible that it has something to do with this?

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh said:

I have no idea what that is, it is definitely not my script. I'd have to, like, gain unauthorized access to your profile to do that. I'm just as curious as you are about what it is.

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@thatfrood said:

@sessh said:

I have no idea what that is, it is definitely not my script. I'd have to, like, gain unauthorized access to your profile to do that. I'm just as curious as you are about what it is.

On UPF I think Jeff mentioned something about having a user GOTY as well. I thought he was referring to this thread but maybe they plan to do something on their own and that's creating the list? Didn't they do something like that in 2010?

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatfrood said:

@sessh said:

On UPF I think Jeff mentioned something about having a user GOTY as well. I thought he was referring to this thread but maybe they plan to do something on their own and that's creating the list? Didn't they do something like that in 2010?

Oh. Yes, they did do something like that in 2010, that's why I started doing this, actually, because then they stopped doing it the next year.

We'll see I guess. If that's what's going on then I'm not sure what to do with this, we'll likely defer to the GB one and people will have to re-enter their stuff into the GB list.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Made a list and I checked it twice (literally, the site ate my first one)

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatfrood: This is the true community 2014 goty list voting collection thread in my book. I already entered mine.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#171  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@ghostiet: I forgot about Abyss Odyssey, pretty good game, a bit on the easy side even with nightmare (?) mode.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#172 fisk0  Moderator

I'm also confused by the User's choice thing. I guess I'll just copy the contents of my other list into that in case they staff will use that for something.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

Well, here's my list. 1-10 are the ones I would count only; the other ones I just played this year.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Is it possible that it has something to do with this?

I believe so. Before I even started creating my list for this thread, I already had that phantom list in my list of Lists, and I did submit some games for What Did We Miss? whenever they posted about it.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatfrood: This is the true community 2014 goty list voting collection thread in my book. I already entered mine.

Haha thanks man. I would hope they would at least message me in case that was happening.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

I'm still struggling. Do I include Spelunky? It's probably the best game I've played, it released on PS4 this year and I got into this year. However I got into the game on the PC version, which I bought last year, and played a small amount last year. i'm conflicted. Also, a friend just got a PS4 and we spent all of yesterday playing Destiny together and it was incredible, probably my second best gaming experience of this year. So I don't know anymore!

Nevski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My List has been uploaded. Felt like a weak year, list was much easier to put together than previous years but it wasn't all doom and gloom - looking forward to 2015

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@mclargepants: Regarding the second case: I'd definitely include games you don't own because you only played with friends but still consider to be amongst your greatest gaming experiences that year. I put Mortal Kombat and Amnesia on my GOTY lists in recent years when I was in the same situation (MK didn't even have a PC version then).

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Vexxan

How to deal with Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS being the same entry in the wiki? I think they are different enough to have different spots (at least on my list).

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'll be honest, one of my ten games wasn't even from this century. My votes are in there regardless.

darthslughorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Finally got it down to 10. Some surprising omissions this year, can't wait to see what the staff and guest top ten lists are. Hopefully they don't include too many games not in 2014, that isn't as fun.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

Here's the 10, still need to do the write ups and Dragon Age still has a chance to move up.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatfrood: I haven't made one yet, but would you consider Soul Sacrifice Delta a new game? It was released in 2014 but is just the core game with some added content (it's really hot content though!)

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

My list is finally a thing, probably going to be the same games as a lot of folk but in a very different order, click here if you are curious

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@civid said:

@thatfrood: I haven't made one yet, but would you consider Soul Sacrifice Delta a new game? It was released in 2014 but is just the core game with some added content (it's really hot content though!)

You're golden.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#188  Edited By MudMan

Gotcha

And here's a bunch of games that actively didn't make it for me in a bizarro GOTY list as well. I do it every year and it's cathartic as hell.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By emfromthesea

Here's my list.

And my blog which I will shamelessly promote.

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By benjo_t

Here it is, the definitive list of the best games of 2014. I wrote my reasoning alongside each one so there's actually something worth clicking through to.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Here's my list: Click Here

Had to think of what games to add, since 2014 was a pretty bad year for video games big releases overall.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By golguin

It seems I only played 10 games this year with one of them being quite old (To the Moon) and another was just a demo (P.T. should be considered a full game). Looking at my list it seems that I favored story over gameplay, but Dark Souls 2 still reigns triumphant. The Dark Souls 2 vanilla game is great, but the Lost Crowns DLC trilogy brings it up there with the original Dark Souls. In any case here is my list.

1. Dark Souls II

2. Dragon Age: Inquisition

3. The Wolf Among Us

4. The Walking Dead: Season Two

5. South Park: The Stick of Truth

6. Persona 4: Arena Ultimax

7. Broken Age

8. To the Moon

9. Silent Hills (This is for P.T. as it doesn't appear to be in the system.)

10. Destiny

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I actually had to look up 2014's release schedule to remind myself what came out this year. That's not a great sign, right?

Anyway, here's my list

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#194  Edited By mike

Well...I started Dragon Age today and hope to finish it by the time our lists are due. Based on what I've seen over the first few hours, I am probably going to have to rethink my top three and definitely will be bumping Ethan Carter off of the list completely.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By BeachThunder

@mb: That's okay, Ethan Carter is pretty good, but that mine section was a weird misstep. I was blown away by the game at the very start, but then it became a game that I gradually disliked more and more as I played it :| It's also just slightly outside my top ten. And it will be pushed even further once I finish Talos Principle.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going by the GB stream today: that "Game of The Year 2014 Users Choice" thing is from the site giving it to all users as a pre-made list. If we complete that (10 nominations in order) then it will automatically be used by the staff in some collation early next year.

Since this is independent of the Community one (i.e. here) can I just fill in that list and then use that link the google doc here (it has a link unique in the same way any list from a specific user will be)?

happymeowmeow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By happymeowmeow

Here's my list! As happens every year, heres also a list of 2014 games I'd still like to play.

Thinking about end of year lists, I also made a list today of my favorite animation this year on the blog thingey.

Oh I forgot to mention it was cool seeing other people put Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall-Directors Cut on their lists.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd said:

Going by the GB stream today: that "Game of The Year 2014 Users Choice" thing is from the site giving it to all users as a pre-made list. If we complete that (10 nominations in order) then it will automatically be used by the staff in some collation early next year.

Since this is independent of the Community one (i.e. here) can I just fill in that list and then use that link the google doc here (it has a link unique in the same way any list from a specific user will be)?

Giantbomb is doing their own users choice thing? Man.

Yeah, what you're suggesting will work.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

criacow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally sat down and wrote mine: http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/criacow/lists/game-of-the-year-2014-users-choice/138886/

That's my second year participating in this. Always a fun exercise. What a weird year for games, though,