• 186 results
RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#101  Edited By RagingLion

I was genuinely anticipating Giant Bomb proper doing the list thing this year again in advance and thinking about what list would end up looking like. As it happens I really haven't played many games this year (at least that were released this year). Have a new PC now though so that will probably increase. I fully suspect many games like Bastion and LA Noire would rank on here highly if I'd got round to playing them yet but still have a backlog of games to work through.

GOTY 2011

1. Portal 2
2. Limbo

Only released on PC this year.

3. SpaceChem

An amazing game - maybe should even be 2nd

4. Don't Take It Personally, Babe, It Just Ain't Your Story
5. Inside a Star-filled Sky
6. Cargo! The Quest for Gravity

Only played 6 games released this year this year.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#102  Edited By Superkenon

Haha. I already made my list, so it doesn't have the right name. Oh well... here it is anyway.

I guess I'll play too!

There's some notable holes in this list, to be sure. I'm confident that Saints Row: The Third would be in the list if I had gotten a chance to acquire it this year. I actually got as far as buying Bastion, but my computer is so ancient that it couldn't even run it. Arkham City is something that would most likely have fit into my top ten as well, but I never got to that either. In fact, I haven't even played Arkham Asylum. Haha. Oh well. Hopefully I'll play them next year.

Anyway, since it makes no sense to speculate on games I never played... here's the Top 10 of the games Idid play this year:

1. Terraria

Possibly second only to Disgaea 4, Terraria is the game I put the most hours into this year. An open-ended sandbox game that allows you to play however and build whatever you want is enough for me, but it's also got enough goals and objectives to shoot for to prevent me from becoming totally aimless. This game's totally a game, you guys. Plus it's well supported by the developers, with new content emerging regularly to keep me coming back for more. I've got no problem calling this my #1 game for the year.

2. Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten

This game is thick. It's a surprising thing when describing an SRPG, but there's so many ways to play and challenges to tackle that I had no problem clocking over 100 hours on this beast, and I still felt like I've left so much undone. You don't have to be any higher than level 70 to complete the game, but the level cap is 9999. The post-game content stretches on so far that there's plenty of reason to go that high... and yet still find ridiculous challenges. I'm not done here yet.

3. LittleBigPlanet 2

So, clearly I tend to favor games with infinite replay value. The original LBP had that covered, but this year's sequel manages to improve the already-robust level creator by an outstanding measurement. Even without the amazing community element, the main scenario alone was worth the price of admission.

4. Portal 2

At this point, I think everyone knows about Portal 2 and how unrepentantly good it is. From core gameplay mechanics, to setting, to story, and heck, even a really great co-op mode why not. Oh, you're giving us a map maker too? Okay. Great.

5. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Even though Ghost Trick's story wrapped itself up in an extremely satisfying manner, my first thought was of how much I wanted to see a sequel. I really hope this is the beginning of a new series. I want to see more done with the gameplay they introduced here. Not to say this game fell short by any means, of course. I just want more. MORE I SAY!

6. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

I'm a fanboy and I know it. My love for the Zelda series is deep and shameless. I can't seem to articulate what it is exactly that makes me enjoy these games so damn much, but... well, does it matter? I loved it. The addition of the MotionPlus swordplay was a surprising success, giving this game a unique and engaging combat system that held my fancy even through the 40+ hour slog that made up the adventure. The rest? Zelda-ass Zelda™, and I couldn't be happier with it.

7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I feel like it shouldn't be so low on the list considering how much fun I've had in Skyrim... but I suppose that speaks to the sentiment so many have shared. Skyrim is an amazing game that's consistently fun, but hasn't many strong highs to speak of. Still, you can't fault a game for such a sheer volume of "merely enjoyable" quests and experiences. I'll be playing this for awhile.

8. Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy

I'm a sucker for anime nonsense and big dumb action movies. Therefore Tetsuya goddamn Nomura gets me every time. The battle system in this game is crazy fun and over the top, and kinda makes you feel like a badass all the while. Dissidia 012 is a solid package besides, giving you an expansive single player experience most fighters lack, and a whole bunch of customization options. It even allows you to create your own scenarios and story segments if you are so inclined. I'm all for it.

9. Mortal Kombat

Speaking of fighters with plenty of reason to play solo... this guy does you good in that regard. I honestly hadn't cared about an MK game since II, but this one pulled me back in and then some. It somehow manages to feel exactly like a classic MK game, while disposing of all the janky styles they were comprised of. Everything about the controls and the movement feels *right*, and there's not much more you can ask of a fighting game.

10. L.A. Noire

Despite how hard it is to look at it now without seeing the HAZE OF HUMAN DESPAIR clouding my vision, I'd be remiss not to give L.A. Noire its props. It had a lot of hit and miss, but when it hit... it wowed me quite a bit. I actually enjoyed how all the story threads came together in the final act... even if a couple of moments deserved a scathing chuckle. When all's said and done, L.A. Noire was a unique and memorable experience.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#104  Edited By Jedted

I entered my name in the Google doc thing but here's a direct link to my list.

deadmoscow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By deadmoscow

I put my name into the Google docs thinger, but here's my list!

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

This is the clear winner this year. It almost feels unfair to the other games here...almost. There has never been a game that has so consistently enraptured me for so long. Nearly every moment of Skyrim, across three characters and about 160 hours has been completely excellent. Aside from a bug here and there, Skyrim is 100% gaming excellence.

2. Bastion

My only complaint about Bastion was that I wish there was more Bastion to play after I beat Bastion (twice). One of the best parts of this generation of gaming has been the proliferation of download-only titles. It shows that you can take a relatively small crew of developers and still produce gold. Bastion's art and music together are totally rad as it is, but add in the dynamic narration and neat folksy feel and you have a completely unique aesthetic experience. This is to say nothing of the excellent, tight isometric combat gameplay, which is tough but fair in the best way. I still occasionally find myself humming the tune to Zia's Song. Get 'em, Supergiant Games.

3. Portal 2

Valve can do no wrong, it seems. On a pure gameplay basis, Portal 2 is patently excellent. The new puzzle mechanics are clever and well-integrated into the original mechanics, and the solutions to the test chambers are still elegant and simple once you figure things out. The co-op mode is also great fun, but much easier with a friend in the room than online. The story and characters are much goofier this time around, with less of a sinister, mysterious air that was found in the original. I'm not certain which I prefer at this point, but I absolutely loved the inclusion of Wheatley and Cave Johnson. Hopefully Valve keeps the DLC train a-rollin' with this, because at this point every Portal experience is an awesome experience.

4. The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection

For a moment I told myself that re-releases didn't count, but then I realized fuck that, Shadow of the Colossus is by far my favorite game of the PS2 era. Ico's no slouch, either. Getting to play these games with a cleaned up visual presentation and a solid frame rate is only icing on the delicious, delicious cake that is SOTC and Ico together on one disc. I felt like these two games were somewhat overlooked in the previous generation, so it makes me immensely happy to have them easily accessible to a new generation of gamers.

5. L.A. Noire

I love that L.A. Noire is essentially an adventure game wrapped up in a next-gen candy coating. The facial animation technology was absolutely incredible, and I loved the noir flavor and serious tone, given Rockstar's track record. I'm not certain I agreed with the direction the writers took with Cole Phelps as a character, but it doesn't detract from the game as a whole.

6. Gears of War 3

You know what? The story and characters of Gears 3 are real, real dumb. Most of the emotional highs this game hit just kind of made me laugh. But that's besides the point - Gears 3 is just an excellent, tight gaming experience. This is the apex of cover-based shooting, and my favorite multiplayer experience of the year. Arcade mode was a brilliant way to make playing through the campaign fresh, and I don't even need to tell you how good Horde mode was.

7. Super Mario 3D Land

After 30 years, I don't know how Nintendo continues to make goomba-bopping, shell-stomping, flippity-jumping continuously fun. You would think that after Galaxy and Galaxy 2 they would have just run out of the liquid fun which they pump into Mario platformers, but Super Mario 3D Land is still great fun. The 3D effect is also excellently done - it's the one use of 3D in a game that I consistently leave on instead of just turning the slider down to zero. This should have been a launch title, but if anything it's the game that makes owning a 3DS worth it.

8. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

While it didn't reach the heights of excellence that the original Deus Ex did, Deus Ex: HR still goes above and beyond other games of this generation in giving you options to deal with obstacles. I love that every time you complete a level, you can look back and realize there were about six other ways you could have gotten the same result. I played through this game twice and had a completely different experience - my first playthrough was all stealth, computer hacking, and non-lethal takedowns. The second time through, I was Adam Jensen, Vending Machine Thrower. Very few games can give you such a satisfying array of gameplay options.

9. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

I don't even care that this game originally came out 12 years ago. It's still pretty much the best-balanced, most pure fighting game experience I've ever had. The restoration was lovingly done, but it's a shame that the online matchmaking options weren't better - Super Street Fighter 4 is the clear winner in that department.

10. Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Okay, at this point this series is kind of spinning its wheels, plot-wise. Sequel fatigue aside, Assassin's Creed is still a blast to play. I still can't get over how awesome it is to snap your fingers and watch your assassin disciples just fly in out of fucking nowhere for some good old fashioned face-stabbing. The new weapons and items make combat a continually novel experience as well, which I love.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Enigma777

I already made a list and don't feel like remaking it so I'm just gonna post it here and be an asshole. :)

Best of 2011

I played a lot of games this year.... A lot of fucking games. Even so, there's still some huge releases I couldn't cram in, which is why you won't see Dead Space 2, SR3, The Witcher 2 (waiting on the 360 version), MW3, Rayman Origins, Red Faction: Armageddon, LBP2, and the MGS and Ico/SOTC HD Collections on here. Still, it's been a great year and this has been excruciating to pick only 10 games. Also I really dropped the ball when it came to XBLA/PSN games this year. I mean I bought stuff like ITSP and Pixeljunk Shooter 2 but I never actually played them. \

Also some props to the ones that didn't make the cut: Mortal Kombat 9, Skyrim, L.A. Noire and Shadows of the Damned. I still love you!

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

It's not often that I feel like a game was made just for me. Be it the amazing art direction, the polished stealth gameplay, the fun bosses and the genuinely interesting story, it feels like something specifically tailored to my tastes and sensibilities. I love this game. Hell, I went as far as renaming my wifi network to Sarif Industries!

2. Batman: Arkham City

It's Batman. Punching a shark. In the face. 'Nuff said.

3. inFamous 2

By far my favorite open-world game. The powers are just a joy to use and moving around the city can inspire an euphoria-like effect in me. A marked improvement in every are from Infamous 1, I literally bashed a PS3 with a hammer to get my disk back because I wanted to play more. Collecting blast shards has never been more fun!

4. Gears of War 3

This game really came out of left field for me. I've had a lukewarm reception to the previous two, so I almost didn't pick it up (thanks for pushing me to get it Afro, you magnificent bastard!) but I'm really glad I did. not only was the campaign really fucking good, but the multiplayer and Horde 2.0 are an absolute blast! My only regret is that I haven't had the time to play more Horde,

5. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Uncharted 3 is better than Uncharted 2. It just is. Not only Naughty Dog take all the criticisms from the previous game to heart, but the multiplayer has recieved a complete overhaul. So you may ask, why not put it higher? Sadly it came out at a really bad time for me so I just haven't had the chance to play as much of it as I'd like. Also the aiming thing soured my experience a bit. Still, this game has the best flashback in any game ever and don't you forget it!

6. Portal 2

I don't like Valve games. There's just something about them that feels... empty. Well, at least that's what I thought until I played Portal 2. While I enjoyed the first one, I wasn't in love with it, but this one is so much bigger and better. And you know what, it's goddamn hilarious. This one is for my man, Cave Johnson.

7. Dark Souls

It's cause I hate myself.

8. Battlefield 3

I liked Bad Company. I liked Bad Company 2 even more. So consider me shocked when I booted BF3's campaign and found it to be... awful. No, it honestly is the worst FPS SP I've played this year and I finished Homefront. The scripting, the level design, the AI, it's complete shit! I'll go as far as saying that I hate the SP. Which is what makes the MP shines even more, because it's the sole reason why this game is on my list. The MP is so fun, so crazy, so... Battlefield!

9. Crysis 2

I didn't particularly care for the first Crysis. It had some fundamental gameplay issues I just couldn't look past. So I was pleasantly surprised when I started C2. The suit powers were fun to use, the combat scenarios were compelling and the story was presented very well. The pretty graphics didn't hurt either. Now if they only fixed the shooting mechanics...

10. Dragon Age II

I have a love/hate relationship with DA2. I want it to be better, oh god I want it to be better! And it wouldn't take much really, just a couple of new dungeon maps and a different ending. But as much as I hate to admit it, I still enjoyed my time with it. The new artstyle and combat are much appreciated changes and the dialogue trees are still as fun as they ever were in DAO. I put in 65 hours in the game and all it's DLC and I still want more!

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#107  Edited By thatfrood

@Superkenon: You can rename lists.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By thatfrood

@Enigma777: You can rename lists

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Enigma777

@ThatFrood: But then it wouldn't match my 2010 list (aka the officially sanctioned list of the GB crew).

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By thatfrood

@Enigma777 said:

@ThatFrood: But then it wouldn't match my 2010 list (aka the officially sanctioned list of the GB crew).

ok but... then you're list won't be considered in the community list...? I don't really understand the problem but it doesn't matter.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Enigma777

@ThatFrood said:

@Enigma777 said:

ok but... then your list won't be considered in the community list...? I don't really understand the problem but it doesn't matter.

I'm lazy.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Superkenon

@ThatFrood said:

@Enigma777: You can rename lists

Oh, so you can. Herp.

@Enigma777 said:

You could always name it back after a week or two, after it has served its purpose for this initiative. I think that's what I'll do with mine, since "GOTY 2011" isn't pretty enough for my tastes. Ho ho!

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#113  Edited By fistfulofmetal

i read the OP twice and im still not sure what to title my list. can someone clarify this point for me before i make a mistake? thanks in advance

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#114  Edited By vager

@Fistfulofmetal: Name it "GOTY 2011"

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#115  Edited By RuthLoose

My List

1. Portal 2

Portal 2 is, in my opinion, the most complete end-to-end game. It has just additional elements to its formula (Propulsion/Repulsion Gel) to feel new without hampering on the original's laser-tight focus. But, it was the story of Wheatley that stole the show here. While the first game felt like a satire of the puzzle game genre, Portal 2 feels like a satire of player agency in interactive design. Ultimately, you are a lab rat that is being guided along, but Portal 2 offered its own commentary through your skill alone. It helps that the cooperative mode is worth attention and should be tackled by people with feeling in the heart.

2. Batman: Arkham City

Batman. Realized. This is the mature Zelda that everyone constantly clamors for. Everything about the presentation of this game from the mission design to the actual gameplay feels wonderful. Gliding high above Arkham City is one of the best parts of this game. My only negative is I almost want a return to the form of Arkham Asylum for a tighter, smaller sequel. Oh, and one more thing. My only desire for the next game is to be able to pilot the Batwing at some point. That would be rad.

3. Bastion

Congratulations, Greg Kasavin and SuperGiant Games, you crafted a wholly beautiful game and world. And you managed to do it such an economy of words and interactions. Outside of that, you managed to give more justification for major video game publishers moving smaller budgeted, more experimental experiences. This generation of video game consoles has missed out on the quirky, light-hearted games that used to populate the arcade going experience. Thanks for scratching that itch.

4. Terraria

I put in over 60 hours into this biome/crafting simulator. After several failed attempts to get into Minecraft, I can safely say that I enjoy the genre when it is wrapped around a layer of gameplay and equipment progression. This may be one of the favorite multiplayer games of the year.

5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was played during a semi-turbulent period of my life. I was vacationing at the beach when Hurricane Irene decided to blow through my neck of the woods. Forced inside my beach house for several days, Deus Ex kept my spirits alive while our house was rocking from side-to-side. I have very few qualms with Deus Ex aside from a few trivial boss encounters. The fact that the game lets you approach its problems from multiple angles means that I will be able to replay this one for several years to come.

6. L.A. Noire

It seems like everyone is hesitant to rank L.A. Noire among the favorite games of 2011, if only because of the post-launch shuttering of Team Bondi's studio and the allegations that Brendan McNamara's shady business practices of overworking low-ranking employees. No, I remember L.A. Noire as the interactive realization of L.A. Confidential that I dreamed of for years. It felt like the natural evolution of the adventure game genre in many ways, by giving you another area to focus on; conversations. Sure, the interrogations didn't always work as intended, but you got the sense that Team Bondi just ran slightly out of time.

7. NBA 2K12

Never in a million years would I think to put a sports title in my annual top games list, but NBA 2K12 could be the greatest love letter to a sport that many thought would completely self-implode. Fortunately, if such a nightmare scenario played out, the fine folks at 2K would have the latent basketball fan's back. For once, creating an athlete and seeing him through the NBA drama to the finals is one of the most rewarding things to have play out in a video game. It helps that the audio commentary matches the level of sophistication happening on the court.

8. Gears of War 3

I plugged away at Gears of War for almost six days straight which is light years more attention than I give to Call of Duty or your average third person shooter. Gears 3 keeps up a brisk pace while offering the most character-building seen in the trilogy. Everything from the camera to the recoil feels tweaked to perfection specifically for the 360 controller. It also helps that Epic have created a ton of multiplayer content on top of the excellent competitive modes aimed directly at people that hate multiplayer. Beast and horde mode were thrilling enough to satisfy any shooting urges I had in the months following Gears' September release.

9. Frozen Synapse

I was a relative latecomer to Frozen Synapse, but when I finally discovered it this Christmas, I found one of the most exhilarating games of Chess, a turn-based strategy fan could desire. Playing through the campaign I got the sense that Frozen Synapse was one part Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear's planning phase and two parts Deus Ex in terms of its brooding cyberpunk atmosphere. Whatever the ingredients may be, I will enjoy heading back from time-to-time if only to experience my soundtrack of the year.

10. Shadows of the Damned

As a student of Shinji Mikami's game design and a fan of Grasshopper Manufacture's No More Heroes franchise, I figured that there was no way I could miss out on Shadows of the Damned. The game turned out to be the equivalent of pure video game camp mixed in with solid third person shooter gameplay. After the curtain call of the credits, the final scenes leave me desperately waiting for a sequel that will likely never see the light of day. It was a crying shame that this game was not marketed for the delightful horror genre romp that it is. For shame, EA marketing department, for shame.

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By fistfulofmetal

@Vager said:

I was just joking, btw.

Here's my list:

10. DiRT 3

PC - I think Dirt 2 is better, but the core racing is still the best in it's genre. Racing on rally tracks in Norway driving a Evo Lancer are some of the fun things I've done this year.

9. Battlefield 3

PC - Being a Battlefield 2 vet, this game was probably my most highly anticipated releases ever. Dice successfully has made another large scale Battlefield game that stays true to the franchise and would make pappa BF2 proud. Also Battlelog is pretty awesome. HOOAH!

8. Dead Space 2

PC - Taking the "Alien to Aliens" approach paid off her IMO. While I didn't like the setting as much as the original, I felt the story they told worked most of the time and the third person action is top in it's class. They managed to fit a few genuinely scary sections in thankfully as well... (unlike Aliens)

7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

PC - I like games that get me to play their predecessor. Mass Effect 2 got me to play Mass Effect and this game got me to play the original Deus Ex. To me, this is the best game to have stealth action since MGS3. A lot of people hated on the simple enemy routines however I relished in them because it harkened back to the days of MGS1, 2 and 3. Scripted AI patterns make the stealth action puzzle so much fun for me. Crouch walking out of a room full of bad-guys while I have (basically) Stealth Camo turned on was very fun. I also found the story and writing to be pretty good. Also, Adam Jenssen's coat has flowers on it and that's pretty badass.

6. Portal 2

PC - A lot of people doubted this game could live up to the original. It's VALVE, people. Come on, son. They took a simple idea and created an incredibly funny and rich fiction. Some of the best characters to emerge this year come from this game. The way they integrate story progression into puzzle solving is brilliant.

5. Dark Souls

360 - I couldn't play Demon's Souls. I saw what was there but the game was too difficult and I had to stop. I always felt that if a few key gameplay aspects had been different, I would have continued playing Demon's Souls and loved it. Luckily exactly that happened. Dark Souls is what I wanted from Demon's Souls. It's just as difficult but having things like... mid-level checkpoint where I can spawn from changes the entire experience for me. I don't think any other game this year delivers the sort of satisfaction of overcoming adversity Dark Souls does.

4. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

PC - First and foremost, this game looks fucking crazy. Graphically they pull out literally all the stops. There's texture work going on here that make me want to weep. Witcher 2 is a game that commits to it's gameworld unlike many others. The depth and attention to detail in the games locations are so impressive to me. When you enter the riverside town you truly feel you're there. Everything has a real wet damp feel to it, and feels lived in. Then there's the encroaching forest outside is literally the best I've seen in a game to date. Design wise- Witcher 2 is nearly flawless. The quests you pick up are never to the volume or SCOPE as something like Skyrim but they are always specific and interesting with characters who are interesting to listen to. The fact that the entire middle of the game can go two different ways and each branching path is completely different to each other. Each taking you into completely different locations with completely different sets of quests is mind-blowing to me. And the fact that both locations are each as lovingly crafted and packed with interesting quests is equally mind-blowing. I really love Witcher 2. The only reason it doesn't sit higher at the top of my list is the last act. Sadly it final stretches of the game don't feel as polished and the content you play doesnt feel as strong as anything before it. It's a single blemish but you spend a good deal of time in it. If only. That being said, I still love The Witcher 2

3. Batman: Arkham City

PC - This is somewhat childish of me. But this game is Batman as fuck. There has been a lot of debate out in the ether as to if this game is better than Arkham Asylum. Where do I side? I think Arkham City is overall a better game. It makes being Batman much more badass. It has a better storyline with a much better cast of characters. (Mr. Freeze, Penguin, Ra's Al Ghul, Two-Face vs. Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, Bane, Scarecrow). I had a lot more fun moving around the open city vs. walking between segmented zones with load screens. Batclaw + Glide + Divebombing is extremely fun. I also felt the combat and predator situations where better crafted. I really like Batman and not many games make you feel as cool as Batman is. This game does.

2. Saints Row: The Third

PC - I should really play Saints Row 3? I was shocked. I was floored. From the moment I jumped out of the back of a plane only to dive back in (through the cockpit) then pop out the back again - this game had it's claws in me. SR3 vs. Skyrim is the literal argument over shorter games with incredibly high peaks vs. much longer games with much more consistent but not as high peaks. There sure as shit some sections of this game I didn't like but the things that stick out are moments like - jumping out of a helicopter and parachuting onto a penthouse while "Power" plays. Listening to my character and Pierce sign the Sublime song to it's completion. Fuckin' Zombies showing up and my character echoing and entire gaming community in the face of more zombies by saying "Fuck my life". The entire Deckers Die mission inside the Tron Matrix. Some of the best on-the-point wrestling references I've ever heard in video games. GANSTAS IN SPACE. These moments cast a giant shadow on any blemishes. This is literally the biggest shock of 2011. What interests me most is... can they really follow up on this?

PC - The sense of exploration and discovery that Skyrim brings to the table hits the exact parts of my brain. Plopping down into a random part of the map and seeing a dozen or so black points of interest all around me. Knowing that a bunch will probably have some kind of quest associated to it. Knowing that mostly all of it is optional. Stuff like that is why Skyrim sits at the top of my list. I mentioned the battle between SR3 and Skyrim. I mentioned how Saints Row 3 had some low points that where overcast by the highs. In Skyrim I don't really think there are necessarily any low points. I really never said to myself "This is boring" or "This is bad". I consistently found that everytime I went somewhere, or found something and was engaged in some form of content - the content was worth experiencing. Was it always completely memorable? Nah. But I always felt I gained something from experiencing it, be it a piece of world-building fiction. Or a piece of loot. Skyrim makes you feel like you're an adventurer. To me that is the most enjoyable feeling a game can give me and - as of yet - nothing beyond Skyrim has delivered it to this degree. And to this degree of volume. I've sunk 90 hours into it, I've seen most of the major dungeons. I've completed the main quest line and been to all the cities. I've finished or nearly finished all the major faction quests. However I still have no touched the civil war quest line. I'm sure there are some locations I haven't found as well. It's that kind of density and volume that make Skyrim the king. No other game delivers this volume and volume at such a consistent quality.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By AlexW00d

@Vager said:

@Fistfulofmetal: Name it "GOTY 2011"

With out the quotes, of course.

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By fistfulofmetal

We should do one of these - only for worst game of 2011 :)

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#119  Edited By csl316

Which Frood?  Dat Frood.

Also, I'm still putting my list together.  Gonna have a full Saturday tomorrow to catch up on things and finalize it all.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#120  Edited By elyk247

Easily #1. Great open-world. Quest lines were shorter, but the game was still the highlight of 2011 for me.

2. FIFA 12

The defending system was horrible at first, but I have to say it's the best improvement in a long time.

3. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Nathan and Sully. The narrative is the strongest point of the game, but online is great too.

4. Bastion

Greg K, my favorite guy from the old days, came through in a big way.

5. Mortal Kombat

Best fighter in a long time, maybe since Soul Calibur for me. I suck at it, but it's still badass.

6. Pokémon Black/White

Same addicting formula.

7. Driver: San Francisco

Love the old Playstation titles. Driver is finally back to its winning ways.

8. Rayman: Origins

Michel Ancel gets boned again by crappy marketing and Ubisoft. What's new?

9. TrackMania 2: Canyon

Jeff turned me on to it. Just really fun.

10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

I'm kinda tired of it, but there's no denying the great online.

BananaHace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#121  Edited By BananaHace
if this alone picture doesn't sell you on the game, you pretty much hate fun
if this alone picture doesn't sell you on the game, you pretty much hate fun
1. DIno D-Day
Dino D-Day is a simple experience of the best competitive multiplayer that one can EVER come to experience. Not only is every moment tense and unforgiving, but you are constantly hunted down as a dino in a dino eat dino (or dino eat Allied Powers in this case) extravaganza that you have to truly experience before you can make any judgement on the gameplay. People say that there some "balance problems" with the game, whatever nerd speak that is supposed to mean is irrelevant, seeing as you are a fucking NAZI DINOSAUR WHICH FUCK THE ALLIED PUSSIES UP and yeah since the "patch" the Allied were given some pussy dino that no one cares about and is a ripoff of a badass Nazi dino but hey now the Nazis get fucking T REXES THAT SERVES DON'T HAVE TO SET LIMITS TO. I mean yeah the Allied are meant to get torn up, I'm sorry if you bitches on the other side can't understand that you are supposed to lose. If you find yourself on the Allied side, just shut the fuck up, or do what I do and blackmail admins.

The graphics are amazing if you only pay attention to certain animations of certain dinos, but since when do graphics make a game. I'd like to see YOU make a mod of Half Life 2 and then charge it for $20(!) and get away clean. The sound design gives an eerie silence when between the start and end of rounds, and a familiar, triumphant score sets in place when said round ends. The voice acting is superb for the dino cast, I didn't really listen to the people but I think some of them say funny things a lot because they keep repeating them. I dunno I wasn't paying attention.

The gameplay is up in the air. On one hand the guns feel like shit, the medpacks feel like shit, the melee feels like shit, the badass amazing dinos feel like shit, the balance is shit or so I'm told by nerds, grenades are shit, the killcam is shit somehow, the T-Rex controls like shit, gamemodes are shit, newspapers are awesome oddly, and everything is kinda shit. But that's why you don't get hung up on gameplay! You just truck on! You're having fun, whether or not you're enjoying yourself is totally unimportant because the more you think about what you're doing, the less fun you'll have doing anything in life. For example: This review was one of the most fun thing I've done in YEARS, and I'm not even sure how to use half of these words properly.

Point is that this game is GOTY and Tankasaurs are baddass.
the kid wondered why he runs like a moron with pistols
the kid wondered why he runs like a moron with pistols
2. Bastion
Kind of an ok game I guess? My list really kinda jumps down far after Dino D-Day, but I'll try to be fair. I mean in an ideal world I would have every option as Dino D-Day but whatever we're not going to get worked up over it again, b/c I know Frood is a faggot and wouldn't let me do it cause that's how assholes from the midwest are.

ANYWAY MOVING ON ok yeah this game is pretty cool I mean stuff is floating and you hit shit with hammers kind of like Mario and that's kind of cool. Had to mute the game cause the developer commentary got fucking left on (LRN 2 CODE) but hey you know we can't all be amazing russian coder muffins so I'm not going to hold it against them entirely. What was I talking about? OK yeah this game is fun.
would have gotten gotter pic but couldnt find one :(
would have gotten gotter pic but couldnt find one :(
3. Ghost Trick
Ok this game was really confusing and I'm not sure what happened during half of the time (used gfaqs cause the puzzles were dumb) god damn if that red headed chick wasn't fuckin hot.

Also the ending was really cool as shit
SNKP YOU ARE THE BEST GODDAMN EVER
SNKP YOU ARE THE BEST GODDAMN EVER
4. The King of Fighters XIII
YES MAI YES BUY

Would have placed this higher if it didn't have all those confusing things (the fuck is a hd cancel?) but hey YURI AND KING GET NAKED KIND OF. THEM SHIRTS BE COMING OFF YOOOO
they forget to put the 2 in I don't know why????
they forget to put the 2 in I don't know why????
5. Portal 2
I AM NOT WRITING THESE CHRONOLOGICALLY AND I AM RUNNING OUT OF ENERGY JUICE

THIS GAME IS FUKCING PORTAL FREE DLC BUY IT FUCK I'M LAZY

also chell is pretty hot
for jamestown 2, get some more sugoi up in this BOY
for jamestown 2, get some more sugoi up in this BOY
6. Jamestown
SHMUPS MORE LIKE MY SHIT

Yo this is aint the best shmup I ever played (this is my first one) but hey it aint bad I think if these guys keep at it and keep trying to do what they care about and don't release DLC like they think they should be able to then they'll go far. Also get some netplay in this bitch, make it compatible with HAMACHI.
get to know this: half of the game you have to be a mapagrapher or some shit
get to know this: half of the game you have to be a mapagrapher or some shit
7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
yo yo yo yoy oy oy oyoy o

I am addicted to this game my doctor has to actually come over every other day to my appartment to make sure that I get out of the house and stop playing this game because holy mother of god I'm addicted to this game. Would have been higher up but I actually have problems in my social like that I did not used to have before so this game gets kinda knocked down for that but besides that it's my other GOTY other than Mai.
SALTY RUNBACK FROM 2010 YOU CAN'T STOP THIS
SALTY RUNBACK FROM 2010 YOU CAN'T STOP THIS
8. Kane and Lynch 2: Doggy Days
While maybe not my GOTY it is my SGOTY (Streetest Game Of the Year).

BUY THIS GAME DO IT GO GO GO

again this would have been higher up but naked ass scars do not make for an immersive experience for half the game jesus christ guys
tethers why don't you go chew on some more wall gum
tethers why don't you go chew on some more wall gum
9. Puzzle Agent 2
I don't really play this game but it kind of makes me look smart when I play so yeah

Some shit happened with gnomes I dunno the gfaqs thing made sense when I read it, but he game is fucking dumb besides that. got 9 b/c that chick in the puzzle house who wants to bone that sasquatch is hot.
humor like this makes portal 2 jokes look like f@nb0y$ jokes
humor like this makes portal 2 jokes look like f@nb0y$ jokes
10. Dino D-Day
FUCK YOU FROOD I DO WHAT I WANT DINO D DAY IS THE GAME OF ALL YEARS FUCK ALL YALL

i have no excuse for any of this

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By tekmojo

GOTY 2011

If there was one game that shattered my already ridiculously high expectations for it, that game would be Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Skyrim is really what you make of it. There are so many adventures to be had if you're willing to look. Curiosity is your driving force, and creativity is your staying power. There are endless ways to play this game, and on the PC, the mods are stacking up by the minute. Whether I'm spawning warriors to battle one another, or I'm hunting animals with bow & arrow to craft that new armor I need. Skyrim had it all for me. A game that I could play at my own pace. With that said, at any pace, fast or slow, I'm likely to miss a few things along the way. And I'm fine with that, because in Skyrim, it's not the destination, but the journey.

2. Dark Souls

Dark Souls is a game that reminds us there are still hardcore gamers out there. Gamers that don't need their hand held throughout the entire game, or any of it for that matter. If there is one thing you can take away from Dark Souls, it's that patience is a virtue. The more you play of it, the wiser and stronger you become. That is until, you think you've become wiser and stronger and the game finds new ways to make you frustrated. Don't let that keep you from enjoying one of the most rewarding games to come out this year. What kills you, only makes you stronger.

3. Battlefield 3

Born to fight, trained to kill, the United States Marines. There isn't a fighting force quite like us. Portraying Marines in games isn't anything new. But Battlefield 3's attention to detail is scary close to the real thing. How this game sounds is a great place to start. Explosions, jets, tanks, guns, voices, they're all amazing. Add into that an unbelievably deep progression and competitive multiplayer scene that captures all of Battlefield 2's glory, and now we're talking. You can't go wrong with Battlefield 3, and it's sure to create, "Did you see that!?" moments long into 2012.

4. Star Wars: The Old Republic

Star Wars meets MMO once more. Having spent only a short amount of time in The Old Republic would be an understatement. But working your way through any MMO requires patience and determination. I can honestly say that I have no immediate desire to rush through content just to map out every nook and cranny of the galaxy. Yet. Story is key here, and a fantastic one at that. Here's me hoping that whatever charm I've seen thus far, will continue to propel me for a long, long time.

5. L.A. Noire

I'm a sucker for realism, and L.A. Noire is by far the most realistic crime/mystery solving game I have played. The game reminds me of Heavy Rain quite a bit, and like that game, this has very strict rules on how you should play. That may sound like it's removing some of the fun, but all it's asking you to do is approach it from a different perspective. Once you get into the mind of protagonist, Cole Phelps, you will be shocked at some of the things you learn throughout the story.

6. Dead Island

Dead Island shows you that there is much to improve upon for the Zombie Survival genre. Sure this game had numerous bugs and glitches, but it took chances. The end result is a refreshing and unique experience that won't soon be forgotten. Hacking zombie limbs off in Dead Island is hugely satisfying thanks to the body destruction physics. Apart from the end boss being a complete joke, given how powerful you become by the final chapter, the story actually unfolds quite well. I can't wait to take another stab at this new zombie franchise.

7. Rift

I was there at the start, and for an MMO, it had one of the smoothest launches I can think of. But even that by itself isn't enough to give you an edge in today's market. The biggest advantage Rift had going for it was its extreme level of polish. And while I I didn't always care for what was going on in Rift's story, the developers put so much effort into the game that it was hard to look away. Like the spontaneous nature of the Rifts, the chaotic charm of this game only lasted so long. What a ride it was though, and I hope to see more MMOs follow suit.

8. Might & Magic Heroes Kingdom

One of my guilty pleasure games happens to be on the web-browser platform. If you want persistence, but don't have a lot of time to sacrifice, Might & Magic Heroes Kingdoms is a MMORTS that serves you quite well. These games don't do a terrific job presenting oneself, but what it lacks in flash, it more than makes up for it in substance. Having the Might & Magic lore scores some points for it too.

9. World Cruise Story

Mobile games have come a long way. Being away from my PC and consoles leaves me filling that gap with some fantastic time killers. World Cruise Story is every Tycoon's dream game. Simple, but plentiful options lets you build the biggest and most popular cruise ship ever. No time limits or pesky goals in this one, just pure mobile, sandbox fun. My battery begged me to stop, but that wasn't enough to keep me away.

10. Minecraft

Easily one of the most overwhelming games of 2011 for me was Minecraft. Backed by an amazing community, and the ability to invest into the game before its actual release made this a completely unique title. This is a true sandbox adventure game that always me to play more of it. Unfortunately, I couldn't dig up enough time to discover all of its secrets.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By tekmojo
@BananaHace: I completely forgot about Dino D-Day, omg what a hilarious game.
Box3ru13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Box3ru13

GOTY 2011

I am constantly late to the BBQ. Life has picked up and I am left with less and less free time and money to seek out all the games I want to play. I actually spent a majority of my time "catching up" on games from 2010 that I didn't get to.

Vanquish, Alpha Protocol, FF13, Need 4 Speed Hot Pursuit, etc, are all titles that I managed to finally play and beat during this year. But I still have Dragon Age Origins Awakening, 3D Dot Game Heroes and a slew of PC titles that I can only dream of completing.

Naturally my 2011 list is going to be lacking some titles that if I had played I know for certain would be here but with three days left in the year I don't see myself getting to any of them.

Thus Skyrim, Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Gears of War 3, Saints Row 3 and many other Holiday releases are just not included because I didn't have a chance. Considering that alone that is six games that could be on this list lets you know the amount of titles I just don't have time for.

1. Portal 2

Portal 2 is a stunning achievement. The Orange Box upon release was packed so full of awesome content that it would've been easy to forgive Valve for releasing a game that doesn't quite cut it. Thankfully that didn't happen but despite Portal's great humor and clever puzzle design it was still an experience that could be completed in an afternoon if you were dedicated. Enter Portal 2, a game that is so good it is difficult to imagine how Valve will raise the stakes in a sequel. The interactions between Glados and Wheatley are so damn funny that you just wish you could stop playing and sit and listen to their back-and-forth. That's not even mentioning Cave Johnson and his wonderful commentary on all matters science and Aperture. I didn't encounter a more enjoyable single player experience all year. There is a coop mode that I hear is also pretty damn good but I've played barely any of it. Despite this it isn't difficult to call Portal 2 my Game of the Year and easily one of the best games of this generation.

2. Battlefield 3

If I had a nickel for every time some crazy, over-the-top mayhem happened while playing Battlefield 3. I don't know how many nickels I would have but it would be a proverbial shit-ton. This game can very well consume you're soul if you aren't careful. The amount of time I've sunk into multi-player rivals time some people have put into Skyrim on multiple playthroughs. The single-player does end up being a little flat with a "me too" and "been there, done that" feel but it is serviceable. The coop missions are better and manage to be a neat distraction but as with previous Battlefields it is all about the Multiplayer. Jets, Helicopters, Tanks oh my! The destruction is still top notch and everything from sniping to capturing flags is fun and rewarding. On top of the still excellent and standard-setting sound design and BF3 illustrates why it is the best multi-player game this year and one fine FPS in a market over-saturated with them.

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I love Deus Ex. I consider it one of the best games of all time and worthy of all the praise it gets. I even enjoyed the second one despite it being what many people think is some abomination. I've been following Human Revolution closely and upon its release was delighted to hear that it was not only an excellent title but one fit to bear the Deus Ex name. It is not perfect by any means but the characters, setting, and augmentations made available present such a wide range of options that almost anyone can find a play style they enjoy. Truly one of the year's best.

4. inFamous 2

Sucker Punch really raised the bar with the first InFamous. Despite coming out around the same time as Prototype it became clear that InFamous was something really special. InFamous 2 is more InFamous which is not a bad thing. The New Marais setting is much more colorful and vibrant than Empire City and the new "heroes" you meet are more interesting and fleshed out than the previous ones. Navigation around the city is still a blast and with new abilities added to make it even more so, InFamous 2 shines bright despite some difficulty gripes and camera that gets a little wonky at the wrong time.

5. Dead Space 2

Dead Space was one of my favorite titles in 2008. I fell in love with all things Dead Space related in quick order. The atmosphere EA Redwood established was scary, tense and believable. Dead Space 2 manages to do so capture what made Dead Space so special. More crazy enemies, cool space weaponry, and unsettling scenery and audio. It also benefits from having some of the best set pieces this generation and deserves all the praise in the world for managing to take a sleeper hit and iterate on it so well. The added multi-player isn't shabby either joining the ranks of Assassins Creed and Uncharted as games that have managed to take single player only games and add a good multi-player component

6. Killzone 3

2009's Killzone 2 was quite the accomplishment. It delivered stunning graphics that at the time was unsurpassed (excluding Crysis) and unlike its predecessor was polished and actually fun. Flash forward two years and Guerilla Games brought more us more Killzone. Not a bad thing by any means. But it didn't have the same impact that it did back in 2009. The Multiplayer (for better or worse) aped some stuff from other popular online shooters. The weighty-ness of the controls was also gone (again for better or worse) but the suite of options and excellent map design still make Killzone 3 one of the best online multiplayer shooters on the market and the campaign isn't half bad either if you ignore some of the melodrama.

7. Jamestown

While I enjoy top down shooters as much as the next person I can't say that I really love them but there is something special about Jamestown. The shooting is rewarding, the ships are unique, and the special attacks are varied and devastating. The narrative constructed around the crazy premise of the colonization of Mars by Spain and England is cute if ultimately a weak justification for the setting and enemies. With plenty of unlockables, challenge rooms, and leaderboards Jamestown despite being only $10 is packed with content that is engaging after you've completed the five story missions. Multiple difficulties and four ships to choose from also add to the replay value. After playing some four-player coop with the developers of Jamestown for 10 minutes I pulled out my wallet and handed a crisp Jefferson. Its that good.

8. SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs

Zipper took the reins back from Slant Six after a poorly received entry in Confrontation. However Zipper had the impossible task of making a game that will bring in newcomers in the heavily contested shooter genre while pleasing long time hardcore fans. As someone who hasn't played a SOCOM game since the original I was interested to see how this one turned out. Unfortunately the "Great PSN crash of 2011" happened to derail the online launch of this title. But once you were able to log on, the round based classic SOCOM still held up and the "modern" take on the modes (respawns) was perfect for newbies and those wanting less downtime between killing. All in all, a good entry for the SOCOM franchise.

9. Mortal Kombat

Lets be honest for a second. Anything past MK3 has been anything but amazing. A couple of the PS2-era titles were okay and Shaolin Monks was pretty cool for a beat 'em up. But MK vs. DC was awful and after SF4 came out and did right by everyone (sans overpriced costumes for download) it was hard to imagine Mortal Kombat getting its groove back. But like Stella MK9 is absolutely fantastic. As someone who grew up with Mortal Kombat it has always been my favorite fighting franchise and Ed Boon and Co. finally did right by everyone. The move back to 2D was very much needed and the amount of fighters and krazy kontent included in this title reflect the labor of love this project must have been for Netherealm, it shows.

10. L.A. Noire

As someone who enjoyed Red Dead Redemption I was looking forward to what Rockstar and Team Bondi had in store with LA Noire. The facial animations and expressions are second to none. The detective work isn't half bad either with a helpful hint system in place to prevent people from getting too stuck but still requiring the player to try and deduce the correct answer. It is a shame that the action isn't really that great and the overarching story doesn't fit well especially compared to the short narratives told via the actual cases. It is also unfortunate that the entire situation at Team Bondi was so rotten as well as it leaves a rather ugly and distracting black eye from what could have and should have been this year's Red Dead or GTA.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#125  Edited By willin

GOTY 2011

This year may not of been the best year of gaming overall but it is certainly the most varied. Some of the games that came out this year cannot be compared to others from year's past. Some of these games may never be duplicated ever again. No matter who you are you'll find at least one game this year that you'll cling onto like a child to her mother. It's truly a great time to be a video game enthusiast.

Here is my personal top ten games of 2011 (Going from best down).

I have been waiting for Skyrim for over half a decade. I preordered the Collector's Edition months before a Collectors Edition even existed. I specifically took my first extended break off work the week it came out. I played it for 60 hours less than 120 hours after it was released and during all that time I enjoyed every second off it. The Elder Scrolls is my favorite series in gaming. I know lore and history off by heart. I played 300+ hours of Morrowind and Oblivion. I'm going to play Skyrim for years. It does what Elder Scrolls does with every game but it does it better than anything else out there. The best moments in the game is better than the scripted moments of Battlefield or Call of Duty. Skyrim is far and away my favorite game of the year and possibly in this generation of consoles. It's that fucking good...

2. Dark Souls

I'll never forget the experience of Dark Souls for as long as I live. I'll never forget that moment when I saw something glimmering in the distance only to have a giant boulder fly out of the darkness and insta-kill me. I'll never forget the moment fighting the church gargoyle only for another one to show up midfight. I'll never forget the pure fear I had when a seemingly dead dragon rises from his sleep as I frantically try to run away. Dark Souls effected me outside the game more than anything in any medium. All of the stress, fear and joy I felt during my playtime is something that will never happen to me again. It will change the way you look at games, forever.

3. Portal 2

Two years ago if you ask me how "How you do follow up Portal?" I would of said you couldn't, and while Portal 2 still needed match that moment of GlaDOS' turn back in 2007 it got really close. Any sequel that can not only make a more interesting and funny character than GlaDOS but do it multiple times is already beating expectation. But it doesn't just make the story better, it makes the gameplay better giving us the most evil, devilish puzzles in years. Portal 2 is not perfect but if you can give us a reasonable follow-up to one of the best games ever than that alone is indicative of Portal 2's quality.

4. Dead Island

Like LA Noire I've been waiting for a game like Dead Island for years. I wanted a realistic zombie game in which I'm interacting with people with realistic expectations. You're not cutting zombies in half with a chainsaw, you're smashing them down with a paddle or iron rod. You're not out to kill mutated animals. It's survival. The frantic moments running through the city streets with almost no health with a dozen zombies chasing me is my most memorable gameplay moments of the year. I got the feeling that I'll be playing Dead Island for years, technical issues be dammed!

5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Despite my massive issue with the colours of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. (or really just one colour) I loved Deus Ex. The best level design since the original Portal, Deus Ex: Human Revelation shows that relevant player choices can be held outside of a conversation tree depending on how you play a level. You'll want to play through Deus Ex: Human Revolution more than once to discover the world, themes and ideals it bring to the gaming audience.

6. L.A. Noire

I've been waiting for a game like LA Noire for years. A detective story where the game doesn't hold your hand. Where you make your own observations and decisions based on your bias instead of the characters. You can make mistakes, accuse the wrong person, miss a piece of evidence and completely fuck it up. I really hope this game revolutionize the genre and bring it out of the terrible PC market of TV Shows and a casual audience. This is all on top of brilliant setting and tone plus the best facial animation anywhere. LA Noire is the perfect game for the budding detective.

7. Batman: Arkham City

Despite having similar features to it's big brother, Arkham City shows us that lightnning can strike twice for Rocksteady. Giving us both the famous timeless villains and the lesser known bad guys from the Batman universe it delves into the often fantastic Batman lore and fiction. It has the realism and tone of the Nolen films with the whimsy, colour and creativity of the Animated Series. In my opinion this is the best Batman you can get, in any medium.

8. Saints Row: The Third

There is never a dull moment in Saints Row: The Third. The ultimate evidence that fun gameplay is better than realistic immersion, Saints Row shows the industry that you can make a game with adult humor without being immature. Fantastic scenarios and writing built on top of functional gameplay, Saints Row: The Third is a must play for the person who just wants to go with the flow.

9. Mortal Kombat

Despite being banned in my country I couldn't wait to get my hands on Mortal Kombat so trust me when I say the importing process and illegal material I'm currently handling is completely worth it. Mortal Kombat has resurrected the series after giving itself a fatality with 'Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe'. Simple combat mechanics allowing new players to feel empowered plus the best story mode in the history of fighting games makes this an easy choice for my top ten.

10. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

While critics dismiss this as 'Twilight Princess ate Windwaker' and having not change a 25+ year old formula Skyward Sword is proof of the concept of "Don't fix what ain't broke". The Wii Motion Plus adds that strategic element to an aging Zelda combat system by making each encounter both a combat and puzzle scenario. Add the great presentation and graphic plus the best Zelda story ever and you have a fantastic entry in a legendary series.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Dreamfall31

Giant Bomb actual isn't doing one this year? WTFBBQ? Alrighty...submitted my list!

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By tekmojo
@Willin: A very nice list, Mortal Kombat deserves more of my attention for sure. I stopped playing after the network shutdown.
jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#128  Edited By jkuc316

I made a list, and I even put a description, but I lost the description because it was too long to load when I saved it. So, its just a list. Seriously people, play KOF.

Here it is.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By jkuc316

@BananaHace: An Hd cancel is doing a Drive cancel while in Hyper Drive Mode. its not that confusing.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#130  Edited By RVonE
therealminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 36

#131  Edited By therealminime

This is awesome, thanks for doing this.  My list: 

1. Portal 2

My number one slot, my Game of the Year, was a difficult choice. Initially I though Batman would take the cake, then I was pretty sure Skyrim would win that title from me, but then I did some serious thinking. I remembered the emotions I had playing Portal 2 that frustration followed by utter satisfaction, those final few minutes of the game where I went from having my jaw on the floor to nearing tears. No game can say that it has done these things to me. To me, Portal 2 is the epitome of what a video game should be, it is perfection. A game should provide a challenge, it should provide satisfaction, it doesn’t need to steal from films, or adapt from books, it doesn’t need flashy cut scenes, or a dozen celebrity voice actors. A truly great video game should be able to stand up and say, “Everything I have done can only be done in a game.” Portal 2 is that game. Valve managed to take a small science project and turn it into something else entirely. Its gameplay is still unlike any other game in existence, its humour is sharp and constant, the twists in the story are both surprising and hilarious, it has no bugs, no glitches, no cursing, no violence, and no blood. When I want to show people the reason as to why I love video games, Portal 2 is the game I show them, and that makes it my number one game of 2011.

2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Like Saints Row, I wouldn’t have believed you if you said Skyrim would be my number two game this year. I have never played an Elder Scrolls game, I know I am a blasphemer, because I do not like fantasy. I have also never enjoyed one of Bethesda’s massive open world RPG’s. Yet here I am, 60 hours spent in the magical land of Skyrim and all I want to do is play more of it. Never have I played a game whose world was so well realised and was such a joy to spend time in. There is nothing like walking around Skyrim and there will never be something as serene as walking around Skyrim. Add in a huge story, dragons, Norse inspiration everywhere, top notch voice acting, and a colossal amount of freedom and you have an experience that can only come from a video game.

3. Batman: Arkham City

I am a huge fan of Arkham Asylum. It nailed the Batman universe with terrifying accuracy. So I had colossal expectations for Arkham City. Thankfully, Rocksteady didn’t change a whole lot in the formula and kept Batman great. It has fantastic visual design, some of the best voice acting to date, the single best melee combat system around, and tells a surprisingly emotional tale. It difficult to get across how great Arkham City is, but it is a game that I will come back to time and time again, and one that every gamer deserves to play.

4. Saints Row: The Third

If you had told me one month ago that Saints Row: The Third was going to be one of my favourite games this year, I would have slapped you in the face and deemed you insane. I have never played a Saints Row game, nor have I ever wanted to play a Saints Row game. But when I heard that there were thing in Saints Row 3 that were so insane, speaking them out loud would make you sound crazy, I had to see what it offered. To my delight, SR:TT is the gamiest, most self-aware, and all around hilarious game this year. Its humour is varied and remarkably knowledgeable; its gameplay is fun and focused on you having fun, despite the fact that you can become more or less invincible and insta-kill virtually anything, and the things you do and places you go would truly sound insane if I told you right now. From an outsider, everything in SR:TT would sound out of place, but it comes together perfectly for the most bat-shit crazy game I have ever played.

5. Bastion

What makes Bastion so special is a combination of fast paced action, utterly gorgeous visuals, and the unique narrative touch of having the narrator talking about what you are doing. The reason Bastion sits so high on my list is because 5 people were able to make a game that went so far outside the box and did everything so perfectly, you would think it of a long experienced developer. Oh, and did I mention, it has the best soundtrack this year, movie or game.

6. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Yeah, this is at number 6. I wouldn’t have thought it would be at number 6 earlier this year, I would have thought it would be in the top 3, but here we are, and it is at number 6. Uncharted 2 remains one of the very best games ever made, so Uncharted 3 had a lot to live up to. While this game is the pinnacle of cinematic action games, along with one of the best written and acted games out there, AND bar none the best looking console game to date, it was not nearly as exciting or shocking as Uncharted 2 was. Plus, playing Uncharted is still not its best trait, but wow, was the desert sequence ever powerful.

7. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

I got a very powerful gaming PC in June of this year. It had been years since I was a PC gamer and had decided to get back into that world. I had heard of The Witcher 2 as being one of the best PC exclusives in a long while, and perhaps the best looking. Wanting to try out my PC, I got The Witcher 2. Much to my surprise, I didn’t just get the most visually impressive game this year, I also got a long, very mature, challenging, deep RPG unlike I had ever played before. Having lost almost all care for multiplayer games, a nearly 40 campaign that kept me on my toes the whole time was an experience I soon won’t forget. Also, lots of boobs helped that game out.

Every single piece of media that they released for Human Revolution, with the exception of the CGI trailer, prior to its release did absolutely nothing for me. The graphics looked old, the gameplay looked boring, and nothing looked interesting. Then it was released, and the reviews came in, and everyone said it was actually really good. I had known the original Deus Ex for being an important game, and so I figured that I would give Human Revolution a whirl. While the gameplay wasn’t the best, it allowed the player so much freedom to approach every scenario differently that it immediately stood out to me. The graphics and voice acting were hit and miss at times, but the surprisingly unique, intelligent story and fascinating world of Human Revolution sucked me in and left an impact on me.

9. Gears of War 3

Gears of War 2 was my introduction into the Gears universe, it was long, enjoyable, fun, and had some fantastic gameplay and visuals. Going into Gears of War 3, I had high expectations, mainly for its campaign. Thankfully, Epic Games managed to continue the high quality trend. Gears 3 had a long, varied campaign that introduced some great new characters while still keeping up the cheese. It also managed to conclude the trilogy with some great closure. While Gears 3 was basically a single player only game for me, its multiplayer is not my cup of tea, the Horde mode was made way more accessible and less monotonous, and Beast mode might be my favourite new mode of 2011.

10. LittleBigPlanet 2

There is something to be said about games that have no killing, a sense of humour, and an art style so adorable you could melt. LittleBigPlanet 2 was one of the few games this year that was pure joy to play, from beginning to end. It has some surprisingly great characters, mainly Avalon Centrifuge, one of the most gleeful soundtracks to date, and was fun from beginning to end, something most games can’t say. Oh, and it also had a pretty insane level/game builder built in that resulted in some remarkably creative, community made levels.

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#133  Edited By recroulette

Between Puyo Puyo! Sonic CD, and Sonic Generations, Sega had a hell of a year. My faith in them is restored. That is, until Sonic 4 Episode 2 comes out and kicks me in the groin.

GOTY 2011

You know, 2011 was a great year. I went from a barren game shelf (rented or sold everything at one point) to a full shelf full of awesome games. To be honest, I really wish I played more games that came out this year. Too many instances of "I really should've played this." Enough lamenting though, I played a lot of awesome games. Discovered new series' and found more love for my Wii and 360, but what I played on my PS3 was still top this year. Honestly, multiplatform games were awesome. But my DS was able to pick a couple spots. Enough summary though, I'll just go with the games.

1. Portal 2

Brilliant. Just brilliant. That game stayed at a high mark the whole time. It's just composed of so many great parts. The single-player mode is one of the best I've ever played. The characters are great, the story turns are great, and that ending, oh man that ending. One of those moments where you wish you could experience it for the first time again. Oh right, did I mention the co-op THAT'S brilliant too. You and your partner solving puzzles while GlaDOS tries her best to make you both hate each other. This game is easily my favorite of the year.

2. Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary

Think of Tetris DS. Think of how great of a Tetris game that was and what it did for the series. Puyo 20 is that times ten. So many awesome characters, so many different modes, the most pick up and play game of the year. The only thing possibly keeping this from winning is the fact that this was an import game. I don't read Japanese, so I didn't understand ANYTHING about the story. Yet I imported it twice.

3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The pure volume of stuff in this game, I could write books on it. My character Cat Sassin (Khajiit character focused on stealth). I don't even know where to go with this. Skyrim was great.

4. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

I gave up on this game in January. Got to the stealth sequence, quit. So how in the hell did this game make it so high up on the list? Upon replaying the game, I remembered some of the awesome story turns. If you can make it out of prison, the game becomes brilliant. Plot twist after plot twist, all made more poignant by the soundtrack. The people behind the first Phoenix Wright games make this game an insane trip. Also, best fourth-wall breaking moment since MGS4. Still get chills thinking about that one.

5. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

A great story mode, but the reason this game ranks so high is the multiplayer. My siblings and I racked up an insane amount of hours in the co-op. Putting many people in the Uncharted gameplay was cool. There were some intense moments, topping anything the single player threw at us. Also, best taunts in any online game. Pumping and thrusting.

6. Saints Row: The Third

I hate GTA, so for me to play a crime simulator is absurd. This game had me addicted. While the side stuff was boring, the story was fantastic. It slammed the foot on the gas pedal and didn't let up until the end. So many amazing moments you wanted to talk about. This game also had the best use of licensed music. "Power" and "Holding Out For a Hero" made good missions great.

7. L.A. Noire

This game blindsided me. I was expecting GTA in the 40s, I got an adventure game! This reminded me of Phoenix Wright, which was a great thing, and throughout the game, the interrogation sequences were intense. I felt fully satisfied about this whole game. The twist at the end, the actual end. Everything felt perfect. Despite the flaws and some weak cases, I really enjoyed this.

8. Sonic Generations

Sonic Generations, I fucking hate where the series has gone after Sonic Adventure 2, but goddamn, this game made me nostalgic. If you have ever had an emotional attraction to the series. Even more amazing was how this game mirrored the series. Classic Era, awesome. Dreamcast Era, decent but slipping. Modern Era, godawful, but showing hope near the end. Despite the game fucking up the final boss, there was enough credit built up from that game, I could let it slide. Nostalgia carries this game.

9. Dynasty Warriors 7

Repetitive gameplay, warlords with crazy names, grating guitar soundtrack. While true, I still love this series. What made this game great though is the story mode. Even if you have never played the series, the story mode makes this worth picking up. The integrated cutscenes were miles beyond anything in the series so far. I was blown away by how much the story affected me. Deaths I had seen before in previous games were very emotional, despite seeing them coming from a mile away. If you are a fan of the series, the finale of the whole story is one of the most powerful moments in a DW game. It had something for everyone.

10. To the Moon

Short, sweet, and oh so heartbreaking. To the Moon is a great indie game with one of the best stories of the year. If you can get past the basic gameplay, you'll find a lot to love. I picked this up on a whim after seeing someone post about it on Twitter, and I'm glad that I did.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#134  Edited By SMTDante89

Done. Here's my Top 10.

1. Saints Row: The Third

If someone were to ask me to make a list of five games to show off just why I enjoy gaming so much, Saints Row: The Third would be on that list. While many games make us feel like we're part of the world through story, characters or environments (or a combination of these things), Saints Row is flat out fun in so many ways.

2. The Binding of Isaac

Nearly 60 hours were put into this downloadable game from me, and I still haven't quite experienced everything I want to out of it yet. The gameplay is simple, but the game can be fairly difficult, though sometimes it's mainly because luck just wasn't on your side when it comes to the 100+ items you can find in the game to boost your stats (or just the opposite) Did I mention it's only $5? Buy it and, if you can, also pick up the soundtrack, it's really quite good.

3. Mortal Kombat

I'm not a fighting game fan, the only fighting games I've ever really put any serious time into were the Smash Bros. series and a bit of Guilty Gear a few years back. So it came as a major shock that I enjoyed Mortal Kombat as much as I did. I originally picked it up as something to play around with for the month I had off between college and my summer job, but after that I still came back to MK, alone or with friends. The story in the Single Player is really good, the fighting felt great, it was just an all-around great game.

4. Dark Souls

As a spiritual successor to my 2009 GOTY Demon's Souls, I had high expectations coming into Dark Souls, and came away more than satisfied. The game is still very difficult, and I enjoy the more open world this game has compared to the linearity of Demon's Souls.

5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

There is so much stuff to do in this game! And I've gotten to the point where I want to experiment with different play styles, something I rarely do in Elder Scrolls games (normally a sword and shield guy, with a little bit of magic to help out in certain situations) This is a game that should be experienced by many people at some point, probably after a few more bugs are fixed.

6. Bastion

In my opinion, this is the second best download only game that came out this year (third if you include the HD update to Beyond Good & Evil) What can I say that hasn't been said before? The narrator is a cool feature, the music is astounding and the gameplay is solid.

7. inFamous 2

This includes Festival of Blood as well. Sucker Punch's inFamous came back with a thunderous roar during the summertime drought (though this summer was much better than the past few years in that regard) And in October, more inFamous action came about in a "what if" story with vampires through the downloadable game Festival of Blood, with the awesome new ability to actually fly by splitting into a bunch of bats.

My first Deus Ex game, and boy was it fun! Another game that makes me want to experiment in a few different ways.

9. Pokémon Black/White

After an 8 year absence from the Pokemon games, I decided to jump back into the franchise. After getting through the nostalgic feelings of my youth, I still had plenty of fun with this game.

10. Gears of War 3

Another big surprise for me this year. I never really cared all that much for the Gears series, I can't really remember all that much from Gears 2 and forgot about some of the characters entirely. But my best friend and I would always play through them anyway, they were at least competent co-op games, so it came time for us to go through Gears 3, and I actually found myself interested in the story and what happened to everyone. It wrapped up nicely.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#136  Edited By DjCmeP

GOTY 2011

1. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Not as good as the 2nd game was but it still had many great moments.

2. Portal 2

The game was fun and challenging.

3. TrackMania 2: Canyon

Out of all games that came out this year I've played this the most.

4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I'm about 30 hours in...but this has earned it's spot on my list.

5. Serious Sam 3: BFE

Finished this game about 10 minutes before making this list.

6. Dead Space 2

This game was a lot better than the first game but it traded the horror to shooting which I didn't like that much.

7. Batman: Arkham City

It was an ok game but I didn't like the "open world".

8. Killzone 3

I didn't like this as much as the 2nd game...but hey... atleast I got to play with Jeff on the TNT.

9. DiRT 3

Got this with my new video card and I liked it. I don't usually like rally games but this was very enjoyable.

10. L.A. Noire

It started of great but around the middle of the story it turned to shit.I also hated the ending...WHY DO INNOCENT PEOPLE RUN AWAY FROM THE COPS?

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Dreamfall31

I've played 100 hours of Skyrim. I've played 20 hours of Saints Row. I've nearly completed multiple quest lines in Skyrim. I've done maybe 6 missions in Saints Row. 3 hours of those 20 are story missions. Saints Row is THE greatest open-world crime sandbox game ever. It takes all of the stuff I wish GTA had and adds it. Little things like instantly jumping into a car and zoomng off, opposed to GTA's slow carjacking animation. Being able to instantly pull a parachute when falling in the air, as opposed to only getting one parachute at a time (or none in GTA4's case). Great 3rd person shooting, great variety of weapons, perks and upgrades, complete character customization that is super expanisve, fun shooting, amazing driving, not flying off bikes everytime you hit anything, that diving fall anytime you take a slightly high jump, controllable air planes, auto target helicopter missiles, car customization, 3 voice actors per sex, amazingly funny humor, did I mention not frustrating shooting? Saints Row The Third does everything right that I wish GTA had done. As much as I like the GTA series, there were always those little things that it needed. This game is so much goddamn fun it's hard not to put it on top!

2. LittleBigPlanet 2

LBP1 was amazing, and LBP2 is stellar. Stellar is amazing times 5. I fell in love with this game and still am. Most of it is credited to the super talented community who keep making awe inspiring levels. I am thankful for their detemination and hard work. I tried making my own level, but didn't have the patience to finish it! The story mode is something really fun too with some of the coolest characters of the year! LBP2 is just something super magical that I cannot simply explain in words. If you haven't played it since it's release, pop it in and play some of the high rated levels and I DARE you not to fall in love with this platformer all over again!

3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Yes, I play the PS3 version. Yes, it has framerate issues. Yes, had I an 360 I would have that version. No, I do not regret not having a 360. I've played over 100 hours of it and only had 3 lock-ups. Framerate isn't an issue if I re-set the game every two hours or so. Will I be playing this on and off during 2012? YES

4. Portal 2

Everyone has played this. Everyone knows how amazing it is. Superb writing and neat/intuitive puzzle solving. Well-made characters and a terrific story. It's only dimishing trait is that I only really can truly experience it once. Everytime after that is nowhere near the level of awe,

5. Pokémon Black/White

I played the shit out of Pokemon when I was a kid. I had Blue, Yellow, and Silver. Nearly a decade later I'm playing the new one, Black Version. When I made it to the elite 4, I had nearly 100 hours logged. WTF....how does 23 year old me play a Pokemon for as long as a Skyrim?!?!?

6. Batman: Arkham City

Many were dissapointed, I wasn't. It as less Metroid-vania than Asylum, but was just as good. It is one of those games like the first, where the initial playthrough is so awe inspiring that any subsequent playthrough will never feel the same. I loved the atmoshpere that the city created. The snow and darkness added a lot to the tone of this game. The story can be short if you rush it, but if you take your time and do side stuff here and there you can get a good 20 hours out of it. I got all of the Riddler stuff and it isn't worth it, way too much of it. But other than that this game is awesome. There is no feeling better than just hitting the R1 and grappling to the nearest building. AWESOME

7. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Havent finished it yet, but I love it already. Great art style, characters, and writing. Can't wait to finish!

8. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Nowhere near the level of Uncharted 2, but still fun. Has some mega frustrating points and dissapointing lack of character banter. Can't believe HD fucked up the shooting as it frustrated the hell out of me. Finished it with the terrible shooting, but want to play it again soon with the good shooting.

9. Okamiden

I love Okami the original. Never finsihed it, but want to soon. I pray for an HD remake someday. Didn't play much of Okamiden....but literally only one of the barely 11 games I played.

10. L.A. Noire

Loved everything EXCEPT the fact that almost NONE of the criminals you lock up are the actual crime committers. It as MEGA dissapointing to find that two whole desks of cases were all by one guy and you worked so fucking hard to lock up the wrong guy no matter which of the two you picked. Total fucking dumb. Kinda wish there was more side stuff also, but I bet it already cost them a billion dollars to pay the actors for what they did make. If all of that stuff I just mentioned was better than this would be higher. So for now this is my 10.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, with all the bitching about Skyrim vs Saints Row, I can't wait for this list to come through. Hopefully it's a fucking tie and everyone shuts the hell up and plays some damn video games.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

MrXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#143  Edited By MrXD
TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By TehFlan

GOTY 2011

Before starting, I'd like to list the games I haven't played from this year that I probably should have. (Not in any particular order)

1. El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
  2. Bastion
  3. Kirby's Return to Dream Land
  4. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Also, some of the big games I haven't gotten around to playing earlier games in the series (Batman, mostly). That's probably all of them, right? Anyways, here are the 10 games I think are the best of the year.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

This game, man. I'm not really sure where to start. Okay. I am now. Motion controls. Stupid, right? Most of the time, yeah. But somehow, Skyward Sword actually manages to make the combat feel great through its use of the Wii Motion Plus. Of course, the art and music are also amazing. The dungeon design and puzzles are the best in the series, especially that last dungeon. Holy shit. And the story actually manages to tie together the whole Zelda universe in a way that doesn't feel like total bullshit, making use of characters that I found myself caring about a great deal by the end of the game. In short, Skyward Sword has become one of my all-time favorite games and is in my opinion both the best Zelda game and the best game to come out this year. Does it have a slow start? Yeah. Is having the game pause every time you pick up a material annoying? Yes. Did any of Skyward Sword's faults stop me from enjoying it? Not in the slightest.

2. Pokémon Black/White

I'm not going to try and justify my enjoyment of Pokemon. I'm just going to say that I put almost 250 hours into this game, the Pokemon from this generation are the second best after the original, and this game actually has a decent story. Also, my starter Pokemon was a luchador pig with a flaming mane.

3. Portal 2

Portal 2 has both a great single player, fantastic co-op, and the best writing in any game I have ever played. The fact that it isn't at the top of this list is more a testament to how much I enjoyed these other games than anything else.

4. Super Mario 3D Land

I wasn't sold on the 3DS's ability to do 3D well until I played Mario, but that isn't what makes this game so great. It's just plain FUN. I have no idea what it is about running and jumping I like so much, but man do I like it. Super Mario Land 3D (that should be its actual title) also has tremendous level design and a great set of power-ups going for it.

5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Ocarina of Time is still good guys, in case you were wondering. Also the touch screen additions are pretty useful, especially in the water temple.

6. Kirby Mass Attack

Kirby Mass Attack is a DS game with achievements. As truly bizarre as that is, it didn't stop me from S-ranking it. Sure, it didn't do anything on a system-wide level, but I just did not want to stop playing. I think that says something about how good this game is.

7. Pushmo

Nobody freak out, but this game was released on Nintendo's e-shop. And not only is it a great game, it didn't get buried in obscurity. Weird, right? Especially considering the NDX hasn't pulled into the station for a while. In any case, Pushmo is a pretty great puzzle game and I hope it's a sign of what's to come on the e-shop. On the other hand, Intelligent Systems should probably get back to making Fire Emblem games (AND ACTUALLY RELEASE THEM IN NORTH AMERICA HINT HINT).

8. Terraria

It's maybe a bit weird how much I enjoy Terraria considering my general apathy towards Minecraft, but I guess Terraria is more of a game? Maybe?

9. Dungeons of Dredmor

Having never played a Rouge-like before, Dungeons of Dredmor was surprisingly easy to get into and enjoy. And enjoy it I did.

10. Dark Souls

Fuck this game... It is pretty good, though.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#145  Edited By OneManX

Everything about Saints Row 3 speaks to everything I like about games. It's loud, noisy, abbrasive, and it doesnt appologize for any of it. And that is what I like. The games starts crazy and ends, crazier if that was even a thing. While most games try to do toilet humor and dick jokes and they mostly fall on their face, (I'm staring daggers into you Duke Nukem), SR3 (Saints Row 3) does this surprisngly well And this si suplimented by good writing, good voice actiong and most imprtantly, a fun game. And that is what it boils down to, Saints Row: Thei Third is the most dfun, I had playing a game this year. Weither it was basejumping out of a Vitol Jet, doing DDTs to random pedestrians, singning along to Sublime in the car, or just wrecking havoc in Steelport, Saints Row: The Third created a smile that was near impossible to wipe away from my face.

2. Mortal Kombat

This year was the year of fighting games for me. I picked up Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Thrid Strike, and King of Fighters, none of them hooked me like Mortal Kombat did. Probably the game just offered more outside of the box, than just basic two gusy fight to the death. It presented a Story Mode that needs to be recongnized to show that fighting games can have a deep, fun story, and the transition from fight to cutscene to fight again, is still amazing. The fighting itself is easy for anyone to get into, and takes a bit to master. Learning the basic isn't enough to be good at this game. Learning what can hit into what, and how to keep combos going is what adds a layer of complexity that matches what you see in other fighting games, but easier to learn in this one. Toss in a 300 Level Challenge and some of the best character DLC to boast, and it's hard to argue that Mortal Kombat isn't a total package of a game.

3. Bastion

“Games as art”, is a discuasion I never put too much stock in, but even after just completing the first few missions, it was easy to see that Bastion is a game worthy to be called art. From the look of the world, to the music, to the narrator explaining what was going on in the world and the Calamity did to it. Bastion is a game that goes above and beyond most downloadable games. But this games stands above its looks, it plays exceptionally well. From adding the ability to play with many weapon/tonic combos its possible for two people to play the game in virtually different ways. Every option is a viable one, and it's a choice that you dont see in many bigger budget games. Bastion stands as one of the few download-only games, that I would gladly pay a full 60 bucks for.

4. Assassin's Creed: Revelations

4. It's easy to just write-off Revelations as another Assassin's game, and for the most part, you'd be right. Revelations doesn't do much to change up the formula from what made Brotherhood great. If Brotherhood, broke the mold to Assassin's Creed games, Revelations adds some slight touches here and there to it. But what does seem like a great improvement is the Multiplayer. While still keeping the cat-and-mouse gameplay from the last game, Revelations adds more to make combat more fun. By upping the speed, now more defensive players can quickly identify their pursuers and get a quick stun on them, while it was in brotherhood, by makign the prompt pop up just a second adds an entire new level of stratdgy. From new abilities to new modes, this is the best version of the Assassin's Creed multiplayer yet, and while the single player does nothing new, it is still to run around the world and interact with the various characters. While it doesn't do anything to break the mold, Revelations, follows the formula and improves it.

5. Batman: Arkham City

Yo... Batman. I know it's not a proper way to say things, but yo, you're Batman. And being Batman is pretty cool. You fight crime, you sdtrike fear into your enemies, and you can take down a group of enemies, without even breaking a sweat. And the best thing about Arkham City is that is captures all of this in the game. You feel cool, when you pic apart a gang of about 10 guys as you systematically pick them apart with counters and smart use of your gadgets. The game captures everything good about Arkham Asylum and makes it bigger, and makes it better. By giving Batman a bigger world to run around in, it makes getting around it just as fun as you glide, zip, and swoop your way through the city. Everything in this game, just makes you feel like a complete hero... You. Are. Batman.

6. inFamous 2
7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
8. L.A. Noire
9. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
10. WWE '12
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#147  Edited By ThePickle

GOTY 2011

The games I enjoyed the most (out of the ones I played!) in the year 2011. I decided to pad out the list with a bunch of other ones so it's a nice even 10. They are in order of how much I liked them. This is a tentative list. The games must have been released in the year twenty-eleven.

Games I haven't played but kinda want to and kinda feel like would make the list:

Rayman: Origins

The Witcher 2 (don't have a PC, let alone one that could run it. I envy PC gamers more than anything)

Saints Row: The Third

Batman: Arkham City

inFamous 2

1. Portal 2

Playing Portal 2 is constant enjoyment. There was never a moment of unearned frustration or annoyance. It's perfect. Not near perfect, not "nothing is perfect" perfect, it is pure perfection. Addictive, hilarious, inventive, and very original.

2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

There's nothing a deep, customizable, expansive, beautiful, and enjoyable as this game this year.

3. Iron Brigade

Blasting the hell out of TV monsters, in and out of multiplayer, was always fun. Also, salutes. Half salutes, rapid fire salutes, slo-mo salutes, this game has it all. Trenched is probably the most fun I had with a game in 2011. EDIT: IT WILL ALWAYS BE TRENCHED FUCK YOU EUROPEAN ASSHOLES.

4. Bastion

The coolest game of 2011. The combat just moved. It flowed better than any game this year. The narration is amazing. It's cool hearing people say things in Bastion. It's cool doing things in Bastion. It's cool looking at Bastion.

5. L.A. Noire

Snazzy suits, murder, hats getting shot off, impecable facial animation, and hand manipulation. This game has it all, and does it with amazing style.

6. Catherine

Puzzle gameplay is addictive and challenging, style is impressive, and story is something unseen in games before. The social aspects are much better here than in Persona 4. An unprecedented look and feel for a video game. Only problem I have are the bosses. Fuck those bosses. I also should say I like this game a whole lot less after beating it. Atlus should just stop trying to do multiple endings.

7. Puzzle Agent 2

Puzzles were much more devious but the great humor and voice acting remained. For fans of the genre, this is a video game. Fans of Puzzle Agent rejoice.

8. LittleBigPlanet 2

Surprisingly, the thing I enjoyed about this game the most was the level creator. The story was boring and frustrating. It was seemingly designed to prevent you from enjoying the creator. And not all of the levels were winners (like 99.99%). But hot damn creating levels is a butt load of fun-fun-fun!

9. Mortal Kombat

The simplicity of the execution means this is a game about strategy more than who can input ridiculous button combinations the fastest.

10. Shaq Fu

TEMP.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@ThatFrood:  Thank you for this! Just sent my username and I put numbers instead of A and E, is that cool?
Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#150  Edited By Czarpyotr

Honorable Mentions:

The Witcher 2: I just got this game with my new computer, and it looks gorgeous and has the best third person combat I've played in a game. Unfortunately, I have not had time to beat it or get far enough in to put it on the list.

Battlefield 3: This game looks and plays amazing on my PC, but I put over 100 hours into Bad Company 2, which was so similar it just didn't feel right to take up a spot on my list with BF3. However, I still think this series has perfected large scale shooter combat, and I am sure to pour many more hours into it over the next couple years.

Dragon Age 2: Dragon Age 2 had the best story of the year for me, with characters that I ended up caring about a lot by the end of the game. Sadly, they rushed it out and sent the player to the same 5 or 6 dungeons for most of the 50 hour game, so I don't think it deserves a spot on the list. However, I enjoyed the combat much more than Dragon Age Origins, and I have thoroughly enjoyed both sets of DLC for the game.

Congrats to all the developers of the games on my list, I know you all worked really hard to impress me this year.

1. Shadows of the Damned

Shadows of the Damned is one of the most bizzarre games I have ever played. It manages to pair up relatively standard third person shooter mechanics with a totally insane world filled with nasty enemies, creepy crying baby heads that you feed fruit to open doors, and goats that you shoot in the face to create pockets of light in the hell you must traverse through. The soundtrack is one of the best I have ever heard in a videogame due to the way it perfectly backs up the specific situations you end up in throughout the game. The voice acting and translation were fantastic and hilarious throughout, and I found myself pretty genuinely creeped out whenever Garcias girlfriend showed up to be tortured in front of him. Your gun (aptly named "Johnson") floats around as a skull next to you in cutscenes, and has some excellently written dialogue with a pitch perfect voice acting performance. I can't wait to see what Suda 51 and company have coming next.

2. Rayman: Origins

Playing this game with my friends provided the most pure fun of any game I played this year. The animation is both adorable and funny as hell. Perfect checkpointing eliminated frustration and kept me retrying sections until I got them down. I really hope people end up checking this game out despite its lack of marketing support and poorly chosen release window. (This game has a killer soundtrack as well.)

3. Iron Brigade

Another purely fun experience. Playing this game with all 4 players and going for all of the gold medals was a blast. It wasn't terribly funny, but that wasn't really the point. Really addicting game systems and awesome loot kept me sitting and playing this game for hours without moving.

4. Portal 2

From the best set of characters of the year, to the amazing voice acting by all involved (particularly Stephen Merchant as Wheatly) this game could have made an amazing CG movie without any game at all. As it happens, Portal 2 manages to create dozens of mind bending puzzles with genius new mechanics that add a whole new layer of depth to original games formula. The subtle story nuggets hidden throughout the world really bring players down the rabbit hole that is aperture science, and the humour manages to be hilarious throughout while maintaing that same level of subtlety itself.

5. Gears of War 3

As someone who actively disliked Gears 1 and 2, I had already written this game off before it came out. As it happened, this game ended up having a fantastic third act to its story that took out most of the bro-ey shit and terrible writing of the first two games. The four player co op campaign is colorful and varied, providing constantly changing combat scenarios with different enemy types throughout. Horde mode is one of the best co-op experiences of the year, and Beast mode is a fantastic experimental addition to the formula. Most important of all, the multiplayer seems to have finally found a near perfect balance, allowing for skilled players to shine with mid range rifles or shot guns, all depending on play style. Dedicated servers and dramatically varied maps provide for a technically sound and tactically engaging experience, that is easily my favorite competitive multiplayer mode of the year. Oh, and the graphics are still beautiful, but this time they are complimented by bright colors and well lit areas rather than grey and brown slop that made up most of the first two games.

6. Bastion

I can't make good sentences to accurately paint a picture of this game, so here are the bullets: -Beautiful painterly art style -My favorite game soundtrack of they year (the only game soundtrack I have gone out of my way to purchase and listen to) -A unique world and powerful emotional story that does not feel heavy handed at all -Dynamic combat that constantly changes as you are given new weapons in almost every level -A satisfying new game plus that adds even more value to the already low price of $15 -A sauve sounding narration of all your actions that adjusts depending on how you play the game.

7. Catherine

Catherine is a really weird game. The story manages to hit home for anyone who has been in a long term relationship, and the characters dialogue is usually interesting and believable. Paired with all this well done story telling and crazy japanese ghost fiction, is a very unique (and hard as hell) block climbing puzzle game, where your character must outrun horrific representations of his real life fears while climbing up a block tower in his underwear. The puzzles start throwing new mechanics at you, all while expecting you to climb at an insanely fast paced. Despite some major flaws in the camera controls (or lack thereof) and some occasional flubs in story telling, I love this game because I have never played anything like it, and probably never will again. Any game that can cause me to seriously reflect on my life to the degree this game did easily earns a spot on my list.

Another game that many people doubted up until its release, Deus Ex was following up one of the most beloved PC franchises of all time. What we ended up getting was an antithesis to the current on rails game design of today. Every single area had dozens of different choices and paths decide on, and except for some crappy bosses, the game allowed you to play whatever type of character you want. The world was convincing and frightening, and went with a grungy cyberpunk aesthetic that you don't see too often in the current slough of modern military shooters and generic sci-fi fantasy games released in recent years. From the excellent combat and stealth mechanics to the morally ambiguous story, Deus Ex: Human Revolution left me excited to see whatever eidos montreal has coming our way next.

9. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

I have purchased every Zelda game since A Link to the Past, and I have never finished a single one outside of OoT. I love the world, but the dungeon mechanics just never manage to keep me engaged for the duration of the adventures. From the heart warming art style, to the best soundtrack in any of the Zelda adventures, to the really satisfying and clever dungeon design, this game kept me excited and engaged throughout most of the adventure. The low position on the list comes as a result of the stubborn Nintendo designers who force experienced players to waste hours on a boring tutorial at the start of the game, and add literally dozens of extra hours with trivial collectathons and travel distances. It is a shame the best dungeons Zelda has ever seen ended up being paired with some of the worst world exploration in the series. All in all though, this game still puts a smile on face and never does enough wrong to stop me from really loving it as a whole.

10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Despite the awkward character animations, this game manages to suck you into its world more than almost any other. My time spent in the Thieves Guild provided some of the coolest story moments I have taken part in, and this is just one of the many sub-plots the game contains. I felt like a fantasy mobster running around and collecting tolls and sending threats to people all over Skyrim on behalf of the guild. By the end of the game, I will also get to feel like a crazy wizard, a dark brotherhood assassin, and a kick ass dragon slayer. This game might not be my favorite of the year, but the sheer scope and story variety within nabs Skyrim my final spot on my competitive 2011 list.