serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By serbsta

No Caption Provided

The majority of the members here are very familiar with the union system over at Game Spot. Although it was left to rot (and still is), it presented a unique opportunity where the community can be divided into a system where there could be hundreds, even thousands of self-sustaining community groups. Unions allowed the true personalities of the community to be shown in all their glory!

But the system failed.

Why can't we have a similar system over here at Giant Bomb? Dont get me wrong, this is in no way trying to mimic GS or any of its features, for all we know its an age old idea which was just adjusted. Giant Bomb should have its own system of Leagues. For example: Levio91 would create the Hip-Hop Unlimited League where all fellow Hip-Hop lovers would come to share their opinions on the subject. Lies might have his own Majestic Halo League where he and his fellow members would talk about everything Halo related.

Each League would have its own forum board, league announcements, image sharing, competitions, wiki collaborations, news, etc. It could expand even more with the very talented developers from Whiskey, the new profile system just looks damn impressive and if that's possible then who knows what else is.

Positives:
- The forum boards (especially the General and Off-Topic boards) would become less cluttered. This system would allow for more organization.
- Members would develop a greater sense of belonging to the Giant Bomb community as they would have their own special place within their league(s).
- If done properly it would defintly increase ratings to the site as a whole.
- It would provide for more marketing oppurtunities.

Negatives:
- I am unaware of the specifics but i assume this wouldnt be cheap to develop.
- Levio would be angry as he wont be here.

So, to narrow it down:

If you would like to see Giant Bomb have its own League system implemented for the benefit of the community and the website itself, say AYE!

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Endogene

If i remember correctly Jeff said on one of the podcasts that he did not want to separate the community plus i'm not sure that we are enough active members to really make meaning ful. Doubt we will see it anytime soon if at all.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By serbsta

I see, well i wouldn't really call it 'splitting' in the negative sense of the word.

Just a proposal. *shrugs*

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Endogene

It would have been really cool if it could happen and work, perhaps when GB becomes the point of reference for all games in the word (which we know will happen ^^) it could be implemented. It definitely is something i would care to see in the future.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By serbsta
Endogene said:
"It would have been really cool if it could happen and work, perhaps when GB becomes the point of reference for all games in the word (which we know will happen ^^) it could be implemented. It definitely is something i would care to see in the future."
Glad we agree. Future is key here, im not expecting anything soon. :)
Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

levio!!! WHERE ART THOU!?!

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Karmum

I could see it working for things like Bombing Runs, and the community podcasts. Perhaps clans, too, but I don't think the community is strong enough to support these so called "leagues."

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I think the community is too small to be able to sustain a union-like system at the moment. Perhaps the ability for users to create a custom forum board would be more suitable for now.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By c1337us

I am sure that the idea could be put to a positive outcome. But I am instinctively against it as I have seen how they have failed to work in a lot of cases first hand over at gamespot.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By mattbodega

I think it's the idea that Giant Bomb doesn't want to segment the Giant Bomb audience. Ultimately, the "union" promotes factions and further divides users into sharded groups. The Giant Bomb Community proper is pretty receptive to whatever weird/crazy/passionate interests you already have, and there are already ways on the site for you to try and "define" yourself(dominating a Wiki page, adding/answering mad trivia questions, writing crazy blogs) that there doesn't really need to be any physical, intrusive ways for a user to try and carve out their niche.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By albedos_shadow
MattBodega said:
"I think it's the idea that Giant Bomb doesn't want to segment the Giant Bomb audience. Ultimately, the "union" promotes factions and further divides users into sharded groups. The Giant Bomb Community proper is pretty receptive to whatever weird/crazy/passionate interests you already have, and there are already ways on the site for you to try and "define" yourself(dominating a Wiki page, adding/answering mad trivia questions, writing crazy blogs) that there doesn't really need to be any physical, intrusive ways for a user to try and carve out their niche."
Exactly.
ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By ThomasP

I don't like the idea of unions or leagues. It separates the community IMO.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By tekmojo
ThomasP said:
"I don't like the idea of unions or leagues. It separates the community IMO."
I somewhat agree. I just have a bitter taste of that union crap over at gamespot. If they could get it to work without disrupting the community too much, then it might be worthwhile.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Hamz

Personally I would object to seeing something like this appear on the site. It would just split and fracture the community into little groups and factions similar to a school playground and that is the opposite of what we have and want to continue to achieve here at GiantBomb.

It wouldn't ease the pressure on General Discussion or Off Topic either because both those boards are under no pressure at the moment. What they are experiencing is activity and attention from the community which is exactly what we want people to do. It might seem like they are cluttered but thats because people are forgetting they can post about specific things in a special board on every Wiki page if the subject they wish to discuss has an entry in the Wiki Databas.

Not to mention adding 'Leagues' means more work for what is a relatively small crew of engineers working on three websites and maybe more in the future and it creates extra work and problems for the current Moderators as well.

If anything what I'd love to see is a community page, much like in Brukaoru's mock up, where the community can come together to organise and advertise community events instead of having it limited to those people who are members of specific groups. Essentially what we want is what we have now but bigger and better, a community that is glued together, involved and working alongside each other. Not to have them split apart and working in different directions.

So no I'd say adding 'Leagues' or 'Unions' would be a bad idea and have more of a negative effect across the whole site than a positive one. And I'm not so sure how you can say adding them would increase marketing either. The unions at Gamespot don't generate any income, so not sure how that would be any different here.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Vinchenzo

Just wanted to throw in a minor annoyance I had with unions. That would be getting random invites from people to join their crappy union. Also, I hate the concept of a union.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#16  Edited By citizenkane

Giant Bomb is not a big enough website to be able to sustain unions without splitting up the community.  It would only put more of a work load on only about a dozen or so guys.  If Giant Bomb ever becomes a super site(we all hope GB becomes as successful was they want it to be) with a bigger staff, than maybe they can work.  But as of right now, I think it would be too much for for too little of a reward.  We should think of alternative ideas.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By OmegaPirate

But how many interesting people have we met just through being in one giant place!!! Imagine if unions were there from th word go, some of you may never have met levios!

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By serbsta

I get what everyone is saying and i can see why. I hope in the future something similar, if at all part of this, gets implemented into the site.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#19  Edited By citizenkane
serbsta said:
"I get what everyone is saying and i can see why. I hope in the future something similar, if at all part of this, gets implemented into the site."
There are a lot of things that we all want to see eventually be implemented onto Giant Bomb, but we have to realize which ones are plausible right now and which ones have to wait for some other time.  Keep thinking of new ideas, though.  Nobody is going to discourage that.  We want everyone to think of ideas they want to see come to fruition on Giant Bomb.  It's what this place is all about!