Greatest Game This Generation Remains in Oblivion...

hodkurtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hodkurtz

I challenge you to find a more believable game world than this.

There are so many reasons why people play games.  To have fun.  To escape from reality for a short time (or long time).  To imagine and/or live in another world.  To see a great story.  To have a ton of fun fighting and kicking ass.  To marvel at amazing graphics.  The list goes on and on.

As we approach November of this New Year, we will also be approaching the four year anniversary of this generation of consoles.  Yes, hard to believe, but it's almost already been four years since the debut of the Xbox 360.

Countless great titles have released of all different genres imaginable.  Yet three years after it's debut, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion still remains the single most outstanding, definitive, and complete game of this generation.

I know it may seem curious as to why I would be writing a blog about a game that's three years old.  Perhaps it is because while most of the gaming world saw 2008 as one of the greatest gaming years in a long time, I found it to be rather disappointing.  All the major titles that released with huge hype ended up falling well short of expectations.  GTA4 had clear story and gameplay inconsistencies, along with blatantly broken sandbox mechanics when it came to missions disabling you from completing the mission your own way.  Metal Gear Solid 4 was an example of how to take a great build up of grand story ideas and then run them through a meat grinder and see if people can still make any sense of it (that, and the game wasn't really a game).  Fallout 3 took everything that made the Elder Scrolls series great, and shaved off all the icing and toppings, leaving only the dry bread of the cake for us to have trouble swallowing.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Karmum

The combat was terrible, it wasn't graphically spectacular then, and isn't now. The quests were linear, and it felt boring in general. Did I mention it was boring? I will give it the fact that it had alot of stuff to do, ranging from battling in the Arena to buying houses, but nothing revolutionary. Everything looked the same (face animation and character wise)

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Morrowind was the best game last gen, Oblivion isn't best this gen.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince

Assassin's Creed looks much better with a far more realistic world.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Bulldog19892
hodkurtz said:
"

"
Grand Theft Auto 4. Done.

While I would agree that Oblivion was more fun than GTAIV, you'd be hard pressed to find a game world that lives and breathes as GTAIV's does.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I have to very strongly disagree. Oblivion is loaded with problems. All I've gotten out of Oblivion is a headache and a whole lot of frustration. I wish I could like Oblivion, I really do. I'll probably start over from scratch within the next few months, since currently I'm screwed and pretty much can't play it. Kinda cute that it's supposed to be open-ended but if you turn bad straight from the outset, you're ultimately screwed.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

hodkurtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hodkurtz

Grand Theft Auto 4 did not have as believable world as many give it credit for.  Yes, the city itself looked amazing, but when you really got into it, there wasn't a whole lot of substance to it, and very little interaction.  Even though it's a big city, you can only enter a handful of buildings, while the rest are just illusions.  As for the game world, it tries to be a sandbox, but the missions require you to complete them the way they were designed, and you can't deviate from that formula (ie block a doorway with a car, only to see the car disappear after the cutscene, or shooting the tires of the car you are chasing, but the tires won't pop until the mission deems that you have gone far enough in the chase).

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By JoelTGM

I enjoyed Morrowind and the expansions, and I enjoyed the hell out of Oblivion too.  Bethesda actually puts effort into making their games amazing.

Woffls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Woffls
Bulldog19892 said:
"hodkurtz said:

Grand Theft Auto 4. Done.
  In Oblivion there are people who have lives other than the story characters, and you interact with them beyond the extent of " Oh, here's some dude I don't know, what should I kill him with?". The interaction with the world was much more shallow than people claim. The buildings still serve no purpose other than being another place to kill people or to go bowling with your CAAZAN.

Oblivion felt like you were a part of the world, not controlling some lunatic with seemingly no motivation besides revenge, but apparantly he wants things to be different, but he needs money so does naughty things /o\ OH N0eS11! Honestly, It felt like every other GTA game except the driving and shooting is spot on and awesome.

But, I don't think Oblivion is the best game this generation. This right is reserved for Super Mario Galaxy.
mcrproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mcrproductions

AreKarmum said:

"The combat was terrible, it wasn't graphically spectacular then, and isn't now. The quests were linear, and it felt boring in general. Did I mention it was boring? I will give it the fact that it had alot of stuff to do, ranging from battling in the Arena to buying houses, but nothing revolutionary. Everything looked the same (face animation and character wise)"
Are you kidding me?! The graphics weren't spectacular? What were you playing the game on a Pentium III (I know thats not possible)? The Xbox 360 game was a technological feat to say the least, and though some may see it as boring that is completely matter of opinion. So, I'm sorry you don't like it. Sucks for you, but Oblivion really was/is a great game. Not the best ever, but we can at least acknowledge that it looked spectacular in March of 2006.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#12  Edited By citizenkane
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I agree. The Elder Scrolls IV is still my favorite game so far this gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mcrproductions said:
"AreKarmum said:
"The combat was terrible, it wasn't graphically spectacular then, and isn't now. The quests were linear, and it felt boring in general. Did I mention it was boring? I will give it the fact that it had alot of stuff to do, ranging from battling in the Arena to buying houses, but nothing revolutionary. Everything looked the same (face animation and character wise)"
Are you kidding me?! The graphics weren't spectacular? What were you playing the game on a Pentium III (I know thats not possible)? The Xbox 360 game was a technological feat to say the least, and though some may see it as boring that is completely matter of opinion. So, I'm sorry you don't like it. Sucks for you, but Oblivion really was/is a great game. Not the best ever, but we can at least acknowledge that it looked spectacular in March of 2006."

The engine was poorly optimized. My computer runs Fallout 3 smoothly, and Oblivion still stutters (after my recent upgrade). I hear the performance on the 360 is comparable. The bloom was overdone, the art was generic, and I can't stand the plastic wrap. Technically it was an achievement at the time, but stylistically it looks bad, in my view.
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Randolph

It looks great, it's big, but it's also incredibly shallow.  Especially in comparison to Morrowind.  It was just far too streamlined for it's own good.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By AndrewGaspar
Bellum said:
"mcrproductions said:
"AreKarmum said:
Are you kidding me?! The graphics weren't spectacular? What were you playing the game on a Pentium III (I know thats not possible)? The Xbox 360 game was a technological feat to say the least, and though some may see it as boring that is completely matter of opinion. So, I'm sorry you don't like it. Sucks for you, but Oblivion really was/is a great game. Not the best ever, but we can at least acknowledge that it looked spectacular in March of 2006."

The engine was poorly optimized. My computer runs Fallout 3 smoothly, and Oblivion still stutters (after my recent upgrade). I hear the performance on the 360 is comparable. The bloom was overdone, the art was generic, and I can't stand the plastic wrap. Technically it was an achievement at the time, but stylistically it looks bad, in my view."
The PlayStation 3 was problem-less for the most part. The frame-rate chugged at points, but besides that it was fine.
mcrproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mcrproductions

After they patched the 360 version there is little slow down. I was playing it just the other day and it looks fine, better than some recent shitty RPG's (Dark Messiah comes to mind), it is also a huge help if you install it to your Hard Drive. Oblivion has little style, I agree, but I don't demand my world to have much style when it is the biggest universe I've ever played. Oblivion did have it's issues though and at times I did get bored with it. Still doesnt destroy the fact that when it was released it was technically speaking, gorgeous.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but I don't demand my world to have much style when it is the biggest universe I've ever played.

Daggerfall was many times bigger. The game was also crap, in my book, though it does have a small following that will disagree. Morrowind was slightly smaller, yet better. Far Cry 2, also huge, has better performance with better graphics, and it sucks much more cock than Oblivion could ever hope to achieve. The size of a game world does not equate to the quality of a game, in my opinion.
jimbojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jimbojones

Best western role playing game easily :] 

Best game this generation? Definatly up there

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pause422
Bulldog19892 said:
"hodkurtz said:
"

Yep, I definitely couldn't imagine a more real game world than just a bunch of trees and grass taking up 70% of the world between the few same templates for dungeons over and over again. Definitely not.....
mcrproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mcrproductions
Bellum said:
"
but I don't demand my world to have much style when it is the biggest universe I've ever played.

Daggerfall was many times bigger. The game was also crap, in my book, though it does have a small following that will disagree. Morrowind was slightly smaller, yet better. Far Cry 2, also huge, has better performance with better graphics, and it sucks much more cock than Oblivion could ever hope to achieve. The size of a game world does not equate to the quality of a game, in my opinion."
I agree. But that was not the point I was making. I was saying it lacked graphical style because it was such a big game. Not that it being a big game made it the greatest game of all time, but only that it doesnt need as much style when they are just trying to give an enormous sense of scale.
Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sushbag

For any game to be considered as the best of a console generation, the game basically needs to be perfect. It can have no serious flaws, it has to be something you can sit down with and from start to finish just say, "Damn that was a phenomenally well made game from top to bottom."

Sadly you can't say that for Oblivion, no matter who you are. You can only assert that Oblivion's strengths are greater than its weaknesses, and that's not good enough. For my money the best overall console game this generation would be Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, with MGS4, Dead Space, and a few others coming close.

hodkurtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hodkurtz

Replying to Sushbag:

First off, I would definitely say that if perfection is what you are after, Metal Gear Solid 4 would be the antithesis.  Being a longtime Metal Gear fan, there's no question that from a storytelling perspective, Guns of the Patriots was a complete failure, from top to bottom.  To accept its story means that you have to ignore every giant plothole, every character and story inconsistency, and every missed opportunity that Kojima did not take to his advantage.  Instead of writing a long blog about it, I will just list several of those moments:  Raiden is killed multiple times, but somehow is okay later (body parts quickly sewn back on).  Meryl saying she wants a classic wedding, then 2 mins later gets married on a runway.  Meryl and fiance get shot up in one of the final scenes, nearly to death, only to be without injury a few scenes later getting married.  Big Boss is still alive, and Snake does not kill himself.  Ocelot wasn't really partially Liquid, he just had trained himself to believe he was, for no significant reason.  Meryl has no love for Snake anymore, for no reason (doesn't care that he's dying, just leaves him off on his own while she gets married).

As for the other two games you mentioned, I would agree that both are solid titles, with nothing you could really point to as mechanical problems.  From technical standpoints, they're very polished.  However, what makes a game the greatest of its generation isn't if it's flawless technically, otherwise you could simply make a simple remake of Tetris and say "hey, it's flawless technically, therefore it's the best game of this generation."  The question of a games greatness comes in the way it moves the medium forward, and goes a step further in immersing the player, and creating a believeable, and organic game world, with believable characters and sense of place.  Most importantly, all of the elements of the game (story, graphics, sound, gameplay) all must come together to serve the greater purpose of the game.

A very close second to Oblivion would be Bioshock, which also melded gameplay, story, and art style into a singular purpose, and definitely broke new ground in the ways of first-person storytelling.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The question of a games greatness comes in the way it moves the medium forward, and goes a step further in immersing the player, and creating a believeable, and organic game world, with believable characters and sense of place.  Most importantly, all of the elements of the game (story, graphics, sound, gameplay) all must come together to serve the greater purpose of the game.

^
Does not describe Oblivion.
LegioXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LegioXIII

Opinions are like assholes: everyone has one, and some want to shove it into your face more then others.

Fact: There is no "greatest game ever". It's all opinion.

Fallacy: "Greatest Game This Generation Remains In Oblivion..."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

everyone has one, and some want to shove it into your face more then others.

There are people out there who enjoy that kind of thing.
coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By coakroach

Meh.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jayge_
jimbojones said:
"Best western role playing game easily :]
You're a console-only man, aren't you.
granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29  Edited By granderojo
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
This game was more appealing to the eyes IMO and was actually fun to play, as for a believable world, I hear heavy rain is going to have some of the most realistic crying ever in a video game, sounds fucking spectacular *Rolls eyes.*

I don't need my games to look believable to be fun or look good for that matter, it's a game, it should play and look like one.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gizmo

Patrick Stewart was awesome in Elder Scrolls.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31  Edited By kush

I don't think Oblivion is anywhere near the "greatest" game of this generation. I don't even think Oblivion surpassed Morrowind in most cases. My personal favorite game of this generation has been Bioshock and I have a hard time believing another game will come along to change that...maybe Deus Ex 3 will surprise me beyond belief.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By atejas

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!
NOBODY BREAKS THE LAW ON MY WATCH! I'VE CONFISCATED YOUR STOLEN GOODS. NOW PAY YOUR FINE OR IT'S OFF TO JAIL!

THEN PAY WITH YOUR BLOOD!

Woffls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Woffls

Oh hang on, Oblivion had Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart in it didn't it?

Ok, greatest game ever.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bullet_Jr

Oblivion was an amazing game but I'll disagree on the basis of personal preference.

The greatest game of this generation is EA's Skate, IMO. 8 more days and we'll see if the sequel can't take the crown.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By Chummy8

Oblivion was a great game, but Fallout 3 is better.  Fallout 3 isn't even the best fallout game in the franchise and it isn't the best of this current generation either.  Hope that helps.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pibo47

I love Oblivion. I still play it. Damn good game.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#37  Edited By Icemael

Fallout 3 is better. Dead Space is better. The World Ends With You is better. Don't get me wrong - Oblivion is a great game, but nowhere near the best one this generation. At least not in my opinion.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By AuthenticM

Morrowind was better.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Cirdain
Arkthemaniac said:
"Morrowind was the best game last gen, Oblivion isn't best this gen."

agreed
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hexpane
hodkurtz said:
"

"
No thanks, I don't like advertblogging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woffls said:
"Oh hang on, Oblivion had Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart in it didn't it?

Ok, greatest game ever."

They killed Patrick Stewart off in the first few minutes of play.