Has there been a game that has been badly received..

mastertarvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By mastertarvin

Too Human, I'm always a sucker for games with loot.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#102  Edited By Red

There are some Dragonball Z games I really like. I probably put over 60 hours into Budokai Tenkaichi 2, and played through the GBA Beat 'em Ups multiple times each. I also remember a lot of people hating on Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon, but I remember having a total blast with that game, namely because I could finally be a fliggin pokemon.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Dixego said:

@xobballox: I remember doing that too. It was totally worth it. Also, killing agents when you weren't supposed to.

Yeah, I just wish the katana stayed in your inventory after entering that. I had to put that cheat in so many times...

And yeah, I always killed the agents, it was extremely fun.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By spartanlolz92

@RazielCuts said:

Mirror's Edge, people hated the combat and they were right to, it shouldn't of been in there at all but the parkour first person free running was just great.

i really wouldve liked it if it was actual races. like imagine mp with that itd be insane

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Grimhild

@xobballox:

I think From Software passed on the Tenchu development back to Acquire after they made Z. From Software is just the publisher now, so who can say.

EDIT: Yup, for sure. Tenchu has always be one of my favorite IP's that seemed to get run out before it's time.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Grimhild said:

@xobballox:

I think From Software passed on the Tenchu development back to Acquire after they made Z. From Software is just the publisher now, so who can say.

Oh, I see. Never-the-less, I hope we get a good console/PC Tenchu game sometime; preferably soonish.

Bruh_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#108  Edited By Bruh_Man

Yo, Bruh Man neva played a vida game like dat.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#109  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Would L.A. Noire count? It got a lot of crap well after the fact, and I've noticed it's not too popular among users in this community.

Nevertheless, I appreciated it a bunch. There was a fresh, unique aspect to conducting the investigations where the mechanics behind communicating and being able to meter the reactions of those you were speaking with were pretty innovative. I also especially appreciated the narrative -- even including its resolution -- considering it was based on the noire genre, which I was very familiar with.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#110  Edited By shiftymagician

@Sbaitso said:

@ShiftyMagician: Hey man, I was just joking. Take a chill pill. Hell, I put down kane & lynch. The things you day about Duke are things I feel about Kane & Lynch Dead Men. So yes, I do find it possible to get enjoyment out of things other people don't like so much.

Apologies. I am never 100% sure whether or not a statement is out of humour, sarcasm, seriousness or other. However I didn't intend my response to sound aggressive and warrant a chill pill hehehe.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#111  Edited By Chris2KLee

Monster Hunter is a game I have dumped a ton of time into, and was never particularly loved (at least in the West).

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#112  Edited By Monkeyman04

I'm gonna have to go with either Duke Nukem Forever or Alpha Protocol.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Feanor

FF7

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Saboteur, Alpha Protocol, and the first Kane and Lynch.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#115  Edited By me3639

Bad game? I would say Hunted Demons Forge.

Games that gets no respect but is pretty good IMO? DA2

Those of you that keep putting Alpha Protocol are crazy. Yes, it had some great ideas, but i would never play that busted p.o.s. again.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#116  Edited By Hunter5024

A lot of the games people are saying like Alpha Protocol, Brutal Legend, Nier and such weren't really poorly recieved, just not universally praised. Divisive games, not games that were considered bad.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#117  Edited By Yummylee
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Vodun

Too many to mention, which is why I lose a lot of money on Steam sales because I'm willing to give most anything a go once even if it's been talked down.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By NTM

I'm not sure I'd say hours and hours, but a game at the time of its release that I really enjoyed and hoped and kind of still hope there's a sequel for would be Advent Rising. On Xbox it had some terrible frame-rate problems, and I know there were a lot more problems with it, but none I was quite as concerned with as I am now with problems in game. Then I just did care, but most recently (which isn't necessarily recent) when I played it on PC, I still really liked what I liked about it, but the problems, though not quite as prevalent on PC, bothered me. I guess the game play isn't quite up to snuff anymore. With all that said though, I still really enjoyed that game at the time of its release and for about a month, it was one of my favorite games. Also, the original Killzone, I loved that game. I think the major weakness to it though from a critical stand-point was that it had too many technical flaws, but to me the artist aspect of it made me not care that much. I think that's about it. Oh, and I enjoyed the Battlefield 3 campaign.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Rotnac

Alrighty, here goes... in no particular order:

• C&C Renegade (PC) - Oddly, the only C&C game that ever interested me. The campaign was forgettable but I probably spent hundreds of hours playing the multiplayer.
  • Cyborg Justice (Genesis) - Fond memories with this one playing cooperatively. Versus mode was alright too, i guess.
  • Deus Ex: Invisible War (Xbox Version) - As someone who is an avid fan of the original Deus Ex, I was still able to enjoy this game (on the Xbox version at least) enough to warrant several playthroughs. Complaints about universal ammo and somewhat linear progression among other things are justified. It still had some neat ideas though, like being able to have more than one of the same type of weapon with each one modded differently (a shotgun that silently dissolves glass? yes, please!). Once you overlook what this game does wrong or isn't, it's pretty easy to have fun and get into it.
  • DoA: Xtreme Beach Volleyball (Xbox) - Yes, there are bewbs in the game but take that out and you still get a mechanically responsive volleyball game that's easy to pick up and play. Sadly, I can't say the same with Xtreme 2... bleh.
  • Starcraft 64 - I still think this game/port was better for its time than what Halo Wars was for the 360. Being able to unlock Brood War by putting in an Expansion Pak in my N64 blew my mind in pretty much the same way Sonic & Knuckles had its "lock-on technology". Plus, some multiplayer maps that used the "Use Map Settings" gametype were suited perfectly for local coop.
  • WWF RAW (Xbox) - To this day I still find it hard to wrap my mind around the fact that this (and DOA3) was the game that sold me on an Xbox. Yep...
  • Tanarus (PC) - Probably still my all-time favourite Tank warfare game ever, plus it was free to play! Before Sony decided to stamp a $15 monthly fee for a couple of years for whatever reason, this was probably the go-to game for me at the time. Phoenix Wars and Force Wars modes especially contributed to the good times. I've yet to find a game to fill that void (suggestions, anyone?). I'm pretty sure that it's free to play again but the online community has moved on to other things last time i checked. The idea of a Tanarus TNT would be pretty awesome though!
  • Rush 2 (N64) - Stunt Mode. 'Nuff said.
  • Gauntlet Legends (N64) - Probably due to this being the first Gauntlet game i was exposed to, I always had a ton of fun playing this and could never understand the hate.
  • Clayfighter 63 1/3 (N64) - Mortal Kombat it is not; however, what kid wouldn't love a game where Earthworm Jim is part of the roster, plus being able to unlock Boogerman!?

And I'll leave it at 10 games...

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Chris2KLee said:

Monster Hunter is a game I have dumped a ton of time into, and was never particularly loved (at least in the West).

I disagree, it's well loved in the west by Capcom doesn't seem interested in fostering that support beyond a few sporadic releases.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#122  Edited By willin
ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#123  Edited By ventilaator

Nier is legitimately the greatest game I've played this generation so much that nothing else even comes close to it.

"Just don't buy this game for the love of god please it's so horrible" is what reviews told me.

warpedzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By warpedzappa

I loved Brutal Legend. Played through it twice.

Joey_Connell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Joey_Connell

Sopranos: road to respect. I really enjoyed this game on ps2. It's voice acting was great and it really felt like a story from the show. The gameplay was also quite brutal for the time.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Clonedzero

well it didnt receive really negative scores or anything, but Max Payne 3. most people were indifferent about it, some loathed it, most just didnt care. no one really talked about it, the multiplayer while extremely well done is a ghost town.

so i thought MP3 was a fantastic game, best shooter campaign ive played in years. a super fun multiplayer. but everyone seemed very "Meh" on it. dunno why.

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#127  Edited By RobbieMac

Revelations 2012. Game really is a load of crap but I love it.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By GalacticPunt

I don't find myself at odds with the critics often, but I deeply enjoyed both Alpha Protocol and Too Human. I had far more fun with either of them than I did with the critically acclaimed Limbo, which I uninstalled today in disgust. (My capsule review: boring, drab visuals, no music, controls like shit)

Hell, there is so much love for Alpha Protocol throughout this thread that Obsidian should Kickstart a sequel.

Edit: When I think back old-school I am more impressed with "Fester's Quest" for the NES than anyone else seems to be. They drop Fester off in an open world to explore, there's multiple upgrade/downgrade options for his shotgun, first-person mazes are sprinkled in, and the alien boss designs are pretty gnarly and detailed for that hardware generation.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By clstirens

@DonutFever said:

Brutal Legend.

Seconded. Although the Story felt like it could have gone on for another 2 "continents" worth of content. Still, I loved it.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By upwarDBound

I put more hours into two worlds than I probably should have. That game was horrible in so many ways yet I managed to waste a few dozen hours of my life on it.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Draxyle

Quest 64.

Maybe it's because I had not gotten entirely into the JRPG scene yet, but I thought there were some legitimately cool mechanics at play there. The world was drab, empty, and boring, but there are plenty of other things it did right. It was one of the rare RPG's that really handled the 3 dimensional space in an interesting and competent way (especially when all RPGs of that era were still just a party standing in a line for combat). I completed it more than once, so I obviously must have enjoyed it at the time.

I'd probably think very differently if I replayed it again today, but I don't plan on doing so. I'll keep my memories safe.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#132  Edited By Grumbel

P.N.03, Lair, Alpha Protocol

SlapHappyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By SlapHappyJesus

Alpha Protocol for me as well. While not my favorite game, I love how your choices effect so much throughout the story. The mechanics are a bit less than polished, and the system behind the game was a bit unbalanced (stealth), but it is still hell of a game to play, considering you can look past the faults.

Deadly Premonition. Very unpolished and the production values are abysmal. Still ended up being one of my favorite games, somehow. York is kind of the man. Just saying.

Those are the ones that come to mind. The others were more or less simply very undersold.

Fistoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Fistoh

I liked the Alone in the Dark, as well as Alpha Protocol.

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Grimace

Brutal Legend - I loved this game so much. I liked the strategic game play and the setting, soundtrack and voice acting were amazing. Double Fine clearly made the game that they wanted to make, instead of pandering to what others were expecting.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@FluxWaveZ said:

@DeeGee said:

People talk a lot of shit about Alpha Protocol, but that may be one of my favourite games of all time.

Not too sure that was badly received by the general public, though; all Alpha Protocol threads I've seen here have a lot of people saying they enjoyed it (while pointing out its faults). Most of the negativity came from the press, which is partly why I don't trust official reviews all that much.

Bullshit, no offense, because I love the game to be honest, but it was BROKEN. Literally. Plenty of people are apologists for it, but it doesn't really deserve it. Great idea, great story, some really solid content and gameplay, but there are significant parts of the game that are just busted.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#137  Edited By TheHT

Warriors games. Dynasty, Gundam, Fist of the North Star, whatever. Critics hate 'em, but I'LL EAT EM UP.

They're such stupid fun, and when you crank up the difficulty can actually get quite tricky.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Bullshit, no offense, because I love the game to be honest, but it was BROKEN. Literally. Plenty of people are apologists for it, but it doesn't really deserve it. Great idea, great story, some really solid content and gameplay, but there are significant parts of the game that are just busted.

What's bullshit? I'm saying that most people recognize that the game has a lot of problems, me included, but I'm also saying that these same people that I've seen in threads here said they enjoyed it.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#139  Edited By hawkinson76

My first thought at seeing the thread title was to wrack my brain for my "hidden gems", but seeing what other people have posted makes me realize that reviewers do a pretty good job. Deus Ex 2, Alpha Protocol, Final Fantasy 13, Far Cry 2, etc, all games that I played with high hopes but felt disappointment. Listening to reviews Would have saved me money and heartache (but would have hurt my overall gaming literacy). Other games I don't see here that I tried really to like but did not: Eternal Darkness, Killer 7, Bubsy, Every Castlevania except Symphony of the Night... I guess this should be a different thread.

Anyway, my on topic response: I loved metroid prime hunters, it was the only metroid game I have finished since super metroid. At the time, I expected a deluge of
DS FPSs to follow. None did (I never played Moon), and my interest in the DS faded.

SAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By SAC

Far Cry 2. This game is not without it's flaws, but I found the world so god damn engrossing.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alone in the dark (360)

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Brink for me. I really liked it in spite of it problems. So hope Splash Damage get the chance to make a sequel.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#143  Edited By Chris2KLee

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Chris2KLee said:

I disagree, it's well loved in the west by Capcom doesn't seem interested in fostering that support beyond a few sporadic releases.

True, the last couple of games reviewed well, but damned if I could find anyone to play with when I got the first PSP game. Took some X-Link Kai madness to finally play it properly. I don't blame Capcom, they made a decent push with Freedom Unite and Tri, but the interest was not there to make it worth their time.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#144  Edited By xymox

I'm gonna be the one to say Shogo MAD, sorry guys. Fucking great game.

Arcanum, one of the best RPGs ever. Quite possibly one of my worst addictions, too. Even the demo got me hooked for days. I lucked out because a friend had the full version.

Hoshigami for PS. It really isn't as hard as people make it out to be.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By pweidman

The Last Remnant comes to mind. A very good jrpg with some rediculously fun and free DLC. Too Human was great and uber addictive and the best loot driven game ever for me. Alpha Protocol was good mostly...I played as a soldier so the boss problems were not a huge issue. Obsidian always brings some brilliant with the bad.

I've heard nothing but good things about Nier. Gotta give that game a whirl I spose.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#146  Edited By Svenzon

Two Worlds 2. I almost passed on that game. A bunch of twats on SomethingAwful claimed it was better than Oblivion, but seriously, fuck those guys. The second game however is actually somewhat good! Janky as hell, but fun. Gotta be brave to enter a cave.

Risen is another game I very much enjoyed. Got it on the previous Steam sale and played a whole lot throughout the summer. I'm a sucker for Mediterranean and tropical settings, which is a big part of why I loved Chrono Cross too. Risen's mechanics are kinda counterintuitive, but once you get into it it's a pretty engrossing game. Plus Andy Serkis and John Rhys-Davies do voices in it!

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#147  Edited By JTB123

P.N.03 is always the first game I think when this sort of question is asked, loved that game.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Cincaid

I'm a huge fan of the Dead Rising franchise. Granted, the games in it reviewed quite well (in the 70s-80s on Metacritic), but I hear a lot of shit talking about the games. I can understand however why people can't stand them, but I can't get enough of them!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#149  Edited By Humanity
Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DeeGee said:

People talk a lot of shit about Alpha Protocol, but that may be one of my favourite games of all time.

You can just go ahead and die in a fire.