Is the Giant Bomb Staff Overworked?

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By insouciant

I wonder if they get tired of playing and reviewing game after game and updating the content on this site.  I mean, it's a lot of work for a small group of people.  How many people are on the Giant Bomb staff compared to the Gamespot staff?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I think the GB staff is smaller than the GS staff. I could be wrong, but I'm going with it. Anyway, what evidence do you have that they're overworked? The number of releases could be a factor, but I'm not getting much of an overworked feeling from them.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

The 4 main staff members are Ryan, Vinny, Jeff, and Brad, and then you have the engineers Dave, Sean, Andy, and Ethan, and then Drew the Video Intern. Gamespot.... not so sure.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude
http://www.giantbomb.com/help/     

How Come You Don't Review Every Single Game That Comes Out? Are You Lazy?

Well, yeah, but the point is that Giant Bomb isn't interested in the fire-hose approach to video game coverage. Our editorial team is small and experienced, and our job is to highlight the stuff that we feel is significant, either to us on a personal level, or for video games at large. That's not everything, but it's still a lot. Though, we're not real big on sports games, so don't expect too much meaningful/informed Madden coverage.    

masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By masterherocard

Honestly, I'm only ever aware of the obvious ones, plus there's probably a decent amount of people behind the scenes. all in all, My uneducated guess would be somewhere around... ten?
FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By FartyMcNarly

I believe they generally have a fun time. They don't review every game they get like larger sites do, GiantBomb is a game database first then a game news site and reviews site second and third. They review what they want or what people are talking about, not everything flowing into their office.

morningdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By morningdrive

very true..you see a review like twice a week at most. I am pretty sure they enjoy what they do or else they wouldn't be doing it. 

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Dany
@natetodamax: Drew is not an intern, hasn't been since last march I think. 
@masterherocard:
Their are 5 people who work on this site I'd say 5 for the site making sure it works and stuff so, that would be logical. 

I don't think they are, they don't cover all the games, only cover what they like and what they think we might be interested in, which limits them to a small percentage. Anyhow, i think they are ok, if they weren't we would probably be noticing some of the stress.
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By frankxiv

i liek to think they'd be playing those games anyways, or they wouldn't be reviewing it

preview wise i do think they go above and beyond what they should be capable of with the size of their operation.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Geno

Don't want to sound like a jerk, but they're a bit underworked if you ask me :/. Quick looks take what, a maximum of 2 hours to produce? And there's only a few a week. And then we get like only a couple snippets of news per day, most of which is copy pasted from other sites anyway. I appreciate their style, but GB is not my site for news or reviews. 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@FartyMcNarly said:
" I believe they generally have a fun time. They don't review every game they get like larger sites do, GiantBomb is a game database first then a game news site and reviews site second and third. They review what they want or what people are talking about, not everything flowing into their office. "
Congratulations! This is your first respectable post at Giantbomb!
FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FartyMcNarly
@TheGreatGuero: No, I've had several. I do not accept your congratulations.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By oldschool
@TheGreatGuero said:
" @FartyMcNarly said:
" I believe they generally have a fun time. They don't review every game they get like larger sites do, GiantBomb is a game database first then a game news site and reviews site second and third. They review what they want or what people are talking about, not everything flowing into their office. "
Congratulations! This is your first respectable post at Giantbomb! "
Our little Farty is growing up.  Awwww, isn't it sweet  :-)  It just seemed like yesterday he was saying something cute and funny, and making us laugh. 

I think the staff is most likely overworked.  Playing enough of a game, making notes and writing something that people will like can never be easy or quick, plus all of the other stuff about keeping up with what is going on in the industry, going to places, interviews et cetera.  Walk a mile in their shoes and I think any of us would be somewhat overwhelmed.  Doesn't mean I personally always appreciate what they write and do, but I respect to work and commitment.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@Geno said:
" Don't want to sound like a jerk, but they're a bit underworked if you ask me :/. Quick looks take what, a maximum of 2 hours to produce? And there's only a few a week. And then we get like only a couple snippets of news per day, most of which is copy pasted from other sites anyway. I appreciate their style, but GB is not my site for news or reviews.  "
This.
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DCFGS3

C'mon, they play video games for a living. Granted they play games under time constraints, and whatnot, but still, they just play and write about games.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jambones

Luchadeer make damn sure they work... So yes, yes they are. 

In all seriousness, and from what I can see appearing on the site, they must be working pretty hard all the time. I am sure they have their days when they do feel overworked, but perhaps working in an industry they enjoy following eases that pain sometimes.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Jeust

What does it matter?  

This kind of questions are dull and pointless. 

Sorry... but they are.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
@Jeust said:
" What does it matter?   These kind of question are dull and pointless.  Sorry... but they are. "
But if we didn't have dull and pointless threads, we would only have 2-3 threads a day to read  :-) 
You're right though, in that it doesn't matter - it is what it is.
emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By emkeighcameron
@Dany said:
" @natetodamax: Drew is not an intern, hasn't been since last march I think. 

Drew will always be "the intern". ALWAYS.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jeust
@oldschool said:

" @Jeust said:

" What does it matter?   These kind of question are dull and pointless.  Sorry... but they are. "
But if we didn't have dull and pointless threads, we would only have 2-3 threads a day to read  :-) You're right though, in that it doesn't matter - it is what it is. "
Yep! But trying to predict what happens behind Giantbomb seems just useless. The staff won't talk about it, and nobody else knows anything. It's like discussing the sex of the angels.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King
@oldschool said:
Playing enough of a game, making notes and writing something that people will like can never be easy or quick
I can confirm this as a fact.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I haven't seen any proper evidence that the staff is overworked but they do have quite a workload even if they're not as big an operation as a major video games site like Gamespot. I don't think for a second that they get tired of their jobs though, Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny all had a long experience of video game journalism at Gamespot (heck, Jeff was there for eleven years) and I don't think they would have become part of the Giant Bomb crew if they didn't love what they did.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldschool
@Jeust said:
" @oldschool said:

" @Jeust said:

But if we didn't have dull and pointless threads, we would only have 2-3 threads a day to read  :-) You're right though, in that it doesn't matter - it is what it is. "
Yep! But trying to predict what happens behind Giantbomb seems just useless. The staff won't talk about it, and nobody else knows anything. It's like discussing the sex of the angels. "
Whilst I completely agree with you, the human mind is amazing for what will occupy it.  It certainly wouldn't cross my mind as to what they do (I genuinely don't care), but for whatever reasons, it crosses the mind of some.  I have had my fair share of threads called dull and pointless, so I am not in the position to judge.
Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jrad
@Geno said:
" Don't want to sound like a jerk, but they're a bit underworked if you ask me :/. Quick looks take what, a maximum of 2 hours to produce? And there's only a few a week. And then we get like only a couple snippets of news per day, most of which is copy pasted from other sites anyway. I appreciate their style, but GB is not my site for news or reviews.  "
We're averaging almost 5 QLs a week nowadays; plus a 2 hour Bombcast. Usually at least a review every week (only 3 of them consistently write reviews, too). I'd say they're on par with other sites (ahead, really) in their staff to content ratio.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By oldschool
@Video_Game_King said:
" @oldschool said:
Playing enough of a game, making notes and writing something that people will like can never be easy or quick
I can confirm this as a fact. "
I am sure you can.  I have been thinking about doing some reviews, but apart from the time to format it in a way that is good and not generic, I figure even if I reviewed just the first 1-2 hours, it would take me 5-6 hours to make a decent review.  I haven't got the time to do that often as well as play games for fun and do other stuff.  What other people do always seems easy to the onlooker.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jeust
@oldschool said:
" @Jeust said:
" @oldschool said:

" @Jeust said:

Yep! But trying to predict what happens behind Giantbomb seems just useless. The staff won't talk about it, and nobody else knows anything. It's like discussing the sex of the angels. "
Whilst I completely agree with you, the human mind is amazing for what will occupy it.  It certainly wouldn't cross my mind as to what they do (I genuinely don't care), but for whatever reasons, it crosses the mind of some.  I have had my fair share of threads called dull and pointless, so I am not in the position to judge. "
true... i should probably just look the other way around. :p 
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Seedofpower
@natetodamax: Drew isn't an intern anymore. He overworked himself to full on employee.
thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thedj93

THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By crusnchill
@insouciant: Think about it. Gamespot had a tighter shedule of work to cover for each member of staff.

The reason Giantbomb exists is because the members of the bombsquad started the site out of pure desire to do so, because they liked their previous jobs. Why else would we have a Giantbomb if they didn't?

If they were overworked at Gamespot then this's hopefully lots easier for them, and besides they're all pretty smart so if they were overworked they'd keep the operation small by only hiring one or two extra people maximum to free up their workloads.

That's my guess anyway.

I'll just say that, whatever their situation, they're doing a great job. :-)
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Binman88

Overworked? They play video games for a living, write reviews about them - seemingly at their leisure, or to pretty lenient deadlines -, drive around broadcasting bullshit from their phones, and filming themselves opening packages full of more games and sometimes drinking alcohol while still "working". If anything, they're doing far less work in a more relaxed environment than even you're average shop assistant or bank clerk, and probably getting paid more for it.

Edit: Also, I have no idea if they're overworked, I'm just making stuff up.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iam3green
@natetodamax said:
" The 4 main staff members are Ryan, Vinny, Jeff, and Brad, and then you have the engineers Dave, Sean, Andy, and Ethan, and then Drew the Video Intern. Gamespot.... not so sure. "
really? i thought there were more internet people than that.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sodiumCyclops

They secretly have a team of slaves who do all the work. You can see it in their eyes!

Sway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sway
It's not that bad to be overworked when you playing and talking about games.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By Claude
@Jeust said:
" @oldschool said:

" @Jeust said:

Ha! They're like the Tiger Woods of video games. I hope their karma is in order.
Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Alphiehyr
@insouciant said:
" I wonder if they get tired of playing and reviewing game after game and updating the content on this site.  I mean, it's a lot of work for a small group of people.  How many people are on the Giant Bomb staff compared to the Gamespot staff? "
They probably do and they don't realize that they talk too damn much. I don't get why they would even bother recording the game's sound when they're pretty much overwritten with excessive and useless talk.
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Coombs

*grin*
 *grin*
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#37  Edited By LordAndrew

If they're overworked, they should just work less. No big deal. Giant Bomb seems a lot more laid-back than other gaming sites.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#38  Edited By EpicSteve

This is their job.

tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tomte

well, in the last Bombcast they said that Brad couldnt participate because he left on time... so i guess they might be overworked

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ch13696

If anything they have a happy middle. They only preview and review the games that they know will be good and what they think will be good. It's just enough for them to handle.

bluesun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bluesun

The first time I thought this was the appearance of Ryan and Dave in the Just Dance video... dudes looked fried.

Bigger sites have auxiliary staff to take care of all the 1,001 jobs to keep the wheels running, like most small businesses these guys do it themselves.

What with most weeks having at least one of them out of the office, plus all the behind the scenes stuff to keep the ship upright...I'd lean towards overworked myself. Not that they aren't enjoying it, but it has to be taking its toll.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#42  Edited By sjschmidt93
@Video_Game_King said:
" I think the GB staff is smaller than the GS staff. 
Well, of course. 
Blackmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Blackmoore

I can understand if they're overworked. After all, they're not a very large crew. However, they nice thing is that they work in an environment that they control. They can choose (to some extent) the ebb and flow of the work that comes in and spread the work out accordingly to strength and interests. We get to see Dave reviewing Dragon Age and Jeff reviewing SSIV, and not the other way around. Being a creation of their own, I can see where they`d be coming from if they`re feeling tired and overworked, but I bet you at the end, it`s probably a good feeling tired and overworked.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LiquidS

It looks as though the office is a pretty decent enviornment to work in. I'd be surprised if anyone felt sorry for them.