Premium Members: Resubscribe or Unsubscribe?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By Barrock

@NickyDubz said:

Follow the money

Well Ryan just bought a fully loaded car and Jeff's talking about buying one that costs $100,000. So follow them!

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#102  Edited By YoThatLimp

I will keep subbing until there is no more Giantbomb. I get that there has been fewer pieces of content that last 4 months because of the move, so shame on CBSi for not having the forethought to get these guys what they need ASAP to continue what they love doing, as this thread proves, it is really going to hurt the subscriber numbers which is bad for Giantbomb and Giantbomb's budget.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By PillClinton

Gonna resub, but change to monthly probably.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#104  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

I'm good until 2014, so I guess neither.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#105  Edited By Daveyo520

Sadly I won't have the money to resubscribe, but if I did I would.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By MikkaQ

Resubbing cause it's cheap and it's been worth the value.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Cameron

I haven't decided yet. I really think they should lower the price now that the membership is only for one site. $50 is insane for a single membership, especially when competing memberships from IGN and other companies are about half of that and often include tangible rewards. Those sites aren't as good, but it's still crazy that Giant Bomb costs more and only offers a small amount of extra content.

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By sockemjetpack

I am subbed until next spring. I'll see what happens after the site redesign is finished. From what I've heard though it seems like the premium subs are one of the things that allow the guys to keep their independence from the larger company when it comes to content. Less premium subs means less decisions fall to the guys. I don't know if it's that cut and dried but from what I heard on a Radio Dave a couple months back that seems to be the case.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. The site hasn't been as good as it was since the renaissance that followed the all day SNES-travaganza but if they were able to do it once I'm confident (and hopeful) that they'll be able to do it again.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#109  Edited By George_Hukas

Unsubbed.. getting a Polygon tattoo

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110  Edited By The_Nubster

We just got like 8 hours of premium content the past two weeks, plus the Radio Show the week before that, TNT every week, and there've been Quick Looks out the asshole for the past month, plus the Bombcast every week (and they've been longer than usual, too). Are we still complaining about lack of content? At this point, it's just remembering the past better than it was. I'm subbed until New Years 2013 and I don't regret it at all.

As for everyone complaining that their money is just a salary now, the subs are a good indicator of the budget they get allowed. More subs, more budget for GB. I'm all for that.

Seastalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Seastalk

I'm on the fence; so until I can convince myself either way there I shall stay.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#112  Edited By StarvingGamer

Resub, they still provide me with a majority of my something-in-the-background-while-I-play-games entertainment.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Jace

My sub used to be a feel-good payment. I felt like my money was going almost directly to the guys. Now, it's just going to a big CBSi pool. Also, the content has taken a pretty solid dive, regardless of whether it's their fault or the season.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#114  Edited By recroulette

Not sure, I subscribed because I wanted to support all of the sites, not just Giant Bomb.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#115  Edited By Nux  Online

I'm going to resubscribe.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By MAGZine

@The_Nubster: CBSi is going to get their money one way or another. It's subscriptions or invasive advertisement, GB's choice.

Kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Kill

Already unsubbed. Not got the money to spare and not a fan of TNT or the retirement of Happy Hour.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#118  Edited By irrelevantjohn

I was thinking about this too a few days ago since the subscription is ending soon. I think I might just re-sub but a part of me is telling me to wait until they have the studio completed to almost 100%.

I dunno... I will miss those awesome random crap they do though...

Special_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Special_K

I just let my old credit card information do the unsubscribin' for me yesterday. I'll come back if we get a nice push of premium content. A new endurance run, or a return to the consistency of the premium stuff they were rolling before.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#120  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@Cameron said:

I haven't decided yet. I really think they should lower the price now that the membership is only for one site. $50 is insane for a single membership, especially when competing memberships from IGN and other companies are about half of that and often include tangible rewards. Those sites aren't as good, but it's still crazy that Giant Bomb costs more and only offers a small amount of extra content.

Pretty much this. Unless the site redesign brings about a lot more content or that $50 goes towards both a Gamespot and a Giant Bomb membership, then I can't justify paying $50 a year for a subscription. I'll wait it out until the spring when my subscription ends to be certain, but at this point, I just don't see the cost meeting the rewards.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Ravenlight

Sub twice. Cancel out somebody else.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Zekhariah

Planning to re-subscribe.

Some of the subscriber features are nice, but to some extent it is just to show support for bombcast and their overall coverage. It presents the same sort of absurd value preposition as Netflix.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#123  Edited By PandaBear

I pay only because I like the site. I don't need premium content (it is nice though). Really, I just want to pay to avoid ads and give money to a group of guys who are doing great work. Seriously, $49.95 a year is fuck all for what we get I think. It's 13 cents a day.

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Driam

I might, if they offer a 35$ alternative. Getting real tired of all the trailers, though.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By TruthTellah

I am definitely planning on resubscribing, but as others have said, $50 for not having premium access to all the sites we used to have just isn't the same value proposition. I'd say Giant Bomb is probably worth it on its own, but it definitely seems a bit iffier than ever before. Hopefully they can perhaps modify the subscription model a bit.

I'll keep supporting them as long as they keep saying it actually helps. It's my favorite website, and I'll gladly support it. More options and reduced cost in response to how things have changed would definitely be appreciated though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#126  Edited By Hailinel

I'm resubscribing. I'm not concerned about the amount of premium content being posted to the site at the moment.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#127  Edited By DarthOrange

Hearing this always breaks my heart :(

I am not all that old to this site (a little over a year at this point), and I was really close to subscribing this year as soon as I came into some money to help support my two favorite sites on earth, Giant Bomb and Screened. The video content for Tested was always hilarious as well and I enjoyed reading the Comic Vine articles. I also enjoyed the weirdness that was Anime Vice. I liked all the intern shenanigans and content that came out last summer. All that changed since the CBSi change. My heart still hearts.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#128  Edited By breadfan

Kinda bummed on the inconsistency of premium content being put out, but I'll most likely resubscribe. Plus the shirts are usually dope.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm subbed up till 2013 so we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. (I'm probably going to resub.)

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#130  Edited By Hunter5024

I really wanted to subscribe last year but I didn't have the money, and now that I do have the money i just cant find any reason to do it. I was a monthly subscriber for a bit, and after watching the initial videos that I never got to see before, they didn't post anything new that I wanted to watch the whole time I was subscribed. If it was about supporting them then I guess I could get behind it, but with the way the advertisements have been I just don't really feel like getting behind the site like I used to. I still love the site, but I just don't see any reason to give them my money right now, unless the site was in some kind of jeopardy.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#131  Edited By viking_funeral

This thread is surprisingly more civil than I thought it was going to be.

@Brodehouse said:

The best period in Giant Bomb history was the last 6 months of the Whiskey Media office. October to March, I would've given 70, 80 dollars to keep that up. But I can't say I'm ready to pay 50 dollars a year for one video a week.

So much great content. It was the busiest time of the year, and yet they still found time to do multiple Jar Times, Breaking Brads, Load Our Last Save, Random PC Game, they did a Happy Hour, Nostalgiafest, SNES Party, Tricaster Party, Brad grinding through the Darkness, they did an Endurance Run of Chrono Trigger, they played through Phantasmagoria, the Vita launch stream remember the 3D0 TNT? I know they're capable of that and it just makes me feel like a crazy person that Jeff's time is being used on meetings (for WHAT?) instead of the content that has built them this loyal following.

I've thought about this a lot recently. That period of time it seemed like a great deal to only pay $50 for a subscription. Now... well, we'll see. I had reservations about the change of the site, and I'm still on the fence. I just hope that the ducks can be put in order soon, so we can start the return to glory.

Of course, if you want to see how it could have all gone much worse, just check out Tested. Will said that they were getting there during his Bombcast visit, but I'm still in no mood to check.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Just got the prompt that my CC had expired, so I immediately entered my new details to let it automatically resubscribe. I subscribe to support the site and would continue to do so even if there was no such thing as premium content. This is my favourite place on the net.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#133  Edited By Hizang

Last year I bought two year memberships in the sale, so I'm good for another year.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Icemo

I'm resubscribing. Although I'm quite surprised at how confident the bomb crew has been at trusting that premium members keep paying them. I would have been so nervous after the transfer that I would have done anything to make more content for premium members.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#135  Edited By Jimbo

Ahm oot. I tried to unsub last year tbh with you, but the re-up was charged a few days before my subscription ran out iirc so I just let it slide. Fuck giving Gamespot any more of my money though - that's the opposite of what I signed up for, like GB is now the opposite of what it was intended to be.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Turambar

I spend 5 dollars a month on more worthless stuff (looking at you, office vending machine), so I'll keeping the sub.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#137  Edited By Cincaid

My account runs out September 14th, and right now it's not set to auto-renew. This is only because I have no idea how rich/poor I am when the 14th comes around. If I can afford it, I'll renew my subscription in a heartbeat.

JayDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By JayDee

probably unsubscribe and then resubscribe 6 months later. i dont need to see premium stuff live, i rarely do. so going back through a bunch will be fine.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I will absolutely subscribe. I go through enough down time at work and around home that I end up carving through all of the regular member stuff in no time and still craving more. And it just so happens that I've found a lot of the premium stuff they've been doing lately to be fantastic (the Olympiad and recent TNT archives, for example.)

Avatar image for belligerentengine
BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DarthOrange said:

Hearing this always breaks my heart :(

I am not all that old to this site (a little over a year at this point), and I was really close to subscribing this year as soon as I came into some money to help support my two favorite sites on earth, Giant Bomb and Screened. The video content for Tested was always hilarious as well and I enjoyed reading the Comic Vine articles. I also enjoyed the weirdness that was Anime Vice. I liked all the intern shenanigans and content that came out last summer. All that changed since the CBSi change. My heart still hearts.

Haha yeah... Sigh, listening to that pitch again yikes, I probably used Screened as much/more than Giantbomb. I'm not sure the "value proposition" is here anymore especially since it was more of a, "Hey lets support the guys" kind of contribution from me, rather than a customer/service provider relationship. The problem is currently I have way too much disposable income so I'll probably just let it renew for the hell of it. However if I had any preclusion to start cutting costs this would probably be one of the first straps to get tightened on the proverbial boot.

Edit: I think a better question for me personally, is if I'm going to buy another subscription for that motherf*#king toaster!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wrighteous86 said:

They've done a lot for me personally that I will always be a subscriber.

Despite what you may have heard, these guys truly love their community.

What have they personally done for you, if you don't mind me asking?

After reading through all of the responses here, although I agree with you guys that content has been very light recently, I suggest you frame your reason for subbing this way; Is Giantbomb one of your most visited sites? Do you spend a lot of time here? How much would you any for the content here if ALL of it was made premium?

My answer is yes and a lot. I'm subscribed for the next 2-3 years. Guys, the only reason why Giantbomb was acquired by CBSi was because CBSi were interested in their high subscription numbers. If these drop then Giantbomb drops as well. This site is still small and still pretty much a website run by dudes in a basement. Giantbomb does not nearly come close to Gamespot in ad revenue. However at the same time, I also believe that you can vote with your money and low subscription numbers means that the staff will work harder to push more content out.

But hopefully, it doesn't come to that. I hope that they read through this thread and understand that the overwhelming majority believe that they've been lacking in content.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Turambar said:

I spend 5 dollars a month on more worthless stuff (looking at you, office vending machine), so I'll keeping the sub.

Saaaame *glares at hot chocolate machine*.

Avatar image for belligerentengine
BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cloudenvy said:

@Turambar said:

Saaaame *glares at hot chocolate machine*.

Saaame *shakes fist at moderately priced local prostitutes*.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Been thinking about this a lot lately.

I don't think I'll re-up this year. It's partly because I find myself watching less and less of what they make and partly because they've cleaved out most of the stuff I really like. Random PC Game pops up rarely. Load My Last Save hasn't existed in months. TNT is a shell of itself. Happy Hour is gone.

I might buy a Silver subscription for the purpose of watching the Big Live Live Show, but will probably let it expire after that.

It feels raunchy to say that. Almost like a betrayal. But I miss the whole of the Whiskey Crew together and it's not been particularly riveting since the buy-out.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#145  Edited By dethfish

If I have the spare money I'll resub, but I don't have to worry about that till next August.

grimmspectre18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By grimmspectre18

@RPGee: ^What you said. Completely agree. I'm not buying just the premium content. I'm thanking them for everything they have done and supporting the Bomb Squad for the 17.10 Gbs of podcast that is sitting in my itunes right now. I love the site and I want to show it.

zipperface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By zipperface

If I can support my alcoholism, I can support a site I truly enjoy with interesting personalities that entertain me endlessly. Though looking at those unopened bottles between Jeff and Ryan's desks does cause me some anxiety.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#148  Edited By Dogma

Because of my economic situation I have chosen to support the guys for these years as a silver member. It's true that the premuium content have dropped a bit but I believe it's because logistic problems and that they still have to adjust to the new place. That may seem insane since it half a year since the move but I still love this site and will continue to support my number one game site that I visit ont the Internet. I have faith in the Bomb crew.

And to be honest. It does not help us in getting more or cooler content with people saying "Nah, I'm fine with those simple low budget I Love Mondays" and stuff like that. We should hold them to make cool content that actually has some polish instead of gamevideos with voiceover. That kind of stuff makes them lazy and I don't want that. This gang has a big focus on video so I think they should produce a bit more nicer looking things. We know they are capable of it.

But no matter that I will still continue to pay them through my silver membership that I have had since the start. 5 bucks is not a lot of money to pay each month, even for someone like me without a proper fulltime job. As someone else said, they give me more entertainment than television. Why not support that?

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By HarlechQuinn

"Premium Annual Member through May 7, 2015." So ask me again in two years...

Concerning the current content, sure they are not on the height of their game and I still miss "Random PC Game"...

But judging by the amount of GB of Giant Bomb on my hard drives and the hours of entertainment they provided for me I think that they still deserve my support!

Giant Bomb fo' Lyfe :)

Ley_Lines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Ley_Lines

Hopefully, there will be a sale, because I don't want a members t-shirt. If there isn't a sale, I'll wait till there is one. I agree though, premium content has been down. We need a return of "load up our last save" and "Random PC game".

EDIT: Oh wait, hire Rorie, then I'll sub instantly.