"Pulling a Brad" meme has taken its toll on him

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By dichemstys

I get his point, everyone fucks up and added pressure can make him fuck up worse.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#102  Edited By Brendan

The only thing about this that truly sucks is all the people that say they don't trust Brad's reviews in the comments of his reviews because he "sucks at games". Some of those people are probably in this very thread, pretending that they're on his side.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By McGhee

Well maybe he shouldn't suck so bad then.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#104  Edited By Dagbiker

@Brendan said:

The only thing about this that truly sucks is all the people that say they don't trust Brad's reviews in the comments of his reviews because he "sucks at games". Some of those people are probably in this very thread, pretending that they're on his side.

who said that.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By napalm

@McGhee said:

Well maybe he shouldn't suck so bad then.

Damn!

@Brendan said:

I don't know, I don't know. I had something else to say, but I don't know.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106  Edited By Draxyle

I think he's more upset at the fact that people are actually judging his ability to review games because of it, which I have actually seen in comment sections. Heck, it's not only Brad, all the bombers get that kind of criticism time and time again by extremely tactless people who don't realize that they actually do read the comments section.

I wish I could ask people to stop being dumb on the internet like that.. but it's the internet.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#107  Edited By N7

Who would have thought he would have taken this so deeply. It was a joke after all. I never thought it meant anything like this :(

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#108  Edited By DoctorWelch

Yeah, Ryan is definitely the worst at games out of all of them, and the shear fact that Brad is fairly good at Starcraft probably proves he is one of the best. I think there used to be more people that said stuff about Brad way back when, but recently I really do not think anyone thinks he is completely terrible at games, at least not compared to the rest of the guys. I think the Pulling A Brad is just a pretty funny meme, and if you look at that chart that some dude made about deaths in quicklooks you will see that Brad is actually one of the better ones

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By AiurFlux

I was watching the smoked turkey unboxing video awhile back and my wife was sitting next to me on her laptop. It got to the Spanish deep fryer part. She looked over and asked, bluntly I might add, "Who's the hottie?"

I have no sympathy for him...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We love ya Brad, don't take any gruff from these swine!

But seriously, use more skill :P

fonkymucker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By fonkymucker

@Draxyle: This internet is where the stupid people you meet in real life get even stupider ideas.

However, on the Brad subject. I remember Brad and Vinny were doing a quicklook on a game I worked on. He was telling Vinny how the game wasn't that hard, and proceeded to die right almost as soon as he uttered it (he was at a easier part of the game, so he was correct in his assessment). We had a good chuckle in the office that he pulled another "Brad".

As long as he and the community are aware that sometimes Brad makes mistakes during quicklooks then it isn't a issue. It would be totally different if he was blaming the developers.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Brad is wicked and is clearly awesome on all fronts...that voice so smooth

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#113  Edited By Mento  Moderator

The thing about Quick Looks, is that it basically involves doing two things:

1) Speaking eloquently and knowledgeably about the game, its mechanics, its history and the people behind it as well as being entertaining to listen to.

2) Playing the game well.

I'd say one of those things is vastly more important and difficult than the other. Without hopefully coming off as too obsequious, it's also the one Brad and the rest happen to be good at.

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#114  Edited By FightMeNerd

I use to hate Brad. Then after about 3 months I realized how cool Brad was and I no longer hated him. Funny how things change.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think some people do take it too far in the comment section of certain quick looks.  This would happen to most people out there.  I know this wont help much but dont worry about it too much Brad.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#116  Edited By deathstriker666

He hates us! I knew it!

That's why he posts on GAF. I feel like some cheap whore!

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By FengShuiGod

We all have our GODAMMIT BRAD moments, but it's really not that big of a deal. While I'm sure there are whiny people decrying Brad's video game skills, I think most people just laugh and move on. Brad doesn't even die that much. The whole thing is really overstated, and not trusting his reviews over his performance or lack thereof in QLs amounts to little more than a straw man argument.

TL;DR: We love you Brad.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Andorski

#IBelieveInBrad

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#119  Edited By Yanngc33

Pulling a Brad is hysterical, he should embrace it

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#120  Edited By Vextroid

I have no problem with his reviews or dying. We all die in games no biggie.

It his tendencies to skip or miss tutorials and fundamentals only to ask 5 seconds later what am I supposed to do or what's going on? See Shadow/ICO HD Quick Look and the part with the catapult in the Majin:FK Quick Look.

But I have nothing against the man.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@Andorski said:

#IBelieveInBrad

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By NathHaw

The worst comments I remember were during the Deadly Premonition ER. Many of the comments were definitely serious; those were not friendly jokes. I'm pretty sensitive to what people think about me, so I guess I know how Brad feels a little.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By dungbootle

You know Brad has always struck me as being more emotionally sensitive, both to art and criticism, than the other guys, and I sympathize with him because I've felt much the same way my entire life, so it makes me feel bad when people post nasty comments about him for no reason. We love you man, don't let 'em get you down.

drjota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By drjota

Brad didn't cast Bufu...

that's all I'm saying.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Nottle

The only time I think it is ok to give any of these guys shit is for really not giving the game the time of day or brushing up on things during a quick look. If your trying to show off the game don't get stuck on a part and blame the game because you didn't look at the instructions, controls, or tutorials.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By shirogane

Truthfully, he shouldn't worry about it. At this point we'd be considerably more disappointed if he didn't screw up and die i think.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By WickedFather

I like the meme. It reminds me of Brad. Being reminded of Brad makes me think of Brad. Thinking of Brad makes me smile. I've never thought it was said without affection.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Ravenlight

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

@Andorski said:

#IBelieveInBrad

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By theveej

yah I think some people on this site get bit distasteful about it. I mean the staff itself jokes about it, but they are not harsh about and they say it jokingly (plus they are his friends not random internet people). for some strange reason people like to rage on the internet about anything, and they take it too far sometimes. Don't get me done Brad has done some stupid ass shit while playing video games, and sometimes he should be called out on it, but when people legitly rage on about his performance (and the same goes with patrick) it could be distasteful and not productive in helping brad improve

I'v seen Brad play video games since the Gamespot days, and he isn't terrible at them. He is a very shy person, who just recently has been able to become a bit more vocal. People need to take that into account, not everyone is the same, and not everyone is thick skinned. I mean we all know that Ryan just sucks mad balls at games (and at the same time Ryan being Ryan could not give less of a fuck about it), brad is a different story and different person.

GeneralDAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By GeneralDAS

As an avid Doom player, I thought he played quite well on Breaking Bad. All of the dumb little mistakes he made were part of playing the game, especially for someone who's just picking it up again.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Andorski said:

#IBelieveInBrad

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By PulledaBrad

So my username isnt helping?

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Mcfart

Brad's great at Starcraft 2, wheather alone or in front of people.

It's natural that he (and the others) will have more trouble playing a game they're still unfairmilier with in a quicklook situation.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By FengShuiGod

Pullin' a Brad also means you have a deep voice and get hella ladies when you go out.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Djratchet

I love you Brad. Just realize that you shouldn't blame a game unfairly when you screw up, when more often than not, it is your anxiety kicking in (which is totally understandable,mind you).

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#136  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

@Andorski said:

#IBelieveInBrad

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Grissefar

@Milkman said:

@Grissefar said:

Adam Boyes made a joke about 99 lives in World Gone Sour QL, and it felt like he took a giant shit on Brad. When someone from the outside who is not a part of the core tries to make the joke, it really hurts like a motherfucker, I think.

It's a shame, since Brad has actually been more entertaining lately, as has all of them really. He's not been near asleep or on his way to just get the Quick Look over with. So thanks for that, Gamespot. I wonder how long it will be till they return to their usual summer lull.

Adam is hardly "someone from the outside."

Really think he is, brah.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#138  Edited By daiphyer

We all love you Brad.

And besides, Ryan is the worst in playing games out of the five group members, and Jeff has the most deaths on video. So it should really be Pulling a Gerstmann!

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#139  Edited By ez123

While making fun of Brad, Adam Boyes was dying because of that easy ass mini boss. It's a dumb joke because people who suck at games much more than Brad say it.

Pullin' a Brad should really be about losing your save by starting a new campaign, I don't know anyone else who does that.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By beforet

@Grissefar said:

@Milkman said:

@Grissefar said:

Adam Boyes made a joke about 99 lives in World Gone Sour QL, and it felt like he took a giant shit on Brad. When someone from the outside who is not a part of the core tries to make the joke, it really hurts like a motherfucker, I think.

It's a shame, since Brad has actually been more entertaining lately, as has all of them really. He's not been near asleep or on his way to just get the Quick Look over with. So thanks for that, Gamespot. I wonder how long it will be till they return to their usual summer lull.

Adam is hardly "someone from the outside."

Really think he is, brah.

Something tells me that the hoards of faceless user names are more from the "outside" than Adam Boyes is.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#141  Edited By Cincaid

Don't know how to put it in English, but there's a good saying that goes something like "What begins as a joke often spin out of control". By now I can hardly read through the comments of any Brad QL/Review since there's a flood of people who feel the need to point out every single flaw and mistake Brad did. And seriously, reading through the Shadow of Colossus comments said more about the people commenting, than Brad not remembering a move from a game he played 6 years earlier.

This isn't limited to Brad of course (even if he gets more flak for it). I remember back when Jeff and Vinny did the P4 ER, and daily there were commentators raging over them fooling around in the game and not doing things "the right way". If you have such a hard time watching people not play video games the way "you're supposed to", or watching someone fail a few times at a section, I'd advice you take your bags to another website. I for one find it more amusing and actually informing when they screw up in games, since I'm well aware that it could be me doing the same thing. I'm not the golden child of video games, as some of the commentators here think they are.

I can, however, understand when people get frustrated when the crew don't pay attention to information, to only later bang their head against a wall not knowing what to do simply because they just skipped reading some information. On the other hand this website and its features is for entertainment purpose, not making quick walkthrough videos. Ah well, this rant became longer than intended.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By kishinfoulux

I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt and assume most saying "he pulled a Brad" are saying it in a light hearted manner. I don't think he sucks. It can be tricky to talk to someone and an audience, while being recorded, playing a video game. And even if he isn't skilled (don't think he isn't) who cares? Hell I think I suck at games but I play them for enjoyment. Nothing wrong with that. People just need to ease up.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Jimbo
@PrivateIronTFU

@Jimbo said:

Or, you know, blame whoever it is that keeps assigning the employee with crippling stage fright to 'on stage' duty. Brad is by far GB's best writer and -oddly- their best interviewer (I guess it's a prep thing). QLs and other chucklehead 'personality' content clearly doesn't suit him, it rarely turns out well when he has to do it and he's wasted on it anyway. All the time he spends playing games (badly, apparently) in front of a camera could probably be better spent writing something worth reading.

There's a big difference between 'dying a few times on camera' and 'crippling stage fright'. I'm pretty sure Brad doesn't suffer from the latter.

What's being described in the OP is stage fright. It's crippling because his anxiety about performing is (apparently) having a significantly detrimental effect on his ability to perform.
Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Beaudacious

I resent Brad assuming all the "Pulling a Brad" trolling is summed up by some jealousy for his job.

1. Brad is "bad" at video games, doesn't mean he can't enjoy them, or review them. It does mean he needs to suck it up butter cup when he gets teased. He needs to learn how to embrace this "meme", like the Will Smith cum face.

2. " Pulling a Brad" comments rarely lead to people saying he doesn't deserve his job. Brad can be a great reviewer, and has written some fantastic reviews when he tries. BUT when Brad can't figure out controls, then follows that up by a 40 minute complanathon on a quick look, its hard to respect his opinion or following review. When a game actually has awful controls there is nothing wrong with that, but it seems to happen more often then not for Brad.

3. The fact that Brad puts any weight into children yelling " Zomg Brad suxors, i can do his job better." is disheartening. Brad is probably the most eloquent duder in the office when it comes to written English. I just wish his idea's would be of similar caliber to his writing talent.

I remember really enjoying Brad's reviews when i first started visiting GiantBomb, but to be honest they've progressively diminished in insight. I really hope this " Pulling a Brad" anxiety hasn't crippled his abilities, he needs to be more assertive.

I really like Brad as a person, but I've grown to dislike his work. On the other side i fucking despise Alex Navaro as a person to the extent that i would probably be moved to leave a mutual room, but i really like his content and reviews.

Edit: For the record Ryan is " worse" then Brad at video games, but he carries himself with such swagger that no one including himself gives a flying fuck.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By artgarcrunkle

All those guys have been terrible at games on camera but Brad is the only one who gets defensive and won't roll with the punches. Gosh I wonder if that has anything to do with people fucking with him.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Milkman

@Beaudacious said:

I really like Brad as a person, but I've grown to dislike his work. On the other side i fucking despise Alex Navaro as a person to the extent that i would probably be moved to leave a mutual room, but i really like his content and reviews.

I don't get this. How could you possibly "despise" Alex as a person? You don't even know him. If you don't like someone's writing, fine. But how can you say someone is a shitty person when you know literally nothing about them?

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#147  Edited By dethfish

You guys say the "pulling a Brad" meme is usually used in jest and I agree with you, but even constant lighthearted teasing can take its toll on someone. Maybe it's partially Brads fault for not being able to take the joke or whatever but the fact remains that it bugs him. So maybe you super clever people can lay off him for a while and come up with something new.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#148  Edited By Jost1

What I find most baffling of all is why people use NeoGAF

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By zeforgotten

So that's why he's leaving 
(I know, retarded meme but at least it fits for once in it's miserable life)