The Community Spotlight 2020.06.27

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am honored to be your host as we look back at the best community offerings from the previous week. Goodness, this was certainly a week. I will avoid repeating what has already been said by the staff. However, please be aware that the staff and moderation team endeavor to listen, reflect, and get better as a result of what has come to light. You have our most sincere promise to continue to make this site a safe place worth coming back to years upon end. With that in mind, let's jump into the site-related housekeeping.

Tweets Of The Week

Author's Note: So..... it appears Jeff saying "BIGGER" has become a meme, and most of the people creating videos like the last two you will find have no idea Giant Bomb is even the source. Don't you love the internet?

Galleria Of Art

Sad Jeff (By: @DigitalLogjam)

Over on Twitter, Digital Logjam decided to whip up a work of photoshop genius. However, I will give special commendations to anyone who can @me with the origin of this reference.

No Caption Provided

Clips Of The Week

Public Enemy vs. Deftones (feat. Alex Navarro) (By: @MinnMaxShow)

Some of you may recall Alex mentionining he was on a music podcast last week, and here's a link and clip to get you interested in case you were not able to find the podcast!

Community Activities

New Giant Bomb Community Minecraft Server (By: @nickydubz)

It seems like the new Giant Bomb Minecraft Community Server got some much needed attention this week from the staff! Read all about how you can join the fun using the link above and don't forget to spread the word!

Blogs

Chess can be
Chess can be "fun?" Who could have thunk it?!

Chess Is BACK BAYBEE! - Let's Talk About PogChamps & Chess' Explosion On Twitch (By: @zombiepie)

Moderator ZombiePie takes to Giant Bomb to talk about why PogChamps is "the best thing to happen to chess in decades" and why more people should be playing and consuming competitive chess.

What's the Greatest Video Game: Super Dodgeball (By: @imunbeatable80)

imunbeatable80 shares on their latest blog why Super Dodgeball is a game with a lot of pizzazz, but is lacking on a lot of features you want out of an "alternate sports" game title.

The Quest To Find an Online First Person Shooter (By: @gundato)

Gundato is not a huge fan of online shooters, but shares their attempts to jump into a variety of online FPS games recently on their latest blog! Use the link below to see which online community proved to be the most welcoming.

Someone wrote a blog about the modern state of Squad, and I'm not telling! (It was gundato)
Someone wrote a blog about the modern state of Squad, and I'm not telling! (It was gundato)

IGotW Special: Indie Bundle of the Century: Part 1 +

Indie Game of the Week 176: Tangrams Deluxe (By: @mento)

Moderator Mento is starting a new series where they look at the games from Itch.io's recent Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality! Give it a read and see if they have any early recommendations! Next, their "Indie Game of the Week" series continues with a look at Tangrams Deluxe! Check out their blog to see why they wanted to enjoy the puzzler more than they did.

Huntdown Seems Like A Very Jeff Throwback Sidescroller (By: @humanity)

Giant Bomb Humanity shares why Huntdown from Easy Trigger Games ended up being a nostalgic trip they really enjoyed.

From the sounds of it, riding a motorcycle in Days Gone sure sounds like a bummer!
From the sounds of it, riding a motorcycle in Days Gone sure sounds like a bummer!

Lies and Forgiveness, A Character Study of The Last of Us Part II [SPOILERS] (By: @crunchyflies)

crunchyflies blogged about The Last of Us Part II and why they appreciated the game as a character study on lying and forgiveness.

The Other Ludonarrative Dissonance Issue Of The Last Of Us Part II (And So Many Other Games) +

Is Days Gone The Jankiest First Party PS4 Game? And Why Do The Bikes Suck So Much? (By: @bigsocrates)

bigsocrates uses their latest blog to discuss why they think the mechanical trappings and hallmarks of The Last of Us Part II pose a significant ludonarrative dissonance issue. Also, bigsocrates played Days Gone, and humorous wonders if it is the "jankiest" PS4 exclusive made thus far.

Not E3 2020: The PS5 Reveal And The State Of The Series X (By: @gamer_152)

If you want to talk about the next-gen consoles, check out Gamer_152's blog!
If you want to talk about the next-gen consoles, check out Gamer_152's blog!

Moderator Gamer_152 didn't let the cancellation of E3 stop them from talking about the state of game consoles and reveal events that showed of the PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Steam Game Festival Demos 2020 (By: @superjoe)

SuperJoe checked out the 2020 Steam Game Festival demo scene on their latest blog on Giant Bomb! Read all about the games that impressed them the most and which games they advise you to avoid.

Discussions & Threads

Is every part of The Last of Us Part II a good time? Join the discussion!
Is every part of The Last of Us Part II a good time? Join the discussion!

Spoiler Discussion For Those That Have Completed The Last of Us Part II (By: @jasonr86)

If you want to discuss The Last of Us Part II spoilers, including the ending, feel free to comment in the thread below. Be aware, this official spoiler discussion thread is the only place where unmarked spoilers about the game should be posted!

What System Do You Plan On Playing Cyberpunk 2077 On First? (By: @ntm)

Many community members are still excited for Cyberpunk 2077, but what system do you plan on playing Cyberpunk 2077 on first? Vote for your platform of choice and share why.

Are you still excited for Cyberpunk 2077 after its ho-hum press conference?
Are you still excited for Cyberpunk 2077 after its ho-hum press conference?

My Quarantine Will Be Much Better Served If I Can See Vinny Kill A New 64 Bit Dracula (By: @baltaronsteam)

Hey, Giant Bomb Community, are you there? Why is there a thread asking Vinny to play Castlevania 64? WHY?!

Don't hurt Vinny like that.

Do You Ever Look At The Screenshots The PS4 Takes When You Earn A Trophy? (By: @bigsocrates)

Here's a "FUN" discussion thread on the site for anyone with a PS4: do you ever look at the screenshots the PS4 takes when you earn a trophy? Seriously, do you actually use or look at those screenshots at all?

What Game(s) Rekindled Your Love Of PC Gaming? (By: @onigiristudio)

In the age of Steam and many other digital marketplaces, what was the game that rekindled or started your love for PC gaming? Share which game or marketplace convinced you to invest in PC gaming.

These sure are some
These sure are some "choices." Vote to see where your other community members stand!

Are AAA Games Starting To Get Too Long? (By: @bigsocrates)

Here's a discussion the has the community divided: are AAA games starting to get too long? Share and discuss your stance using the link and here are the poll options to vote for!

Mixer Is Shutting Down On July 22 And Will Redirect To Facebook Gaming (By: @nateandrews)

A lot of Giant Bomb community members are still in shock at the recently announced shutdown of Mixer. Join the discussion about the announcement and share how you feel using the link above!

Baldur's Gate 3 - D&D Live 2020 Demo Gameplay Discussion Thread (By: @mrmazz)

I think I speak for everyone in saying Larian's take on Baldur's Gate III looks interesting, but I do not know if they will pull it off.
I think I speak for everyone in saying Larian's take on Baldur's Gate III looks interesting, but I do not know if they will pull it off.

There was a demo for Baldur's Gate 3 during D&D Live 2020! Give it a watch and join the community discussion thread about the good and bad of the direction Larian Studios is taking with the game!

Do People Really Think The Last of Us Part II Is Too Violent? (By: @drbroel)

Here's a link to the community discussion about the level of violence depicted in The Last of Us Part II. Did the violence make you feel uncomfortable? Share your thoughts regardless of what they may be.

Lists

You have my ax Moosey.
You have my ax Moosey.

Ranking of Goros (By: @mooseymcman)

If you are in need of a good laugh, then check out MooseyMcMan's list on Giant Bomb ranking the best video game characters whose first name is "Goro!"

Resident Evil Series I've Finished (By: @hellscream)

Hellscream reviews and ranks all of the Resident Evil games they have played. See which games topped their list, and think about making a list of your own!

Our First GOTY of the Year 2020 (By: @lcom)

LCom approached their 2020 GOTY list a little differently than most: they had their list be a joint-agreement with their partner. Give it a read and check out the 3+ hour deliberation they recorded.

Reviews

• Is Childrean of Morta a rogue-lite for skeptics? Read RioStarwind's review to find out!
    Is Childrean of Morta a rogue-lite for skeptics? Read RioStarwind's review to find out!
    @willin shares in their review of The Last of Us Part II to detail why they found the game to be physically and emotionally exhausting in a way that they did not enjoy even the slightest.
  • @riostarwind details why they think Children Of Morta is one of those rogue-lite games that puts all the different pieces together in a fun way.

Wikis

Nice

NICE!
NICE!

As seen in the Tweets section, this is the 6,969th page @marino has created on the site and I think we can all agree that it is... NICE!

sicamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Abby will be taking the week off and when they return they will log off from social media entirely. Please respect their decision to do so on the site.

I interpreted this as logging off social media just for the week.

LyndBako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By LyndBako
BobaTrainwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The question on everyone's minds remains unanswered!

Where the flippin' heck is Jeff's Trackmania stream?

#ReleaseTheTrackmaniaStream

Avatar image for deactivated-647f76b346730
deactivated-647f76b346730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madmatt213: Yes please! I feel like I see/hear Jeff will be streaming and don't see archives very often. Always love his solo stuff.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

This is news to me that BIGGER has become a meme. I enjoy this meme.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I am SO BAFFLED by how memes work/proliferate.

That's TWICE Giant Bomb has shown up outside their core context and YEARS after the fact to blow up the internet.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

bigger

Dr_Mel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sto_Ln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sto_Ln

BIGGER!!!

adamfedoruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

bigger?

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Ravelle

@sicamore:

That's what she says yes. "Logging off from social media starting now" because her vacation starts.

"Hi everyone! I am taking next week off from work and I am going to probably get off of social media completely starting now. Cya later!"

Marino's messaging is a bit weird, she said nothing about completing going off the grid when she returns.

I too barely touch my phone when I'm off on holiday and want a piece of rest.

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel honored being on this list again! Thanks for the shout out! Oh and also "Bigger!"

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BIGGER!

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By alternate

@ravelle said:

@sicamore:

That's what she says yes. "Logging off from social media starting now" because her vacation starts.

"Hi everyone! I am taking next week off from work and I am going to probably get off of social media completely starting now. Cya later!"

Marino's messaging is a bit weird, she said nothing about completing going off the grid when she returns.

Zombiepie writes it and Marino posts it. But yeah, I read it as off socials for a week.

I can't see Abby being chased off twitter, besides where would she practice her joke writing :P

NickFoley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, she's off social media for the entirety of her vacation. Abby's jokes will return after vacation ends.

grim_wreeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Sad Jeff is something else, well done @DigitalLogjam . I kind of want to make it my wallpaper

shades846

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Ok the link to the fourm post for the spoiler discussion is broken for Last of Us part 2

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Marino  Staff

Ok the link to the fourm post for the spoiler discussion is broken for Last of Us part 2

https://www.giantbomb.com/the-last-of-us-part-ii/3030-57216/forums/spoiler-discussion-for-those-that-have-completed-t-1883134/

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

Hey I made it on the Community spotlight. I just wish it was something a bit more positive than fucking Last of Us Part II

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By ZombiePie

Yeah, she's off social media for the entirety of her vacation. Abby's jokes will return after vacation ends.

@ravelle said:

@sicamore:

Zombiepie writes it and Marino posts it. But yeah, I read it as off socials for a week.

I can't see Abby being chased off twitter, besides where would she practice her joke writing :P

Alright everyone, yes, this was a miss on my part and I apologize for the confusion!

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, someone sent me a link to a Jeff "Bigger" meme, and it had hentai.

Please, don't do that.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not understand the context of that Sad Jeff picture but it's incredibly emotive.

Also, that first BIGGER meme of Serbia growing in a 4X game was so good that I loaded up Civ 5 for the first time in 7 years and lost my entire weekend to it. Thank you weird meme creators.

MaikeruWiruson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congratulations on your meme success, Jeff. I'm sure you're very proud.

vektroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing "Sad Jeff" every time I opened my browser the past day or two has been pretty great.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Just wait until the internet finds out that Bigger Guy was in the same room as Blinking White Guy!

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

BobaTrainwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BTStreleckis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allthedinos: Or that Bigger Guy caused Blinking Guy to blink!

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie I made a thing!

Jan Snap is always on the lookout for the best Pokemon photo.
Jan Snap is always on the lookout for the best Pokemon photo.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@marino I finally got off my duff and made two emotes for BIGGER

No Caption Provided

and YEAH BIGGER

No Caption Provided

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino I finally got off my duff and made two emotes for BIGGER

No Caption Provided

and YEAH BIGGER

No Caption Provided

I'm definitely not the person who can add emotes into chat, but I'll see what I can do.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Marino  Staff
Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers