Things you vehemently disagree with the Giant Bomb crew on?

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#51  Edited By TepidShark

None of them seem to be into Kingdom Hearts.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By ImperiousRix
@Gorikka said:
"@neoepoch:
@ImperiousRix:I have to take my headphones off whenever Jeff starts talking about Star Wars. "
I've thought of doing the same, but then HE wins.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Dalai
@Claude said:
" @Dalai said:
" I don't feel like angering the entire staff right now. Plus I don't think I have 10 hours to list my disagreements. "
Don't listen to this Lama, he killed Dave in his alternate history blog... and at a young age. "
It's how alternate Dave would want it.
billygoat117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By billygoat117

I don't remember exactly which of the four this applies to, but I know two of them hate hate HATE inverted controls. I think it's Ryan and Jeff. I don't get how you can NOT play a shooter with inverted controls.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55  Edited By EvilTwin

I completely respect their opinions, but Ryan once said "fuck Bob Dylan" which did not go over well with me.  Also, Star Wars > Star Trek.  Though, I'm a fan of Star Trek as well. 

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Leptok
@DCFGS3 said:
" I think they have an overly console based approach, not enough pc stuff is done, and what is is usually not taken seriously or just goes over their heads. I don't want to offend the guys but I just get the feeling that they're 'dumb' gamers. They like the cheap thrills and flashing colours, and can recognise quality (like Heavy rain), but at the same time aren't willing to go further into a game than just face value. "
Yeah that. 

And they always seem to hate on weed. 
 Anime is ok.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@FunExplosions said:
"  @Turambar said:

" @Th3_James said:

" Their entitlement to their own opinions. "
And so does the OP."
None of this makes any sense.   And I don't disagree with them on many things. Jeff's Bionic Commando score was just plain wrong (and yes, I played, beat, and returned the game... because of his review, nonetheless). And although I love most elements of science fiction, I have never seen a full episode of Star Trek, and have zero desire to. Can't think of much else. Hmm... I guess Dave's fascination with Dragon Age is a little on the extreme side. I love the game and all, but he seems to see greatness that isn't there.   I agree with them on disliking a lot of what Star Wars is and has become. The original trilogy was good enough, at least for all the minds it opened, and for the roads it paved in the film industry. I don't have to state why the latest three suck.   I agree with Ryan's insanely hilarious declaration of, "Well, it's anime... so it sucks." I laughed so hard when I heard that. There are a couple exceptions, of course, but shows like DBZ, any of those weird/lame Adult Swim weekend animes, and Naruto (I don't get it. Isn't that a kids show?) are just colorful demonstrations of bad acting, childish scripting, pretentious dialogue, -- and strangely enough -- sometimes, just plain boring TV. "
I'm going to say this in Naruto's defense.. They make a few of the character's extremely like-able and make you care about them.  It starts off slow, but in about 15 or 20 episodes I was hooked.  I don't like most anime, but I enjoy Naruto for its story, Death Note for its story, DBZ for its ridiculous action, and a few others.
Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By Not_Rage

I didn't agree with the following quote in Brad's Avatar review:
 " Playing this mediocre tie-in shooter might make you want to skip James Cameron's latest movie completely."
http://www.giantbomb.com/james-camerons-avatar-the-game/61-26589/reviews/

Almost  all movie games are bad, but they have nothing to do with the quality of the movie. If I played the awful Walle game, Am I going to say you shouldn't watch the movie because the game was bad.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Nick

I disagree with Jeff's opinions about Star Wars, and Seinfeld.
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#60  Edited By ZombiePie
@Dalai said:
" @Claude said:
" @Dalai said:
" I don't feel like angering the entire staff right now. Plus I don't think I have 10 hours to list my disagreements. "
Don't listen to this Lama, he killed Dave in his alternate history blog... and at a young age. "
It's how alternate Dave would want it. "
You're just bitter that Jeff told you to go suck shit out of a lead pipe once.
rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By rateoforange
@DCFGS3 said:
" I think they have an overly console based approach, not enough pc stuff is done, and what is is usually not taken seriously or just goes over their heads. I don't want to offend the guys but I just get the feeling that they're 'dumb' gamers. They like the cheap thrills and flashing colours, and can recognise quality (like Heavy rain), but at the same time aren't willing to go further into a game than just face value. "
I think part of it is that they're all console gamers at heart and, while they know intellectually that the PC is a different beast, they can't accept the jank that comes with the platform. Jeff is especially guilty of this. They expect every game to work immediately, to be virtually bug free, etc; as if it were a console. They're not accustomed to patching software, going onto forums to find workarounds, or even checking your rig to see if everything is working properly. Heck, sometimes you just have to wait for the company to release a patch.

Anyone who plays games on the PC regularly knows that playing a new game is like russian roulette with two bullets. It's always been like this and will always be like this. I'm sure snide knows this better than anyone, with his predilection for eastern bloc titles.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#62  Edited By breadfan

Ryan once said fuck Bob Dylan. Fuck you Mr. Davis. But seriously, I may not agree with a lot of things the crew says, but it doesn't really bother me.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#63  Edited By Claude
@ZombiePie said:
" @Dalai said:
" @Claude said:
" @Dalai said:
You're just bitter that Jeff told you to go suck shit out of a lead pipe once. "
Oh god, he hasn't got to Jeff in his alternate history yet. Remember Dalai, remember.
Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I just turn down the volume on the Bombcast if Majora's Mask is ever mentioned (thankfully that's only been like twice). Jeff is a really smart guy, so it kind of makes me feel bad when I want to kill him just for having an opinion.  

Same for anything about the PC as a platform in the present day (as opposed to their great conversations about old PCs and PC gaming). Can't listen to it.

Other than that, and the fact that Ryan is somehow the only one in the office who realizes how good Die Hard 3 is, I totally see where each of them is coming from and agree with them most of the time.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rateoforange said:
" @DCFGS3 said:
I think part of it is that they're all console gamers at heart and, while they know intellectually that the PC is a different beast, they can't accept the jank that comes with the platform. Jeff is especially guilty of this. They expect every game to work immediately, to be virtually bug free, etc; as if it were a console. They're not accustomed to patching software, going onto forums to find workarounds, or even checking your rig to see if everything is working properly. Heck, sometimes you just have to wait for the company to release a patch.  Anyone who plays games on the PC regularly knows that playing a new game is like russian roulette with two bullets. It's always been like this and will always be like this. I'm sure snide knows this better than anyone, with his predilection for eastern bloc titles. "
That's what I hate about PC, but I still play quite a bit of PC games.  It seems if there is a problem with a game though, I always get it.  I don't think one game on my steam account has NOT had a problem yet.  Kinda sucks :(.
CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#66  Edited By CoolDrMoney

The part where Jeff says Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the first bad Sonic game is way wrong

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By fishmicmuffin
@Lamashtu said:
"  2. Them knocking on RTSes for becoming too complicated: I think back to Jeff's sentiments of Silent Service: "Most kids aren't totally stupid to not be able to pick up on the nuances of a game." Given that 10% of an RTS is based on knowledge of the mechanics and the other 90% on feint and psychology, as long as they're able to pick up on games like Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter, they could be at least respectable players at RTSes. "
I agree with you on RTS games. I was born and raised on RTS games so I love them to death. And I also don't think that they're terribly complicated. Being good at an RTS is essentially knowing how to make the person you are playing against panic. If you can make them panic then they make mistakes, and if they are making mistakes and you aren't, you generally win.
sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By sdauz

PC gaming in general, they seem to think of pc gaming and especially RTS as some sort of alien style of gaming. This is really sad and disappointing. When I heard their views that RTS should go back to the simplicity of the 1990s I became even more disheartened. Their opinions on dedicated servers is even worse. Sadly the world seems to be passing PCs by...

RainbowRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By RainbowRaccoon

Ryan once said "fuck Tool and everyone who likes them".  I sat there furious thinking of all the ways he was wrong until I realized how silly I was being.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By rateoforange
@xobballox said:
That's what I hate about PC, but I still play quite a bit of PC games.  It seems if there is a problem with a game though, I always get it.  I don't think one game on my steam account has NOT had a problem yet.  Kinda sucks :(. "
Yeah, it does. But when the room is dark and I have my hands on the mouse and my nostromo, reality just melts away. I forget about everything but the game. I never get that feeling when I'm holding my controller and sitting 6 feet from my television. It's a big television, but it just doesn't feel the same, you know? I am always aware that I am a guy holding a controller in my living room.

It's a great feeling, and I'm willing to (and do) go to great lengths for it. Maybe it has something to do with growing up on PC games.
CaptainMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By CaptainMax

Ryans dislike of yoshi.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@RainbowRaccoon said:
" Ryan once said "fuck Tool and everyone who likes them".  I sat there furious thinking of all the ways he was wrong until I realized how silly I was being. "
Yeah that would have made me mad if I heard it.

Fuck Lady Gaga and everyone who likes her.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sdauz said:

" PC gaming in general, they seem to think of pc gaming and especially RTS as some sort of alien style of gaming. This is really sad and disappointing. When I heard their views that RTS should go back to the simplicity of the 1990s I became even more disheartened. Their opinions on dedicated servers is even worse. Sadly the world seems to be passing PCs by... "

Their dislike of PCs is a bit annoying.

Infact, them completely dismissing anything they don't like/agree with kinda bums me out. 

I still enjoy listening to them though, so that is what it is.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Dalai
@ZombiePie said:
" @Dalai said:
" @Claude said:
" @Dalai said:
You're just bitter that Jeff told you to go suck shit out of a lead pipe once. "

WarioWare: Smooth Shit!
WarioWare: Smooth Shit!
I still have the boxart. 

And we totally disagree on WarioWare.
Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Grimace

I disagree with Ryan about Brutal Legend but then again, he isn't unique in his opinion and I disagree with Jeff when it comes to Mortal Kombat vs DC.  

That's about it.

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Chuggsy

I remember a while ago how they disliked Kingdom Hearts, I can't really remember.  I don't blame them to be honest, it's a silly game, but I still love it for some reason and that kinda bummed me out. No big deal.

rt44tbtb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By rt44tbtb4

Mostly off topic, I just wanted to voice my complaint. Brad stated when talking about Heavy Rain that it was "very Twin Peaksy" Yet later on, he admitted, along with Vinny, that he had never seen an episode of Twin Peaks. I find this very alarming, he is regurgitating someone's view on the game as his own without claiming that it was not his original commentary. This does not seem like a very good thing to do, in an editorial journalistic sense.

MichaelScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By MichaelScott

Probably Ryan's dislike of Yoshi. I personally think Yoshi's Island>any 2D Mario platformer, save for maybe Super Mario World.

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By insouciant

I disagree that beverages are interesting things to talk about in the bombcast.
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#80  Edited By veektarius

I dunno if their avoidance of long and complicated games like Total War is rooted in any opinion or simply a lack of time, but me, I couldn't do without em.

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By FrankWeidner

Energy drinks are super-gross, and they repeatedly recognize how gross they are (usually by gagging during a podcast after sipping one), yet they keep on drinking them.  

I just don't understand. I need to send these guys a coffee maker.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By rateoforange

Oh yeah, and one other thing: Jeff was a little narrowminded about Borderlands classing. It was always Roland, Roland, Roland. I played Lilith and tore shit up. In fact I can barely imagine playing that game without the awesomeness that is phasewalk.

I always pick a weird class on the first playthrough. It's way fun, because they're very powerful in specific situations. Setting up those situations, and making sure that the battles are played out on your terms--that's the fun of playing mage-type characters. Maybe you eat some more dirt in the process, but it's not like dying in a videogame is a big deal.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Ryan and Jeff need to go on diets.  I disagree with them drinking energy drinks.  Yes I am their mother.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#84  Edited By Claude
@bassboy2100 said:
" Mostly off topic, I just wanted to voice my complaint. Brad stated when talking about Heavy Rain that it was "very Twin Peaksy" Yet later on, he admitted, along with Vinny, that he had never seen an episode of Twin Peaks. I find this very alarming, he is regurgitating someone's view on the game as his own without claiming that it was not his original commentary. This does not seem like a very good thing to do, in an editorial journalistic sense. "
That's a good one. He's using pop culture references to describe something. Makes you wonder doesn't it. How much does pop culture alienate our true opinions?
Synchronatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Synchronatic

Demon's Souls!!!

They never gave it a chance!

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By rateoforange
@bassboy2100 said:
" Mostly off topic, I just wanted to voice my complaint. Brad stated when talking about Heavy Rain that it was "very Twin Peaksy" Yet later on, he admitted, along with Vinny, that he had never seen an episode of Twin Peaks. I find this very alarming, he is regurgitating someone's view on the game as his own without claiming that it was not his original commentary. This does not seem like a very good thing to do, in an editorial journalistic sense. "
I think I'd give that a pass, given how informal the podcasts are. If he put it in a review or a front page post and it surfaced that he was just repeating something he'd heard, I'd be a more serious breach of trust.
evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By evilhomer

their disinterest in sports game but its somewhat warranted since the annual release method doesnt leave much to cover in terms of new innovations in sports gaming.   i am interested to see what jeff does with the mlb 2k vs the show feature he is gonna do.

Mister_Snig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Mister_Snig

I agree with a lot of stuff the crew has to say. I can get behind bashing potheads, Jeff's interest in Boom Boom Dollar, Ryan's hatred of Tool, and a bunch of other stuff. But the whole "lolwut" attitude towards dedicated servers kind of irks me. 

And this isn't something I disagree with or anything (because I can't disagree with a lack of knowledge), but them trying to talk about the Metroid fiction sends me into a blind nerdrage.

hailogon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#89  Edited By hailogon_

I think having a strong opinion is far funnier than trying to please everyone. 

Sure, sometimes it'll annoy you when they disagree, but every other time it'll be that much more hilarious.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By PureRok

I disagree with them on just about everything, and we have almost nothing in common. This is why I don't read their articles or reviews. I only watch the Quick Looks, because I still find those funny.

chavafx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By chavafx

well i dont like at all the 5 star rating cuz  is not  i  wish it whas a 1 out of 10  it tells me whats more worth $65 thise days and that they take for ever to review games like gow3 or mf2
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#92  Edited By Daveyo520

Their love of Star Trek. I just don't think it is really that great, except the new movie. Star Wars is much better in my opinion then they give merit.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#93  Edited By cornbredx

I disagree with them alot from time to time. I tend to disagree with a majority of people on things, though. Thankfully I was raised to have my opinoins on stuff so I take things for what they are and use game reviewers as a way to figure out what I am looking to find out about a game and nothing more.  

I wont agree with everyone and I dont expect to. I dont come here to agree with what they say, I come here to hear what they have to say because I trust their opinoins as they've proven to me over the course of many years that while I may not agree with them they will always give an honest assesment of how the game was when they played it and thats all I want from a review.  

Its pretty tough to remain unbiased, and alot of journalist (sadly) falter and take the easy way out not looking for all the view points. Giant Bomb is guilty of this, but so is many other reviewers of any kind. 
Anyway, to remain on topic I tend to disagree with Jeff the most. He disagrees with alot of my opinoins, for instance I believe games are Art (as unconventional as it may be, all things are art, sorry but it is a fact). I think Roger Ebert (admittedly in response to a huge backlash when he said that games were not Art) said it best when he said (and I quote) "...Of course, I was asking for it [referring to the backlash to his comments]. Anything can be art. Even a can of Campbell's soup. What I should have said is that games could not be high art, as I understand it." 
Do I agree with Roger Ebert? No, I never have agreed with him on his views of what makes art, but he makes a valid point. When he refers to high art he means something that can be viewed traditionally as an example or statement of some kind. Defining art is complicated and I wont go on with the thesis I wrote for college about this discussion, but needless to say I disagree with Jeff very strongly (and I think a few others at Giant Bomb Staff) that games are not art. To me, games can even be considered High Art (See games like Shadow of the Collosus, Heavy Rain or one of many others I cannot remember at the moment because I am very tired). This is the main thing that I have never agreed with Jeff on that always sticks out in my mind because I have written so much on the subject. 

Anyway If anyones interested in the article Roger Ebert wrote after his statements that games are not art see here: 
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070721/COMMENTARY/70721001 

Sorry, its been years so I cant find the original article where he stated games are not art nor Ron Gilbert's Response among several others because im tired. If you dig a bit, though, you may be able to read up on it if you havent. Sorry that I wrote a wall of text, I am not offended if no one reads it haha
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#94  Edited By Cube

Ryan just comes across as someone I would probably hate in real life.

He just, looks and acts like he hates everything.

thedieiscast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By thedieiscast

The only thing I remember hearing from the bomb crew and going "What!?" was when Jeff spoke ill of people who like Star Trek: DS9. I personally like the fact that it has story arches and actual character development, but I understand enjoying TNG, because of its episodic nature which doesn't require the commitment of following the show closely.

Avatar image for chocobo_blitzer
Chocobo_Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Chocobo_Blitzer

I always cringe whenever they try to talk about RTS games. They play those games at the most basic level there's really nothing for them to say. Going on how the genre became too gosh darn complicated and how playing those NO RUSH 20 MINZ maps was the good old days just makes me want to vomit. 

Also, I don't hold some kind of secret passion for the Star Wars franchise, but they bash that way too much. They talked about Old Republic briefly awhile ago and mentioned the setting being something bizzare that they couldn't relate to. They know the old trilogy and that's it. But that's retarded, Star Wars is the simplest setting ever, regardless of timeline. It's the classic story of good and evil. I mean hell, Old Republic will basically have Bob Fett and Han Solo classes, how are they getting confused?

Put on top of that the short obsession they had with the abysmal Star Trek MMO, talking about  how Star Trek is automatically more interesting than whatever unique design Bioware is attempting because lightsabers drool and Sulu rules. Yes, that's an interesting discussion guys.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By MysteriousBob

The idea that Sonic 3 is a bad game. Thats fucking horseshit. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the best single game in the series. And Sonic CD is overrated crap with the worst level design in any platformer ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ImperiousRix said:
"

That Star Wars is stupid. 
Surely, Star Wars has been privy to many stupid things, sure.  What long-running franchise isn't? 
Doesn't outweigh the impact and influence of the original trilogy, the visual splendor of Genndy Tartakovsky's animated Clone Wars (not the CGI show, although that isn't bad in certain storylines), and some of the great video game fodder produced. 
Besides that, only the occasional odd statement and review. 
Agree to disagree, that's what I say.

"
I would argue that the new Star Wars material has outweighed whatever vestige of importance the original trilogy held. I think everyone can agree that the original trilogy, in its purest format, is really significant for cinema as a genre, but Lucas's incessant tampering with the franchise has led to--literally--nothing of import, and has actually been to the detriment of the franchise. It's like the Matrix series. Whenever someone brings up the original Matrix in conversation, the sequels unconsciously come to mind, if only because they are such flagrant insults to the beauty of the original film. Same difference with the original trilogy (circa 1983) and its subsequent installments.
Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Leptok
@bassboy2100 said:
You don't necessarily need to have seen it to use it as a label.