Avatar image for rectum_abominae
rectum_abominae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rectum_abominae

meow.  meow is the word that i use right now.  why?  because that's what feels right, and you should always do what's right until it leaves abrasive scabs where you don't want them.  then you should back off until it heals, or seek medical attention.

i'm watching vinny and jeff's endurance inauguration for devil summoner 2.  i don't like jrpgs.  1.  too much exposition in the stories.  i've watched 10 minutes of this thing and all i've seen is lame FMV and shameless exposition.  rather than "so and so has trained and trained and trained for many years in this place by so and so who is the last remaining villager from blah blah blah that was burned down by such and such," why not show us a FMV of that happening?  no narration, just things happening to our hero, and our hero reacting appropriately.  that's what we call character development.  2.  random battles and weird systems.  persona 4 didn't suffer from random battles, but the whole fusing on certain dates during certain weather to get the right kind of persona is too much trouble for me.  i'd rather earn levels and shit by grinding my ass off (diablo, WoW) or use of clever strategy (fallout 3, oblivion).  i don't like an avatar fighting my battles for me either, while we're on persona.  i thought being a rpg hero was about YOU being the bad ass?  details. 

FF7 (why should we use roman numerals--are the FF games special for some reason?) has random battles, and they annoy me when i can't save wherever i want.  i like to explore, and a game like FF7 makes a dungeon take agonizingly long just because you want to open some chests.  yeah, i'm being lazy, but games are about entertainment, so if i'm not entertained, then that's enough to stop playing.  also, the music change and screen transitions annoy me.

which isn't to say oblivion and fallout 3 aren't hella flawed rpgs.  they are.  they just have flaws i don't mind.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By atejas

Now, while I agree with the gist of your points, and acknowledge the flaws in the genre, did you just imply Oblivion and Fallout 3 require clever strategy?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

The points said more about why YOU dont like JRPGs, which is not the same as "JRPGs suck". Its understandable if you dont like jrpgs (i dont like Oblivion, or most any first-person games) but that doesnt mean that first person games suck, just that they dont fit my taste

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
AgentJ said:
The points said more about why YOU dont like JRPGs, which is not the same as "JRPGs suck". Its understandable ... [more]
Exactly, Thats just how JRPGs roll. A lot of people happen to like it so I recommend just avoiding them. But just know that they most likely will be around for a while.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Red

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Less people will want to punch you in the face when you stop saying that your opinion is fact.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Shadow

There is more strategy involved in turn-based games than in any western RPG.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_A_Drain

Whaaa Whaaa I don't like JRPGs. Well newsflash, a lot of people do and noones forcing you to go out and buy them.

Also, enough fucking western games use Roman Numerals what makes them special?! It's easy to pick up on a (frankly, idiotic) point and throw it as a flaw. You argue that Final Fantasy is pretentious for using roman numerals, I can just as easily argue that you are equally as pretentious and stuck up for bringing up such a pointless design choice as an overbearing flaw.

Don't like JRPGs? Fine, I fully support your opinion. But listen to Red.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By oldschool
Red said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again:Less people will want to punch you in the face when you ... [more]
True.

I virtually live on JRPG.  It is what occupies me on the DS.  It is the ONLY reason I bought a 360 and it will help me love the Wii even more soon (as if I don't love it already).

I just don't get WRPG.  They just don't do it for me.  Each to their own I say.
danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By danielkempster
Red said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again:Less people will want to punch you in the face when you ... [more]
Well spoken, Red.

JRPGs and WRPGs are tailored to completely different kinds of audience. That doesn't make one kind superior to the other. If you don't like one of the two, then fair enough, nobody's going to force you to say otherwise. Personally, I enjoy both JRPGs and WRPGs, for very different reasons.

I'm sure most of us would like to think that Giant Bomb is a community where the users can all appreciate differences in each other's tastes and preferences. Let's try and keep it that way.
cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cc23574

Well, it's your opinion dude, I love JRPG's. You see? Opionion is not a fact.  Plus, there is more strategy in most JRPG's then in Oblivion and Fallout 3

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

Not all JRPGs are in the way you described. Many don't have random battles. Many don't have menu driven combat but instead action based. Etc. And of course, even games that do have these elements, well, as others have said, don't suck. Get off your high horse.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By MysteriousBob

The only good JRPGs for me are Pokemon and Mother. The rest are a load of pretentiouscrap. Final Fantasy VII is one of the most boring and badly written games I've ever played in my life. But whatever, each to their own.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By penguindust

The above thread comments have already established that while you have a right to dislike JRPGs, everyone else has an equal right to enjoy them.  That is the only relevant fact necessary in this discussion.

What confuses me though is your second grievance against the genre.

2.  random battles and weird systems.  persona 4 didn't suffer from random battles, but the whole fusing on certain dates during certain weather to get the right kind of persona is too much trouble for me.  i'd rather earn levels and shit by grinding my ass off (diablo, WoW) or use of clever strategy (fallout 3, oblivion).  i don't like an avatar fighting my battles for me either, while we're on persona.  i thought being a rpg hero was about YOU being the bad ass?  details.
Why would the complexity of Persona 4's fuse system be troublesome when you admit to enjoying clever strategies?  For me, much of the strategy comes from assembling those perfect fusings.  Just like positioning your combatants for the perfect move in any turn-based strategy game, setting up the required conditions to achieve the perfect avatar can be equally challenging.  It's a different sort of combat puzzle, but one that can be rewarding as well.  Also, the personas of the hero are part of him.  I don't see any difference between the persona tossing off an Agi-class spell and any mage using a fireball.  I could see your point if these personas were tradeable like pokemon, but they are not (as far as I know).

Additionally, I don't understand your acceptance of the grind process found in Diablo while dismissing random battles found in some JRPGs.  How are they really any different?  The end result of both is experience and loot.  Admittedly, less loot in many JRPGs, but there is still a percentage chance of a specific drop associated with each mob as there would be in any Western RPG.  Whether you are slaughtering spiders for webbing in WoW or Hulkasauruses for scales in Dragon Quest, you're looking for a certain item from a monster known to drop that item and while doing so, you are earning XP and gold. 

I found your post to be well written even if I don't agree with your conclusions, but I would be remiss if I didn't chide you for the lack of capital letters present in your post.  Looking over your past posts I see that this particular omission of yours is unusual.  I can only assume that your shift key was broken or you just ended a WoW session where no one uses them either.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Meowayne
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Disgaeamad
Red said:
High-five for pointing that out before I did.
High-five for pointing that out before I did.

While I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I dislike the fact that most people who give reasons for JRPGs being bad have a tendency to employ double standards, enjoying other genres despite them containing the same flaws which they've pointed out in the JRPG genre.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By toowalrus

I'm not a huge fan of random encounter battles ether, but not all JRPG's suck because of them.

Kenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kenny

I think you got a little confused with the Endurance Look they posted, it was a quick look of the game but since it was an hour long they called it the Endurance Look. Well that's what I took from it anyways, they even said that they don't think they could actually really get into the game or at least it's not something they could play together like they did Persona 4. Anyways, like everyone else was saying that's just your personal preference and not a fact. I think that the game mechanics like random battles can work in some games while being extremely annoying in others. For instance in a game like Pokemon you know where you will get into random battles and where you won't so you are able to avoid it and anticipate it. But in a Final Fantasy game me walking three feet and then fighting something that was previously nonexistent on the map seems out of place and can get annoying depending on the frequency of the battles. Even then, that one mechanic does not make the game suck nor does it mean me disliking that mechanic means that everyone should as well.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By suneku

I agree with everyone else in this thread.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Staff said:
Has been deleted..
Are you implying that stealth in either of those games require strategy?  It's completely stat based.  Maybe not as much as Morrowind, but still quite a bit.  

And  you're also acting like stealth isn't present in any jrpgs, which you're wrong about.
Hell, play Lost Odyssey for a challenging rpg.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By keyhunter

JRPG's are totally a chore. I play them because I like bad anime apparently, and that's all they really are. Bad anime with some gameplay tacked on. Lost Odyssey and Enchanted arms combat on the other hand are actually pretty tactical and enjoyable.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_A_Drain

Strategy in most traditional JRPGs is present, if you can't see it that's your problem.

Most of it is in how you build your character and set up your party.

Just because the bulk of the strategy happens before you get into combat doesn't mean its not there. Try playing Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne without employing a lot of thought and strategy, it simply won't work, unless you take full advantage of the abilities offered to you properly, you won't be able to get through the game. Leveling up lots simply won't do it like in a lot of games, and there is no 'best team' or 'best setup' either as your need change from location to location.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By atejas
Shadow said:
There is more strategy involved in turn-based games than in any western RPG.
What about turn based wRPGs? Those, by FAR, tend to have the best combat.

No Caption Provided

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
atejas said:
Shadow said: There is more strategy involved in turn-based games than in any western RPG. .....What about turn based wRPGs? ... [more]

Strategy? Not really.
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#24  Edited By ZombiePie

Goddamn it I have had to say it numerous times before and now I'm going to have to say it again...

"Different strokes for different folks, nothing more and nothing less."

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#25  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I am not a huge fan of J-RPGs, or at least Final Fantasy, but Persona 3 and 4 are awesome enough that I really don't care.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_A_Drain
@atejas:

The word you're looking for is 'different' not 'best'.

If you prefer one over the other, fantastic. But don't expect everyone else to follow suit. Different people will enjoy different types of RPG combat, and others such as myself are able to enjoy almost all of them regardless of their differences.
Hilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hilbert
rectum_abominae said:
meow.  meow is the word that i use right now.  why?  because that's what feels right, and you should always ... [more]

I don't understand what this topic is good for, should we change our taste now, according to the opinion of a guy called rectum? (even if it was fluffy bunny)

Do you intend to do something exciting like time traveling to the year 1997 to stop Squaresoft from releasing FFVII? Mind you he's bashing a 12 year old game and then compares it to fallout 3 that came out 6 months ago. 
Is this topic for people who want to talk about "not liking" JRPGs or Final Fantasy?

Are you a princess, is this your party where you can troll when you want to?

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NukeGoBoom

There are a lot of great RPGs that use gameplay just as a vessle for the story and other games are the opposite.
The whole Mother/Earthbound franchise would be shit without the story.
And Monster Hunter would be shit without the gameplay.
The angsty spiky haired protagonist with epic adventure in a land far far away is the bald space marine of japan so dont consider all JRPGs good.Sometimes unique gems come out aspecially the FF franchise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You should never have to grind in a game.

Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By guerrilla_mason
Staff said:
Has been deleted..
Not only are your reasons flawed, because they are listed as facts and not opinions.  Also, it was kind of poorly written, and I hate when people rebuke their sloppiness with 'I wrote it late.'  Wait till the morning, buddy.
zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zagzagovich

What is the point of all this talk?  OP is clearly just angered by the horrible storytelling of Devil Summoner 2 (I actually fell asleep to it last night). His first  "point" was an observation and second one was an afterthought of that. And even if they were well thought out points there really is no point in talking about them. All you get is some people who love the genre raging and obviously still loving the games and some people who agree just because they never liked the genre. In the end nobody gets nothing. And even if some poor guy who was telling himself that he loves the genre actually changes his mind what is the point of that? Now he just can't enjoy this genre. What's good in that? Do you really need all this negativity and hate? Do you guys really wake up in the morning thinking "Damn those people who enjoy something that I hate!"? Save yourself some nerves and stop caring.

P.S.
That was pretty much Louie CK's bit about people who hate gay people. I just made it longer and not funny. Check him out if he is in your area. I wish I could but it seems that American stand up doesn't work here very well.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

To be honest, even to me, Devil Summoner looks kind of ergh....

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#34  Edited By Hailinel
Staff said:
Has been deleted..
4chan rage images will win you no arguments.

As someone that's played RPGs since Dragon Warrior on the NES, the JRPG is one of my favorite genres.  I generally like the plots, even if they aren't always the most complex, the battle systems, and pretty much everything else the genre is known for.  However, it is true that not all JRPGs are good games, and often abuse concepts like random battles to an absurd degree.  These games should be justly called out for what they do wrong, just like an FPS or western RPG should be called out for their own faults.

And to be perfectly honest, I just really can't get behind western RPGs.  I've tried a number of them over the years, ranging from Diablo and Diablo II, to Icewind Dale, to the more recent Oblivion and Fallout 3.  I'm currently trying to give Fallout 3 a second chance, as some of the game's most glaring issues on the PS3 were fixed with a patch, but so far it's very much the same story.  The game's sense of freedom feels too stringent and artificial.  Its morality system is just too basic, and the game's flow isn't as narrative-driven as I would like.  I'll probably play it a bit more before the Memorial Day weekend is over and then never touch it again.
billcosby2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By billcosby2004

I had never been a big JRPG fan my whole gaming life, gave a few Final Fantasy's a chance over the years but the random battles, turn based gameplay and grinding always put me off a bit.  Then last year I decided to give Lost Odyssey a shot for $10, and ended up really loving it.  That game is as traditional as a JRPG gets for the most part, very similar to games that I just couldn't get into previously.  So I don't think you can really generalize an entire genre and say it flat out  "sucks", its just the stuff you've played so far hasn't been for you.

rectum_abominae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By rectum_abominae

No Caption Provided

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Systech

JRPGs were at their prime in the 90s. Now, this isn't the case. It's a shame that the Japanese developers don't step out a little bit more.

rectum_abominae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rectum_abominae
@billcosby2004: Actually, Chrono Trigger was for me.  FFT was for me.  FF12 is the bees knees too.  I like JRPGs.  They just suck.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JJOR64

JRPGS FTW.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Systech said:
JRPGs were at their prime in the 90s. Now, this isn't the case. It's a shame that the Japanese developers ... [more]

Jrpgs have been quite innovative as of late.   Yea, you don't know what you're talking about.
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Disgaeamad

Another thing I'd like to add is that many JRPGs don't require any grinding whatsoever. What they do require, as previously stated in this thread, is a good strategy that'll allow you to beat a boss at your current level. The only time that grinding can be seen as something necessary is when you're going up against a boss/enemy which is much stronger than the final boss of the game, but even then, people can find ways to defeat them at extremely low levels.

Systech said:
JRPGs were at their prime in the 90s. Now, this isn't the case. It's a shame that the Japanese developers ... [more]
This statement could be applied to a variety of different genres.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Disgaeamad said:
Another thing I'd like to add is that many JRPGs don't require any grinding whatsoever. What they do require, as ... [more]
How about End of Eternity (or Resonance of Fate now? That looks like it could be potentially amazing

@Disgaeamad said:
"Another thing I'd like to add is that many JRPGs don't require any grinding whatsoever. What they do require, as previously stated in this thread, is a good strategy that'll allow you to beat a boss at your current level. The only time that grinding can be seen as something necessary is when you're going up against a boss/enemy which is much stronger than the final boss of the game, but even then, people can find ways to defeat them at extremely low levels.

systech said:
JRPGs were at their prime in the 90s. Now, this isn't the case. It's a shame that the Japanese developers don't step out a little bit more.
This statement could be applied to a variety of different genres."
Grinding in JRPGs isn't really a huge thing in comparison to say, wrpgs.  It's not really something I've ever had to do, save some ps1 games. MMOs are the only genre I've felt I just grinded without goal

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
JJWeatherman said:
AgentJ said: The points said more about why YOU dont like JRPGs, which is not the same as "JRPGs suck". ... [more]

Don't go around telling people to avoid games that they don't like you'll ruin the internet!
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_A_Drain
rectum_abominae said:
@billcosby2004: Actually, Chrono Trigger was for me.  FFT was for me.  FF12 is the bees knees too.  I like JRPGs.  ... [more]

There you go with that "My opinion = fact" thing again.
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Seedofpower
Red said:
If you put that on a t-shirt maybe people will listen to you.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By atejas
The_A_Drain said:
@atejas: The word you're looking for is 'different' not 'best'.If you prefer one over the other, fantastic. But don't expect ... [more]
I suppose you have a point as far as 'styles' are concerned. That being said, things like complexity and balance are objective. That's why I may prefer UT to Quake while acknowledging that Quake is, overall, a more balanced and competitive FPS. Same with Dawn of War to Starcraft.

SmugDarkLoser said:
atejas said: Shadow said: There is more strategy involved in turn-based games than in any western RPG. .....What about turn ... [more]

Have you even played Baldur's Gate II?
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_A_Drain
@atejas: I agree with the sentiment, but i'd argue balance is not subjective in the slightest.

Besides, my overall point was that it's perfectly fine for people to prefer one thing over another, but stating it as fact just aggravates people.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By atejas
@The_A_Drain: I'm saying that balance is objective. And that comparing the combat of Final Fantasy and Baldur's Gate is the equivalent of comparing that of Valkyria Chronicles and X-COM.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_A_Drain

Ohh yeah, my apologies I misread your post.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By Fallen189

>i don't like an avatar fighting my battles for me either, while we're on persona.  i thought being a rpg hero was about YOU being the bad ass?

brb, going into tron