Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
What if it snowed in Times Square?
We're here, less than a week before E3, and most game companies have gone into quiet mode as they stealthily prepare for the show. It's actually kind of nice to see, because the general lack of hard info out there means that this year's show will actually have meaningful announcements, whereas the last couple of years have been a bit dry. But that doesn't mean that we're entirely without news this week. This morning, we woke up to a pair of new game announcements for stuff that'll be shown at E3 next week.

Ubisoft has confirmed that there will be another game in the Shaun White series, and this one will be coming exclusively to the Wii. Called Shaun White Snowboarding: World Stage (or SWSWS!), the game will follow up on the original with bigger stuff to board on, like a half-pipe in the middle of Times Square. SWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWS will be out in Q4.

THQ also announced a little something-something for the show next week. Kaos Studios is hard at work on a new first-person shooter called Homefront. The game will predict a pretty dark near-future. It's set in the year 2027, and you'll be a part of the American Civilian Resistance as you fight to reclaim American soil from North Koreans. It's being written by John Milius, who worked on the movie Red Dawn, so... that could be cool? It's due on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. Kaos Studios, in case you have forgotten, is the team that did Frontlines: Fuel of War.

What more can we expect to see before the big show kicks off next week? Probably not too much more. I have to imagine anyone that could be writing up a press release about a new game is probably sitting in all-day meetings for the rest of the week, going over exactly how they want next week to go down.
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
We're here, less than a week before E3, and most game companies have gone into quiet mode as they stealthily prepare for the show. It's actually kind of nice to see, because the general lack of hard info out there means that this year's show will actually have meaningful announcements, whereas the last couple of years have been a bit dry. But that doesn't mean that we're entirely without news this week. This morning, we woke up to a pair of new game announcements for stuff that'll be shown at E3 next week.

Ubisoft has confirmed that there will be another game in the Shaun White series, and this one will be coming exclusively to the Wii. Called Shaun White Snowboarding: World Stage (or SWSWS!), the game will follow up on the original with bigger stuff to board on, like a half-pipe in the middle of Times Square. SWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWS will be out in Q4.

THQ also announced a little something-something for the show next week. Kaos Studios is hard at work on a new first-person shooter called Homefront. The game will predict a pretty dark near-future. It's set in the year 2027, and you'll be a part of the American Civilian Resistance as you fight to reclaim American soil from North Koreans. It's being written by John Milius, who worked on the movie Red Dawn, so... that could be cool? It's due on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. Kaos Studios, in case you have forgotten, is the team that did Frontlines: Fuel of War.

What more can we expect to see before the big show kicks off next week? Probably not too much more. I have to imagine anyone that could be writing up a press release about a new game is probably sitting in all-day meetings for the rest of the week, going over exactly how they want next week to go down.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

Homefronts storyline sounds a little close to home given whats going on right now xD

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Death_Unicorn

North Koreans? Naaaaaaa, that could never happen...
However, a half-pipe in times square, now that's plausible.
SWSWSWSWSWSWSWFTW.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By penguindust

North Koreans are the only nation that's still socially acceptable to cast as the black-hearted villain.  And, I hear there is a Red Dawn remake in the works. 

As timely as today's headlines, as they say.

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By coonce

i miss ssx :(

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OmegaPirate
coonce said:
you'll have to forgive me coonce- i misread that statement for a moment xD

But yes - fond memories of extreme SSX Awesomeness - i remember seing it as one of the first ps2 games i ever layed eyes on - it was the future - it was exciting, and it was wonderful
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jimbo

So you're saying we need a new page for palindrome game titles?

edit: I thought of PoP and WoW about 2 seconds after posting, and the crazy thing is I don't think acronyms would even count!  Screw you, palindrome page!

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By coonce
@OmegaPirate: ha! i know, dude that series was so good --- its such a shame to see EA shelving it. all of these other snowboard games are straight pretenders.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OmegaPirate
coonce said:
@OmegaPirate: ha! i know, dude that series was so good --- its such a shame to see EA shelving it. ... [more]
it was one of those games from the starting line up - alongside summoner, air blade, timesplitters and eternal ring that really convinced me that that generation of gaming was far more capable of anything else i'd exeprianced on the ps1 gen - i cant really explain it - but everything from the UI to the way the games handled just felt so exciting fresh and arcadey - something that kinda got lost even with the straight SSX sequels.

Though to be honest, i really think an ssx game on the wii would be a perfect fit nowadays, if they tried to make that kind of exaggerated physique craziness on current gen hardware- you get leisure suit larry
Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freedom Fighters already did it, and about as well as it could possibly be done since that game was fantastic.   I'll wait and see but I don't know how that game will turn out.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Black_Rose
coonce said:
Wow...for a second there I read something else o_O.

Anyway, I wasn't a fan of the first Shan White game or Frontlines so I'm not interested.
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By TheKidNixon

It is funny, I've been listening to last years E3 Bombcasts (missed them the first time around, don't look at me like that) and they talk a lot about how Shaun White lacked a lot of character. If a half-pipe in the middle of NYC doesn't count as character, I don't know what does.

Red Dawn kicks ass, also.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By RHCPfan24

SWSWSWSWSWSWSWSW should be a pleasant game for retailers to sell to nagging parents! I mean, look at that name! And another Frontlines? Or pseudo-sequel? OK, if it is....uh, better, I will play it.

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By erinfizz
@OmegaPirate:

SSX Blur on the Wii already happened.
wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By wrecks

Seems like there's been alot of announcements. Why announce shit before the show? Why have an E3?

Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Mooshu

SWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWS

Avatar image for russianblue8181
russianblue8181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By russianblue8181

Wasn't David Jaffe working on a game called Homefront with a very similar plot involving the Chinese?  If I remember correctly, it never saw fruition because of controversial decisions the character would have to make, such as choosing whether or not to shoot civilians and things like that.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Alphazero

I think I saw SWSWS at SXSW but prefer SSX.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By giyanks22

Frontlines fuel of war sucked...

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheKidNixon
Alphazero said:
I think I saw SWSWS at SXSW but prefer SSX.
I approve of a SXSW snowboarding game. We do a lot of that here in the ATX.
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

SWSWSWSWSWSWSWSWS FTW !

Yeah I really liked the first Shawn White on Wii looking forward to this one. 
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OmegaPirate
erinfizz said:
@OmegaPirate: SSX Blur on the Wii already happened.
Wow -eyes have been opened! good catch :D
ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#23  Edited By ahoodedfigure

If it snowed in Times Square, a bunch of people in lawn chairs would have to find some other place to sit since it's closed to traffic now.

@PenguinDust: Depend on who's the "socially"

Given that Milius is behind it, I doubt he'd care so much about social acceptability; he'd probably just try to think who would be most likely to do it and run with that.  I don't think North Korea is in a good position to invade a salad bowl, but those of us who live in concrete bunkers can still dream, can't they? 

Doesn't mean they can't cause trouble for their neighbors, though, obviously.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheHBK

Oh the team that did Frontlines Fuel of War?  pass!  But come on Ubisoft, your candyasses better announce GRAW 3.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Jayzilla

north korea taking over the US in 2027 what? All of a sudden, every Asian country is going to let North Korea island hop to the US? I already won't be playing that.

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Hef

They probably thought these games would get buried under all the news in E3.  And i can tell why, i doubt a lot of people are very interested in this.

Avatar image for heroicdrinkingsong
HeroicDrinkingSong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Here's hoping Homefront's multiplayer isn't broken at release like Frontlines was.

English

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By English

Glad to see that Kaos is making another game.. I really enjoyed Frontlines, regardless that many elements of the game weren't as polished as they could be. I really hope they learned from their mistakes and can make a really great game.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By baconbits33

Okay for one thing I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER LIVING IN SOUTH KOREA!!! Now the south korean military alone can wipe out North Korea, not the mention Russia (as much as they hate us, they hate north korea even more), Japan (they just hate korea), Sweden, Norway, and not to mention the US and wherever we go, the British for some reason follow. So when North Korea makes threats, they're just threats, they know the only reason they're still there, is because we aren't imperialistic.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#30  Edited By MeatSim

Come on even if it is a fictional video game it's too hard to believe that North Korean would conquer the US, China or Russia I could believe though. 

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Media_Master

SWS