• 151 results
supermariobrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By supermariobrah

I recently started playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which is awesome IMO, and was reminded about what a shoddy sequel Deus Ex: Invisible War was in the series.  While maybe not a bad game, in comparison to the original and Human Revolution it is still pretty bad.  This got me thinking about what other sequels I disliked.  Dead to Rights 2 is another example.  While DTR 1 wasn't a great game, it was still fun when it came out as where DTR 2 seemed to take everything that made the original fun and threw that out of the window.  Other sequels that come to mind are Call of Duty 3, Super Mario Bros. 2(A lot of people love this game), and a partial shout out goes to Resident Evil 5 from me.  What sequels do you think are terrible?

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Chemin
Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Canteu

Dragon Age 2

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shirogane

Any Mana series game after Legend. Especially that PS2 one, oh god.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Deranged

Crackdown 2, Gears of War 2, Operation Flashpoint: Red River,

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Azteck

I don't see how some of these are the worst sequels ever. Not even close

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Most of these games aren't really bad games, it is more about them being a disappointment when comparing them to the previous game(s) in my opinion.

Operation Flashpoint: Red River, Bioshock 2, Deus Ex: Invisible War, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky, Duke Nukem Forever, Uncharted 3, the Medal of Honor reboot, maybe Age of Empires 3 and every Command & Conquer game after Generals...

These aren't bad games, for some of them I would say that calling them bad games are insulting to them, but they just didn't deliver something I liked while I loved the previous game in the franchise.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'll just throw The After Years into the mix, since it goes out of its way to try to ruin anything you may have enjoyed about the first six games.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Video_Game_King: I'd extend that to basically any of the Final Fantasy sequels. X-2, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, etc. The After Years was particularly offensive though.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By leinad44

After reading some of these. People need to play more games. I'm going to say Turok: Evolution

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters. Ugh.

Has anyone mentioned Devil May Cry 2 yet? I have never played it but even to this day it has left a bad mark on the fans.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Master_Funk

I felt so disappointed after playing both Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2. So inferior to their predecessors .

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust
veiasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By veiasma

@Canteu said:

Dragon Age 2

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By Yanngc33

@Veiasma said:

@Canteu said:

Dragon Age 2

Dragon Age 2 isn't very good but you can't say it's the worst. I think you're forgetting Warrior Within. Now that's a shitty sequel

Fozimuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fozimuth
@Yanngc33 said:

@Veiasma said:

@Canteu said:

Dragon Age 2

Dragon Age 2 isn't very good but you can't say it's the worst. I think you're forgetting Warrior Within. Now that's a shitty sequel

At least Warrior Within made gameplay improvements good enough to carry over to the 3rd game.
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By JasonR86

The second half of Fable 3 is pretty bad. This one may sound like it is out of left field but Top Gear Rally 2 for the N64 was awful. The first Top Gear Rally was one of the best racing games on the N64. The second one was made by a different developer and they just destroyed everything that was great about the first game. I'm sure there are more but I can't think of any.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Grissefar

Any game by Obsidian.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By YI_Orange

I never played them, but I like to pretend Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 are total shit so I never play them and get constantly disappointed by the different cast of characters.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By stryker1121

@Yanngc33: The gameplay in Warrior Within was OK, but taking the fable-like feeling of Sands of Time and turning it "gritty" (complete w/ shit nu-metal soundtrack) was a huge mistake.

Icebuncle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Icebuncle

@believer258 said:

Has anyone mentioned Devil May Cry 2 yet? I have never played it but even to this day it has left a bad mark on the fans.

Actually, DMC2 was the first game that popped into my head when I read this thread. *shudder*

I'll nominate all SIlent Hill games after SH3 as well. I want Team Silent back...

Tag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tag

@Canteu said:

Dragon Age 2

what he said. After Dragon Age Origins, a game i sunk over 100 hours into, this game made me die a little on the inside.

CyborgDuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CyborgDuo

@Grissefar: KOTOR 2 had a real strong start. That weird recording that the HK had freaked me out, which is the first time in a game I felt that way. I don't even remember how or why they went to that weird planet at the end. But, man, I played that game so much. Then I found the original KOTOR and never went back.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tescovee

driv3er

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By mosespippy

@YI_Orange said:

I never played them, but I like to pretend Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 are total shit so I never play them and get constantly disappointed by the different cast of characters.

The gameplay in 2 and 3 are improved while the characters and writing of 2 are garbage. I would say VC2 does qualify to be in the discussion of worst sequels but the game mechanics themselves are a pretty big improvement. The only knock I have against 3 is that a bunch of characters from 2 make an appearance and it feels tacked on.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#26  Edited By Little_Socrates

I have mostly avoided the worst sequels ever; my top marks go to Dead Rising 2 (which goes out of its way to convince you the entire series was always clearly garbage) and Assassin's Creed Revelations (which convinced me that they have lost the thread and are treading water with that series, even if the release of AC III is working to fight that.)

For the sake of being controversial, I'll toss out there that I think HL2: Episode Two is the weakest episode and that Ocarina of Time is mundane, poorly put together scraps in comparison to Zeldas before and after.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Uncharted 3.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WickedFather

It shall and always will be Far Cry 2.  Everybody knows that.  It's etched into our bones from the minute we were born.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phish09

Super Mario Sunshine

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#30  Edited By galiant

@Grissefar said:

Any game by Obsidian.

Fallout: New Vegas didn't strike your fancy?

I'll give you a "better" worst sequel: Devil May Cry 2.

Also, for the record, I like Dragon Age 2. That game is getting far too many mentions in this thread already.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hunkulese

@Little_Socrates: You might want to look up the word worst.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By wrighteous86

Dragon Age 2, one of the only sequels that made me consider dropping a series without waiting to see what the next one looked like. They'll have to do a LOT of work on DA3 to make that series viable again.

TheStimpinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheStimpinator

@Grissefar: New Vegas wasn't bad, Obsidian didn't stray far from the Bethesda formula and made a pretty solid Fallout game... way better than KOTOR 2

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#34  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Hunkulese: I can't tell which part you're criticizing me on, but I stand by my statements. I don't even hold them to be controversial; I went back to OoT over the last year after years of rose-tinted glasses and found it incredibly poor, and I always thought that HL2E2 sucked until of its ending, which I actually barely remember. Dead Rising 2 removes what was actually arcade-y and fun about the way the original played (one look at 2x4's between the two games is enough to display the problems endemic there) and Revelations had such a boring story told so poorly that I actually didn't finish it, despite 100% completing all the cities in both ACII and Brotherhood.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By crusader8463

Dragon Age 2 was the video game equivalent to Bioware taking $60 from it's fans then kicking them the nuts, pushing them on the floor, and taking a steaming shit in their mouth. I hated everything they did with that game and it had absolutely nothing in common with what I loved about Origins other then the Dragon Age name on the box which has now been forever tainted by the stick of DA 2.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I'm going to say Devil May Cry 2 since, unlike most that's been said here, it's actually a bad game.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By TobbRobb

DMC 2, PoP:Warrior Within, Ratchet Gladiator, Gta 4, Crysis 2 and probably some more. I know the Gta 4 opinion is unpopular, but I despise that game and what it stands for.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BlatantNinja23

I'm shocked by some of the games people are listing.... Gears 2? Oblivion? Crisis Core?

@stryker1121 said:

@Yanngc33: The gameplay in Warrior Within was OK, but taking the fable-like feeling of Sands of Time and turning it "gritty" (complete w/ shit nu-metal soundtrack) was a huge mistake.

I didn't mind it... and it actually made sense within the narrative. It just didn't need the godsmack.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#40  Edited By Kidavenger

Star Control 3 Not as bad as it's made out to be, but it was a massive let down from one of my favourite games ever.

Master of Orion 3 I never actually played this one but I really liked 2 and this probably the first game I didn't buy based purely on angry internet people.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis I hated this game so much, haven't played a resident evil game since.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By redcream

No One Lives Forever 2

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kindgineer

@Veiasma said:

@Canteu said:

Dragon Age 2

I just played that and even though its not like it's predecessor how does that make it the worst sequel? I enjoyed it's combat system a lot more than I did the original.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By stryker1121

@BlatantNinja23 said:

I'm shocked by some of the games people are listing.... Gears 2? Oblivion? Crisis Core?

@stryker1121 said:

I didn't mind it... and it actually made sense within the narrative. It just didn't need the godsmack.

It made sense, just not good sense :) I was just annoyed that such an original, winsome action/adv game was busted down to the 'dark and edgy' atmosphere so many other games employ. I also missed the voice actor who played the main character. WW had some guy doing his best Wolverine #64033b gravelly tough guy voice.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By TheHT

Force Unleashed 2

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#45  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Unlike half of the games mentioned here, Master of Orion 3 is a terrible, terrible, terrible game. Not only does it replace the generally solid 4X gameplay with a crappy automated system based around heavy macro-management, but it also has what is easily the worst UI to ever be in that kind of game. Say what you will about Deus Ex Invisible War, but it's just the same kind of game as the first done incredibly poorly. Master of Orion 3 isn't the same game at all.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By Simplexity

Duke Nukem Forever.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By QuistisTrepe

The field is wide and varied, so much competition in this category. Off hand I'd have to suggest Devil May Cry 2, Xenosaga II, every Star Ocean game after the second game, and Halo 2.

EDIT: How on earth could I have left out Resident Evil 5? To see a publisher completely wipe its collective ass with a once proud franchise like that, how criminal.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By defaultprophet

Mass Effect 3 am I right guys?!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers