• 51 results
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

I recently rented a copy of Just Cause 2 and as soon as I popped open the map I got very scared. So many icons, so many percentages, so much going on with the in game hud got me wondering if I wanted to play the game anymore. I am going to play it but man for a couple minutes it all seemed very daunting and I discovered I'm scarred of most open world games because... well... there so OPEN!!!  I eventually get over this initial fear but I was wondering do any of you guys find it intimidating when you realize what your getting yourself into playing a certain game or type of game?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

EVE

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Arma II

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By carlthenimrod

I bought Civilization 4 with all the expansions over the Steam sale and I don't know where to start. I just look at my game library with great terror.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FateOfNever

Blood Bowl: Dark Elves Edition for the PC has been pretty daunting for me so far.  A friend of mine bought it and I checked out the tutorial on his computer and played a couple of one-off games and it seemed pretty interesting, but after buying the game and getting into the campaign mode for it, the game is pretty intimidating.  The tutorials tell you almost nothing about the kind of customization kind of stuff you have to work with in the campaign for making and managing your team, or strategies, or anything really.  It was the first game in a long time that I actually went and popped up not just the manual, but the strategy guide for the game that came with it on Steam.  Even then, on easy the game gives me a relative constant run for my money in even just the beginning season(s) of the campaign. 

RPG's that require me to do very specific things at very specific times (like Valkyrie Profile) to make the game go in a very specific direction are also pretty daunting for me now, after how many times I've played a game like that and screwed up a vital moment with no save point near enough to be able to change it without having to redo hours upon hours of work, they just scare me.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Pretty much any game in a genre I barely touch.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Jayzilla

any MMO. if you want the good gear like you would in any single player RPG, you have to work 10 times longer for it in MMO's.

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Ferginator4k

The Total war games.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Adamsons

Dragon Age. 

I liked the vibe when i started (The Harrowing etc) but as soon as i was out i just felt like this isn't something i'm ready to get into yet.

Edit - off topic but can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap wheel for the PC that isn't terrible?

DaManGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By DaManGB

Metal Gear Solid 4's online multiplayer very confusing stuff

JamesBoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JamesBoyce
@EpicSteve said:
" EVE "
This.  EVE Online is frighteningly expansive.  That said it's too expansive for its own good, there's literally no appeal for me.  I'm not into the idea of mining for hours then going off and doing something else while I'm mining.  Even the tutorial's about an hour+ long.
Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Slurpelve

Mass Effect, sometimes any MMO

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By matpaget

Im never daunted by open world games.
I'm much like myself when I play games at times.

When my dad and I went to London we were all by ourselves for our first day and he was very uncomfortable and daunted by how big it was and how he didn't know where anything was, but I calmed him down just by being so calm, adventurous and playful about it.
Whenever I'm in a new city, town, country or anything else I'm stoked to find a whole load of crazy shit.
 And when I see an open world game, I'm the exact same way (although it's much easier to be calm and adventurous with a video game than real life).

But a genre that does make me feel like Im in a cold pool with no shorts on are MMOs like WoW

Cefka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cefka

Most JRPGs... since I sense they will be really boring and really long. That's not always the case but I do get a daunting feeling. I have been so close to buying Star Ocean for the 360 since it is cheap... but I have not dared yet.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By DanielJW

Bioware RPGs and the majority of open world games. 

If at any point I open a map and see a clusterfuck of icons to visit, I have trouble continuing with the game.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss

DragonAge: Orgins.

I bought it on release day played it for a bit, got distracted by something else and now every time I think about going back all I can think about is the hours it'll devour.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaptainObvious

Starcraft II. I love me some good RTS games but whenever I see that I just freak out.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By WalkerTR77

Anything of the MMO/RTS variety.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Lawrens

RTS, anything in bird eye view with more than 20 objects on screen, or any rpgs with more than 10 icons that I have to highlight individually to know what they are.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By markini6

Demon's Souls seemed pretty straight forward at first (albeit difficult), but after reading the wiki it suddenly became very daunting :)

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By Tordah

Morrowind seemed very daunting at first, but after reading some excellent online guides on how to approach it I did manage to get into it. Now I'm 54 hours in and doing pretty good!

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By mylifeforAiur

MMO' s and any of the Disgaea games. 

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jacdg

Just Cause 2, completed the single player, then sold it because the world was just TOO big, I just didn't know what to do with all those options :/

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By nrain

Civilization 3 scared the shit out of me, so complicated and with very little guidance. But I got Civ 4 in the steam sale and I'm so hooked into it, the guided tutorial with creepy CG Sid Meier was just what I needed, and I played it until 4am in the morning several days in a row after I got over the OH GOD WHAT DO I DO? hump.  I'm glad I got over my fear of it especially since I'm supposed to be able to program software next year at University :S

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By simian
@markini6 said:
" Demon's Souls seemed pretty straight forward at first (albeit difficult), but after reading the wiki it suddenly became very daunting :) "
I second that.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Akeldama
@simian said:
" @markini6 said:
" Demon's Souls seemed pretty straight forward at first (albeit difficult), but after reading the wiki it suddenly became very daunting :) "
I second that. "
That game is so far from straight forward...Im over 80 hours in and Im still learning...
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HandsomeDead

Nothing. If I want to play it, I'll play it.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Jeust

Ninja Gaiden (the new one)

Kubelwagen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kubelwagen

Hearts of Iron Series. So. Scary.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitmanAgent47

The witcher, I have no idea why, it's taking forever to get out of this level. I have to investagate who is suppose to be the killer, that took like so many hours of boring crap. Everytime I play that game, I get a bit of anxiety that i'm going to get stuck in a level and not know what i'm suppose to do because of bad gameplay design.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#31  Edited By natetodamax

Oblivion as soon as I got out of the prison for the first time.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SpiralStairs

Baldur's Gate 2. So many classes to choose from, plus alignment, race, etc. Then there's all the stats you have to observe, like the armor class, and Buffs/debuffs and whatnot. Crazy game.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#33  Edited By Symphony

Civilization, and just about any RTS.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@Jayzilla: MMO's
lewigi2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lewigi2012

RTSs. I've never gotten on well with them and the thought of playing one just... I'm so crap at them XD

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MrKlorox

Mount & Blade Warband multiplayer seems really daunting to me. And the singleplayer did as well until I found out how to make it even easier than the settings will allow. Now I'm almost ready to try with an un-buffed character and normal difficulty settings.

I always feel overwhelmed when I recruit a high level character in RPGs because I have to adjust my tactics to the already developed character stats. And new large open areas are daunting to me in cRPGs.

STALKER was daunting at first, and the game absolutely benefited from it. Being dropped into the Zone with no idea what to do other than to survive and find and kill a man named Strelok was an incredible experience the first time (well... once I figured out how to darken the nights). Being daunting is a necessary element in survival horror games.

But it hampered Morrowind more than it helped.

@carlthenimrod said:

" I bought Civilization 4 with all the expansions over the Steam sale and I don't know where to start. I just look at my game library with great terror. "

This is the easiest one to fix. The expansions add on top of the core game, so play the latest one which is Beyond the Sword. If you got Colonization with the pack, that's pretty much a different game that you should play after you familiarize yourself with Civ4. Just dive in and play around until you get the basic idea, then open up the worldbuilder menu from inside the game and buff-up your armies or resources or technology and have fun. Then you can start playing it properly after you get the hang of it with cheat games.
carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By carlthenimrod
@MrKlorox said:
" This is the easiest one to fix. The expansions add on top of the core game, so play the latest one which is Beyond the Sword. If you got Colonization with the pack, that's pretty much a different game that you should play after you familiarize yourself with Civ4. Just dive in and play around until you get the basic idea, then open up the worldbuilder menu from inside the game and buff-up your armies or resources or technology and have fun. Then you can start playing it properly after you get the hang of it with cheat games. "
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#38  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

World of Warcraft.  I spent about a month or two playing it, just long enough to know that I would need to invest far too much time into it to even begin to understand it.  That's sort of hypocritical, since I played a ton of Lord of the Rings Online.

tnecniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tnecniv
@carlthenimrod: The tutorial is a great place to start and is rather thorough.
markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#40  Edited By markini6
@Akeldama said:
" @simian said:
" @markini6 said:
I second that. "
That game is so far from straight forward...Im over 80 hours in and Im still learning... "
But be honest - would you really have it any other way?
Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By Aarny91

EVE. I've only played it once and that was months ago but the memory of all the stuff D:

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Akeldama
@markini6 said:
" @Akeldama said:
" @simian said:
" @markini6 said:
I second that. "
That game is so far from straight forward...Im over 80 hours in and Im still learning... "
But be honest - would you really have it any other way? "
Hell no.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ca419426ae1d
deactivated-5ca419426ae1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dragon age

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MancombSeepgood

I found Monster Hunter daunting at first... I got a long-time player of the series to help me out though and it's not so much anymore.

I'd have to second many peoples opinions here, Demon's Souls is very intimidating.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Demon's Souls. And Fallout 3. Mostly because I feel as though I need to platinum all my games, and these don't seem like easy, or even doable, platies for me.

Also, all MMOs.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By nicolenomicon
@Ferginator4k said:
" The Total war games. "
They're easy, you just auto resolve battles where you have greater numbers and just concern yourself with the overall strategy.
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By luce

Any MMO or StarCraft.

Also, Tabletop games like D&D. I can barely keep track of shit in Monopoly

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RE_Player1
@Xtrememuffinman said:
" Demon's Souls. And Fallout 3. Mostly because I feel as though I need to platinum all my games, and these don't seem like easy, or even doable, platies for me.  Also, all MMOs. "
I got a platinum in Fallout 3, its not hard when you turn the difficulty down to very easy :) lol
Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Castro

The only game that I have played that seems daunting is World of Warcraft. Once you hit level 80, the only thing (really) left to do is play with other people to get better loot for some reason. I kinda hate people on the internet, so that's a no go. That's why I stopped playing. The only other terrifying game I can think of is "Ghosts 'n Goblins." I don't really count that though because that game is impossible. If anyone tells you that they beat it, just know that they are lying.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Xtrememuffinman
@RE_Player92 said:
" @Xtrememuffinman said:
" Demon's Souls. And Fallout 3. Mostly because I feel as though I need to platinum all my games, and these don't seem like easy, or even doable, platies for me.  Also, all MMOs. "
I got a platinum in Fallout 3, its not hard when you turn the difficulty down to very easy :) lol "
Awesome, I'm going to go out and get it now.