What games would you choose for the Video Game Hall of Fame?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

With the recent creation of the World Video Game Hall of Fame, and having already been chosen the games

• Doom
  • Pac-Man
  • Pong
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Tetris
  • World of Warcraft

to be featured. What other video games would you add to the Hall of Fame? And why do you think they deserve to be there?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - the game that revolutionized the first person shooters, being so influential that the genre was no longer the same after the game launched.

Super Mario 64 - the game that popularized the 3D platformers.

Alone in the Dark - the first 3D survival horror game.

Minecraft - a popular and influential game that set its own genre and is one of the most played games in the world

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Halo- Truly revolutionized FPS's, especially for consoles, introducing health regen and one of the most popular matchmaking systems.

GTA III- Changed the landscape of third-person/sandbox games forever.

Resident Evil 4- Stepped up third-person shooters and set a new standard for survival horror.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

• Thief 2
  • System Shock 2
  • Planescape Torment
donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid?

IceNDice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By IceNDice

Silent Hill, Final Fantasy, Super Mario 64, Grand Theft Auto

dobedobedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Half-Life 2

I just remember everyone I knew going crazy over how great the game was and how unique it was at the time. I had a few friends that sold their consoles and made the jump to PC just because of that game.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Deadly Premonition

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Well, most of what I would have said has already been stated so for just for the sake of trying to come up with something unique: Guitar Hero.

I genuinely don't know if it revolutionized the rhythm or party game genres, but it unquestionably blew both of 'em up. Also reached a level of cultural significance shared only by a handful of other games.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Naoiko

Most of the ones I'd pick have already been listed, but I would put Okami in there for its unique are style.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spelunky

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

• Super Mario 64 - I think everybody knows why this should be in there
  • Rogue - Birthed the genre still called RogueLikes
  • Adventure - Created the Action Adventure genre
  • King's Quest - One of the earliest Adventure Game with Graphics, King's Quest was one of the earliest prominet games with a female Playable Protagonist
  • Super Metroid - Not the first Metroidvania game, but arguably the one the set the standard all of them are still judged by
  • Warcraft II - The expansion First Online Multiplayer RTS I think, certainly perhaps one of the most popular
  • Street Fighter II: World Warrior - Birth of the Fighting Game genre
  • Dragon Quest/Warrior - Birth of the Japanese Role Playing game Genre, pretty much launched RPGs as a genre on Consoles
  • Double Dragon - Arguably the peak of the Brawler/Beat 'em up
  • Asteroids - Perhaps the Birth of the Shoot em Up genre
  • Golden Tee - I have a bad feeling this is actually one of the most popular games in history. For nearly a decade plus, this was in every bar in America it seemed like
  • Zork - perhaps the most popular and influential Text Adventure
  • Minecraft - I'm not sure I know how to describe what Minecraft is in a sentence. It's important, I think we all know that.
  • Legend of Zelda - One of the first games with saves, birthed a new style of action adventure
  • Pole Position - First 16 bit game and arguably the beginning of the Driving game genre
  • Halo/ Halo 2 - The Games that made Shooters the dominant genre on consoles, also helped set the standard for button layout and online multiplayer
  • Grand Theft Auto III - Popularized and perhaps created Open World games
  • Wii Sports -The seminal motion
  • Ultima - More or less created RPGs as we know them today
  • Resident Evil - Not the first Survival Horror genre, but certainly the one that made it popular in the West
  • Sim City - Popularized Sim Strategy/ City creation games
  • The Sims 2 - I think this was the one that really caught fire, Sims more or created whatever genre they are afaik
  • League of Legends & DOTA 2 - Birth of the MOBA genre
  • EverQuest - I don't think you can have WoW without also acknowledging EverQuest
  • Angry Birds - Arguably the first Phone Game to really capture the mainstream's conscience
  • Pokemon - Incredibly popular, was the defining game for an entire generation's childhood, one of the first complete integration of a real world product with a game .
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator - If memory serves this made Flight Sims a thing.
  • Guitar Hero - Popularized the whole plastic instrument music genre
  • Duck Hunt - the first Light Gun game that really blew up

There also should be Sports games, but I'm not sure which versions would be appropriate. Mike Tyson's Punchout for sure.

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NoneSun

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Solid 2, if only as an example of post-modernism in video games. However, you would have to lump Metal Gear Solid 1 together with it, as you need to play 1 to understand 2. An artistic duology, if you will.

Resident Evil 4 was a game-changer in terms of how TPS were to be played. Put that in there.

I'd say Killer7, but I don't think that it's impact was big enough to justify a place. It's one of my favourite games, but at the end of a day, I know that it's mainly just a game with a strong cult following.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By T_wester
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Super Mario 64, definitely. Ocarina of Time, maybe. Akalabeth or Wizardry, maybe as progenitors of the RPG genre and PC gaming? Sure, I'll throw in Call of Duty 4 on there too.

I dunno what qualifies for "Hall of Fame", though, sort of like how I'm not sure what qualifies for "Game of the Generation"

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the list above was selected by The Strong Museum, a New York museum now formally known as the Museum of Play.

It actually has a pretty legit collection of electronic games material, which you can read about here, including 'Will Wright Papers, 1989–2010'.

As a counter point, it is interesting to look at the list that the Library of Congress (really) has put forward as 'game canon':

The above list was compiled by a preservationist for Stanford and Warren Spector among others, and was announced during the 2007 GDC. More info here.

So Doom and Tetris feature on both lists. Both have Warcraft, though one is WoW and the other is 'Warcraft Series' We have Super Mario Bros on one and Super Mario Bros 3 on the other.

These differences do raise some questions about these lists. Why Super Mario Bros 3 over the original Super Mario Bros? Is it down to influence or popularity, or which is the 'better' game? The Library of Congress list has Civilisation I and II in the same entry, and has Warcraft as the whole series. Does the Strong Museum's Hall of Fame list seek to choose a single game from a series to be representative?

And what is the purpose of these lists? If it is preservation/awareness then the Game Canon list is more interesting at the moment. I can tell you all about six games on the Hall of Fame list, whereas the Canon list has things I don't know about. I had no idea that Sensible World of Soccer was held in such high regard!

Anyway sorry to hijack the thread, just thought it was interesting comparing these things. But seriously where is Ocarina of Time?