/thread

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Pinkshley1

I seem to be the only one out of all my friends that cant get into any MMO, nevermind become addicted.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By keyhunter
@Alex_V said:
" I think Elite, released in the early 80s, would technically class as a bigger gameworld than any of the titles mentioned here. "
Word. Azeroth is a few simple continents. The worlds of Elite and Frontier elite and their like are billions of Km's of space, and single planets that are bigger than WOW. All on a thousand lines of code.
demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#55  Edited By demonbear
@PeanutGod said:
" Clearly, it is Daggerfall. Not including worlds that are automatically generated as you go, obviously.

Also obviously, Daggerfall was pretty lacking. What are some other rediculously large gameworlds? Online or off.
"
Funny, by reading the title, before i clicked on it i thought, i think the biggest i've seen is Daggerfall's. That thing was effin' huge.
metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56  Edited By metal_mills

Eve Online. It would take HOURS to go from one end of the galaxy to another with no stops at warp speed.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By The_Ish

Creation of the Exultant Universe.

erik_wolff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By erik_wolff
@demonbear said:
" @PeanutGod said:
" Clearly, it is Daggerfall. Not including worlds that are automatically generated as you go, obviously.

Also obviously, Daggerfall was pretty lacking. What are some other rediculously large gameworlds? Online or off.
"
Funny, by reading the title, before i clicked on it i thought, i think the biggest i've seen is Daggerfall's. That thing was effin' huge. "
I too thought of Daggerfall before clicking into the thread. I actually just last night (techincally this morning) had quite a conversation about all the Elder Scrolls games and how they keep getting smaller and smaller.
demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By demonbear

Well they ARE getting smaller, but they also are getting more detailled and complex. For me Oblivion was great except for 2 things : 1 - it was bland, unlike morrowind who had its own vibe and not this generic medieval thing going on, and 2 - The gate poping everywhere and you closing all of them had no effect on the world whatsoever.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By jkz
@Lucidforest said:
" It's not fuel. That was just the biggest console game. Implement the PC and Fuel gets blown out the water.Personally I'd say Azeroth, or maybe even Star Wars Galaxies. There were numerous planets in that game. Planets. "
Funny, I think Galaxies might actually be up there. The world was totally bleak and desolate except for player-towns, but it was in fact bloody-enormous. There are 12 planets AND their respective space-zones....I'd say that's getting up there in size.
Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By Gmanall

This is a subjective topic considering that you may consider spore space stage and say a billion light years and that would beat anything in wow but it may help to clarify it as a third person gameworld that has been scaled and measured to earth and that would be fuel.   

Lustreplush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Lustreplush

Tetris FTW.  Those bricks are HUGE.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By Brendan

Techinically Daggerfall, but that wasn't one seamless world, it had randomly generated dungeons that always changed, so it's a lame award.  I Think the largest seamless world would be a better question.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64  Edited By Gmanall
@Lustreplush said:
" Tetris FTW.  Those bricks are HUGE. "
That was a large game world *Agreed*
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By natetodamax

Call Of Duty 4 clearly

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By damnboyadvance

My world is the biggest game world. My imagination is bigger than any other game world.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#67  Edited By vager

Dwarf Fortress generates some pretty massive worlds. I calculated the amount of tiles the worlds has (its old school where you have to move per tile). It has a total of 1,014,512,640 tiles.

Edit: My mistake I forgot to about the calculating the surface area of one of those tiles in game. It's actually many times larger then that number.

Edit: Got it. Its a total of 2,834,074,613,760 tiles.

I had no idea it was that freaken large.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ArchScabby

Fuel.  According to guiness? huh? is it? 

MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69  Edited By MatthewMeadows

FUEL

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Zabant

Any space game.

freelancer is the first that jumps to my mind.

never played EVE but that also.

EvangelBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By EvangelBlue

Noby Noby Boy anyone? That game reached out to the moon, Mars and is on its way to Jupiter right now. All the distances were scaled to real life...

Kaido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Kaido

Delta Force: Task Force Dagger

YOU COULD GO ON FOR AGGGGGGGGGGGGES

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

SPORE! You can't beat a whole galaxy, except maybe with 2.

Lucidforest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Lucidforest

People keep saying FUEL. It's not FUEL. That was the largest console game. PC with it's MMO's, Spores and Daggerfalls make FUEL not the winner.

The real answer is - no one knows. Although I still say Azeroth or SWG myself. (final word?)

10basetom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By 10basetom

FUEL, at 5560 square miles, has the "largest playable environment in a console game" as officially recognized by the Guinness World Records:

http://gamers.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/220509_fuel.aspx

The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall, at 63125 square miles, still holds the world record for largest land-mass environment in a game regardless of platform:

http://retrogames.wikia.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_II:_Daggerfall

Another classic game which has a fairly large world that IMHO is even more engrossing than Daggerfall is Ultima 7: The Black Gate. You can read a detailed review of it here:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ultima-vii-the-black-gate/reviews/reviewerId,6226/

A game which also has a huge world to explore is Arcanum. It would take over 30 real-time hours to walk across the map. I didn't believe this until I saw the box cover:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/arcanum-of-steamworks-magick-obscura/cover-art/gameCoverId,20869/

I know it would take A LOT more than 30 hours to walk 63125 miles in Daggerfall, but still, that is pretty impressive for a static world (i.e., not randomly generated).

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#77  Edited By sjschmidt93

Azeroth counts Northrend.

So Azeroth.

Also, San Andreas is fucking huge for it's genre, but not close to the biggest game world.

seventonblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By seventonblade

I've heard it takes at least two weeks ON HORSEBACK to get around from one edge of Daggerfall to the other (62,394 square miles long, that's how large Daggerfall is) .  It took I think 15-30 minutes for me to cross a single pixel while magnified on a region, so if you've got no (ingame) money to fast travel or no way of making money and you're out there in the middle of nowhere, you're screwed.  Unless of course, you cheat(ed) or hack(ed) the game.

These are the two largest ones that I've played besides Daggerfall...

Just Cause 2: the game is fairly new, and it's roughly 400 square miles large, 5x the size of Azeroth which is at 80 square miles
    It's an easy world to get around because of the large array of vehicles, including a turbo jet.  Plus, you can just automatically order some through the black market (that does include the turbo jet).  You can also use something called extraction, where you can call in to be transported automatically to any location previously discovered on the map.

FUEL: has a gigantic world at 5560 square miles long, 13.9x the size of Panau Islands and 69.5x the size of Azeroth 
    You have a pretty large selection of vehicles (that you have to unlock of course) that you can easily switch between.  But there all either motorcycles, ATVs, cars, or trucks, nothing airborne.  You are like before, able to transport automatically between the several "base camps" scattered across the world that you've previously unlocked (literally unlocked, so it probably takes a bit more than just discovery). 

other than that (on the diagrams below), I've only played TES4: Oblivion and Far Cry 2, all four were good games, including FUEL too because it's still fun freeroaming the game.

This is where I got my info from, and I think these images were posted earlier:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

The real world! 

TomboDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By TomboDemon

Beautiful Katamari.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Zajtalan
@Champy said:
" guitar hero 2 "
Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#82  Edited By Jayzilla
@10basetom said:
" FUEL, at 5560 square miles, has the "largest playable environment in a console game" as officially recognized by the Guinness World Records:

http://gamers.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/220509_fuel.aspx

The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall, at 63125 square miles, still holds the world record for largest land-mass environment in a game regardless of platform:

http://retrogames.wikia.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_II:_Daggerfall

Another classic game which has a fairly large world that IMHO is even more engrossing than Daggerfall is Ultima 7: The Black Gate. You can read a detailed review of it here:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ultima-vii-the-black-gate/reviews/reviewerId,6226/

A game which also has a huge world to explore is Arcanum. It would take over 30 real-time hours to walk across the map. I didn't believe this until I saw the box cover:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/arcanum-of-steamworks-magick-obscura/cover-art/gameCoverId,20869/

I know it would take A LOT more than 30 hours to walk 63125 miles in Daggerfall, but still, that is pretty impressive for a static world (i.e., not randomly generated). "
this, and for all the fanboys out there, WoW is smaller than Guild Wars when you look at all of the campaigns put together.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#83  Edited By AgentJ

Tetris. Those blocks have to come from somewhere.  

But yeah, I hear Daggerfall everywhere. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#84  Edited By mikemcn
@AgentJ said:
" Tetris. Those blocks have to come from somewhere.   But yeah, I hear Daggerfall everywhere.  "
I agree with tetris

But also, Eve online is pretty big when you consider all the little systems and pockets it has, as far as playable space goes its enormous. I suppose its kinda cheating though.
Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Earthborn
@Zenaxzd said:
" Sushbag said:
"You didn't play for 10000 hours you faggot, and even if you played anywhere near that, why does that qualify you to judge the biggest game world ever. You don't have to play any game that long to figure it out. "
  1. Yes I did play it that long, my rogue alone had almost 300 days by himself. No idea if you even played the game but you could find out how long each individual character had by typing "/played" into the chat window. He was my main but I also had 60 days on a shaman I started 1 week after burning crusade was launched along with a 68 druid, 62 paladin, 62 mage among other classes I leveled. If I actually owned my PC anymore and it was working (gave it to my parents/power supply died and they don't care enough to buy a new one - I use a laptop personally) I could actually give you screenshots of my /played times. You have no damn idea what you are talking about as I would not lie about something like that I played the hell out of.
  2. Wait, what? When did I say that qualified me to judge it as the biggest game world ever? Biggerbomb said I obviously never played WoW, I was responding to him by saying yes I did play, and here is how long.
  3. And how the hell does playing a game long not go hand in hand with realizing how big the world is? Some random level 20 in Red Ridge Mountains couldn't tell you about silithus or hellfire peninsula or something. How long you have played the game gives you great insight on how big the world is. 
"
Total ownage.
Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Earthborn

Anyway. Freelancer? That's all I'm saying.

fearv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By fearv

Clearly smaller game worlds packed with content are the way to go. These maps basically demonstrate that the smaller the game world the better the game.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ryanwho

Better question is what's the largest interesting gameworld that isn't just randomly generated barren bullshit.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By zonerover
@ryanwho said:

" Better question is what's the largest interesting gameworld that isn't just randomly generated barren bullshit. "

Yeah. Its not about size, its all about the pixel... I mean building density, and flora density as well.