• 62 results
Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jordan23

Indeed. I intend to go to college and major in Journalism.

michaelP4o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By michaelP4o

I'd like to be, but I'd prefer to be something else though, and good luck, maybe we'll be seeing you in the next few years on GameSpot? Or even GiantBomb? :P

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By xruntime

Well, it's not a bad job, I just think I'd like to be a novel writer or columnist (about real-world events) instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not all that great really. I have written a few articles on some sites that have went up as the hottest topic on N4G, and I have no expertize in writing whatsoever.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

I hate playing shitty games, so I'd rather not. I imagine the only thing worse than being forced to play mediocre games is being forced to write about your experiences with said mediocre games in relatable ways.

I think some people feel being a game/movie critic would be like doing what they're doing now and getting paid for it...... doesn't work like that I imagine.

Video games are an awesome hobby, I prefer playing them when I want to play them and playing the ones of my choosing.

When you're forced to do something, even something that was once a beloved hobby, it loses much of its luster (in my experience.) Playing good games provides a release after an entire day of scheduled, tedious work... I'd rather not have the games become the work.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By serbsta

Wouldnt mind it one bit.

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By tokyochicken

I'd love to be one but a reviewer isn't appealing to me, if I could I'd love to just stick to the news in the gaming industry.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Emilio

Only if I get to write about old games. I can just see myself... Emilio, Gen-u-wine Ny-eh-rd game reviewer. snort snort snort.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mourne

No, thank you.

I'll remain a general writer instead.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By twenty0ne

It would be a fun job for me, but journalists don't make much money at all.

Anastacio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Anastacio

Already having been a gaming journalist and editor for various gaming related websites; all danish sites, I'll tell you it's a mixed bag. You get to go to various events, you get the news earlier, and then you get the awesome games for free, and then the bad ones which could be forced upon you, and then it get's boring to write about, it's actually pretty hard but part of the job. I had to write about Spyro the Eternal Night for the PlayStation 2, and having never been a fan of the purple hero, it was a heavy dragon to have on my shoulders but I don't complain, cause good times like getting to play the four first chapters of Uncharted two months before the game hit shelves was an exciting experience.
On top on that, most gaming journalists in Denmark, doesn't get paid.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb

Definitely not. I've thought about going into the industry in some form or another, but not journalism. No way.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By kush

I'd love to be in the business, but I know it's not really easy (especially when you aren't in California :P ) ...I just continue to write on my own site and maybe that can get me somewhere at some point, but who knows because I'm not studying journalism.

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By calf_exercises

As much as I'd like to be in a the jurnalism side of things I would greatly preffer to be making the games

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Illmatic

Its one of those things that I'd love to do but don't really push myself to do. It joins animation as one of my dream jobs.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By brukaoru

Yes I would, eventually. I know if I did go into game journalism, I would have to be prepared to get a lot of criticism from a lot of people... But I think I would really enjoy that being my career.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By duxup

I'd like to be a game journalist, and independently wealthy.

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jordan23

I plan on writing some game reviews in the future and you all can let me know how my punctuation is coming along. I do have a few blogs that you all can check out.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By atejas

I'm more of a coder kind of guy.
Hence I slog Java and bring you games to give glowing reviews to.

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

No, I like independent game development more.

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jordan23
LuckyWanderDude said:
"No, I like independent game development more."
So, its safe to say, that you're a big fan of Braid creator, Johnathan Blow.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

It's actually my fall back.

I've always enjoyed writing, especially about video games, but I will be majoring in Computer Science, hopefully to become a Software Engineer/

turambar35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By turambar35

I think it would be an awesome job, but writing's not something I enjoy and I'm not that great at it. If I were to get into a gaming related career, it would probably be in the development side of things.

PartTimeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PartTimeNinja

I would love to be a game journalist.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By atejas
TheGTAvaccine said:
"It's actually my fall back.

I've always enjoyed writing, especially about video games, but I will be majoring in Computer Science, hopefully to become a Software Engineer/"

Holy crap.
You just described the story of my life(potentially)
Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Manks

No, but I have great respect for most of the people that are in game journalism.  I wouldn't do it for a career though, I'm more interested into the medical field.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28  Edited By wefwefasdf

I'm not sure I would like to be a journalist but I would definitely like to be rich and go to all the conventions. :D

OlDrtyBstrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OlDrtyBstrd

Probably not...I used to think that it would be fun, but I really  couldn't play games that often, because I would start to feel depressed...you know, the whole "WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE!" thing.

Ubergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ubergeist

It might be pretty fun but there's already a ton of great journalist right now. It would be tough to get on their level.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Demyx

I can't write worth crap.
I'd like to leave video games as a hobby.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By xruntime
OlDrtyBstrd said:
"Probably not...I used to think that it would be fun, but I really  couldn't play games that often, because I would start to feel depressed...you know, the whole "WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE!" thing."

I agree - at the end of the day, video games are just entertainment. I'd like to do something...with more of a practical impact....you know, there's kids starving in Africa, AIDS across India, censorship in China. That's pretty much my life goal - to do something beneficial for society.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Systech

I am seeing plenty of answers like "hell yeah!" and "of course" but when I say "yes," I truly mean it. The extent of my writing skills doesn't go as far as it needs to be right now, but I am only a sophomore in high school so I have some time to immerse into the vocabulary world.

My interest in game journalism is the same as mine in hard-hitting news punditry and I am willing to broaden my horizons for jobs in the writing field. If I get the opportunity to work for a nice, big game company, I will also take it. I am learning to mod Oblivion for the PC now and at the same time, taking Journalism and Advanced English classes so that my career paths will expand more than a place like 1UP, IGN, or Gamespot even.

LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
Jordan23 said:
"LuckyWanderDude said:
"No, I like independent game development more."
So, its safe to say, that you're a big fan of Braid creator, Johnathan Blow."
Yeah I am.
Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jordan23

I do think that the independent developers are overlook, whereas, the mega developers get too much of the gaming glory. If these Indie developers can keep developing titles like Braid, then it will open many more doors for the "unknown."

Who are some of your favorite game journalist in the industry?

solidphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By solidphoenix
Jordan23 said:
"Indeed. I intend to go to college and major in Journalism."
I'd actually recommend majoring in english, because game journalism is not the same thing as traditional journalism. You could minor in it, as it will definitely help you somewhat with dealing with contacts in the industry and such, but the most important part of being a game journalist is the writing aspect, along with the knowledge, and Majoring in english can help you do that. Studying journalism would be more useful in learning HOW to cover the industry, but not as helpful in the writing aspect. Of course, it depends more on where you're going to be taking classes and such.

Personally I'd like to take a career in gaming journalism, but being in Australia I don't see if I could get a job at a decent, well established site. I'm not too interested in print, unfortunately as there are a lot of print magazines around here.
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
Jordan23 said:
"I do think that the independent developers are overlook, whereas, the mega developers get too much of the gaming glory. If these Indie developers can keep developing titles like Braid, then it will open many more doors for the "unknown."

Who are some of your favorite game journalist in the industry?"
I like indie game journalists as well so Derek Yu and Anna Anthropy. I feel the need to mention that Blow and his game Braid are still more mainstream than the freeware indie game scene but Braid is based on a more mainstream adaptation of indie concepts which means that indie and mainstream are going to collide at some point.
xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By xplodedd

no, this dude sums it up well enough for me to copy his message.

xruntime
said:

"OlDrtyBstrd said:
"Probably not...I used to think that it would be fun, but I really  couldn't play games that often, because I would start to feel depressed...you know, the whole "WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE!" thing."

I agree - at the end of the day, video games are just entertainment. I'd like to do something...with more of a practical impact....you know, there's kids starving in Africa, AIDS across India, censorship in China. That's pretty much my life goal - to do something beneficial for society. "

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jordan23
solidphoenix said:
"Jordan23 said:
"Indeed. I intend to go to college and major in Journalism."
I'd actually recommend majoring in english, because game journalism is not the same thing as traditional journalism. You could minor in it, as it will definitely help you somewhat with dealing with contacts in the industry and such, but the most important part of being a game journalist is the writing aspect, along with the knowledge, and Majoring in english can help you do that. Studying journalism would be more useful in learning HOW to cover the industry, but not as helpful in the writing aspect. Of course, it depends more on where you're going to be taking classes and such."
Good point, Phoenix.
ikon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ikon

I've actually thought about it a lot the last couple of years. By the look of things I'll be going back to college to get a degree in journalism sometime not too far into the future. I don't know if I'll end up writing about games though... probably not.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By crunchUK

i'd love to but being a game DEVELOPER sounds better :P

Supertramp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Supertramp

Actually, yeah, I would believe I would enjoy it as well.
Um, it's an art form to me, and it's a lovely form of entertainment as well of course.
I would want to do it all though man, reviews, breaking news, covering conventions, previews, interviewing, the whole nine.
I think I'd enjoy it. Um, I think I'd be passionate about it, but after a lot of righteous years as a videogame journalist, I'd bounce & get into freelance writing.
I truly & seriously want to someday be a writer, and sure, maybe get into the industry, experience it, then leave.
I hope to change some lives with my writing someday, that's a long term goal of mine.

jlaudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jlaudio7

I'd like to do something in the computer business, but I also like the idea of working in the game industry as a journalist.

normajean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By normajean777

nah i want to program the games thats why im taking programming in college i want to help make all these games that we play.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SpecTackle

Currently in school for such things.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By Bennyishere

That would be awesome. Writing and gaming are things I enjoy doing.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47  Edited By Termite

I'd rather be a Biologist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like I said, gaming journalism is not all that great as its cut out to be, I would rather you start off as a tester, maybe do some journalism after that, and then start moving up into the real business.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SpecTackle
Sentry said:
"Like I said, gaming journalism is not all that great as its cut out to be, I would rather you start off as a tester, maybe do some journalism after that, and then start moving up into the real business."
Yes mother.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He asked peoples opinions, and I posted mine, genius... >_>