You can't afford the newest games... What do you do?

• 96 results
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I just try to play the games that I never got around to last generation. PS2 games specifically, are cheap and easy to find. 

Celegus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Celegus

I can't really remember the last time I bought a game - used or new. Stupid money. I just play re-play old games I liked the first time around.

ezekielzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By ezekielzero

i get half the new games my friend gets the other half, then we just swap

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#54  Edited By Soap

Play one of the 20 or so still factory wrapped games that I've bought and never opened over the last 3 or so years :D

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By Jambones

I'll go buy books while I wait for a price drop or bargin. Keeps me busy and $5 is a good exchange for a few hours of entertainment.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Sell your kids.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By harrisonave

I always find a way, for better or worse.  Like, when MGS4 came out, and EVERYONE was talking about how great it was.  I didn't have a PS3 at the time.  Then I listened to The Giant Snakecast, and that's when I  knew I had to get a PS3.  So I looked over at my dusty old Wii that no one was playing and decided I was selling it.  Luckily, I did it at a time when the Wii was still in demand.  Between all the accessories and games I had,  I earned more than enough get get a PS3 and MGS4.

That's usually how it goes.  If I want it bad enough, I'll find a way to get it.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58  Edited By wealllikepie

torrents ;)

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#59  Edited By mordecaix7

I like to try and keep up with how many games I purchase versus how many I actually complete.  For awhile there I was getting game after game and never finishing any.  So now I complete (or at least beat the single player campaign) before buying a new game.  1-1 kind of thing.  Some games are kinda long so new games will get cheaper or it gives me time to save up my money to buy the new game that is coming out.

I've allocated $25 a paycheck to spend on entertainment so I'll also distract myself from new games with new music as well.

Plus I don't get overwhelmed having too many games to play.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#60  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Since I can't rent games where I live (let's just say it's the boonies and leave it at that), I usually have to wait for it to either come down in price, go on sale, or wait until I can afford it.  In my current case, I want Forza 3, Tekken 6, and Dragon Age, but none of those are going to happen at least until I find a decent job and can support myself beyond means other than my retirement check.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By Willy105

This has been my entire gaming life.

I just buy old games. Simple as that.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By clush

I usually end up buying them anyway :(

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#63  Edited By citizenkane

If you have the consoles, try GameFly.

skidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64  Edited By skidd

I pretty much only buy 1 or 2 new releases every year, I mostly get the rest new at discount price online, or buy them pre-owned if theyre cheap enough

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Meltac

I wait, and then get them when they're cheap. Don't really feel like I'm missing something, because there haven't really been any games lately that I really want except for Batman: AA. Sometimes though I buy new games at full price, for example Brütal Legend or GTA IV ^^

JonnyAvacado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By JonnyAvacado

As of this week Claude, I probably will not be able to buy new games for a while...it sucks, but it must be done.  So I have to agree with Resident4t, I'm going to play the hell out of the ones I have, which should keep me very busy.  Dude, anytime you are up for some Tiger Woods, let me know, and we'll do an XBL chat at the same time.  I'll drink some beers with you as well dude!

Keep the dream alive brother....

mnB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By mnB

I just prioritize. Buy the games I have to own, right when they launch (which really aren't that many, since ive become a bit more skeptic over the years) - and then pick up the others im interested in when the price drops a couple of months later.

I used to buy all the games I wanted when I was younger... Ended up with a huge bunch, and rarely completed any of em'. When I buy a game now do I always bump up the difficulty right from the start, plays it to the end and just relax with it. Makes me feel I'm getting a lot more for my money, and gets to see all the game has to offer.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MikkaQ

Y'all should find some rich friends and go to their house everyday. That's why my friends do.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By spacetrucking

Gamefly and Steam deals are your 2 best options. I also maintain a wishlist and search for good deals often. Like I got STALKER this weekend after it spent like nearly 2 years on my wishlist. :p

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Afroman269

Well you only need one kidney sooo........

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Oriental_Jams

I trade in my back catalogue. Today I handed in eleven games, bought between 2005 and 2008. I got £30. Somebody hold me...

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#72  Edited By spankingaddict

GAMEFLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 11 bucks a month......

Vegeta187x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Vegeta187x

I sell older games that I've beaten or lost interest in and get the next game half off.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By crunchUK

cry

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MeierTheRed

Cut down on all the shit, and go for the gold. But somehow i find my self buying garbage despite that.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#76  Edited By FireBurger

I've just started renting games again. I haven't done it since I was a kid, but I'm tired of dropping $60 on a game I'll play for a couple of weeks, if that. I was pretty opposed to renting for a while, but realized that if I never actually owned the disc, I wouldn't miss it once it was gone.

Just the other week I rented Operation Flashpoint, Batman, and Uncharted (all of which I enjoyed) for $30. Usually, I would have only bought one (for $60) and probably never played the others. Aside from multiplayer games and long RPGs, I'm definitely renting from now on.  I've got other stuff to spend money on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blowjobs

mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By mrariscottle

Borrow games from friends? I do that quite a bit. Obviously I let them finish the game and stuff first. :)

misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By misterpope

Convince my easily manipulated rich friend to buy it then play it at his house.

4thHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By 4thHorseman

I will usually try to look at reviews and see if it's worth getting. if I can talk myself out of getting a game, wonderful. See if there's a day in the near future that you could ask for a game as a gift such as a birthday or christmas, and do that. Otherwise there is always Gamefly to rent them or GameStop if I sell older games to get a new one.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#81  Edited By Claude
@4thHorseman said:

" I will usually try to look at reviews and see if it's worth getting. if I can talk myself out of getting a game, wonderful. See if there's a day in the near future that you could ask for a game as a gift such as a birthday or christmas, and do that. Otherwise there is always Gamefly to rent them or GameStop if I sell older games to get a new one. "

I do the Holiday thing big time. I trade in games a lot too. I can't justify the monthly rent thing with my Wife, so that's out. I should be able to pick up four new games this holiday season and my birthday comes in January. My fingers are crossed for a good Holiday and Birthday season. Assassin's Creed II is mine on day one... bank on it.
izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By izzygraze

I become picky about the games I buy. Often times I buy indie games off of Steam because they look neat and are about 20$ or less, ex: Trine. When there is a game I want to buy I make sure to pre-order it on steam because of the discount. ALSO if you wait a while then Steam will have sales where you can buy games for 25-50% off sometimes.

Second hand dealers are good too but it's often difficult to find the game you're looking for.

I look up walkthroughs of games like other people. Vash12349 does some funny stuff. I do the same for games that are really old, are really hard to find, but have great stories. I'm working on all the Metal gear games right now. But yeah, watching all the videos I can find helps when you can't afford the game.

Or I wait for my birthday or Christmas and ask a family member to buy it for me.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Wolverine
@Claude said:
" I would love to play the newest games. I've missed out on so much. What do you do when you can't play a game you wish you could? Maybe you don't even own that console that the game came out on... oh my.  I don't get pissed. I do lament of what could be. I miss the games I can't afford and hope to play them soon. What do you do? Do you even care that you missed out? Do you hope to play them soon or next year?  In my dreams, I play them all, but that wasn't meant to be. "
Get a job that pays more. I know that isn't that helpful but what do you expect us to say in this thread. You said you can't get used games because there to expensive as well and you can get a GameFly subscription. The only solution is for you to make more money.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Claude
@Wolverine said:
" @Claude said:
" I would love to play the newest games. I've missed out on so much. What do you do when you can't play a game you wish you could? Maybe you don't even own that console that the game came out on... oh my.  I don't get pissed. I do lament of what could be. I miss the games I can't afford and hope to play them soon. What do you do? Do you even care that you missed out? Do you hope to play them soon or next year?  In my dreams, I play them all, but that wasn't meant to be. "
Get a job that pays more. I know that isn't that helpful but what do you expect us to say in this thread. You said you can't get used games because there to expensive as well and you can get a GameFly subscription. The only solution is for you to make more money. "
I'm 44 years old and unemployed, my wife's heatlh is not well.  27 years of Lupus has taken it's toll on her.  She has been on steroids for all of the those 27 years, that' pretty fucking hardcoare. After 17 years of marriage, I've become a caregiver now, money is tight. I'm looking for a part time job, but my wife's health continues to dictate my life to no end as her health declines. She needs me more and more. There's no pattern to her illness, and to find a job that works in my world according to her health chaos is hard. It keeps me on my toes though and I always feel alive...
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a huge distaste for a very huge number of this board and well humanity in general due to my brutal sense of misanthropy which makes me hate people period, but I have much respect and admiration for you Claude. Not only do i find your posts to exude a quiet dignity with a smidgen of classy self deprecation (Unlike my own crude and offensive one) but reading about the hardships you seemingly happily overcome to take care of your wife who you care deeply for gives me a glimmer of hope that there is a possibility for my shriveled and bitter heart to care for a significant other in even half the way you do.

This is getting way too sentimental, so I was contemplating ending it with a very offensive Silent Hill 2 joke, but I just wanted to put my observations and feelings about you out there.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Wolverine
@Claude said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @Claude said:
Get a job that pays more. I know that isn't that helpful but what do you expect us to say in this thread. You said you can't get used games because there to expensive as well and you can get a GameFly subscription. The only solution is for you to make more money. "
I'm 44 years old and unemployed, my wife's heatlh is not well.  27 years of Lupus has taken it's toll on her.  She has been on steroids for all of the those 27 years, that' pretty fucking hardcoare. After 17 years of marriage, I've become a caregiver now, money is tight. I'm looking for a part time job, but my wife's health continues to dictate my life to no end as her health declines. She needs me more and more. There's no pattern to her illness, and to find a job that works in my world according to her health chaos is hard. It keeps me on my toes though and I always feel alive... " 

That is though, man. It must be hard to find time to play games let alone play a job. I'll say a prayer for your wife.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Claude
@TeflonBilly said:

" I have a huge distaste for a very huge number of this board and well humanity in general due to my brutal sense of misanthropy which makes me hate people period, but I have much respect and admiration for you Claude. Not only do i find your posts to exude a quiet dignity with a smidgen of classy self deprecation (Unlike my own crude and offensive one) but reading about the hardships you seemingly happily overcome to take care of your wife who you care deeply for gives me a glimmer of hope that there is a possibility for my shriveled and bitter heart to care for a significant other in even half the way you do.  This is getting way too sentimental, so I was contemplating ending it with a very offensive Silent Hill 2 joke, but I just wanted to put my observations and feelings about you out there. "

@Wolverine said:

" @Claude said:

" @Wolverine said:
" @Claude said:
I'm 44 years old and unemployed, my wife's heatlh is not well.  27 years of Lupus has taken it's toll on her.  She has been on steroids for all of the those 27 years, that' pretty fucking hardcoare. After 17 years of marriage, I've become a caregiver now, money is tight. I'm looking for a part time job, but my wife's health continues to dictate my life to no end as her health declines. She needs me more and more. There's no pattern to her illness, and to find a job that works in my world according to her health chaos is hard. It keeps me on my toes though and I always feel alive... " 
That is though, man. It must be hard to find time to play games let alone play a job. I'll say a prayer for your wife. "
Actually, I play a lot of games. They are usually older games. But there again, I'm a proud gamer. I have found much beautiful escapism in my video gaming life. I have a lot of time on my hands, even within the circumstances of my life. But not much money, so the older games I've never played play a large part in my life... my hobby, just for me. Some play golf in real life, I play golf in a virtual world, it's cheaper and I'm good at it. Those few games that are first day buys, my wife understands, my hobby, cheaper than most.

@TeflonBilly said:
" Blowjobs "

Those work too. Hollywood Boulevard look out.
Avatar image for everybody_poops
Everybody_Poops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Everybody_Poops
@W0lfbl1tzers said:
" It has only been in the past few months that I feel like I have missed out on some truly spectacular games. My stepdad has all of the consoles and I occasionally dabble in some new releases when I visit. But it is getting harder and harder not to sell my body to the night to get some current generation action. "
Does this mean what I think it means?

Im in this position right now. Buy a PSN/XBLA/Steam Game on the cheap. May I reccomend: Warhawk/Castle Crashers/Team Fortress 2
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By fuzzyponken

I can never afford the newest games. I haven't paid full price for a game for years. My gaming purchases consists of: 
Ordering the odd PS2 classic online for 10-20 bucks once a month or so (I bought my PS2 in 2007 and never owned a console before that so they're all new to me). 
Ordering a bunch of old PC classics for like $5 each like once a year (games I pirated back in the day but want to own now).  
Buying various indie- and casual games on Steam and taking advantage of their crazy deals for big budget titles that are a few years old. I've recently gotten Saints Row 2 for 7.50€, S.T.A.L.K.E.R for 5€ and The Witcher for 14.99€, so I'm good for months to come.  
I also buy the occasional game off WiiWare and Virtual Console. I haven't bought a single boxed game for my Wii, I just borrow them from my sister (who buys like 5 games a month).  

Don't own a 360 or a PS3, I'll get them once they're about 250 dollars cheaper. I don't feel like I need to play the latest and greatest, staying a generation behind ensures I don't bankrupt myself. 

Avatar image for everybody_poops
Everybody_Poops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Everybody_Poops
@Crono said:
" Well that is why they invented multiplayer, really.  It extends the life of a particular game.  If a game takes a lot of skill, I am more than happy to devote my time to it in lieu of a new game.  But if the multiplayer devolves into nothing more than a race for the rocket launcher (in FPS of course) then I usually don't stick around because I'm not a fan of single-shot splash damage weapons that take barely any skill to aim.  I don't mind a sniper rifle though as long as it doesn't award a kill for a 1-shot bodyshot when a player has full health.  Other than that, when I can't afford a game that I want I just keep an eye out for a sale on it online.  Bing is one awesome way to find a great deal on games and you can even earn credit back from purchases with some outlets.  This can add up over time if you make many purchases.  Also, you can always go do some manual labor for the older people in your neck of the woods.  An easy way to make some cash on the side, there's always work to be done... it just doesn't come to you, you have to go out after it. "
It's so obvios from your post and avatar that you just mean "I play TF2. All the damn time. Best. Game. Ever." and frankly, I don't disagree with you.
W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
@Everybody_Poops said:
" @W0lfbl1tzers said:
" It has only been in the past few months that I feel like I have missed out on some truly spectacular games. My stepdad has all of the consoles and I occasionally dabble in some new releases when I visit. But it is getting harder and harder not to sell my body to the night to get some current generation action. "
Does this mean what I think it means?

Im in this position right now. Buy a PSN/XBLA/Steam Game on the cheap. May I reccomend: Warhawk/Castle Crashers/Team Fortress 2
Yes it does.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#92  Edited By Cube

I buy a book

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Claude
@Cube said:
" I buy a book "
Blasphemy, unless it's a book about video games. 
Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#94  Edited By Crono
@Everybody_Poops said:
" @Crono said:
" Well that is why they invented multiplayer, really.  It extends the life of a particular game.  If a game takes a lot of skill, I am more than happy to devote my time to it in lieu of a new game.  But if the multiplayer devolves into nothing more than a race for the rocket launcher (in FPS of course) then I usually don't stick around because I'm not a fan of single-shot splash damage weapons that take barely any skill to aim.  I don't mind a sniper rifle though as long as it doesn't award a kill for a 1-shot bodyshot when a player has full health.  Other than that, when I can't afford a game that I want I just keep an eye out for a sale on it online.  Bing is one awesome way to find a great deal on games and you can even earn credit back from purchases with some outlets.  This can add up over time if you make many purchases.  Also, you can always go do some manual labor for the older people in your neck of the woods.  An easy way to make some cash on the side, there's always work to be done... it just doesn't come to you, you have to go out after it. "
It's so obvios from your post and avatar that you just mean "I play TF2. All the damn time. Best. Game. Ever." and frankly, I don't disagree with you. "
I agree as well, the Halloween Event is pretty cool btw :D 

But to be honest, the part about 1-shot body kills and rushing for rocket launchers has a lot more to do with my experience with console action games.  I am thinking of Gears 2, Halo 3, Red Faction: Guerrilla and Uncharted 2 just off the top of my head.
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#95  Edited By Hamst3r

I add it to my wishlist and play one of the games I already have. If the game I want goes on sale anywhere, I'm on it. $5 for Riddick Dark Athena? Bought. I might not play it for another year, but I have the option to if I feel like it. :)

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By dbz1995
@bounce2 said:
"  Usually I'll look up gameplay on youtube, sometimes it makes me want to buy the game and console more, or I lose interest after that.  PS: Hi all, I am new here. "
YAY HELLO YOU HOW AREZ?

WE FRIENDS YOU OF. BOOOM