#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

**************************************************************************************************  
  TYPO :: OPTION "G"  HAS THE WORD "DID" INSTEAD OF "DIDNT" PLEASE NOTICE THAT 
 **************************************************************************************************     

My answer is mostly F.  did you hear what i said? MOSTLY :) 

You do the same and pick the option that is the most accurate or true. sh00t 

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By mordecaix7

I have to read the lyrics.  I never get really into albums I can't do that with.  My main purpose buying an album physically is so I can sit down with my headphones in, flipping through the booklet reading along with the lyrics so I can understand the message the songs are portraying.  Music is a huge part of my life and I just can't get into albums that don't put the lyrics in the booklet.

In fact, if I buy an album that doesn't have the lyrics in it, I feel like I got ripped off.  What was the point of buying the album versus downloading it?  The reason I pay more for a physical copy than a digital copy (or free copy) is because I want those lyrics.  Due to the type of music I mostly listen to, it's especially important to me to have the lyrics.  Good luck trying to decipher Converge without some help.  I can't, lol.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@mordecaix7 said:
" I have to read the lyrics.  I never get really into albums I can't do that with.  My main purpose buying an album physically is so I can sit down with my headphones in, flipping through the booklet reading along with the lyrics so I can understand the message the songs are portraying.  Music is a huge part of my life and I just can't get into albums that don't put the lyrics in the booklet.

In fact, if I buy an album that doesn't have the lyrics in it, I feel like I got ripped off.  What was the point of buying the album versus downloading it?  The reason I pay more for a physical copy than a digital copy (or free copy) is because I want those lyrics.  Due to the type of music I mostly listen to, it's especially important to me to have the lyrics.  Good luck trying to decipher Converge without some help.  I can't, lol. "
Your avatar says it all, fellow Opeth fan :)
mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordecaix7
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"Your avatar says it all, fellow Opeth fan :) "
Yes!  Opeth FTW :)
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@mordecaix7 said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
Yes!  Opeth FTW :) "
All the fucking way. 

though i do admit i havent read their lyrics as much/often as i should... but i totally adore their music and vocals and heartwarming guitars and i fucking love them.. one of my top 4 all-time favorite bands.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By gingertastic_10

A. I like to know what is being said.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake

I just like to know the lyrics out of interest and clarification otherwise my imagination would take over and fill the blanks with whatever comes to mind, which means I'll hear a very strange song instead.

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Skogen

There's nothing better than putting on some vinyl and checking out the lyrics in the gatefold as you listen.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mordecaix7
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @mordecaix7 said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
Yes!  Opeth FTW :) "
All the fucking way.  though i do admit i havent read their lyrics as much/often as i should... but i totally adore their music and vocals and heartwarming guitars and i fucking love them.. one of my top 4 all-time favorite bands. "
Yeah, the music is superb and he's actually pretty understandable once you get used to how he enunciates.  Funny thing is, their soft stuff is my favorite part about them.  Damnation is the one I listen to constantly.  

I don't always agree with the lyrics but I like to know what they are saying for my own knowledge, enjoyment, and understanding.  They like to write stories with their lyrics more than just make songs, which I really like.  
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Bigandtasty

Yes for pretty much...all of the reasons for "yes" in the poll.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Hamst3r
Everybody plays with food, sometimes
There's no exception to the rule
Listen, baby, it may be factual, may be crude
I ain't lyin', everybody plays with food

I look up lyrics because I know the shit I'm hearing is definitely not what they're saying.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

D. I'm usually pretty good at getting lyrics but sometimes they're just too indecipherable so I have to look them up.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By brukaoru

B. If I like a song and don't understand what's being said, then yes I do look them up.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By flaminghobo

B/D.

Canberra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Canberra

Far too many options. 
and H.
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By KowalskiManDown

H for me. I find myself singing along to pretty much every song that comes on. Most of the time I pick the words up as I go though.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@mordecaix7: Yes it does get understandable, even the growls.. i can sing along with most of them.    
So you prefer the soft tracks ? thats nice, they're also magical, but to me nothing is better than a 10+ minute harsh AND soft, clean AND growlish progressive masterpiece with shifting in the tempo/speed and guitar sound... just to think of the way those Opeth songs make me feel is both heartwarming and disturbing. 

All i can say is, ive only been introduced to metal in late 2004, its been extremely overwhelming to get to know the hundreds of bands and thousands of albums i know, so i guess i never had the right space and circumstances to read Opeth's dark stories through their lyrics as much as i should.. 

@HandsomeDead said:
" D. I'm usually pretty good at getting lyrics but sometimes they're just too indecipherable so I have to look them up. "
thats the thing, it makes me doubt my english comprehending abilities (after all its not my first language), so part of my question is to see whether or not also native english-speakers suffer from occasional indecipherable bits..
mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mordecaix7
@Ahmad_Metallic: If you want, I've got a good list of metal and hardcore contained in my Last.FM library (interspersed with other types of music though) if you want to browse through and try to find some new bands you may like.   It's definitely not everything I know or have but there's some good music in there.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@mordecaix7: thanks but dont worry im loaded with music, i know hundreds of great metal bands of pretty much every metal subgenre you can think of.. its quite charming :)  i stay away from Hardcore or metal-core stuff though, its just bleh.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By natetodamax

Why do you always put a ridiculous amount of options in a poll? Just a yes or no would have been fine. I can't be bothered to read all of them, sorry.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordecaix7
@Ahmad_Metallic: Ah good.  :)  I'm a little less restrictive.  The only music I stay way from is Country, Rap, and any blatantly Satanic stuff.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@mordecaix7:  well it seems im the one less restrictive here, since i listen to every genre you can think of (i have over 35 thousands songs of IT ALL) including country and rap (which only takes 10% of my listening time since the rest is metal) and the only metal i dislike is this new meaningless METALCORE crap. not because its new or stuff like that, but simply because it does suck
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By foggel

B.

When I can't make out what they sing, I have to check it out... especially if it's an awesome song with otherwise awesome lyrics.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RetroIce4

Sometimes. Some rap lyrics are just hard to understand *cough* Twista *cough* Immortal Technique *cough* and MC Chris *cough* I must have a terrible cold or something. The only genre I look up lyrics to are reggae or rap.  Nothing else. Just hard to understand what they are saying.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By angelkanarias

music with profound meanings are worth me reading the lyrics

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Brunchies

B. If I don't understand what the singer is saying or if I want to read the lyrics while the song is playing.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Well, if I can understand what is being said, then no. But sometimes I do when I can relate to the lyrics (and it has to be really deep) or when I have no fucking idea what the singer is saying. (Take Colour & Shape, for example. That song is 3 and a half minutes of Grohl wailing randomly and screaming non-sense at the top of his lungs)

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By breadfan

I usually look up songs that I find meaning in.  I have a lot of Bob Dylan lyrics written down that I find inspirational.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jasta

Kinda takes away from the song if you dont know what its about.

MrAwsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrAwsum

Just to understand meanings in the songs. 

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShadowKing7

F.  If I hear a song that I like or interests me, I'll go read the lyrics about it just because.  Always have, always will.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iam3green

no, i don't read lyrics to songs. i'm the weird one here.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@iam3green said:
" no, i don't read lyrics to songs. i'm the weird one here. "
what music you into ?
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35  Edited By bonbolapti

No I don't read the lyrics, most of the time I don't pay attention to the lyrics. A lot of times if I can find an instrumental version to a song I like, I'd go for that.
BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

I read lyrics very rarely because I don't really care about what they say, and most of the bands I listen to don't really sing, they growl or scream incomprehensibly. That's when lyrics come in handy to read to actually know what the fucker is gurgling about. But 9 times out of 10 it's some bullshit about how he hates everyone or how his daddy touched him, so who cares. I find it interesting that the really good lyrics come from songs that are sung, not screamed.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

D-Hype.
Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Meltac

Clicked A, but I wanted to take F =(

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iam3green
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @iam3green said:
what music you into ? "
metal, alternative type of music.
CaptainMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CaptainMax

For people who like reading lyrics, then i suggest you use songbird. It has a great plugin that displays the lyrics for every song you listen to.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By Griddler

J. I don't often look up lyrics because I never have problems hearing what is being said.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Meltac said:
" Clicked A, but I wanted to take F =( "
i'll see what i can do (lolz) 

@iam3green said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @iam3green said:
what music you into ? "
metal, alternative type of music. "
what type of metal?  i think its kinda strange to be a metal fan without having the need to read the lyrics of atleast your favorite metal albums 

@CaptainMax said:
" For people who like reading lyrics, then i suggest you use songbird. It has a great plugin that displays the lyrics for every song you listen to. "
never heard of it, and ive been looking for such a feature/facility since my lyrics gadget on Windows Sidebar got busted.. thanks mate
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By jakob187

As a wise man once said: 

"We don't put any of our lyrics in our album inserts because reading lyrics is not the same as hearing them.  Reading is a passive experience, and the words have less meaning when they are seen rather than felt.  Hearing the words is an interactive experience, as it's not just about the words but also about the pitch, intonation, and annunciation of the words that lead to an emotional response." 

In other words...no, I don't read the lyrics.  I just listen.  If I don't know what the word is, THEN I will read the lyrics. 

By the way, that wise man was Maynard James Keenan from Tool.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@jakob187 said:

" If I don't know what the word is, THEN I will read the lyrics.  "

yes thats what this is about.. the post-listening (or mid-listening) lyrics reading 

@CaptainMax: woah thanks a bunch man! that Songbird software and site are really really good! i see a great future for this and those guys are working hard ! all i can contribute to is the translation section, im translating the commands and error message to arabic, and some hebrew
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@jakob187:
But at the same time, if I remember correctly, they did give the lyrics and track listings to Toolshed, that Tool fansite, before 10,000 Days was released.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jkz

There are just a few, scattered artists who's lyrics I can't understand, but actually would like to. Aesop Rock fits this mold quite well. The rapid progression through his lyrics can leave me just sitting there and taking in the rhythm/flow without actually trying to decipher the lyrics. Reading through them once or twice, though, lets me appreciate what he does even more.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@jukezypoo said:
" There are just a few, scattered artists who's lyrics I can't understand, but actually would like to. Aesop Rock fits this mold quite well. The rapid progression through his lyrics can leave me just sitting there and taking in the rhythm/flow without actually trying to decipher the lyrics. Reading through them once or twice, though, lets me appreciate what he does even more. "
i'll make sure i check him out
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I read all the lyrics to the bands I enjoy.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Bucketdeth said:
" I read all the lyrics to the bands I enjoy. "
which option did you choose then ? sounds like G to me, G!
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" I read all the lyrics to the bands I enjoy. "
which option did you choose then ? sounds like G to me, G! "
Yeah it would be G, I think you meant to put didn't instead of did?