Michael Caine reveals Batman 3 villain.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Commando

I know there were rumors about this, but this is the closest thing to actual confirmation that I have heard of. 

The Riddler will be the villain in Batman 3. At least this article says that Michael Caine let it slip. They didn't actually say what he said. 
The rumors on other websites is that Johnny Depp will play the Riddler. I think that would be awesome, and even beat Heath Ledger's performance in The Dark Knight.

I'm looking at the Similar Topics thing on the right, and I did a search, and this is the only thing that has a source. I hope it's true. I liked The Riddler, but the Joker is everyone's favorite villain.

I wonder if, since everyone in Gotham hates Batman now, Robin will be in the next Batman. 

StickyButt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By StickyButt

You know  johnny depp has really good potential on this part if thats tue... lets just hope none of the villians try to being jokerish

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Feanor

If they do the Riddler right it should be pretty good.  Even though I love Jim Carrey, his Riddler was awful, and painful to watch.  So as long as they do not cast someone like Jack Black I'll be happy.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Feanor said:
If they do the Riddler right it should be pretty good.  Even though I love Jim Carrey, his Riddler was ... [more]
his riddler fit right in with the batman theme of 3 and 4 *happiness and gum drops*, now with quite a dramatic films and a slasher mystery flick under his belt im sure jim carreycould take riddler to the dark level that the new batman movies warrent.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain

Aww, I was just starting to like batman again and now Johnny Depp? Well, everyone else in the world will love him, but I hate him :\

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By c1337us

I think this movie would be better served by casting the villian with a new actor or at least someone who is relatively new.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust

I'm okay with the Riddler, although I am hoping at some point the current DC movie bigwigs decide to correct the image of Selina Kyle so grossly destroyed in the Halle Berry Catwoman crap-fest by including her in one of the Batman Begins sequels.  I'm not sure I'd go with Depp though to play the role of Edward Nygma.  I think I'd prefer someone less well known but with some decent acting chops.  I don't know who, though.  Maybe Adrian Brody if they want a Riddler in Batman's age range or Ryan Gosling if they want someone younger.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By VWGTI

The Riddler is one of the best villains in Batman's rogues gallery. I really hope the do him proper.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By TheKidNixon

I like the rumors that have been circulating around (though not sure if they're rumors or "wishful thinking") of their being a Riddler movie in the mood of Se7en, much like Dark Knight was in the mood of Heat. The idea of a calm, collected serial killer who can't help but leave compulsive clues about his next crime in a dissociative cry for help I think could be compelling, especially if Batman was having to battle public opinion and the police along the way.

Really though, anything is going to be a let down. I kind of wish that Warner Brothers would just walk away from the franchise for a good long while, but fat chance of that happening.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bigandtasty

I'm pretty sure the director hinted at the Riddler last year, but whatever.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheKidNixon
Bigandtasty said:
I'm pretty sure the director hinted at the Riddler last year, but whatever.
Christopher Nolan mentioned the Riddler as a villain he could see "working"; his comment was part of a general comment about Batman's rogues gallery and how beyond the ones he's already done, they're mostly pretty goofy. He mentioned Penguin and Robin as particular parts of the mythos he had no interest in bringing into his films; when asked what might work, he said "Maybe the Riddler..."

It was the internet that turned that into "RIDDLER CONFIRMED!"
SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By SteamPunkJin
Commando said:
I know there were rumors about this, but this is the closest thing to actual confirmation that I have heard ... [more]
Pretty sure I heard something about  clause in Christian Bale's contract that says if he's in the movie there will be no Robin.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Black_Rose

Didn't he say something similar some time ago? I remember reading an article where he says WB were talking to Johnny Deep and Phillip Hoffman to do The Riddler and The Penguin respectively, Hoffman denied the rumours though.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mordukai
Lydian_Sel said:
Christian Bale's growly voice ruined that franchise for me long ago. Not even the combined efforts of Michael Caine, Morgan ... [more]
Christian Bale's voice is the one that ruined Batman franchise for you but you are ok with what Joel Schumacher did with it?!
Batman Forever and Batman and Robin is what ruined the franchise not Bale's voice. Anyways I don't see a new Batman movie being made any time soon as Nolan said he wants to take a break from it and he only makes it if the script is really good. If they do make another batman movie don't expect it to come out before Summer of 2011 if not later. 

As far as the Riddler goes I can see Depp doing as good as what Ledger did with the joker only if he will do it like he is the new Joker Graphic Novel.
No Caption Provided

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By teh_destroyer

This might be interesting,very interesting.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheKidNixon
Black_Rose said:
Didn't he say something similar some time ago? I remember reading an article where he says WB were talking to ... [more]
I was also going to bring this up: Michael Caine is a crazy old man who apparently will say anything to make people listen to him. He has said all kinds of things about the next Batman movie, almost always sounding like he's the executive producer or some shit. The bottom line is that he might have overheard something at some point, but more than likely, he doesn't know.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TwoOneFive

First off, this is not even a rumor, its just Cain speculating and nothing more. He has no clue about the script and has no idea what this movie is about, nor when it will even begin production. 

And when in fact he does get to read the script, expect there to be a gaurd standing by making sure he, and all of the other actors don't do anything but read the script, sign a an agreement to not leak any info at all about it (except to say its going to be great), and then hand it back to the gaurd and be off on his merry way. 
Thats how they deal with films like this. Its how they dealt with the script for Star Trek for instance. 

Also, I think that Nolan is smart enough to know that casting Johnny Depp would be an enormous mistake. He should cast a relatively "unkown" for the role, about the same level of fame (or less) as Ledger had previous to the Dark Knight. He was merely a second tier celebrity, but once he died he became the biggest star in the universe. 
Casting Johnny Depp would be like recasting Jim Carrey as the Riddler. It wouldn't be as convincing as the Joker or Two Face were, it would simply be, Johnny Depps Joker. catch my drift?
I think he's a great actor and all, but I feel he is way way way to prominent to hold a supporting role like this.

Lydian_Sel said:
Christian Bale's growly voice ruined that franchise for me long ago. Not even the combined efforts of Michael Caine, Morgan ... [more]
thats a real shame, that you are incapable of enjoying great films because of a growly voice of a vigilante who beats thugs to a pulp in the middle of the night. just..wow. Hop off the "batman voice is stupid" bandwagon will ya?

@Mordukai:
Yeah, well Nolan is currently working on and directing a new kick ass psycological thriller. Think Dark Knight's epicness/action meets Momento's total mindfuck. 
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheKidNixon
TwoOneFive said:
First off, this is not even a rumor, its just Cain speculating and nothing more. He has no clue about ... [more]
To be fair...Batman's voice is stupid.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TwoOneFive
TheKidNixon said:
TwoOneFive said: First off, this is not even a rumor, its just Cain speculating and nothing more. He has no ... [more]
stupid?
would it be wise to talk with his pretty boy, super recognizable multi-billionaire voice? 
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nasar7
Lydian_Sel said:
It didn't stop me from watching the movie but I agree with you, every time he spoke as Batman I grimaced at the ridiculousness of it. 
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheKidNixon
TwoOneFive said:
TheKidNixon said: TwoOneFive said: First off, this is not even a rumor, its just Cain speculating and nothing more. He ... [more]
I'm not saying it doesn't make sense. And I like Dark Knight. But Bale's voice borders on completely unintelligible.

I think Kevin Conroy proved you can have two distinct voices from the same actor without one sounding like he's smoked a carton of cigarette a day since 8.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TwoOneFive
Nasar7 said:
Lydian_Sel said: Christian Bale's growly voice ruined that franchise for me long ago. Not even the combined efforts of Michael ... [more]
you grimaced at the ridiculous of a voice, but not at the guy wearing a batman costume beating up a guy dressed like a clown?
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By get2sammyb

Why does everyone hate Johnny Depp? He's the perfect choice for the Riddler.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HandsomeDead

The Riddler is great but Johnny Depp isn't. If it's him, then really, I will have zero interest in the next Batman.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

i put my money on Catwoman making it into the next Batman film. The Riddler would also be a good candidate. who knows, they might have both characters in the movie.

anyway, i would also like to use this oppurtunity to say that i think TDK was a bad movie and is the most overrated movie i have ever seen....ok, done. ( this is strictly my own opinion)

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By Willy105

Yeah, Jim Carrey is more Joker than Riddler.

But Johnny Depp seems a perfect Riddler.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Willy105
TwoOneFive said:
Nasar7 said: Lydian_Sel said: Christian Bale's growly voice ruined that franchise for me long ago. Not even the combined efforts ... [more]
Most people have seen stranger stuff in real life. But Batman's voice is truly strange.
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By skrutop
Commando said:
Johnny Depp will play the Riddler. I think that would be awesome, and even beat Heath Ledger's performance in The Dark Knight.
I don't know that you can "beat" Heath's performance.  But I'm sure Depp would do a great job as the Riddler.
damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By damswedon
Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Matt_

There's just something about Johnny Depp that makes me not like him. Pretty sure it's his face. Not sure why though.

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Serker

bring back Jim Carrey as the Riddler... but serious actor Jim Carrey. Not goofy Jim Carrey.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Osaladin

Called it the minute The Dark Knight was done.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheKidNixon

I'm pretty sure the Depp would A) be the wrong direction to go with the character, and B) won't be. As someone else said, Nolan likes to mainly cast and work with people who aren't superstars quite yet, Morgan Freeman's voice not withstanding. I could see someone vaguely known by us really inhabiting that role and owning it, much in the same way that Heath Ledger owned the Joker. I think part of the way that Ledger disappeared into the role was his work being varied and (relatively) short already; I've seen enough of Johnny Depp that I see a bit of him in all his performances now.

That said, Public Enemies looks neat.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#35  Edited By AgentJ

You know who else would be a good riddler? Robert Downey Jr. Either he or Depp would have to be Ledger, and since the other two batman movies in this generation have had two villians, the other one has to be Catwoman. 

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Commando said:
I know there were rumors about this, but this is the closest thing to actual confirmation that I have heard ... [more]
Nolan has said that he has 0 interest in putting Robin into the series, and for good reason. The idea of the "Nolan Batman" having a wisecracking young sidekick is disturbing. Even if they had a good actor playing opposite Bale, who took the role seriously, I feel it'd just end up looking foolish. Hell, Nolan even hammered in his disproval of Batman having a partner in one of the earliest scenes of the Dark Knight. When all of the copycat Batmen are tied up with Scarecrow, Batman says "I don't need help.".

With that out of the way, I wouldn't have a problem with Johnny Depp playing the Riddler. I think the Heath Ledger comparisons will be inevitable, but I'm a fan of (most of) Depp's work. He seems like one of the best candidates for this kind of role. If this is confirmed, I'll be cautiously optimistic about the film. My overall chief concern is that Nolan will succumb to the "Curse of Three". Second sequels are incredibly hard to pull off, especially after a spectacular second installment (i.e. Superman, Spider-Man, the Godfather, Batman Forever, etc.). I have a strong feeling that Nolan, if left to his own devices, will know what to do with this installment, and after seeing what can happen when more than one villain is added (COUGH SPIDER MAN 3 COUGH!) can bring forth a worthy successor to one of my favorite films of all time.

Lastly, does that voice really bother you guys that much? I mean, Michael Keaton did a similar voice in the original Burton Batman flick, albeit a little less instense. I mean, a guy in a Batman costume has to seem intimidating somehow right? I found Maggie Gylenhall's (spelling?) yapping into the telephone (when she's tied up to the chair with the oil drums) a thousand times more annoying than Bale's Batman voice.
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dr_nefarious

Yeah I can really see johnny Depp playing the riddler.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By TheHBK
Commando said:

Dude, are you serious?  Robin the next batman, thats the most retarded thing I have heard concerning the movies.  Even when it happens in the comics its lame.  The riddler should be like he was in the 90s batman cartoon, wearing a green suit and bowl hat.  A game of wits, where we get more of a detective out of batman, more than just using technology.  It should be a great thriller if they do it right.
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheKidNixon
Everyones_A_Critic said:
Commando said: I know there were rumors about this, but this is the closest thing to actual confirmation that I ... [more]
Like I said in earlier comments, it isn't so much the idea of the voice so much as how far Bale jumps into it. He just completely covers up lines in this voice that comes across as borderline comical. It has some moments worse than others, and overall it doesn't ruin the movie for me.

My general opinion is that Christian Bale is an alright Batman in fantastic Batman movies. He gets certain aspects of the character down perfectly (a certain underlying sociopathy, his cold analytical approach) but he also has wild swings between those cool, calm moment and unbelievable histrionics. The voice is the perfect example of something that could be subtle and interesting, a "mask" that he uses to fade into who he truly believes himself to be, but in Bale's hands (or throat,) it becomes a distraction. He lacks a certain subtlety in his acting that the before mentioned Kevin Conroy and Michael Keaton both nail perfectly.

And mainly I was just so relieved that Maggie Gylenhall wasn't Katie Holmes that she never really annoyed me. Still, its a shame that the Rachel Dawes character ends up being such a goddamned waste.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

TheKidNixon said:
Everyones_A_Critic said: Commando said: I know there were rumors about this, but this is the closest thing to actual confirmation ... [more]
I can see that. Also, I agree that Holmes was the inferior Rachel Dawes, but I don't really feel as though her death was a waste. I mean, a love interest for a superhero can be fine, often humanizing them when you are convinced they're invincible. But it can also hurt just as bad as it helps (again, Spider Man 3).
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I certainly couldn't complain about this. ALL ABOARD!

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Riddler is a bit to similar to Joker they both have huge grins andcreepy laughs and the only thing that destinguishes riddler from joker is his gimmicky riddles i think they should just bring back harvey.... no catwoman or penguin please.... or mr freeze....goddamit arnold

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By cinemandrew
TheKidNixon said:
Everyones_A_Critic said: Commando said: I know there were rumors about this, but this is the closest thing to actual confirmation ... [more]
I totally agree. Although, I think he's a fantastic Bruce Wayne. He's a little too over the top with Batman, but when he's Wayne, he's just right. I love the scene after he runs the light to stop the truck. That little conversation him and Gordon have is priceless. There's the subtlety. I personally liked Keaton much better as Batman, but his version wouldn't really fit in this movie.

When you get down to it, a big part of why Bale's Batman feels out of place in these films is because the character feels a bit out of place. Sure you've got these villans running around in masks and costumes, but they're obviously psychotic. Conversely, Bruce Wayne/Batman are relatively sane. There's motivation for him to become a vigilante, but there never really feels like a need to dress up like a bat. Why didn't he just get some sort of dark combat armor, and bust heads in that? It seems like he would have realized how silly his idea was well before implementing it.

I think that's the problem. They never really took the time to really illustrate that this Bruce Wayne is fucked up enough to wear a bat suit. You can't fault Bale for that part at least. He didn't write it.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By jakob187

Old rumor that was trumped a LOOOONG time ago.  On top of which, there isn't even a script being written at the moment for the movie as far as anyone knows...so...