Offended at being told I will go to hell.

• 160 results
Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By Manatassi
@Suicrat said:
" @Manatassi: I can agree with the general thrust of your argument. The offence the TC has taken is entirely manufactured by the TC, that is something I acknowledged earlier. Also, I am an atheist who can accept and embrace the value of religion in other people's lives.The idea that some people have a place to go on a sunday (or a saturday, or a friday, or any other regularly or irregularly-kept schedule) to get together, and tell stories, and sing songs about how beautiful the world is, definitely a concrete value, and I will never reject that aspect of it.However, the concept of Hell in many religions is a binding force that, when applied politically, ought to be examined critically.And yes, I am aware that people of all faiths have been misrepresented by the most vocal and politically powerful among them. And to those who acknowledge that, and are doing their part to reform that aspect of their religion have my respect. Those that accept it for what it is, or pretend this phenomenon has value on its own, or turn a blind eye to the initiation of force in the name of their particular religion on the other hand, do not.But I was trying to point out that atheism isn't the mere pretense of certainty of the non-existence of God. It can also be a denial that nature, the universe, entropy, or whatever other so-broad-as-to-be-interpreted-as-universal phenomenae have personae of their own, have wills of their own, or are somehow worthy of unthinking submission.And your definition accepts my interpretation of atheism. An absence of theism isn't just the absence of god per se, but the assertion that particular branded systems of belief are not worth abdicating one's will. "

I am getting the Impression that I appear to be debating semantics with you over this topic on a Gaming forum lol.

I'm going to stop now as its getting a bit heavy and probably throwing a bunch of people. 
Debating these matters in a forum is not practical and its a bit difficult to get ideas down clearly without the benefit of face to face debate. 

That and I'm hungry and the kiddo just got back from school so I'm going to go make dinner :)

Your posts were interesting, and altho I do not always agree I do respect your opinion.

Have fun :)

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Suicrat
@Manatassi: But just like a person can accept God on faith but not subscribe to a religion, I can accept godlessness on faith and think Richard Dawkins isn't worth a second thought.

There are no atheist holidays.

My personal atheism is A-religious, but Theism can also be A-religious as well. (Ignore the dash, I was trying to make it visible that those are not typos.)

Some people do build religions around their specific atheistic notions. In fact, Buddhism doesn't personify creation but we call it a religion.

At some point though, words become meaningless when we blur the lines between thesis and antithesis to this extent.

And Christians may all have a tangled mess of different interpretations of different religious texts, but those that pay their tithe are submitting and subscribing to the beliefs of the people to whom they pay their tithe.

You would be able to say the same to me if I donated money to any atheist organization, but I don't.

You can however make that point about other atheists.

I personally am both Atheistic and Areligious, some people are one and not the other, some people are neither.
animegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By animegreen
@Termite said:
" Then I guess my grandfather, a man who went to seminary and is an ordained minister of the Lutheran Church, is going to hell then."
No, hes not going anywhere, he will be a memory, like my mother my grandmother, and everyone else who dies... because without the brain there can be no consciousness....  fact. dont worry though... his genetics survive with you and his offspring.
Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Manatassi
@animegreen said:
" @Manatassi said:
" @animegreen said: The Absence of an expressed Belief system is simply that, an Absence. In the same way a child cannot be convicted of murder or abuse due to the fact that they have not developed the ability to reason in such a way that responsibility can be accredited to them. 

The Definition of Religion is Mute.

The so called "religion" of Christianity is in-fact a Faith NOT a Religion. @Fallen189 to answer your statement. Your Belief that the world is "round" is a Belief or a matter of Faith. You could argue that you have enough evidence to support your Faith in the world being "round" and that you are content with that evidence. However it is quite viable that I could argue that your evidence is subjective and is being taken on Faith. It is perfectly reasonable to suggest that the world does not, in-fact, exist at all!

We function in our perceived "universe" by taking certain Beliefs on Faith. If we did not do so, we perceive that our universe would cease to be understandable, and we would be unable to function in the capacity we desire to. 

Perhaps we are all wrong and the only person with the right Idea is sitting in a mental institution insane with frustration at watching us walk around doing it all wrong. We take it on Faith that we are in-fact correct about our perception of the world. This does not make us right it simply keeps us in a state of being we like to call "sane". Or at least we Believe it does :D
"
Wth dude were a bunch of 17 year olds on a video game forum... quit bringing your harvard philospohy here take it somewhere else!!! j/k lol :D "
HeHe I had to comment on this!

I never actually attended Harvard but the comment is appreciated :)
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Suicrat
@Termite: You're right. I apologize.

I have been a real dick to some people in this thread and elsewhere; I apologize to all of you as well.
animegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By animegreen
@Manatassi said:
which university do you attend?
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Suicrat
@Manatassi: Indeed, we've gone too far down the semantic rabbit hole!

Let's just all agree to be a little more understanding of the aspects of life that people take on faith....

Except insofar as they impose on you against your...... godlessness I wish there was another word for 'free will' that was less controversial ;)
animegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By animegreen

maybe... it would have been a good idea to mention that I go to a private christian university (because I wasnt accepted to UT Austin and it was my backup) But since I go to a private christian university I get told im going to hell on a daily basis because im like the only atheist at the university and everyone tries to "convert " me .... it really sux. Im doing whatever I can to go to another university... but I missed the deadline for transfer because im irresponsible lawl.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By kmdrkul

The way I see it, there are three types of atheists:  the type that have found peace and comfort in their non-belief, the type that are frustrated as all hell (get it?) with religion and follow atheism as their sanctuary, and the kind that like to tell people they are atheists for the vanity of it.  Take a guess at which one you think you are, OP.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Arkthemaniac said:
"Quit being a prissy baby and stop caring what people say. You have the power to take offense to things, and you give yourself that power. You don't need to. "

@Minos said:
"

You're kind of self centered thinking that people actually spend time thinking about your future and beliefs.... nobody actually cares what you believe in or not...

"
These both seem like good responses. Of course people are going to fuck with you if you're an atheist. That's why you don't wear it on your fucking sleeve when you're out in public. I highly doubt if you're not professing your faith (or lack thereof) in public people are going to somehow pick up on the fact that you're an atheist and give you shit about it. Yeah, I'm an atheist too, but I've never had anyone ask me about it. If a job application asks "Religious Beliefs?" Fucking A right I put Catholic, you know why? Because it looks better than "Godless Sodomite". You know what you actually believe and that's all that matters.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Everyones_A_Critic:

You realise the sodomites only crime was being distrustfull of outsiders right? Not all that stuff christians would have you believe. They were rude and unwelcoming to Lot and his family, that's the sin they were guilty of, the modern accepted meaning of the word sodomy (IE all the sexual deviancy etc) was twisted into the meaning of the story much later on.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By HandsomeDead

There was a preacher a few times in my town centre and he told me I was going to burn in Hell unless I changed my ways. The first time I was kind of creeped out by it but after like the fifth time, I just got used to it. Don't pay no mind to what anyone else has to say about religious stuff.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@The_A_Drain said:
"@Everyones_A_Critic: You realise the sodomites only crime was being distrustfull of outsiders right? Not all that stuff christians would have you believe. They were rude and unwelcoming to Lot and his family, that's the sin they were guilty of, the modern accepted meaning of the word sodomy (IE all the sexual deviancy etc) was twisted into the meaning of the story much later on. "
Yeah, I realize that. I don't believe what the bible says about most of that stuff, but I was just saying it acknowledging the fact that not everyone knows it. Truth be told, Fred Phelps came to mind and I remembered his warm greeting of "Good Evening, Godless Sodomites!" in one of his crazy fundie videos.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Everyones_A_Critic:

I always refuse to sign those 'ethnic background' and 'whats ur religion?" forms. Unless they are compulsory, then I give the minimum answers possible (even though legally, they aren't supposed to be able to force you to fill those out, here anyway) i'm quite happy to leave religion blank, it doesnt lose or gain me any favor in my experience.
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#115  Edited By Commando

I still think you being offended by this is the same as someone who believes in Santa Clause telling me I'm getting coal in my stocking. Since I don't believe in Santa.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By iam3green

i have to say that u shouldn't care if people tell u that ur going to  hell. i don't believe in hell but i do believe after u die u will go somewhere else.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By CL60

I have no religion. I have no religious beliefs.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By ahriman22

Who cares? Know how many times I've been told I'll go to hell because I'm Atheist? Lots. I just laugh, give them the finger and walk away.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#119  Edited By mikemcn

Dude if your that bothered by that you never should have become an atheist, since you dont believe in hell, how can you go there? in your beliefs it doesnt even exist, think about it

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Al3xand3r
@Al3xand3r said:
" Do you honestly get random people come to you telling you you'll go to hell, or are you simply being provocative around religious groups yourself, putting down their beliefs at every chance, say if they happen to talk about church or something else, like you've done with this very thread? If both are true, stop it. If only the latter is true, stop it. If only the former is true, tell them to GTFO. "

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#121  Edited By mikemcn
@Al3xand3r said:
" Do you honestly get random people come to you telling you you'll go to hell, or are you simply being provocative around religious groups yourself, putting down their beliefs at every chance, say if they happen to talk about church or something else, like you've done with this very thread? If both are true, stop it. If only the latter is true, stop it. If only the former is true, tell them to GTFO. "
"
I have to agree with him.....
Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#122  Edited By Skillface
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
"These both seem like good responses. Of course people are going to fuck with you if you're an atheist. That's why you don't wear it on your fucking sleeve when you're out in public. I highly doubt if you're not professing your faith (or lack thereof) in public people are going to somehow pick up on the fact that you're an atheist and give you shit about it. Yeah, I'm an atheist too, but I've never had anyone ask me about it. If a job application asks "Religious Beliefs?" Fucking A right I put Catholic, you know why? Because it looks better than "Godless Sodomite". You know what you actually believe and that's all that matters.
This, this, and this.

You just wanted to stir up shit and have a reason to whine.
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#123  Edited By mracoon

If you don't believe in it I can't really see how you can be offended by it. If someone said that I was going reincarnated as a dog I wouldn't be offended because I don't believe in reincarnation.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Azteck

Not all Christians are all "you're going to hell when you die", most aren't actually. I don't appreciate generalization, so mind how you phrase yourself.

Also, you didn't actually prove there's no such thing as a sould. soul, did you? All you said that "there's no soul so how can we go to heaven when we die?" which isn't exactly proof of anything.

I'm not going to try and spread god into your hearts and minds, I will never try. Everyone gets to believe what they want, and I'm totally okay with that. Just be aware of how and what your write about things.

Just as an added side note, I'm not enraged by this, so no one get any funny ideas now, ya hear me?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#125  Edited By jakob187

I'm offended that you think you AREN'T going to Hell.  =  /  What now, son?

Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Shinryu
@Al3xand3r said:
" @Al3xand3r said:
"
QFT
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By ahriman22
@Azteck: No one can prove either side of the argument, so there really isn't a point in arguing about it.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By RetroIce4

Just let people believe what they want. I just mind my own business. People can believe in God if they want and I'm Atheist.

DrainDeimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By DrainDeimo

I belive in god but I don't believe most of the crap they told me in church so I stopped going. I also noticed that my church was pushy when people said they don't believe and that just seemed wrong. I don't really hang my life on the bible but try to follow the stories it shares you know be nice, Don't steal blah blah blah.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#130  Edited By natetodamax

Because many Christians believe they are right and that anyone who isn't a Christian is going to suffer. Logic is funny sometimes.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By dbz1995

My nan once said that if you are White, you are going to hell. Same kinda thing. And obviously, I disagree-its a ridiculous thing to say.

I believe in God, but he will send people to Heaven and Hell if they are good/bad people in the eyes of the world. Nothing else.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By iam3green

ur going to hell....

in other notes, how can u go to hell if u don't believe in god and heaven? no well just don't care when people tell u that ur going to hell.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"  My proof for knowing that hell doesn't exist is I am told that "it is a place your soul goes when you die".. but there is no soul. Because when you lose the Insular Cortex part of the brain you lose all consciousness... and when you die your brain dies. This also proves there is no heaven. (defined by: A place your soul goes for eternity that is with god.)" 

Wow, you have just settled the entire philosophy of cognitive science. Congratulations on knowing more than any other professor in the philosophy of mind.  

I actually laughed out loud when I read your post. Who would have known that a tween from giantbomb would prove that neither a soul nor heaven exist?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#134  Edited By eroticfishcake

I was wondering why this blog seemed familiar. It's three months old.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By MrSnow
@animegreen said:
P.P.S. Excuse my grammar and spelling English is my second language. "
Your english is serious.
MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By MrSnow
@animegreen said:
" @kmdrkul said:
" If they are telling you that you are going somewhere that you don't believe in, then you are either unsure of what you truly believe in or you let things affect you when they really shouldn't.  "
No, its more like I am offended  by how religious people(christians, pastafarians and muslims) walk around with a false sense of duty trying to "save" me. I am confident in my disbelief. "
Your not disbeliving because theres nothing to disbelive in

Sorry for double post but i cant edit from page 1
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By crunchUK

Don't go to america?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I think the only time I've been told to go to hell was by my father when I was 11 or so.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By eroticfishcake

Go to Heaven for the weather, Hell for the company. Or so I heard.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#140  Edited By Griddler
@animegreen: Well they shouldn't be telling you you are going to hell but I think you are completely mistaken in what you think is proof of souls not existing.
And proof is not the point of Christianity. Although such proof exists.
MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By MrSnow
@girdz said:

" @animegreen: Well they shouldn't be telling you you are going to hell but I think you are completely mistaken in what you think is proof of souls not existing. And proof is not the point of Christianity. Although such proof exists. "

Show me where i and i will belive because i dont give a shit for blessed is he who has not seen but yet believes. 
                                                                                                                                     Bible  Quote  from Jesus to a doubtful desciple who does not belive he has risen from the dead. I know because Mass is rammed down my troat at 1815 every Saturday night so you pick a few quotes up.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#142  Edited By artofwar420

Again with the circular reasoning. That shit doesn't play. 

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#143  Edited By Griddler
@MrSnow: Actually I have personal reasons for not saying what things have made me believe.
MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By MrSnow
@girdz said:
" @MrSnow: Actually I have personal reasons for not saying what things have made me believe. "
Spill the beans no one knows who you really are. Are you avoiding to make us curious?
Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#145  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Im a christian and i believe in god,but i dont hate you because of that.You believe what you believe!Dont give a shit about them!

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Aurelito

Extremist religious people (e.g. Christians)  believe that everyone who doesn't believe in a zombie revolution is going to hell. neglect them and better not to provoke them. (Ps: So if a zombie revolution is not going to happen, and I'm not going too resurrect  and I'm not going to be judged about my karma, why the hell should I care about morality and be concerned of doing good and evil? and another thing, why someone who created the whole universe should care about someone believing in him or not? after all, if he did it, he did it. there's nothing we can do about this. fuck these contradictions I'm going to heaven, if this place exists though.)

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By MiamiRedHawks
@animegreen said:
" I am an atheist and I know that Christians think I am going to hell. I also am told that if I don't believe in god then I will go to hell. This is very offensive; because I am 100% sure hell doesn't exist and when I die I don't want people thinking i am going to hell. lol.My proof for knowing that hell doesn't exist is I am told that "it is a place your soul goes when you die".. but there is no soul. Because when you lose the Insular Cortex part of the brain you lose all consciousness... and when you die your brain dies. This also proves there is no heaven. (defined by: A place your soul goes for eternity that is with god.)How can you go to hell if you have no soul? When you die nothing happens. Doesn't sound that bad to me.Any proof for souls? Reply if you think their is a soul. P.S. I have no problem with religion; It is kind of entertaining.  I just have a problem at being insulted and told I will go to hell when people try and prove to me god exists. P.P.S. Excuse my grammar and spelling English is my second language. "
I was raised Catholic, and after I left home I ceased practicing any organized religion out of personal choice. I think your being a little one dimensional by stating all Christians believe you are going to hell (if there even is such a place). Not all people follow their teachings that rigidly. One of the problems I had with Catholicism was that the bible stated people of other religions may not be "saved". If their really is a God I think he would be a little more understanding, and "save" people who lived out their lives in a positive manner, and I think that most Christians feel the same way. Just live your life in a positive way simply cause its the right thing to do, not because a book or preacher tells you to.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By RetroIce4

You care what they think and your offended? XD. Blow them off. 

lukeyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By lukeyk
@dbz1995 said:
"My nan once said that if you are White, you are going to hell. Same kinda thing. And obviously, I disagree-its a ridiculous thing to say.  I believe in God, but he will send people to Heaven and Hell if they are good/bad people in the eyes of the world. Nothing else. "

Lol. I remember you talking about that.  

Hmmm I believe that if there say is a hevan or a hell, and you go to either depending on whether your good or bad, but whether or not your good or evil its all a matter of perception and opionon. Say I go to someones house and I slit their throat, now you may see that as evil but say i then told you that if i hadnt he would of realesed some deadly toxins killing off the entire human population, so thats perspective of evil and then same sorta thing for opoinon. So its gods opoinon.  

But you guys do realize that it says nothing of hell in the bible yeh? And that it was ripped of other religions like so much of the christin religoin and that thhey ripped it off in the dark ages so that they could care the willies out of the people and so that they wouldnt rebel against the church and would keep paying it money, same kinda thing with purgatory. 

Oh and if a highly religous christian gets annoyed at you for accidently taking the piss out of his religoin or that kinda thing then always tell him that his god should smite you.  

And finally  God is all loving why would he send anyone  to hell? :)
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Colonel_Cool
@Eric_Buck said:
" And God seems like kind of a jerk. I mean "worship me or I'll send you to hell". That seems really dickish. He's a dictator (if he exists)... like Hitler... "
Most people's (including Christians') perceptions of hell are warped. Hell isn't a place with fire and brimstone and demons with pitchforks. The actual definition of hell (or the Catholic one at least) is the state in which your soul has been separated from God. So technically, when you goes to hell, God doesn't actually send you anywhere; you yourself move away (not referring to you personally btw).