Offended at being told I will go to hell.

• 160 results
NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By NickM
@animegreen said:
" I am an atheist and I know that Christians think I am going to hell. "
I'm Christian and I don't give two fucks about what will happen to you, I'm just doing my thing. I'm sure most are like that, so stop being paranoid.
angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By angelkanarias

Just think that while they are wasting their lifes for heaven, you are taking advantage of the only chance you have to live.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By The_A_Drain
@NickM said:
"@animegreen said:
" I am an atheist and I know that Christians think I am going to hell. "
I'm Christian and I don't give two fucks about what will happen to you, I'm just doing my thing. I'm sure most are like that, so stop being paranoid.
"

Most are, and i'm gratefull for it. But there are some crazies, and others who just feel the need to state their opinions at you for no reason. I mean, in my area there are a ton of christians, but it only takes the crazy black woman who preaches on the street corner telling everyone who doesnt take a leaflet that they are going to burn for all eternity, or the assholes that knock on your door during tea-time to ruin it for everyone. Like every other hobby, religion, job, etc etc, there are always a small percentage who spoil it for everyone else.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#54  Edited By Suicrat

I don't understand how you can possibly take offence at someone speaking incoherently to you.

Would you be offended if I were to tell you that you'll go to Blork when you take a shit if you're evil, and that you'll go to Shmengu when you take a shit if you're good? These statements are as incoherent as the notions of heaven and hell, but there's nothing offensive about incoherence (except to maybe your sense of love for minds capable of working with logic.)

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By eroticfishcake

Being an athiest, there are two types of people in my world. Those I like, and those that can go to Hell (even if I don't believe in it) regardless of your religion (or lack thereof).

Heaven is a figment of people's imaginations because they can't fully accept other people's deaths and thus they form a romanticised fantasyland where they are "still alive", comforting themselves that the ones they still love are still with them (in a manner of sorts). That's what I believe in. Whether or not I can prove I'm right or wrong doesn't matter. As like any other religion, it's my belief.

Nothing starts a thread going like the topic of religion! :3

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Suicrat
@NickM: Sounds like you're being a pretty bad Christian then. As a Christian, you're supposed to help save as many souls as you can in your lifetime. If you see the man in the ditch, you can't just keep walking... if you want to be a good Christian that is. If you're a Christian whose fine with going to hell himself though, then, that's a weird way of being Christian.
Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#57  Edited By Termite

I used to be one of those more aggressive Atheists who took offense to religion and spewed all of that "we must be perfectly rational" and "logic will win in the end!" nonsense but you know what happened? I realized how stupid all of that was. I started to understand the place that spirituality has in life and realized how in a country that is predominantly Atheistic, Japan, I find just as many absolute pricks and losers as I would back in the US. Knowing that society wouldn't really be any better without religion, and also knowing all of the positive things that religion can bring to one's life, I stopped all of the anti-religion stuff and decided to just chill out.

As for the being offended at being told you'll go to hell, why does it bother you? You don't believe in hell, and since that person has shown themselves to be kind of a dick why should you care what they think of you? Take the high road and realize that while they're just spreading hate, you're living your life.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By wealllikepie
@animegreen: oh and btw will you get offended if i call you a PUSSY :O
NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By NickM
@Suicrat said:
" @NickM: Sounds like you're being a pretty bad Christian then. As a Christian, you're supposed to help save as many souls as you can in your lifetime. If you see the man in the ditch, you can't just keep walking... if you want to be a good Christian that is. If you're a Christian whose fine with going to hell himself though, then, that's a weird way of being Christian. "
Make no mistake, if I see a man in a ditch, I'll help him, but I wont prosecute him due to his beliefs, and will not verbally assault or threaten him.
SadPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SadPanda

You know, it's not an unpopular stance to take that Hell is a term for the concept of being without God's presence.

For a person of faith, that could be interpreted as their inability to move past some spiritual quandary gained in life that does not allow you to accept God's love/redemption/transcendence or however you wish to call it.

For a person without faith, you merely hold that there is no God so being without his presence isn't a problem. If you are satisfied with that, then good for you. If there is no 'greater truth' then you can die content with being yourself.

There isn't even a problem for your atheist if it turns out that there was some greater existence past your normal span of years. If you are satisfied being atheistic, then you could persist in existing in your self-satisfaction (that last not used insultingly, you could be content with yourself). If it turns out there is something to experience after mortality and atheism is not sufficient any more, I hear God has infinite love and infinite patience and loves to throw a party.

Slippery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Slippery

I don't take offense when people tell me fairy tales, why do you?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#62  Edited By Jeust
@animegreen: 

look on the bright side: when you die if you're going to turn dust, you won't care anyway what people are blabbing about you... isn't it? :)

So get it out your system...

Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Demo

Say you're going to hell and you're happy about it. You couldn't be more blissful to be set to join the embrace of Belial.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I had some girl say "You're going to hell" to me once. She also said "I don't believe in ghosts I believe in Jesus." I started laughing really hard.

Another thing you can do though, is tell them their going to hell too. Just to get a reaction out of them.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Suicrat
@NickM:
But if your only concern for their person is their mortal self, then you're being a bad Christian. A Christian's duty is to save the souls of mankind.
animegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By animegreen
Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By Verdugo

I pay no mind to those who tell me things like that.

Let them believe what they believe and I'll believe what I believe.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68  Edited By tebbit
@Sabata said:
" @Arkthemaniac: Sort of agree with you there, although a side mission for some religions is also to prove other religions wrong. But that's neither here nor there. Point is, both Atheism and Religion deal in absolutes (there absolutly IS a god, there absolutely ISN'T a god) and absolutes, religious or not, are usually really dumb. That is why I am agnostic; I don't know and neither do you. "
THIS.

Atheists can say: God doesn't exist because of *BLAM BLAM BLAM* and Christians can say he does because *BIBLE COPYPASTE INSERT REASON*.
The fact has always been, and will remain, that no one can say absolutely whether any kind of Hell exists or not until they die, and at that stage they'll either be in Heaven saying "I told ya so", In hell saying "point taken" or dead, saying shit-all. So what's the point in arguing!?

In response to OP, you have every right to be offended if a Christian tells you to go to hell, because thats somebody using their beliefs to combat you, and thats just dicky. Then again i've always thought Atheism is a kinda lame too, because it does all the same things, except they act like an asshole about it.

In conclusion, people have different beliefs.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Suicrat
@Tebbit: That's not entirely true. Some atheists, such as myself say "Even if there was a verifiable God, I would refuse to acknowledge his authority". Just like Anarchists don't necessarily disbelieve the existence of governments, atheists don't necessarily disbelieve the existence of Gods; some of just deny their legitimacy and dominion.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#70  Edited By Willy105

Not all Christians believe in hell. Especially when the bible says there isn't one.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By tebbit
@Suicrat said:
" @Tebbit: That's not entirely true. Some atheists, such as myself say "Even if there was a verifiable God, I would refuse to acknowledge his authority". Just like Anarchists don't necessarily disbelieve the existence of governments, atheists don't necessarily disbelieve the existence of Gods; some of just deny their legitimacy and dominion. "
I see!

I'd be down with that.
ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ZeroCast

I suggest you ignore those people and look for the truth yourself, because if they wanted to "guide" you to the right path, then that is not the way to do it.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Al3xand3r

Do you honestly get random people come to you telling you you'll go to hell, or are you simply being provocative around religious groups yourself, putting down their beliefs at every chance, say if they happen to talk about church or something else, like you've done with this very thread? If both are true, stop it. If only the latter is true, stop it. If only the former is true, tell them to GTFO.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Fallen189

But you have aa religion: Atheism.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By NickM
@Suicrat said:
" @NickM:But if your only concern for their person is their mortal self, then you're being a bad Christian. A Christian's duty is to save the souls of mankind. "
Do you even understand what you're saying? Because I don't. Mortal self? Where did you pull that out from? Ah, whatever I don't really give a damn regardless.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Suicrat
@NickM: I pulled it out from Christianity.

Christianity is a way of living that is concerned more with the afterlife than with life itself. If you have no concern for the immortal souls of your fellow human beings, and your only concern for them is their quality of life on this earth, then you're not doing your job.
NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By NickM
@Suicrat said:  Are you saying that if I want to be a good christian I should run around like a crazy and condemn atheists and people of other religion to hell? Because I don't think that that makes you a good christian, let alone person.
animegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By animegreen
@NickM said:
" @Suicrat said:  Are you saying that if I want to be a good christian I should run around like a crazy and condemn atheists and people of other religion to hell? Because I don't think that that makes you a good christian, let alone person. "
NO NO NO!!! I dont think he was trying to say that. I think he was trying to say that the BIBLE says that is what christians should do.. Im glad you made the right choice though.

@Fallen189 said:
" But you have aa religion: Atheism. "
You join a religion. It is impossible to be born believing in god, Zeus, Flying spaghetti monster, or Allah.

In fact every living person is born an atheist... would you say a infant is a member of a religion? No..

So how is the absence of faith a religion...
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Suicrat
@NickM: I'm saying as a Christian your primary concern should be to find the best possible way of getting as many people to heaven as possible. That involves getting people to 1) Accept Jesus as their lord and savior, (2) Admit they are sinners, (3) Confess their sins and atone, so that they will be allowed into heaven. For some Christians, that involves telling atheists that they're going to hell, for others it involves trying to get alcoholics and drug addicts to replace their addiction to substances with an addiction to Christ; for yet others it involves going on "missions" to the "godless" parts of the world, and attempting to teach them the ways of Christ and get them to devote their own lives to the prospect of heaven.

If you do anything less than that then what's the point of being a Christian, unless you're not really a Christian, and you just tell people you're not, so as not to offend your family, neighbours, et cetera.

If you're being a Christian who's just "living his/her life", and not devoting your life to the post-mortal salvation of mankind then you're going to hell too.
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By tebbit
@animegreen said:
" @NickM said:
" @Suicrat said:  Are you saying that if I want to be a good christian I should run around like a crazy and condemn atheists and people of other religion to hell? Because I don't think that that makes you a good christian, let alone person. "
NO NO NO!!! I dont think he was trying to say that. I think he was trying to say that the BIBLE says that is what christians should do.. Im glad you made the right choice though.

@Fallen189 said:
You join a religion. It is impossible to be born believing in god, Zeus, Flying spaghetti monster, or Allah. In fact every living person is born an atheist... would you say a infant is a member of a religion? No..So how is the absence of faith a religion... "
I would say everyone is born agnostic. You still have to decide not to believe in religion!
NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By NickM
@Suicrat said:
" @NickM: I'm saying as a Christian your primary concern should be to find the best possible way of getting as many people to heaven as possible. That involves getting people to 1) Accept Jesus as their lord and savior, (2) Admit they are sinners, (3) Confess their sins and atone, so that they will be allowed into heaven. For some Christians, that involves telling atheists that they're going to hell, for others it involves trying to get alcoholics and drug addicts to replace their addiction to substances with an addiction to Christ; for yet others it involves going on "missions" to the "godless" parts of the world, and attempting to teach them the ways of Christ and get them to devote their own lives to the prospect of heaven.If you do anything less than that then what's the point of being a Christian, unless you're not really a Christian, and you just tell people you're not, so as not to offend your family, neighbours, et cetera.If you're being a Christian who's just "living his/her life", and not devoting your life to the post-mortal salvation of mankind then you're going to hell too. "
I forgot to mention that I'm not a Catholic or Mormon, or any other crappy pop version of christianity etc. I'm a Christian Old Believer, and we aren't really concerned with other peoples choices. Its a very strict religion and we pray for our own forgiveness. If a person decides to ask for forgiveness, good. If not, well, God will be his judge, we do not have the authority to condemn people to hell.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Commando

Why do you care if we think you're going to hell? 

That would be like someone who believes in Santa Clause telling me I'm getting coal in my stocking this year.
Oh yeah and some branches of Christianity think if you're a good person, you're going to heaven. 
Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Manatassi
@animegreen said:
" I am an atheist and I know that Christians think I am going to hell. I also am told that if I don't believe in god then I will go to hell. This is very offensive; because I am 100% sure hell doesn't exist and when I die I don't want people thinking i am going to hell. lol.My proof for knowing that hell doesn't exist is I am told that "it is a place your soul goes when you die".. but there is no soul. Because when you lose the Insular Cortex part of the brain you lose all consciousness... and when you die your brain dies. This also proves there is no heaven. (defined by: A place your soul goes for eternity that is with god.)How can you go to hell if you have no soul? When you die nothing happens. Doesn't sound that bad to me.Any proof for souls? Reply if you think their is a soul. P.S. I have no problem with religion; It is kind of entertaining.  I just have a problem at being insulted and told I will go to hell when people try and prove to me god exists. P.P.S. Excuse my grammar and spelling English is my second language. "

In my experience you might get one or two vocal people standing around in a city centre preaching, other than that I don't see where exactly you are having these beliefs Forced upon you, unless you are seeking them out. If that is the case then its your own problem as you are the one looking to be offended.

You speak about having Christians think you are going to hell offending you and then carry on to state that there is no soul and that science has proven this as you would lose the functionality of your insular cortex. 

Now aside from the irony of your statement being in the fact that you are offended by people expressing their beliefs in a public forum that offend you and your post doing exactly that. This also raises the interesting fact that your statement was not actually founded in any real Scientific method and that you are clearly parroting things that you have either learned badly or simply failed to understand. 

Science has at no point Proven or Disproved the existence of God or the soul, there is no categorical proof of either their reality or their absence. 

The very statement that Science has "proven" anything is in itself inaccurate. True scientific methods accept that everything is possible in order to make a measurement of PROBABILITY. 

Now if you had said that you Believe that what Christians believe is in-fact incorrect as you find their beliefs implausible due to your own perception of reality and your idea of probability. Then and only then would your statement have been truly a comment worth making. However as it stands you simply Quoted ideas and doctrine, which you clearly have little true understanding of.

Interestingly you yourself are exactly guilty of making a personal judgement of a large group of people who hold a particular belief, you have condemned them as "offensive" and have sighted evidence that you do not fully understand but clearly trust as people you believe in have given it to you through books, word of mouth or other means. 

I would ask you exactly how does this make you any different from the Christians you are Offended by?

Atheism is always an interesting and self deluded state of little more than a belief system that relies on not having a belief system.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Suicrat
@Manatassi:
Once again, I feel the need to elucidate some of the basic nuances of atheism.

Atheism is not monochromatic, first of all, but I'm sure you already know that.

Second of all, a person doesn't need to be certain in their disbelief of the existence of God to be able to whole-mindedly reject the notion that other people's insistence on specific methods of personifying natural processes are a justifiable means of wielding political power

Thirdly, an atheist has the option of eventually being defiant to the God him/her/it/themself/ves. Even if a Christian could prove to me that the entity responsible for the entire universe came down and impregnated Mary, or came down and gave Moses the Ten Commandments, or came down and told Mohamed to propagate his truths, I would still have the option of asking "but where does the notion of worship and submission come in?"

Atheism isn't simply the certainty of godlessness (because as you said in your post, certainty to the extent we're describing is impossible), but the firm belief that just because a thing is responsible for my existence, doesn't mean I owe it my existence.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Illmatic

You're offended because they tell you you're going somewhere you don't believe in? That's like me being upset that my little cousin locks me in her imaginary prison during playtime.

MarcusOfLycia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By MarcusOfLycia
@Suicrat said:
Atheism isn't simply the certainty of godlessness (because as you said in your post, certainty to the extent we're describing is impossible), but the firm belief that just because a thing is responsible for my existence, doesn't mean I owe it my existence. "

That would most likely be up to "the thing that is responsible for [your] existence" I would think.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Suicrat
@MarcusOfLycia:
Well, no, not necessarily. It would be a contest of wills.

And yes, I would go to war with God if God tried to oppress me.

Give me liberty or give me death, even at the hands of a God.
animegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By animegreen
@Suicrat said:
" Give me liberty or give me death, even at the hands of a God. "
wow. that is a great improvement to the old quote.
eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By eric_buck

And God seems like kind of a jerk. I mean "worship me or I'll send you to hell". That seems really dickish. He's a dictator (if he exists)... like Hitler...

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Fallen189
@animegreen said:
" @NickM said:

@Fallen189 said:
You join a religion. It is impossible to be born believing in god, Zeus, Flying spaghetti monster, or Allah. In fact every living person is born an atheist... would you say a infant is a member of a religion? No..So how is the absence of faith a religion... "
You have a belief that there is no God. That's a religion.
animegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By animegreen
@Fallen189 said:
" @animegreen said:
" @NickM said:

@Fallen189 said:
You have a belief that there is no God. That's a religion. "
I also believe that the world is round... is that a religion?

Using your logic believing that the earth isnt flat would be just as much a religion as Islam, Christianity, Greek mythology, or pastafarianism? Pardon my disagreement...
Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Manatassi
@Suicrat said:
" @Manatassi:
Once again, I feel the need to elucidate some of the basic nuances of atheism.

Atheism is not monochromatic, first of all, but I'm sure you already know that.

Second of all, a person doesn't need to be certain in their disbelief of the existence of God to be able to whole-mindedly reject the notion that other people's insistence on specific methods of personifying natural processes are a justifiable means of wielding political power

Thirdly, an atheist has the option of eventually being defiant to the God him/her/it/themself/ves. Even if a Christian could prove to me that the entity responsible for the entire universe came down and impregnated Mary, or came down and gave Moses the Ten Commandments, or came down and told Mohamed to propagate his truths, I would still have the option of asking "but where does the notion of worship and submission come in?"

Atheism isn't simply the certainty of godlessness (because as you said in your post, certainty to the extent we're describing is impossible), but the firm belief that just because a thing is responsible for my existence, doesn't mean I owe it my existence. "

The definition of Atheism was not what I was commenting to dispute, I am not taking issue with the beliefs expressed merely the idea that a system of belief is being proposed as fact in order to make judgement on another system of belief.

I do not care about the nuances of Atheism or your particular Beliefs, I merely wished to point out that I found this particular post/thread to be full of inconsistent ideas and an unsupportable argument due to its self destructive and contradictory nature. 
This amused me and I felt like commenting.

"Atheism is the position that deities do not exist, or the rejection of theism. In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities"

A common representation of the Atheist beliefs, no?

I simply hold that the common definition of Atheism is a system of belief that rejects other systems of belief, how exactly this is of benefit to anyone I have no idea and little incentive to care.

It would appear to me that Atheism, which is so commonly adopted by people who feel that they get some satisfaction from challenging established systems of belief, be those religious or Governmental, is a useless belief system.
But then I would hold that the majority of people in the world could be considered "useless" not excluding myself. 

If my broad perception of your beliefs causes you to "feel the need to elucidate some of the basic nuances of atheism." then how can you stand in judgement of people who believe in a differing doctrine having the same needs.
If you do not then we are in agreement over the nature of this thread. However the person who started this thread was the subject/focus of my comments and my interest lay exclusively in commenting on HIS comment.

If you are distressed by the perceived incorrect comprehension of your idea of Atheism then perhaps it is time for you to consider that many others be they Christian, Muslim or Hindu may feel that their particular definition of their beliefs has been represented poorly by the common knowledge of society? Perhaps you can find empathy in yourself with the common plight of the people who are not understood and criticized on forums like these every day?

Perhaps people could stop before making Judgmental defensive posts such as the one at the head of this thread and take into account how their words may make people feel.

On the other hand people could continue to reinforce my negative skeptical view that they are simply making aggressive statements that provoke anger and negative feelings in others because they are utterly self involved and couldn't give a shit how what they say might affect other people.

That goes to the Atheists who pass judgement on the Christians as much as the Christians who shout fire and brimstone at the Atheists.

In my experience however the extremist Christians are far and few between and unless i seek them out I have no contact with them. On the other hand the sheer number of aggressive angry Atheists who express their Judgement on Christians for the very thing they are doing themselves seems apparent to me. 

Just because your own beliefs do not offend you do not assume that they are not hurtful to people who find solace in their beliefs. 

Commonly however the arguments seem to come from Atheists that they are angry at or against certain beliefs because of the harm that they do. I would say that Atheism has caused no more or less harm to people than any other Belief system as the People who use others Beliefs to cause harm are the real threat. 

People are the cause of suffering on people, NOT Christianity NOT the Muslim faith and NOT Atheism.  

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Fallen189

@Animegreen

Don't be a precocious idiot. Stop comparing such out of the situation things like that when we're deferring to religion.

I could be like you and say "Durp, I dont believe in oxygen 'cause I can't see it"

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Suicrat
@Fallen189:
Belief is not the entirety of religion.
Institutions, books, buildings, symbols, holidays, and doctrines make up religion.

A person can have a belief there is a god but subscribe to any particular religion's interpretation of God.

Atheism is not unified, and it isn't branching either (the way Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism is). It is broad, chaotic melange of sometimes-conflicting ideas, notions, conceptions, and beliefs.

Besides, if we're to get into the original, etymological definition of the word religion: "A personal relationship with God", then no religion is religious, and atheism is definitely not religious.

By any definition of the word, aheism is not a religion. Whether or not people except the notion of godlessness on faith, on the other hand is an entirely different matter.
Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Manatassi
@animegreen said:
" @Fallen189 said:
" @animegreen said:
" @NickM said:

@Fallen189 said:
You have a belief that there is no God. That's a religion. "
I also believe that the world is round... is that a religion? "
The Absence of an expressed Belief system is simply that, an Absence. In the same way a child cannot be convicted of murder or abuse due to the fact that they have not developed the ability to reason in such a way that responsibility can be accredited to them. 

The Definition of Religion is Mute.

The so called "religion" of Christianity is in-fact a Faith NOT a Religion. @Fallen189 to answer your statement. Your Belief that the world is "round" is a Belief or a matter of Faith. You could argue that you have enough evidence to support your Faith in the world being "round" and that you are content with that evidence. However it is quite viable that I could argue that your evidence is subjective and is being taken on Faith. It is perfectly reasonable to suggest that the world does not, in-fact, exist at all!

We function in our perceived "universe" by taking certain Beliefs on Faith. If we did not do so, we perceive that our universe would cease to be understandable, and we would be unable to function in the capacity we desire to. 

Perhaps we are all wrong and the only person with the right Idea is sitting in a mental institution insane with frustration at watching us walk around doing it all wrong. We take it on Faith that we are in-fact correct about our perception of the world. This does not make us right it simply keeps us in a state of being we like to call "sane". Or at least we Believe it does :D
animegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By animegreen
@Manatassi said:
" @animegreen said: The Absence of an expressed Belief system is simply that, an Absence. In the same way a child cannot be convicted of murder or abuse due to the fact that they have not developed the ability to reason in such a way that responsibility can be accredited to them. 

The Definition of Religion is Mute.

The so called "religion" of Christianity is in-fact a Faith NOT a Religion. @Fallen189 to answer your statement. Your Belief that the world is "round" is a Belief or a matter of Faith. You could argue that you have enough evidence to support your Faith in the world being "round" and that you are content with that evidence. However it is quite viable that I could argue that your evidence is subjective and is being taken on Faith. It is perfectly reasonable to suggest that the world does not, in-fact, exist at all!

We function in our perceived "universe" by taking certain Beliefs on Faith. If we did not do so, we perceive that our universe would cease to be understandable, and we would be unable to function in the capacity we desire to. 

Perhaps we are all wrong and the only person with the right Idea is sitting in a mental institution insane with frustration at watching us walk around doing it all wrong. We take it on Faith that we are in-fact correct about our perception of the world. This does not make us right it simply keeps us in a state of being we like to call "sane". Or at least we Believe it does :D
"
Wth dude were a bunch of 17 year olds on a video game forum... quit bringing your harvard philospohy here take it somewhere else!!! j/k lol :D
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Suicrat
@Manatassi: I can agree with the general thrust of your argument. The offence the TC has taken is entirely manufactured by the TC, that is something I acknowledged earlier. Also, I am an atheist who can accept and embrace the value of religion in other people's lives.

The idea that some people have a place to go on a sunday (or a saturday, or a friday, or any other regularly or irregularly-kept schedule) to get together, and tell stories, and sing songs about how beautiful the world is, definitely a concrete value, and I will never reject that aspect of it.

However, the concept of Hell in many religions is a binding force that, when applied politically, ought to be examined critically.

And yes, I am aware that people of all faiths have been misrepresented by the most vocal and politically powerful among them. And to those who acknowledge that, and are doing their part to reform that aspect of their religion have my respect. Those that accept it for what it is, or pretend this phenomenon has value on its own, or turn a blind eye to the initiation of force in the name of their particular religion on the other hand, do not.

But I was trying to point out that atheism isn't the mere pretense of certainty of the non-existence of God. It can also be a denial that nature, the universe, entropy, or whatever other so-broad-as-to-be-interpreted-as-universal phenomenae have personae of their own, have wills of their own, or are somehow worthy of unthinking submission.

And your definition accepts my interpretation of atheism. An absence of theism isn't just the absence of god per se, but the assertion that particular branded systems of belief are not worth abdicating one's will.
Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Manatassi
@Suicrat said:
" @Fallen189:
Belief is not the entirety of religion.
Institutions, books, buildings, symbols, holidays, and doctrines make up religion.

A person can have a belief there is a god but subscribe to any particular religion's interpretation of God.

Atheism is not unified, and it isn't branching either (the way Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism is). It is broad, chaotic melange of sometimes-conflicting ideas, notions, conceptions, and beliefs.

Besides, if we're to get into the original, etymological definition of the word religion: "A personal relationship with God", then no religion is religious, and atheism is definitely not religious.

By any definition of the word, aheism is not a religion. Whether or not people except the notion of godlessness on faith, on the other hand is an entirely different matter. "

Using your own arguments Atheism is in-fact exactly what you have Labelled a Religion. 

Are there not many books published on the subject of Atheism? 
Are there not many differing opinions of people who all call themselves Atheist?
Are there not common popular cultures and symbols and fashions associated with aspects of Atheism?

It is absurd to deny any of these.

I think it would be foolish to attempt to attempt to pry Atheism apart form any other label such as Hindu simply with the crude tool of labeling those Religion and Atheism as something else. 

"It is broad, chaotic melange of sometimes-conflicting ideas, notions, conceptions, and beliefs."

What exactly do you think Christianity is? Your description of Atheism fits it pretty well.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By ninjakiller

You should see the movie Drag Me to Hell.  I thought it might be good, but man, it was awesome!  What's this thread about anyway?

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#100  Edited By Termite
@Suicrat said:
" @NickM: I'm saying as a Christian your primary concern should be to find the best possible way of getting as many people to heaven as possible. That involves getting people to 1) Accept Jesus as their lord and savior, (2) Admit they are sinners, (3) Confess their sins and atone, so that they will be allowed into heaven. For some Christians, that involves telling atheists that they're going to hell, for others it involves trying to get alcoholics and drug addicts to replace their addiction to substances with an addiction to Christ; for yet others it involves going on "missions" to the "godless" parts of the world, and attempting to teach them the ways of Christ and get them to devote their own lives to the prospect of heaven.If you do anything less than that then what's the point of being a Christian, unless you're not really a Christian, and you just tell people you're not, so as not to offend your family, neighbours, et cetera.If you're being a Christian who's just "living his/her life", and not devoting your life to the post-mortal salvation of mankind then you're going to hell too. "
Then I guess my grandfather, a man who went to seminary and is an ordained minister of the Lutheran Church, is going to hell then. His wife has done a lot of stuff such as working with churches in Africa to help locals but I can't think of that many things outside of his work as a minister which would be categorized as work towards people's post-mortal salvation. He doesn't proselytize people, and in fact just this month he worked together with a Rabbi to oversee a mixed-faith wedding (One of my Christian cousins marrying a Jewish man.) He doesn't go around telling people they're going to hell, helping addicts cure their addiction and replace it with Christ, and I don't think he's ever been on a mission anywhere to convert people. He has certainly devoted his life to Christianity, but he hasn't devoted it to converting people because not all Christians are like that or have to be like that. He thinks we should respect other people's opinions and not force our own ideas down their throats.

The Bible is a long book, and one that's open to a lot of interpretation. The whole thing is further complicated by the fact that my grandpa isn't a non-Orthodox Lutheran who has preached in the past that he believes the Bible is not meant to be read as a textbook; it should be read as a moral guide to help us get through life.

There are lots of different types of Christians out there Suicrat, and it's not up to you to judge what makes a person a good Christian.