The Anonymity Of The Internet (Please take the time to read this)

• 53 results
lostaddict1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By lostaddict1993

Why do people behave the way they do online? I recently ran into a friend of mine who i knew in real life who had changed his xbox live gamertag to "x(insert clan name here)xBESTxSailboats" My question is why? Now I know that this is an incredibly mild example but it shows the fact that people feel that they can do whatever they want when they have the anonymity of the internet on their side. Would you normally walk up to somebody on the street and tell them to call you Sailboats? I would hope not and if you do then there is a deeper problem to discover. Why do we all do these things. Why do ten year olds feel that it's okay to say the sentence, "F*ck you you f*cking fag. You can go burn in hell for all I care. Just go f*ck off and kill yourself you f*cking stupid f*ck!" (Not joking about that exact sentence). Many people blame the parents so that raises the question, where are they? Why is nobody teaching these children that this behavior will not allow them to function in the real world. For older people who are assholes on the internet and feel the need to bitch and moan and insult everybody that you have a minor disagreement with...it's just too late for them. But for the ten to twelve year olds who are playing Call of Duty: World at War and Gears of War 2, where is their parent? Why do they respond to my reasonable question of, "Should I plant A or B?" with an exclamation of, "Decide your f*cking self you dumb f*ck"? Whether you are one of those homophobic, racist or insulting people that hide behind the anonymity of the internet or not, please comment on this with your opinion on the state of the internet these days.

lostaddict1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lostaddict1993

Why do people behave the way they do online? I recently ran into a friend of mine who i knew in real life who had changed his xbox live gamertag to "x(insert clan name here)xBESTxSailboats" My question is why? Now I know that this is an incredibly mild example but it shows the fact that people feel that they can do whatever they want when they have the anonymity of the internet on their side. Would you normally walk up to somebody on the street and tell them to call you Sailboats? I would hope not and if you do then there is a deeper problem to discover. Why do we all do these things. Why do ten year olds feel that it's okay to say the sentence, "F*ck you you f*cking fag. You can go burn in hell for all I care. Just go f*ck off and kill yourself you f*cking stupid f*ck!" (Not joking about that exact sentence). Many people blame the parents so that raises the question, where are they? Why is nobody teaching these children that this behavior will not allow them to function in the real world. For older people who are assholes on the internet and feel the need to bitch and moan and insult everybody that you have a minor disagreement with...it's just too late for them. But for the ten to twelve year olds who are playing Call of Duty: World at War and Gears of War 2, where is their parent? Why do they respond to my reasonable question of, "Should I plant A or B?" with an exclamation of, "Decide your f*cking self you dumb f*ck"? Whether you are one of those homophobic, racist or insulting people that hide behind the anonymity of the internet or not, please comment on this with your opinion on the state of the internet these days.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Gameboi

Sad but true: We live in a society in which people no longer feel responsible for their own actions.  It happens in real life, and with anonymity (or so most people like to kid themselves into believing) online, a little role-playing goes on. The best you can do is to avoid it whenever possible, and make it a point to never become that  which you despise.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bulldog19892
The Unfortunate Truth of the Internet
Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MasturbatingBear

I dont understand your point about the gamertag. Whats wrong with the name sailboats or something? Is there some hidden meaning im not getting? Of course you wouldn't ask someone to call you sailboats but would you want to put your real name out there?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Rowr

I blame society.....or something.

I especially love it when people take shit to seriously and cry. Until the internet is eventually no fun for anyone.

lostaddict1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lostaddict1993

Bear my point about the whole sailboats name is just the fact that people feel the need to act immature when they have the anonymity of the internet on their side. Not that it's angry or offensive but these are grown people who name themselves sailboats...just incontravertibly immature. 

lostaddict1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lostaddict1993

Yeah Gameboi I totally see your point. There's not alot we can do with a microphone or even a blog inspired soapbox, we're likely never going to change those people. The sad fact is that those people will always be out there.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Lies
lostaddict1993 said:
"Bear my point about the whole sailboats name is just the fact that people feel the need to act immature when they have the anonymity of the internet on their side. Not that it's angry or offensive but these are grown people who name themselves sailboats...just incontravertibly immature. "
Yes. Making your gamertag "Sailboat" is so INCREDIBLY immature. in fact, it's incontravertibly immature. Because, you know, sailboats are like, menaces to society and everything.
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bulldog19892
Lies said:
"lostaddict1993 said:
"Bear my point about the whole sailboats name is just the fact that people feel the need to act immature when they have the anonymity of the internet on their side. Not that it's angry or offensive but these are grown people who name themselves sailboats...just incontravertibly immature. "
Yes. Making your gamertag "Sailboat" is so INCREDIBLY immature. in fact, it's incontravertibly immature. Because, you know, sailboats are like, menaces to society and everything."
Oh those rebellious sailboats! They're such scamps!
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By fr0br0
Bulldog19892 said:
"Lies said:
"lostaddict1993 said:
Yes. Making your gamertag "Sailboat" is so INCREDIBLY immature. in fact, it's incontravertibly immature. Because, you know, sailboats are like, menaces to society and everything."
Oh those rebellious sailboats! They're such scamps!"
You just don't understand! You motor boats think you're in control with your motors and shit, but your not! Your being controlled with the government pigs behind the wheel. Us sailboats lead our own lives and go with the wind. ANARCHY! ANARCHY!
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Fr0Br0 said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
"Lies said:
"lostaddict1993 said:
Oh those rebellious sailboats! They're such scamps!"
You just don't understand! You motor boats think you're in control with your motors and shit, but your not! Your being controlled with the government pigs behind the wheel. Us sailboats lead our own lives and go with the wind. ANARCHY! ANARCHY!"
yeah this is essentially what I mean. Wtf is your problem with boats? how is he immature? whats wrong with your name? lostaddict1993? wtf? were you born in 93? your an addict? stop being immature and complaining about others.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

No one is anonymous to me on the interwebz.  = D  Just ask Levio...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Jayge_
Bulldog19892 said:
"
"
UT2004 had one of the best online communities ever. Fail.
lostaddict1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lostaddict1993

Wow bear if you feel so strongly about this, spend all of your time making up the dumbest, most immature names you can think of and maybe in the process of wasting your life you'll see my point. lol. It's sad and for somebody who is going to be "out in the big world" soon he shouldn't have had enough time on his hands to spend hours thinking of this...creative name. Oh yes, hours.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By super_machine

I usually sign my real name when I'm having a good conversation with someone.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bulldog19892
lostaddict1993 said:
"Wow bear if you feel so strongly about this, spend all of your time making up the dumbest, most immature names you can think of and maybe in the process of wasting your life you'll see my point. lol. It's sad and for somebody who is going to be "out in the big world" soon he shouldn't have had enough time on his hands to spend hours thinking of this...creative name. Oh yes, hours."
I'm not quite sure if this is in English or not. Either way, stop posting with that 'holier than thou' attitude of criticism and come back down to solid ground. No one thinks your cool when you look down your nose at people and call them immature, it just makes you annoying, especially if you are also young.
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bulldog19892
Jayge said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
"
"
UT2004 had one of the best online communities ever. Fail."
Which fits since you are also a fuckwad. Win.

I kid, I kid. :)
lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lamegame621
jakob187 said:
"No one is anonymous to me on the interwebz.  = D  Just ask Levio..."
HAHA.  Holy shit, can I hire you to put some XBL users in their place?!?!
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By serbsta
Lies said:
"lostaddict1993 said:
Woah! My sarcasm detector just went through the roof!
lostaddict1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lostaddict1993

I don't have a holier than thou attitude, but I recognize things and say what's wrong. For the people that this pisses off it simply must be because your gamertag/psn id fits my description perfectly and you just can't handle somebody else recognizing your stupidity.

robot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By robot

I blame the government not legalizeing Mary Jane.  MY RO-BO senses always good when i put it in my decomposer.  I like screaming 10 year old.  They say funny things about funny people.  Nobody ever insults a robot.  They know i vaporize your naughty parts if you do. 

lostaddict1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lostaddict1993

Well that's one opinion to have.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StaticFalconar

The point you're missing is the key word internet.

Parents have taught their kids to behave in the real world, but the net isn't exactly real to them. In real life, a kid says fuck you to your neighbor, the parent will hear about it. But on the net, no one truly cares enough to tell on their parents since their parents probably doesn't even use the net that much anyway.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TwoOneFive

i almost said lol in real life one time

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bulldog19892 said:
"
"
Yeah, you win, 
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MasturbatingBear
lostaddict1993 said:
"Wow bear if you feel so strongly about this, spend all of your time making up the dumbest, most immature names you can think of and maybe in the process of wasting your life you'll see my point. lol. It's sad and for somebody who is going to be "out in the big world" soon he shouldn't have had enough time on his hands to spend hours thinking of this...creative name. Oh yes, hours."
how did i spend hours thining of my name? my name is just a joke, I thought about it in like 2 minutes remembering ryan mentioning masturbating bear. You are extremely immature because you make no sense. What does someones name (sailboat) have to do with their personality. Are you saying your an addict. Why don't you think about what your fucking saying and explain your name? How about you explain how names are immature.
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bulldog19892
lostaddict1993 said:
"I don't have a holier than thou attitude, but I recognize things and say what's wrong. For the people that this pisses off it simply must be because your gamertag/psn id fits my description perfectly and you just can't handle somebody else recognizing your stupidity."
My gamertag is Bulldog19892. Does that make me immature? Really, I'm dying to know. Also, please don't generalize your opposition. It's like calling someone a pothead because they support the legalization of medicinal marijuana.
lostaddict1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lostaddict1993

To respond to Bear, I didn't say YOU spent hours thinking of your name. I said the sailboat in question did. Read closer and pay attention before you start flaming the forums. When names have meaning behind them they make sense. Mine is lostaddict because the show Lost is my favorite show and that is my email address. MasturbatingBear has a story behind it, great. I'm sure Bulldog19892 also has some meaning in it. The point is this genius that I'm talking about took hours thinking of a good gamertag and he came up with sailboats...has no meaning and no connection to him...just the dumbest random word he thought up. And honestly how the hell did you come to the conclusion that my opinion is too general? If somebody is ten years old and they are screaming rediculous profanities online because their parents don't care then I know there's something messed up there. That's not generalizing. That I can figure out using common sense and the fact that I can hear/see what they are saying. 

lostaddict1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lostaddict1993

StaticFalconar that's exactly what I mean. How people feel like they can do and say whatever they want when they think nobody will find out when these are things that they know they could never get away with in the real world. And if they don't know that there is a much deeper problem.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bulldog19892
lostaddict1993 said:
"To respond to Bear, I didn't say YOU spent hours thinking of your name. I said the sailboat in question did. Read closer and pay attention before you start flaming the forums. When names have meaning behind them they make sense. Mine is lostaddict because the show Lost is my favorite show and that is my email address. MasturbatingBear has a story behind it, great. I'm sure Bulldog19892 also has some meaning in it. The point is this genius that I'm talking about took hours thinking of a good gamertag and he came up with sailboats...has no meaning and no connection to him...just the dumbest random word he thought up. And honestly how the hell did you come to the conclusion that my opinion is too general? If somebody is ten years old and they are screaming rediculous profanities online because their parents don't care then I know there's something messed up there. That's not generalizing. That I can figure out using common sense and the fact that I can hear/see what they are saying. "
So a gamertag has to have meaning to not be stupid? A gamertag simply has to sound good to the person using it. He probably thought it was funny, or cute or something. I don't see how that makes him immature or stupid. It's a gamertag, it's not his magnum opus.

Also, that is not what I was referring to at all when I criticized you for generalizing your opposition. "For the people that this pisses off it simply must be because your gamertag/psn id fits my description perfectly and you just can't handle somebody else recognizing your stupidity." is the quote I was referring to. You're essentially saying "the people who disagree with me about how Sailboats is a stupid and immature name must also have stupid, immature names", a statement you completely contradict in your next post when you use our names as examples of names that have meaning, and are not stupid.
lostaddict1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lostaddict1993

Well since you enjoy picking apart every last word said, here goes. MY point about sailboats being stupid is the fact that it takes a person hours and hours of thinking of this while doing nothing productive. It's a waste of time and energy and something that one would not expect from somebody who is SUPPOSED to have better things to do (I know the person and as such know this is true). It's not the fact that he picked sailboats, it's the fact that he had nothing better to do but stew on it. 

Now by "fitting my description" I was referring to those which have absolutely no meaning and are thought of with the SPECIFIC PURPOSE of sounding dumb. It's not funny, just stupid. I'm not contradicting myself. Bears has stated that it's a joke from one of his friends...that's exactly what my gamertag is, a joke (not lostaddict that's just my email address). It has meaning and I didn't pick it so I could laugh like a jackass over XBL. Read closer, things might make more sense next time. Ask a friend cause I would truly prefer to not have to consistently correct people who have not paid adequate attention.
ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By ep_driver

I like everything you have to say, except for your pointless 'Sailboat' gamertag thing. Go ahead and edit that out, it only hurts the credibility of your argument and pulls away the focus from your main point. His gamertag is Sailboats, for fun, I'm assuming. I'm a mature, sociable 22 year old accounting major and my gamertag is "Numbu One Stuna", from an old rap song because of an inside joke between my old roommates and myself. If your friends gamertag was "fuckblackpeople" or something ignorant along those lines I could understand its inclusion in your post. Other than that I agree with what you're saying regarding not only the young kids, but anyone who sits on XBL and talks shit while you're just trying to enjoy a round or two of Call of Duty.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bulldog19892

Yes, I am "picking apart every last word said". It's called reading comprehension. So, from what I understand here, you think it's stupid that he spent a bunch of time thinking of his gamertag, not that the gamertag itself is stupid? Why didn't you just say that in the first place? I wouldn't say the name is stupid, I would say it's anticlimactic. I do agree that sitting around for hours thinking of a gamertag seems like a waste of time though.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ltcoljaxson

I don't think Sailboats is that immature. I think it's just someone saying... "Who gives a fuck, I just want to play online - Sailboats... yeah that'll do"

Who cares what their name is.

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ep_driver
lostaddict1993 said:
"Well since you enjoy picking apart every last word said, here goes. MY point about sailboats being stupid is the fact that it takes a person hours and hours of thinking of this while doing nothing productive. It's a waste of time and energy and something that one would not expect from somebody who is SUPPOSED to have better things to do (I know the person and as such know this is true). It's not the fact that he picked sailboats, it's the fact that he had nothing better to do but stew on it. 
Now by "fitting my description" I was referring to those which have absolutely no meaning and are thought of with the SPECIFIC PURPOSE of sounding dumb. It's not funny, just stupid. I'm not contradicting myself. Bears has stated that it's a joke from one of his friends...that's exactly what my gamertag is, a joke (not lostaddict that's just my email address). It has meaning and I didn't pick it so I could laugh like a jackass over XBL. Read closer, things might make more sense next time. Ask a friend cause I would truly prefer to not have to consistently correct people who have not paid adequate attention.
"

Who's to say that your friend sat and thought deeply like Plato or Socrates to come up with his Gamertag like you imply? How do you know he didn't just think Sailboats would be something different and weird and thought to use it as his gamertag within a 2 minute period. If you KNOW he spent hours upon hours to come up with Sailboat as his gamertag then you should edit your original post to include that point as well as edit your post topic to be about people wasting time on creating gamertags. While we're talking about wasting time by creating gamertags I have one final question, what are you doing wasting your time on video game forums? I don't see how that's much more productive than making a gamertag. Ponder that one, Descartes.
lostaddict1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lostaddict1993

I know very well that he spent that time and my point is the unnecessarity of it. He did specifically tell me what a long time he spent on it. Also, by logging into a game related forum once every fifteen minutes or so as I sit at my computer writing my term paper for english, I'm not wasting my time. I'm on here for roughly two minutes each time and it breaks up the tedium of writing. I'm being productive and checking around a fun site which I enjoy at the same time. With him we're talking hours of sitting in one place in his room just deep in thought, just like Plato or Socrates.

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ep_driver

So that should have been your point, not stuffed into your greater topic of people acting and saying immature things on XBL. Also, like I said above, you should have stated that he spent so much time on creating his gamertag in your original post. However, power to you for wasting time on GB while writing a paper, I'm doing the same thing while creating an 8 page study guide in 6 point font for an accounting final. GB keeps us all sane.

Rofflens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rofflens

Personally, I think internet anonymity is a great thing. It gives people the power to say what they want, what they feel, anything like that, without the fear of prosecution. Sure, this can be both negative or positive, but I'd rather look at the positive. On the internet people don't have to conform to society's set standards and just express how they feel, it's wonderful, really.

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ep_driver
Rofflens said:
"Personally, I think internet anonymity is a great thing. It gives people the power to say what they want, what they feel, anything like that, without the fear of prosecution. Sure, this can be both negative or positive, but I'd rather look at the positive. On the internet people don't have to conform to society's set standards and just express how they feel, it's wonderful, really."

word.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By keyhunter

I agree with this theory, as I have been yelling "FUCK YOU" at people on gears of war for several minutes for little to no reason.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By StaticFalconar
lostaddict1993 said:
"StaticFalconar that's exactly what I mean. How people feel like they can do and say whatever they want when they think nobody will find out when these are things that they know they could never get away with in the real world. And if they don't know that there is a much deeper problem."
If that was exactly what you meant, then why the comment about the parents.

Well it don't really matter too much whether the parents are there or not, since once the kids get fired from their first jobs or whatever, they will learn how to behave through life's lessons. They are 10 after all, and have much time to learn.

The real lesson here is don't play with 10 year olds (at least not 10 year olds with headsets.).
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By daniel_beck_90
Bulldog19892 said:
"
"
  that is interesting
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bulldog19892
Rofflens said:
"Personally, I think internet anonymity is a great thing. It gives people the power to say what they want, what they feel, anything like that, without the fear of prosecution. Sure, this can be both negative or positive, but I'd rather look at the positive. On the internet people don't have to conform to society's set standards and just express how they feel, it's wonderful, really."
Amen.
Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sushbag

OP where did you get this idea that these little runts have bad parents? It has nothing to do with the parents, the kids all know their behavior is unacceptable in the real world, that's why they do it.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hexpane

begging people to read a blog post violates internet rule #45

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By dsplayer1010
Bulldog19892 said:
"
"
You beat me to it.
Verge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Verge

I see your point about the name, or gamertag. I used to create a more sensible user name, more connected to who I am and my interests. Unfortunately I found that providing ANY information about myself simply gave people a reason to shout stuff at me. My nationality is still part of my gamertag, and I'll regularly get abuse for it, for no reason. It saddens me that people shout all this stuff, I could never do that, I have a sense of respect for others which is something lost to most people these days. But I pride myself on that, I dont grief, I play well, I dont talk rubbish. I can only hope that karma will sort things out in the long run and that those idiots dont have children.

Its a parents responsibility to raise a child. They created it, its a long term commitment. If they dont think they can spend the time to at least set a parental control on a xbox or check up on what there playing (when possible) then they shouldnt have had the thing in the first place.

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MasturbatingBear
lostaddict1993 said:
"Well since you enjoy picking apart every last word said, here goes. MY point about sailboats being stupid is the fact that it takes a person hours and hours of thinking of this while doing nothing productive. It's a waste of time and energy and something that one would not expect from somebody who is SUPPOSED to have better things to do (I know the person and as such know this is true). It's not the fact that he picked sailboats, it's the fact that he had nothing better to do but stew on it. 
"
you care that someone spent time thinking of a name? who cares? thats his choice, I see no reason to complain about shit that has nothing to do with you, plus whats wrong with the name sailboats? not creative? Also if YOU read, my name isn't bears and its not a joke from one of my friends. I think you got problems reading and your telling him to read closer.
lostaddict1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lostaddict1993

Well I'm just ready to delete the original post, not because I digress, but because of uneducated, uninformed, impudent people such as MasturbatingBear. Could you honestly not have understood what I meant by shortening your name to Bear? You obviously have some deep paranoia problems which you should get checked out. You also most certainly did say you came up with your name from "something ryan said" or some such droll along those lines. Honestly I'm done. Verge, you have captured exactly what I have been saying for days. BEAR if you have the brain power, please go back and read Verge's post as my reading skills are far more than adequate and he has made the most sense of anybody I have seen on this site in quite a while.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#50  Edited By strangeling

whoa, whoa, whoa.
lostaddict, are you saying the x(clanname)xBESTx part is the immature part?  That i could kind of see.  Otherwise, what's the difference between 'sailboat' and your own name?
i don't really have a problem wth names like that, clans all want to be the best.  If you have a problem with it, just play against them and prove they're not the best.