What's the first video game that freaked you out?

• 95 results
wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By wickedsc3

silent hill
zzzleepy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By zzzleepy

System Shock 2 and Clive Barker's Undying, I think.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By X19
@FlamingHobo said:
"

I literally jumped... twice.

"
No game has freaked me out as much as this part in FEAR.  
TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By TheGodPoet

The beginning of Beyond Good and Evil with the first boss fight. It was called the DomZ Petrolomax I think I forget and forgive me for spelling it's been years since I've played the game. Anyway it scared and creeped the ever loving shit out of me. 

That's it in the background. Found this pic while browsing the Giantbomb news articles. It's still creepy as fuck. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@UnsavedHero said:
" As far as mentally disturbing me, Silent Hill 2 was just a big mind F--- for me but, I loved it and wanted to play it over and over. For jump scares, that goes to DOOM 3. People didn't like that the flashlight wasn't attached to a gun, but I think it just added to the "Oh, god! Something is behind me but can't see it while I attempt (poorly) to shoot it." atmosphere. That game was so dark. "
That was pretty much the problem.  Doom 3 came out at a time when games were trying to be a bit more cerebral.  Resorting to having enemies spawn behind you for the "BOO!" factor was a little bit cheap, especially as it made no sense why the guy couldn't have a gun and the torch at the same time.

Games like Condemned captured the same kind of atmosphere far better.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By animateria

Diablo 1 with the Hellfire Expansion (by Sierra).

One of the BGMs got really creepy and I had a short panic for no real reason, doesn't help that I like to turn off all the lights at night while playing games.

Fatal Frame 2... Well fuck I still didn't finish the game.

Played the first FEAR like that too... Only played it around 11 PM till 2 AM (That's how I roll with horror games). Shit freaked me out a couple times.

I like to watch other people play Horror games to be honest. I like em, but I just don't do well playing them.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By rentfn

The dogs through the window in Resident Evil

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@RiotBananas said:
" Tomb Raider used to shit me up. "
TR was the game I was thinking of too.  It was the first Playstation game I played, and that was quite a huge leap coming from the Super Nitnendo.  The game had great atmosphere, you'd be exploring around a lot of the areas just with ambient effects playing, and when those raptors jumped out on you..

The cougars from Red Dead Redemption have nothing on those raptors.  The T-rex was pretty damn scary as well, mainly because it was an optional fight, your first instinct was always to run and hide.  Unfortunately, they really ruined this by turning it into a QTE arena fight in the remake :(
mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By mrfizzy

Aside from the fact that i was scared of Wolfenstein 3D when i was really young (like 3-4) id have to say it was FEAR. There is also one particular level in Thief: Deadly Shadows that was more or less made to mess you up, but im fair sure FEAR was around first.

McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By McSmunions

James Bond Jr. on the SNES. on the very first level you can skip the ending cinematic and go onto this weird glitchy fall through time and space. i thought i was a genius haha. can't embed this video (firefox problem?) but here's the link.

Avatar image for zachtothefuture
zachtothefuture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By zachtothefuture

metroid prime, the first chozo ghost freaked me out big time

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By habster3
@AjayRaz said:
"the game over screen on Spyro 2   "
Don't remind me of that! 

As for a serious answer, I would say Resident Evil 4 (All of it).
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@tiwi said:
" MYST   paranoia.... <.< >.> <.> "
This^^ God damn, the atmosphere of that game, the creepy music, ah sweet nostalgia. 
iSylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By iSylence

Probably Banjo-Kazooie when you went save and quit and you got that cut scene where Grunty activates her machine and steals Tooty's good looks and makes her ugly. I was 10, probably too old to be freaked out by something like that, but that was the age that I was also convinced that aliens were coming to kill us all (thanks to my teacher making us study the War of the Worlds).

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#65  Edited By Cube

The god damn Alert sound in MGS always made me scared to get caught. 

AND THOSE DOGS in Resident Evil (can't remember which one it was, I was really young). You know, I think they jumped through the windows?

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#66  Edited By gingertastic_10

The "zombies" in Ocarina of Time. I would close my eyes and ears when they came up when others played it. D: 

I turned the volume all the way off when I would play it.

goth_bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By goth_bacon
@Cube said:
" The god damn Alert sound in MGS always made me scared to get caught.  AND THOSE DOGS in Resident Evil (can't remember which one it was, I was really young). You know, I think they jumped through the windows? "
I feel the same way.  It wasn't a scary game or anything, but the alert sounds always made me jump.  I remember sometimes immediately turning off my PS2 whenever I got caught.
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Osaladin

Amnesia: The Dark Descent. In all other games, you fight against the monsters, and they rely on sudden scares. Amnesia is the first game where I was afraid to move forward, and that was just the demo, and after I saw a playthrough of it. Props to Frictional Games.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Return to Zork. I'd never seen video-captured actors in a game before, and it still creeps me out just thinking about it. 

Also, I can't remember if this came out after or before Zork, but Alone in the Dark was probably the first game to truly frighten me. 

Avatar image for deactivated-63efc336e9a4d
deactivated-63efc336e9a4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil 4. Those black things with the huge ass teeth..who walked hella slow...god that scared me..the breathing

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#71  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

When I was 8 or 9? the hallway scene in MGS with Gray Fox freaked me out.  Now that I am older barely anything creeps me out, except for Dead Space.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Detrian

The original Doom because back then I knew nothing like it and was used to playing super happy fun time nintendo games.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#73  Edited By CharleyTony

I still haven't played more than 30 minutes of Dead Space !
Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75  Edited By Snipzor

I don't know why, but the early Final Fantasy battle cues (The quick zoom in with that screeching sound) bothered the hell out of me. Yet I don't know why. 

It was Final Fantasy 6 actually, I was 5 years old when I played it first, and it caught me off guard. I was 5 years old and stupid! Give me a break!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By NTM

I think it was when I was little and I was watching my brothers play RE2. The part when the licker jumps past the window scared me. That has to be the earliest memory of me being scared of a game... I think.
Kindrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#77  Edited By Kindrik

The first time coming to future Castle Town in Ocarina of Time really got to me. It was a perfect storm, going from bright colors, cheery music, and lots of people and activity, to browns backed with eerie music, and slow shuffling zombies.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#78  Edited By Jeust

Resident Evil 2! What a freaky game.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By TheGreatGuero

The earliest one I remember was Jaws on the NES. I'm still ridiculously afraid of sharks in video games.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By EmuLeader

The Game Over witch scene in Banjo Kazooie.  first time i had seen something like that.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By iam3green

resident evil 2, it was pretty creepy i thought. the windows breaking i wasn't expecting that and it scared me. 

another game was fear 1. the girl would just come out of no where.

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By zidane_24

I played Ocarina of Time when I was pretty young. The Wallmasters in the Forest Temple really terrified me for some reason. I was almost too worried to finish the game. 

Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Kovie

Do you know what freaked out me?  The original Metal Gear Solid's sickly dark-blue and green colour palette and it's fluctuating, pixilated PlayStation graphics.  It was really unnerving when I was younger.

But now, for some indeterminate reason, I'm not usually scared by games.  Although it has been awhile since I've played a proper horror game.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#84  Edited By aurahack
Fatal Frame.

Just finished playing Amnesia for my first time, though. I won't be able to sleep tonight. ._.
Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Noodlearms
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" The atmosphere of the original Diablo really unnerved me as a kid. That was, what, '97? I was nine. That shit was fucking overwhelming.  

Ah. Fresh meat. "
This. I used to always watch my older brother play it and when I tried I'd freak the fuck out when I got to The Butcher.
JoMu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By JoMu

First arcade game that freaked me out was Altered Beast. 
First console game was Drakkhen on SNES.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Noodlearms said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok said:
" The atmosphere of the original Diablo really unnerved me as a kid. That was, what, '97? I was nine. That shit was fucking overwhelming.  

Ah. Fresh meat. "
This. I used to always watch my older brother play it and when I tried I'd freak the fuck out when I got to The Butcher. "
The sanctity of this place has been fouled
metroidprime56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By metroidprime56

Metroid Prime 2, those aquatic lizard things that ran around on two legs in the Torvus Bog really freaked me out because they always attacked me from behind.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was 12 when RE4 came out, probably 13 or 14 by the time it came out on PS2, which was when I first got to play it. The Regenerators in that game scared me during my first encounter with them. All you hear is the sound of a gurney being knocked over, and then that heavy breathing, until finally the thing looms out into view, and you realize that even if you shoot its legs off they'll just grow back.

Avatar image for captain_awesome
captain_awesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By captain_awesome

Majora's mask, Playing majora's mask after oot as a innocent little boy was just creepy and depressing as hell.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was one game in particular which freaked me out when I was a kid.  

No- correction- it was just the DEMO that freaked me out- we never got the full version...

And its a TURN-BASED STRATEGY GAME... 

What was it?: 

"Mission Force Cyberstorm" 

It's death animations gave me nightmares for years. 

And the screams that accompanied them... Those still get to me on occasion. D:
tricky69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By tricky69

Zombi on the Amiga...
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#93  Edited By Yanngc33

the original Resident Evil back when i didnt know the dog was gonna jump through the window
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Metal Gear Solid during the Psycho Mantis fight. How do you know I likes me some Castlevania ?   I really freaked out when I thought my TV was spazing out because it kept switching over to Hideo mode during the fight. 

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#95  Edited By Chemin

I guess Silent Hill 2 and Condemned are the two games that have freaked me out the most, both in different ways. But, the first game would probably be Doom or maybe The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The ceiling-monsters in the forest temple always makes me nervous to this date and when I was a child, those things were fucking with my psyche, big time. The awesome, but really creepy, background music did not make it any easier to overcome.