Why is all the media going nuts over this swine flu?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TwoOneFive
(UPDATE) It looks as if the media is beginning to cover its ass already. Check out this article where they basically say, okay fine we exaggerated the hell out of this...BUT it may still be deadly o0o00o00o0hhhh LINK

Apparently only like 7 people have actually died from this (
LINK), but whatever the number, 7 or a little 152, it still doesn't make sense to me why the media is going crazy over this. Every year about 63,730 annual deaths for influenza and pneumonia (NVSR Sep 2001); estimated 20,000 deaths from flu (NIAID)(probably much more these days, those number are from around 2001).

i am sorry if this is a dumb question, i don't know a lot about this stuff, except that thousands of people have been dying from flu every year for a long time. 

(UPDATE) Okay, I think Ron Paul pretty much nails it in this new inteverview on ABC: 

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By inkeiren

Because it generates money. Fear is a great money making tool, it keeps people glued to the TV.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

Because there's a slight possibility that it might become a big deal. Just like SARS, West Nile Virus and the Bird Flu.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Vinchenzo

Because that's what the media does.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ahriman22

Because people can't find anything else to feed on. I'm not scared of the Swine Flu (Unless it becomes very bad, in which case I will), for the people that died... They were just unlucky. Oh well.

grainger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By grainger

it happens every 6 months theres some pandemic, here in the uk its started with foot and mouth and there was a huge ammount of news coverasge over that... its dissapeared now

then SARS virus in asia which was going to wipe everyone out

after that birdflu which seems to have completely disappeared now and along comes swine flu, in 6 months we'll all be dead or they'll be another "pandemic" to engulf the news

fact is news companies thrive off fear

oh and 30 years ago we were all meant to be dead now, wiped out by aids.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Gmanall
TooWalrus said:
"Because there's a slight possibility that it might become a big deal. Just like SARS, West Nile Virus and the Bird Flu."
Right they have to have something to talk about, plus if it dose bring around the end of the world they will be there to film it.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Because the press like to increase their money. How do you do that? Either through getting more people to buy it (for newspapers), getting more viewers to see your adverts (for TV/radio/internet/newspaper news). And how do you get people to do that? Simple, you make people think they're all going to die, so they look at the news to find out how to survive.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Commando
159 deaths in Mexico

And 64 reported infected in the US right now.

This flash game right here is why everyone's afraid. Plus the game's fun, I've only infected all the countries once though. You have to start in New Zealand.
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By Hamst3r

The real killer is sloth flu. Slowly but surely it will kill us all. D:

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ParanoidFreak

The media is really fear mongering.

Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Computerplayer1

Most people have said it already. The media is doing it to make some cash, and since SARS and the bird flu are no longer even in people's minds, they needed something else to make people paranoid about for no reason.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Illmatic

Why are we complaining about a report on a disease?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By penguindust

The media is focusing on swine flu because not enough people have been eaten by sharks yet for this year.  Give it time, it will be something else once they get tired of this story.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ahriman22
Illmatic said:
"Why are we complaining about a report on a disease?"
Because one report is enough. Oh god a Disease! There are so many out there I figure people should stop freaking out whenever a mutation appears, happens all the time.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Snipzor
Commando said:
"159 deaths in Mexico

And 64 reported infected in the US right now.

This flash game right here is why everyone's afraid. Plus the game's fun, I've only infected all the countries once though. You have to start in New Zealand.
"
FUCK YOU MADAGASCAR!!!
No Caption Provided
Now that aside. I believe Thunderf00t had an excellent video on the Swine Flu (Possible pandemic). You can find it, RIGHT HERE.

It is well worth the watch.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Illmatic

I'd honestly have over reporting rather than no reporting at all. I saw one report on the flu, told myself that was enough, and proceeded to ignore all other reports.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TwoOneFive
ahriman22 said:
"Illmatic said:
"Why are we complaining about a report on a disease?"
Because one report is enough. Oh god a Disease! There are so many out there I figure people should stop freaking out whenever a mutation appears, happens all the time."
yea, if the media had any dignity, they'd give this much attention every day to the leading causes of death every year like cancer and heart disease. but no, they'd rather go bonkers over the "new and interesting sounding SWINE flu"
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ignor

I just wonder when donkeys will be tagged. Ass flu... Has a nice ring to it, dont you think?

Sorry... sorry...

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By super_machine

If it was the zombie virus I could understand.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#21  Edited By AgentJ

There is an element of Media overreaction, but we never really know when a disease is going to really take off. Look at polio and what that did to an entire generation. Add that to strains of different viruses and diseases that are becoming resistant to drugs and there is certainly reason for worry, especially when it started just on the other side of our border. By the way, the first american to die from this was a 22-year old today.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By CL60

It isn't really that much worse than the common flu....

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By JJOR64

Because Swing Flu is the new Aids.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead

I could do with getting a vaccine of Will Smith's blood just in case he's the only one immune again.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CL60
HandsomeDead said:
"I could do with getting a vaccine of Will Smith's blood just in case he's the only one immune again."
Good idea.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#26  Edited By AgentJ
CL60 said:
"It isn't really that much worse than the common flu...."
the effects arent much worse than the common flu for some people, but as can be seen by the 100+ deaths in Mexico, its not the same for everyone. 
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crunchUK
grainger said:
"it happens every 6 months theres some pandemic, here in the uk its started with foot and mouth and there was a huge ammount of news coverasge over that... its dissapeared nowthen SARS virus in asia which was going to wipe everyone outafter that birdflu which seems to have completely disappeared now and along comes swine flu, in 6 months we'll all be dead or they'll be another "pandemic" to engulf the newsfact is news companies thrive off fearoh and 30 years ago we were all meant to be dead now, wiped out by aids."
IF the bird flu had mutated to spread from human to human hundreds of millions of people would have died. And that was why there was such a scare over it.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By dethfish

Because we are all going to fucking die!

Duh

ZettaSlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ZettaSlow
Dethfish77 said:
"

Because we are all going to fucking die!

Duh

"

http://doihaveswineflu.org/

OH GOD!
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#31  Edited By the8bitNacho
inkeiren said:
"Because it generates money. Fear is a great money making tool, it keeps people glued to the TV."

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Because we are not far away from experiencing a level 6 pandemic and therefor people need to be extremely cautious by avoiding unnecessary trips , taking anti-viral medicine and washing hands quite frequently .  

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TwoOneFive
daniel_beck_90 said:
"

Because we are not far away from experiencing a level 6 pandemic and therefor people need to be extremely cautious by avoiding unnecessary trips , taking anti-viral medicine and washing hands quite frequently .  

"
yeah okay, how about i go a live the rest of my life in a fucking bubble while im at it. 
but seriously i never take unnecessary trips and i always wash my hands, and i have anti viral medince in my medicine cabinet, i guess that makes me immune huh?!

fuck this i am not worried about it at all. i get it o well, i die o well. but i didn't do anything about the last dozen or so world threatening diseases, so i aint changin anything now. 
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By artofwar420

Why is the media going nuts? Ad revenue, haven't you heard, most of the news channels pretty much exist for that reason only, to make money. Oh you thought it was to give you news? Nah. So this crazy new story scares people and makes them watch more, which in turn gives them more ratings then more money from ad buyers, who notice this and buy more ads or more expensive ads (during prime time).

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By daniel_beck_90
TwoOneFive said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:
"

"
yeah okay, how about i go a live the rest of my life in a fucking bubble while im at it. 
but seriously i never take unnecessary trips and i always wash my hands, and i have anti viral medince in my medicine cabinet, i guess that makes me immune huh?!

fuck this i am not worried about it at all. i get it o well, i die o well. but i didn't do anything about the last dozen or so world threatening diseases, so i aint changin anything now. 
"
  Remember that media targets the general population and the news goes live for the whole country and not just Mr. TwoOneFive  ;)  so the fact that you do not care much about your health does not imply that precaution is unnecessary . Taking anti-viral or avoiding trivial trips does not make anyone immune but it helps us to prevent catching it .

Washing hands frequently [ at least twice an hour ] is the most important factor in prevention process by the way . 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TwoOneFive
daniel_beck_90 said:
"TwoOneFive said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:
"

"

"
  Remember that media targets the general population and the news goes live for the whole country and not just Mr. TwoOneFive  ;)  so the fact that you do not care much about your health does not imply that precaution is unnecessary . Taking anti-viral or avoiding trivial trips does not make anyone immune but it helps us to prevent catching it .

Washing hands frequently [ at least twice an hour ] is the most important factor in prevention process by the way . 

"
whatever dude, like i said thousands upon thousands die from the flu each year. just not the friggin swine flu. its mass hysteria. relax dude, i hope your not wearing a latex suit right now. 
justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By justinnotjason

Quick Everyone forget about the Economy in the shitter and Obama increasing the troops in Afghanistan, the swine flu killed 7 people, it's a PANDEMIC!!!!!!!!!!11111

Anytime one thing takes over the entire public eye it's because there's something else going on. And since when is 7 people a pandemic, in the 70's the flu killed 700k+ people. That was a pandemic, but 7 people, come on.

This is all Crazy. When the death toll reaches 10,000+ then I'll pay more attention.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By halberdierv2

I think you people better go and get some experience dealing with stuff like pandemics and its potential before you make a bunch of idiotic comments. in my opinion it is something to keep a lookout for, considering this ain't some flu you can take 2 panadol and get better. to be blunt, there is no vaccine or  for it, so you have to fight it off with your own immune system. a lot of you people inky see the american side of the reporting, but elsewhere, this is something to make thought of. this thing killed off ~160 in only a week. that is a lot. and the fact that this thing has reached as far as New Zealand already, i wouldnt dismiss this as just the sniffles.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

AgentJ said:
"CL60 said:
"It isn't really that much worse than the common flu...."
the effects arent much worse than the common flu for some people, but as can be seen by the 100+ deaths in Mexico, its not the same for everyone. 
"
Their heightened death toll probably has something to do with their health care system being close to inoperable. Don't forget that, ostensibly, Mexico can be considered a third-world country.
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PercyChuggs

Are you familiar with May Sweeps?

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Ratings.

I love how they keep saying that the swine flu can be the "Next Black Death" (I'm not kidding) and that it has "Horrible Symptoms."
The symptoms of swine flu include... Cough, fever, lack of appetite, runny nose, and fatigue. OH FUCK SHIT NOT THE SNIFFLES I'M FUCKED BETTER WRITE MY WILL

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By Red

'Cause crappy news stations like to drain every last drop out of a decent enough story?

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Optiow

I dunno why...

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
inkeiren said:
"Because it generates money. Fear is a great money making tool, it keeps people glued to the TV."

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By get2sammyb

I already feel like it's starting to die down.

The BBC took a wild attempt today (given I assume there was no new news on the subject) -- interviewing a couple who have the disease and running with the headline "We Thought We Were Going To Die".

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TwoOneFive
Halberdierv2 said:
"I think you people better go and get some experience dealing with stuff like pandemics and its potential before you make a bunch of idiotic comments. in my opinion it is something to keep a lookout for, considering this ain't some flu you can take 2 panadol and get better. to be blunt, there is no vaccine or  for it, so you have to fight it off with your own immune system. a lot of you people inky see the american side of the reporting, but elsewhere, this is something to make thought of. this thing killed off ~160 in only a week. that is a lot. and the fact that this thing has reached as far as New Zealand already, i wouldnt dismiss this as just the sniffles."
thats bullshit. the WHO says under 10 people have been killed by it. and those people probably had shitty immune systems due to other health problems. 
xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By xxNBxx

There is a reason for concern.  Maybe not for first world countrys that are clean and have quick care, but for countries like India, China, Mexico this can be devastating.  If you don't believe my words how about numbers.  6% fatality rate.  you may say thats nothing but if a countries like India (1,147,995,904 population) has an out break you could be looking at 68,879,754 dead.  That is a lot dead in a short amount of time. If it hit India it would most likely hit China with a 1,330,044,544 population.  (you do the math there)

So as we speak Mexico city (pop 8,836,045) has the biggest outbreak of swine flu, if they do not get it under control there the death toll could be 530,162 in a few months span.  Thats a HUGE number of dead in such a short time.  I don't think I have to go into the logistics of how they would have to dispose of all those bodies.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TwoOneFive
xxNBxx said:
"

There is a reason for concern.  Maybe not for first world countrys that are clean and have quick care, but for countries like India, China, Mexico this can be devastating.  If you don't believe my words how about numbers.  6% fatality rate.  you may say thats nothing but if a countries like India (1,147,995,904 population) has an out break you could be looking at 68,879,754 dead.  That is a lot dead in a short amount of time. If it hit India it would most likely hit China with a 1,330,044,544 population.  (you do the math there)

So as we speak Mexico city (pop 8,836,045) has the biggest outbreak of swine flu, if they do not get it under control there the death toll could be 530,162 in a few months span.  Thats a HUGE number of dead in such a short time.  I don't think I have to go into the logistics of how they would have to dispose of all those bodies.

"
dude, 3rd world countries have always had severe health problems. And you can sit here and show off all of your big numbers, but the fact remains, this flu has only killed a few dozen people. Good job trying to hype it up just like the media does.