Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187
/start blog

Let's have a little chat, shall we?

I hate this picture, but it will become iconic.
First, I would like to point out that I fucking hate Heath Ledger.  The dood did not make any good movies other than The Dark Knight while he was alive.  While I'll still sit back and chill with my mom while she watches A Knight's Tale for the 100,000th time in 1 week (because fuck you, Mark Addy is the shit...and so is my mom), it doesn't mean I think the flick is good.

Second, there's been a lot of hate for The Dark Knight, and specifically focusing in on Heath Ledger's performance in the film.  Look, straight up:  I'm a Harvey Dent fan myself.  I can relate with the character as well as with Two-Face...on some odd fucking level that I can't even begin to describe.  Therefore, I was far more excited about the fact that Aaron Eckhart (whom I love in just about everything he does, and YES, that includes The Core, Paycheck, AND No Reservations) was playing a character that I loved.  Moreover, it was based on the Loeb/Sale version of Harvey Dent, which made it even better!!!

Meanwhile, Ledger's death came around and overshadowed the whole movie.  The fact that the film is a giant ball of doom and gloom notwithstanding, his death set the tone for this flick.  We can all be honest:  the movie wouldn't be NEARLY as big as it was/is without Ledger dying.  Whether I think he offed himself or not is my own opinion, but for this article/blog/rant, we'll consider him as just being dead, six feet under, end of story.

Now we come to the Golden Globes, and Ledger wins for Supporting Actor.  This is huge, people.  In the last 8 years, the Golden Globes and Academy Awards have only been different twice for Supporting Actor.  Therefore, it goes without saying that he's a shoe-in, and anyone else getting it would be a MASSIVE upset...for a dead dood.  However, I think in order to understand the importance of this performance and award being given, we have to analyze the movie itself...so...

It's tough to argue with an amazing scene like this.
Look, The Dark Knight falls into two categories for people (and I explained this to my boss, who didn't really enjoy the movie at all):
  • Mainstream audiences that don't understand why the movie had to be 2h30m+ in length
  • Comic book fans that would've been pissed if it was any shorter

When you take into account that the movie was able to impress both crowds, that's when you realize you've got a masterful performance on your hands and something that will stand the test of time...and trust me, Ledger's Joker will do that.  There's a lot of people that think of The Joker as being this laugh-a-minute one-liner hand-buzzer cocksmoker that Nicholson played, but most of those people...they've never read the comics.  They don't know just how fucking sadistic The Joker can be.  They've never read the Loeb/Sale stuff.  They've never read The Killing Joke.  They don't know how he tortured Jim Gordon by paralyzing his daughter in front of him.  Those people...they see Batman as being nothing more than just another movie franchise.  Hell, most of them probably wouldn't even know it was a comic book if it weren't for the popular media constantly ballyhooing it as being based on a comic!!!

Maybe you don't fall into that category.  Maybe you know your comic book shit.  If so, cool beans.  Nonetheless, trying to sit back and denounce what is essentially The Godfather of comic book-based films is just petty.  Besides, what would you rather watch?

Daredevil?
Spawn?
Elektra?
Ghost Rider?
Fantastic Four?
Howard The Duck?
Barb Wire?
Timecop?
Steel?
Bulletproof Monk?
Catwoman?
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?
Sabrina The Teenage Witch?

An overshadowed and underwritten performance
Trust me, the list of BAD comic book movies is long, so in comparison...I'd say the fact that The Dark Knight is held among high between both the mainstream crowd AND the comic book crowd is a pretty good fucking indicator that someone is doing something right.  Moreover, when someone (even post-humously) wins a Golden Globe for their performance in it and it considered a shoe-in for the Oscar as well...then it goes without saying that someone is ALSO making quality films.

Offering some credibility to the genre of comic book-based films is something that we desperately need.  There's tons of hype about Watchmen right now.  Everyone is so fucking stoked about that movie.  However, when it finally gets released and everyone gets to see it, is there going to be a huge backlash against Billy Crudup for being Dr. Manhattan?  What about Patrick Wilson as Nite Owl?  Jeffrey Dean Morgan as The Comedian?  Will people flip out against it?  It happened to 300.  Everyone seemed to think that movie was the epitomy of badass, and then a couple of months later, BAM!  People that previously adored the film somehow decided that it was below.

I understand the need for elitism.  I'm an elitist myself.  That doesn't mean, however, that I'm going to be one of the people who discounts this movie or Ledger's performance because of the running time, his death, the character, or whatever cockamamey excuse I can come up with.

Simply put, if you don't like the movie, then that's your thing.  However, don't disrespect something that is pushing the genre forward.  If you'd like, we can always go back to the way my previous list reads...

/end rant
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187
/start blog

Let's have a little chat, shall we?

First, I would like to point out that I fucking hate Heath Ledger.  The dood did not make any good movies other than The Dark Knight while he was alive.  While I'll still sit back and chill with my mom while she watches A Knight's Tale for the 100,000th time in 1 week (because fuck you, Mark Addy is the shit...and so is my mom), it doesn't mean I think the flick is good.

Second, there's been a lot of hate for The Dark Knight, and specifically focusing in on Heath Ledger's performance in the film.  Look, straight up:  I'm a Harvey Dent fan myself.  I can relate with the character as well as with Two-Face...on some odd fucking level that I can't even begin to describe.  Therefore, I was far more excited about the fact that Aaron Eckhart (whom I love in just about everything he does, and YES, that includes The Core, Paycheck, AND No Reservations) was playing a character that I loved.  Moreover, it was based on the Loeb/Sale version of Harvey Dent, which made it even better!!!

Meanwhile, Ledger's death came around and overshadowed the whole movie.  The fact that the film is a giant ball of doom and gloom notwithstanding, his death set the tone for this flick.  We can all be honest:  the movie wouldn't be NEARLY as big as it was/is without Ledger dying.  Whether I think he offed himself or not is my own opinion, but for this article/blog/rant, we'll consider him as just being dead, six feet under, end of story.

Now we come to the Golden Globes, and Ledger wins for Supporting Actor.  This is huge, people.  In the last 8 years, the Golden Globes and Academy Awards have only been different twice for Supporting Actor.  Therefore, it goes without saying that he's a shoe-in, and anyone else getting it would be a MASSIVE upset...for a dead dood.  However, I think in order to understand the importance of this performance and award being given, we have to analyze the movie itself...so...

Look, The Dark Knight falls into two categories for people (and I explained this to my boss, who didn't really enjoy the movie at all):
  • Mainstream audiences that don't understand why the movie had to be 2h30m+ in length
  • Comic book fans that would've been pissed if it was any shorter

When you take into account that the movie was able to impress both crowds, that's when you realize you've got a masterful performance on your hands and something that will stand the test of time...and trust me, Ledger's Joker will do that.  There's a lot of people that think of The Joker as being this laugh-a-minute one-liner hand-buzzer cocksmoker that Nicholson played, but most of those people...they've never read the comics.  They don't know just how fucking sadistic The Joker can be.  They've never read the Loeb/Sale stuff.  They've never read The Killing Joke.  They don't know how he tortured Jim Gordon by paralyzing his daughter in front of him.  Those people...they see Batman as being nothing more than just another movie franchise.  Hell, most of them probably wouldn't even know it was a comic book if it weren't for the popular media constantly ballyhooing it as being based on a comic!!!

Maybe you don't fall into that category.  Maybe you know your comic book shit.  If so, cool beans.  Nonetheless, trying to sit back and denounce what is essentially The Godfather of comic book-based films is just petty.  Besides, what would you rather watch?

Daredevil?
Spawn?
Elektra?
Ghost Rider?
Fantastic Four?
Howard The Duck?
Barb Wire?
Timecop?
Steel?
Bulletproof Monk?
Catwoman?
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?
Sabrina The Teenage Witch?

Trust me, the list of BAD comic book movies is long, so in comparison...I'd say the fact that The Dark Knight is held among high between both the mainstream crowd AND the comic book crowd is a pretty good fucking indicator that someone is doing something right.  Moreover, when someone (even post-humously) wins a Golden Globe for their performance in it and it considered a shoe-in for the Oscar as well...then it goes without saying that someone is ALSO making quality films.

Offering some credibility to the genre of comic book-based films is something that we desperately need.  There's tons of hype about Watchmen right now.  Everyone is so fucking stoked about that movie.  However, when it finally gets released and everyone gets to see it, is there going to be a huge backlash against Billy Crudup for being Dr. Manhattan?  What about Patrick Wilson as Nite Owl?  Jeffrey Dean Morgan as The Comedian?  Will people flip out against it?  It happened to 300.  Everyone seemed to think that movie was the epitomy of badass, and then a couple of months later, BAM!  People that previously adored the film somehow decided that it was below.

I understand the need for elitism.  I'm an elitist myself.  That doesn't mean, however, that I'm going to be one of the people who discounts this movie or Ledger's performance because of the running time, his death, the character, or whatever cockamamey excuse I can come up with.

Simply put, if you don't like the movie, then that's your thing.  However, don't disrespect something that is pushing the genre forward.  If you'd like, we can always go back to the way my previous list reads...

/end rant
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Gunner

I think heath ledger did a fantastic job but what put me off was Christian Bale's voice when he was in the batman costume. I can understand why he would need to alter his voice but why make him sound like an old grizzled heavy smoker? It doesn't make him seem any more bad ass and it just takes me out of the movie every single time he opened his mouth.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By c1337us

After all that I just want to say that I pretty much agree with you on Heath Ledger. I didnt like his movies for the most part other then his portrayal of the Joker. It showed he could have done a lot more with his career and he deserves any award he gets for that performance. But dude I have to give him credit for Two Hands, that movie was kinda awesome.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By KamasamaK
Gunner said:
"I think heath ledger did a fantastic job but what put me off was Christian Bale's voice when he was in the batman costume. I can understand why he would need to alter his voice but why make him sound like an old grizzled heavy smoker? It doesn't make him seem any more bad ass and it just takes me out of the movie every single time he opened his mouth."
Dunno about "bad ass", but it's supposed to make him more intimidating.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Gizmo

I agree with this blog.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187
Kamasama said:
"Gunner said:
"I think heath ledger did a fantastic job but what put me off was Christian Bale's voice when he was in the batman costume. I can understand why he would need to alter his voice but why make him sound like an old grizzled heavy smoker? It doesn't make him seem any more bad ass and it just takes me out of the movie every single time he opened his mouth."
Dunno about "bad ass", but it's supposed to make him more intimidating."
Man, I didn't say ANYTHING about Bale's gruffle voice in the flick, did I?  LOL  I was just so pissed off from all the hate that TDK gets that I just let my fingers flow and then proof-read it afterwards, LOL.

Look, I'm not a huge fan of Bale's grumbly-bear voice when he's Batman, but at the same time, he did a GREAT job of actually disguising his voice compared to Bruce Wayne's.  Far better than that of any previous Batman actors.  Also, if you go back into the comics, it clearly says that Batman's got a grittier and deeper voice...and that's going back to the original days.  Therefore, it's not like they are doing anything very different from what the comics offered as information.

Therefore, I'm okay with Bale doing that at the end of the day.  Where I think he needs to gain in the role is by offering a much better look at the duality of Batman.  What I mean by that is this:  Batman Begins and The Dark Knight feature an excellent Batman and an excellent Bruce Wayne, but I always feel like it's two separate things.  There is a point in the Batman comics, around the late '70s and early '80s material, where there is a strong melting between the two characters.  Bruce Wayne makes decisions that Batman would make, and Batman makes decisions that Bruce Wayne would make...basically.  I don't see enough of that, because THAT is when things get really interesting.  It was already amazing to me how they painted Batman out in TDK as being a fascist (and that's not necessarily a bad term or word...as fascism is not ALWAYS a bad thing).  The fact that they would push that far in a movie in this genre really shows the confidence they have in the actors, directors, crew, and everyone involved.

Despite that, I just really want Christian Bale to start bringing that melting of the duality...to show the insanity that is Batman.  It's not like Bruce and/or Batman are right in the head, ya know?  He's just as crazy as the criminals he faces.  The difference is that the Batman mythos has always been pretty good about defining very clearly the difference between right and wrong.

Then again...who is to say what is right and what is wrong *cough*WATCHMEN*cough*?
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gizmo

Meh, everyone has a weird opinion, for example, I would regard myself as a pretty knowledgable horror fan, I watched Halloween(1978) for the first time the other night, and it wasn't too great, I couldn't see why it has this pedestol of being one of the best horror films ever. All down to opinion.

KiddSushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By KiddSushi

Anything as hugely popular as The Dark Knight is going to get a lot of hate and backlash. That's just the nature of pop culture.

Also, I disagree that The Dark Knight was his only good movie. He was in Brokeback Mountain and I'm Not There.

jimbojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jimbojones

I didn't think he was special in anyway. I've seen much better performances in better movies. It's because he died that everyone is going crazy about this movie and his acting

Duke_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Duke_Lion

I have heard nothing but good things about the film.

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sushbag

Hey Jakob, I've never heard of anyone not at least liking that movie, and I've never heard anyone not loving Ledger's amazing transformation and performance. Also you're a comic book  nerd apparently and you think Megadeth is as good as Metallica, so good day sir.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
KiddSushi said:
"Anything as hugely popular as The Dark Knight is going to get a lot of hate and backlash. That's just the nature of pop culture.

Also, I disagree that The Dark Knight was his only good movie. He was in Brokeback Mountain and I'm Not There."
Brokeback Mountain was a bad and selfish movie.  Yes, the movie was about gay cowboys.  Whatever.  I don't give a shit about that.  Larry McMurty wrote the script, and that motherfucker made LONESOME FUCKING DOVE!!!  Now THAT was a great book...and movie.  The fact that he couldn't even work their relationship well in that movie just pissed me off, and moreover, the central characters ended up being nothing but selfish, arrogant pricks.  Sure, Jake was a little less selfish...but in the end, they treated their wives like absolute SHIT because they couldn't stop buttfuckin' each other.  These are two guys that are supposed to be in some form of sentimentality, but these women they've been with...it's just like "well, fuck you, I'ma go fuck him now"?  Really?  So no...fuck that movie...and everyone who rode their horses in on it.
I'm Not There was an okay flick, but Ledger's was definitely the weak link in that flick.  Blanchett was what made that flick.  =  /

But, opinions are opinions.

jimbojones said:
"I didn't think he was special in anyway. I've seen much better performances in better movies. It's because he died that everyone is going crazy about this movie and his acting"
See, there it is.  Yes, there are better performances in better movies...BUT WHAT PERFORMANCES AND WHAT MOVIES?!  Everyone can say this unti they are blue in the face, but what do you mean by it?  You comparing it to Godfather Part II, because that movie is perfect and NOTHING can stand up against it.  One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest?  Big?  I mean, come on, man.  Be specific.  

And yes, we know that the reason people are going crazy about the flick and his performance is because he died.  You know what?  If he was still alive, PEOPLE WOULD STILL BE GOING CRAZY OVER HIS PERFORMANCE!!!  It's not like his performance CHANGED because he died.  It's the same performance he gave when he was alive.  You have to stop mixing the hype of his death with the performance he gave while he was alive and delivering it.  I, personally, would still the same thing now about his performance if he were alive.  "Motherfucker hasn't made a single worthwhile film besides The Dark Knight, and he knocked it out of the ballpark.  Hope his next movie doesn't suck, but it probably will."  Those would've been guaranteed words out of my mouth.  

Therefore, it would just have to come down to the fact that you personally don't like the film or his performance or Batman or whatever, and that's cool.  I'm just trying to understand why people need to spit the venom on the performance when...past comic book films...this happens to be a groundbreaking thing.  That's all.  Can you explain that?  Moreover, can anyone honestly name more than five worthwhile supporting actor roles in 2008 that weren't Tropic Thunder or The Dark Knight?

BTW, just wanna throw this in there...I would LOVE to see Downey Jr. get nominated for Tropic Thunder at the Oscars.  I would probably shit a fucking brick!
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gizmo

I think Heaths performance was outstanding, the only other actor I could see coming anywhere near is Nicholson is The Shining. That's another film that has a lot of idiots bashing it because it isn't pin point like the original novel.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
Gizmo said:
"I think Heaths performance was outstanding, the only other actor I could see coming anywhere near is Nicholson is The Shining. That's another film that has a lot of idiots bashing it because it isn't pin point like the original novel."
....then I'm an idiot, I guess.  I'd go into my reasons for hating that movie...but I think I'm already a little long-winded for the night as is.  =  /
KiddSushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KiddSushi

In defense of Brokeback Mountain, it was 1963, Wyoming. They were flawed characters, yes, but they were in a situation that you and I will probably never have to experience. It seems weird that you feel so strongly about the movie based on the actions of the characters in it. The Joker in The Dark Knight murdered people, but you still liked that character and film.

I'm not accusing you of being anti-gay, just wondering why it pisses you off so much that they were running off with each other beind their wives' backs while you embrace The Joker even though he does arguably worst things.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JoelTGM
Kamasama said:
"Gunner said:
Dunno about "bad ass", but it's supposed to make him more intimidating."
Or... he is just keeping up with the whole secret identity thing and masking his normal voice.
jimbojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jimbojones
jakob187 said:

jimbojones said:
"I didn't think he was special in anyway. I've seen much better performances in better movies. It's because he died that everyone is going crazy about this movie and his acting"
See, there it is.  Yes, there are better performances in better movies...BUT WHAT PERFORMANCES AND WHAT MOVIES?!  Everyone can say this unti they are blue in the face, but what do you mean by it?  You comparing it to Godfather Part II, because that movie is perfect and NOTHING can stand up against it.  One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest?  Big?  I mean, come on, man.  Be specific.  

And yes, we know that the reason people are going crazy about the flick and his performance is because he died.  You know what?  If he was still alive, PEOPLE WOULD STILL BE GOING CRAZY OVER HIS PERFORMANCE!!!  It's not like his performance CHANGED because he died.  It's the same performance he gave when he was alive.  You have to stop mixing the hype of his death with the performance he gave while he was alive and delivering it.  I, personally, would still the same thing now about his performance if he were alive.  "Motherfucker hasn't made a single worthwhile film besides The Dark Knight, and he knocked it out of the ballpark.  Hope his next movie doesn't suck, but it probably will."  Those would've been guaranteed words out of my mouth.  

Therefore, it would just have to come down to the fact that you personally don't like the film or his performance or Batman or whatever, and that's cool.  I'm just trying to understand why people need to spit the venom on the performance when...past comic book films...this happens to be a groundbreaking thing.  That's all.  Can you explain that?  Moreover, can anyone honestly name more than five worthwhile supporting actor roles in 2008 that weren't Tropic Thunder or The Dark Knight?

BTW, just wanna throw this in there...I would LOVE to see Downey Jr. get nominated for Tropic Thunder at the Oscars.  I would probably shit a fucking brick!
"
I'm not going to read your wall of text because I'm sure it's retarded. 

Here's one movie I'll list, Shawshank Redemption/Morgan Freeman. There's a lot more but I'm not going to bother
coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By coakroach

When I watched American Psycho I couldn't help but see the similarities between Bale's Patrick Bateman and Ledgers Joker
Especially when he says 'Keep your eyes open!' during his phone confession
Its quite similar in terms of tone and delivery  to when the Joker says 'Why so serious?'

Not saying that its a bad thing, just a bit interesting considering Christian Bales role in the Dark Knight

jimbojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jimbojones

Christian Bale would of been an excellent joker aswell. So would of the guy from fear and loathing

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I was about to mention Brokeback Mountain (no homo, lulz...) but you seem to have already covered that base....
I'm not going to go as far as to say that people who didn't like the film don't know what they're talking about, but let me put this scenario forth. As a 16 year old at an all-boys Catholic School (Again, no homo, lulz....) one of the biggest flicks around the lunchtable was the Dark Knight. Now, I thought it was an amazing film, among my top 10 of all time. My classmates for the most part agreed that it was a great fuckin' movie. The two kids that didn't like it, however, had curious arguments indeed. One of them argued that if Heath Ledger hadn't died that it wouldn't have gotten half of the hype that it got (I will get to Ledger's death in a moment...). The other kid said that anyone could have made that movie, but then again this same kid thought Postal and the Death Race remake were amazing movies.
As for Ledger's death, I hadn't seen a film featuring the actor before, and the Dark Knight remains my only Heath Ledger experience, so I wasn't really effected by the death at all. I was super fucking hyped for the movie because it was fuckin' Batman and the fuckin' Joker, and that the Joker wasn't a fuckin' clown anymore, but a sadistic anarchist. One of the best lines in the film is at the end, when the Joker is hung over Gotham upside down, and he says to Batman: "You thought I'd let the very battle for Gotham's soul rest on a fistfight with you?!". It was at that point when I realized that the entire film had completely defeated every cliche and vice of superhero movies before it.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By RHCPfan24

I agree with what you said, and I loved this movie. I didn't know much about Heath besides "I'm Not There", "A Knight's Tale" and "Brokeback Mountain" before his death, and I only saw the first two (he was excellent in I'm Not There, btw).  He was obviously amazing in this movie and I am glad to see a posthumous award go to him and I hope him the best at the Oscars.   Aaron Eckhart was also excellent, and I was surprised at the quality of his performance.  I have no faults with the movie.  

However, I think there are a few additions to what you said.  A lot of my friends are part of the mainstream viewers who loved every second of it, wanting it to be more. So, I think you might not realize how many people actually love it. With a movie like 300, I really didn't like it from the first time I saw it, even if i loved Sin City.  I don't think The Dark Knight will be a movie that will disappear like that. It has enormous staying power, as you said.   So, basically, I agree with what you said, though you might not realize how many people actually love it to this day.

EDIT - Woo! 1,000 posts! I...don't get anything, do I ?
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Icil
DOUBLESHOCK said:
Or... he is just keeping up with the whole secret identity thing and masking his normal voice."
This is what I thought, too. It makes sense. If it wasn't jarbled to hell, people would figure him out by the voice in an instant.
Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Moeez

Who are these people who are hating on the movie, or Ledger's performance?

BTW, you guys must see this dude's impersonation of Joker's mannerisms. Dude is amazing.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

There are two things I dislike about the whole Dark Knight thing:

1) The movie is too short for what is going on.  It feels rushed, especialy while watching it again

2)  The Dark Knight didn't do so much special in comparison to the 1st one.  I liked it more, but it wasn't that much better.  I feel like this serves as evidence that without ledger's death, the movie would've been swept under the rug like the first one.

Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Steven

You liked the The Core?!?!.......what?!!!?!?! The Core???

Sorry, I couldn't get past that.  It boggles my mind.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Just to warn you all ahead of time... ***SPOILERS BELOW! AHOY!***

Apparently Hedger has a really great performance in Lords of Dogtown. I still haven't seen it, though, but I remember him getting a lot of praise and recognition for it. I thought he was good in The Patriot, which was definitely one of his early roles. I'd like to see more of his other performances and probably will in the future. I thought Heath did a remarkable job as the Joker. He was intense, entertaining, crazy and yet we could understand and perhaps even relate to his logic. I thought he had some unforgettable scenes. I think what impressed me much is how well he stood up against Jack Nicholson's Joker. I greatly admire Jack Nicholson for countless reasons. I think he is indisputably one of the greatest actors of our time, not to mention one of the coolest celebrities around. Sure, his Joker wasn't very accurate, but that is no fault of his own. Still, I'm gonna say Jack had a better laugh. In fact, I think his Joker laugh may be the most hilarious laugh I've heard. It cracks me up everytime. I also think I would have liked to have seen Heath's Joker get a little more silly at times. I mean, c'mon, what The Dark Knight really needed was some more Prince. Oh yeah. On a side note, I don't know how you hate that Joker picture. I think it's one of the greatest promotional pictures ever released. I think it's actually kind of... beautiful... in sort of a demented way, I guess.

Aaron Eckhart is a fine actor. He really got my attention with Erin Brockovich. I also totally wanted to see No Reservations in theaters, probably moreso because Catherine Zeta Jones is a babe, but also because I wanted to see more of what Eckhart could do. Still haven't seen it, though, but whatever. The first time I saw The Dark Knight, I wasn't crazy about Two Face. In fact, I thought he turned pretty fast. I felt like maybe it would have been a little more convincing if Katie Holmes was still playing Rachel. Mainly because, well, I have a total thing for Katie Holmes and think she's ridiculously adorable and I'd probably go nuts too if I lost her in such a sadistic way. That's kind of irrelevant, though. Either way, the Joker's performance stuck with me more, and that's not because Heath is dead. Surely, though, it is undeniable that Heath's death has had a positive impact on the success of the film, but without the Joker being able to return, it definitely hurts later installments in the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, wait.  So my opinion of Ledger's performance isn't wrong.

Gotcha.

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Stealthoneill

When the first cast list was released I had a serious downer on, Heath Ledger had never really covered the sort of stuff I thought I could compate with the Joker. I went in on opening day expecting to see another Nicholson rendition of a lighter, more fun joker. What shocked everyone was the way he had in fact played it.

Now I'll be honest, only comics I have seriously kept up with are X-Men and Superman. The latter being the ones I collect with out fail, so I connected with some of the stuff you mentioned about Joker and other stuff made a little more sense. Back when I read the few Batman comics I could the Joker was never this jovial character that danced around and made everyone laugh. (Ok, he was to a point) But he was far more sadistic and unforgiving than he was ever on screen. But then it could be in part a sign of the changing times. No way would they have played the Joker like this back in '89 because films werent this dark, it would have been taken down a whole different street and classed as something it wasnt meant to be.

Ledger wasnt the typical choice and maybe that was a good thing, it was the shock value you got when going int here and seeing this clean cut actor play something so dark and out of his type cast.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By Kazona

Did The Dark Knight garner more attention and turn out bigger because of Heath's death? Yea I most certainly think so. As great as it was to have Bale return as Bruce/Batman, the big focus always seemed to be on Heath Ledger as the Joker. Then take a look at other movies where the same thing of one of the actor's for a big role dies. The Crow anyone? Of course that didn't turn out nearly as big as The Dark Knight, but it most certainly turned more heads because of Brandon Lee's death. Had he lived, that would not have happened. Would the movie been any less worthy of the praise it got, though? Definitely not. And the same applies to TDK: it got more attention, and turned more heads because of Heath's death, but the praise it got is--in my opinion--completely irrelevant to that event.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By End_Boss
jimbojones said:
I knew this post was from jones before I even finished reading it. You sir, are one of the worst trolls I've ever seen. You've got no subtlety, no tact. Nothing to make anyone believe that you actually think what you're saying is true.

I agree with the poster who said that Ledger had other good films. Brokeback Mountain was good (the Oscar nominations should give it at least some cred) and I had forgotten about I'm Not There, but that was also a great movie.

I agree that it sucks that Ledger's death overshadowed the parts of the other actors, but the only other person I would consider award-worthy there would be Oldman. He completely embodies what I've always thought Gordon should walk, talk and act like. Great stuff.
goldenmnk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By goldenmnk

WAAAIT your saying the this was heaths first good movie?!?!?!?!?!

obviously you never seen Broke back mountain XD

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By LiquidPrince

No you're wrong. Don't tell me my opinion is wrong, just because you don't think the same way as I do. I think Ledgers Joker would have been just as celebrated if he was alive, and in fact his death gives all these people who want to be different for the sake of being different an excuse to say they don't like Joker and that he's only popular because of his untimely demise. His portrayal was great. Up there with Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zitosilva

I'm not completely convinced that winning the golden globe will really change the way people see these movies. The award was given due to the same reason that most of the attention was given to Heath Ledger, because he died. I know, you pointed that out, but I think it extends to the award as in it's just a homage, nothing more. And even if it weren't, these prizes don't mean anything, most people that enjoy cinema don't give a crap about them. In the end it won't take long before people forget about this and return to seeing comic based movies as just "another of those".
I don't even believe the whole fuss around the movie and its subsequent box office success is due to its quality (a very questionable quality at that. Okay, I do admit that I'm one of those that did not enjoy the movie, but come on! From a technical point of view, it's not brilliant). Mostly, it was a junction of many different factor, including Ledger's death, that led to such a success.
I really doubt that, unless if it's another form of homage, that we'll see comic based movies receiving any form of recognition as like the golden globes (which, again, I don't believe mean anything). Like most things that come out with too much of a bang (and I think you mentioned this about Fable 2 and Farcry 2 in another topic) it takes time for people to start seeing what's wrong with it. But it's starting to appear, and it'll eventually be forgotten.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Shadow

Dude whatever.  Heath Ledger made an AMAZING batman villain.  He was crazy, wierd, ingenious, and all the things that make a good enemy for Batman....he just didn't make a good Joker.  I loved his character, but at no point (other than because of the face paint or the purple suit) did it feel like he was the Joker we all know and love.  Here's the thing though:  The Joker was never really a great Batman villain.  I mean seriously, Riddler FTW.  I never liked the episodes/comics/whatever where the Joker was featured.  The Joker had his moments, but is overall pretty lame.  Ledger though....was fantastic.  A more accurate Joker portrayal would have sucked and the way the Dark Knight turned out is fantastic.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bulldog19892

Heath Ledger's performance was amazing. The rest of the movie was amazing as well. I totally agree. While Ledger is not the greatest actor of all time, I still think he deserves an Oscar for his incredible performance, even though he wasn't the only one in top form. A lifetime achievement award? I don't think so.

Rivix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rivix

Who hates The Dark Knight? I haven't heard anything contrary to praise. And the movie would have made just as much if he was dead or alive, its that good. Having actually read most of the Batman comics (doubt you have) his portrayal is perfect for a movie like this.

AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AlwaysCrashing

The reason Dark Knight might get a backlash - or the reason I don't think it's all that - is because at the end of the day, it's just another sophisticated thriller. You could swap Batman out for John McClane and the joker out for a terrorist with a bad german accent and it would be Die Hard 5. The boat thing, the hospital thing (which is pretty similar to a bit in Die Hard with a vengeance), the first 10 mins - it's all typical summer blockbuster schlock.

I'm not a uber comics nerd, but I'd like a Batman film to be a bit darker. I'm sick of seeing Batman as just a tough guy in a rubber suit, and I don't need the joker to be just another metaphor for terrorism.

jimbojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jimbojones
Moeez said:
"Who are these people who are hating on the movie, or Ledger's performance? 
I'm sorry, who hated on it?
jimbojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jimbojones
Kazona said:
"Did The Dark Knight garner more attention and turn out bigger because of Heath's death? Yea I most certainly think so. As great as it was to have Bale return as Bruce/Batman, the big focus always seemed to be on Heath Ledger as the Joker. Then take a look at other movies where the same thing of one of the actor's for a big role dies. The Crow anyone? Of course that didn't turn out nearly as big as The Dark Knight, but it most certainly turned more heads because of Brandon Lee's death. Had he lived, that would not have happened. Would the movie been any less worthy of the praise it got, though? Definitely not. And the same applies to TDK: it got more attention, and turned more heads because of Heath's death, but the praise it got is--in my opinion--completely irrelevant to that event."
The crow would've been excellent as well.

No Caption Provided

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By suneku

Good post, being a huge comic fan with Batman being up there in my top 3, you knocked it right on the head. Not much for me to respond, nor do I feel like responding to the haters, I'll just quote some of your stuff that that I liked. Although I will say, it would've been better if he laughed a bit more. There were certain parts in the movie that I thought would've been a perfect time for his laughter.

They don't know just how fucking sadistic The Joker can be.  They've never read the Loeb/Sale stuff.  They've never read The Killing Joke.  They don't know how he tortured Jim Gordon by paralyzing his daughter in front of him. 
I'd say the fact that The Dark Knight is held among high between both the mainstream crowd AND the comic book crowd is a pretty good fucking indicator that someone is doing something right.
Offering some credibility to the genre of comic book-based films is something that we desperately need.
people who discounts this movie or Ledger's performance because of the running time, his death, the character, or whatever cockamamey excuse I can come up with.
clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By clarke0

I think Ledger was fantastic as the Joker and his part would still be just as amazing had he not died. I think he easily earns the award.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hexpane

Comic book fans would not have been "pissed if it was shorter" that is a failed analysis. 

I am a comic fan and I also thought the movie was way too long and they needlessly ruined the Two Face character w/ bad plot points.    TDK is a great comic book movie.. COMPARED to other comic book movies.  But sadly the general public has fooled itself into thinking "comic book movies are good now" because Iron Man was campy fun and TDK was a good james bond riff.  Xmen 3 was insultingly pointless, Spidey 3 was flat out one of the worst action movies of the past 10 years, Fantastic4 is Sex in the city + CGI, Daredevil,Electra... not even worth talking about... COmic book movies are just as bad as they always have been.  It just so happens we have like 3 or 4 in the past 20 years that were not awful.

The sad fact is they made Batman into James Bond w/ a growl for TDK, and HL's Joker + the Commish are what save the movie from being "didn't I just watch Bourne?"  Sure Batman has had tech and uses it a lot, but this whole bit about Batman spying on the world using sonar was just flat out silly.

jimbojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jimbojones

^^^ I agree with you. These kids think that TDK is the messiah

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I feel like too much was attempted in the movie.  Too much was crammed in.  You can tell the movie was heavily edited so that every last scene is as short as can be while having as much significance as possible.  Every scene is needed.  If the movie contained only one villain instead of two, then it could have been even better than it already is.  I was EXTREMELY disappointed that Two Face was killed off in such a short amount of time.  It would have been better to show Harvey's transformation into Two Face as the end of the movie, setting up a villain for the next movie like the joker card in Batman Begins.  As it is, Two Face was made out to be very little threat and only significant on a political basis.  That character deserved a much bigger role, one with its own movie.  I've got no problem with the length of a movie as long as it tells the story well and tells it the best it can.

Heath did a great job with The Joker though.  Even if he hadn't died, I'm sure quite a few people would have appreciated his performance of a well-envisioned Joker.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jakob187
Hexpane said:
"The sad fact is they made Batman into James Bond w/ a growl for TDK, and HL's Joker + the Commish are what save the movie from being "didn't I just watch Bourne?"  Sure Batman has had tech and uses it a lot, but this whole bit about Batman spying on the world using sonar was just flat out silly."
As compared to...a guy running around...in a bat suit fighting criminals?  I'm sorry, I'm not seeing what your point is about how anything can be considered "flat out silly" about a film involving FICTIONAL COMIC BOOK CHARACTERS...but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.
Anyways, I wanted to say:

1.  It's good to see all this discussion about it, as well as people offering critical and elaborate answers rather than one-liner quips in an attempt to be funny.  Then again, the majority of the negative commentary seems to have little critical answers other than "Heath died"...but whatever.  Still good to see people actually engrossing themselves into an open conversation rather than just posting stupid shit.  Let's keep it that way.

2.  I must've missed the part where Batman became Bond.  Bruce Wayne is a millionaire playboy that can do what he wants with his money, and he decided to offer a vigilante hero that happens to FINALLY be able to turn his head, and hell, he even proves to be smarter than previous Batman iterations.  He may have a slew of gadgets, but the gadgets he does use happen to be pretty damned handy.  I think it's interesting that you chose the sonar thing as being "silly", and yet the skyhook thing onto the plane with Lao wasn't mentioned at all.  Despite that, if you are going into this film expecting it to be full-on reality, then that's just crazy in its own right.  It's a work of fiction that is based on a comic.  Besides, if anything, Bond became Batman...if you look at the most recent movies, at least.  =  /

3.  TDK is not the messiah.  People consider it a damn fine movie, and out of the entire Batman movie canon, it IS the best.  The numbers don't lie, and neither does the critical acclaim (94% on Rotten Tomatoes puts it right alongside The Godfather, sir), the mainstream latched onto it, the comic book fans loved it...so I'm fully aware that the people who didn't like it happen to be a vastly outnumbered minority.  Nonetheless, it goes without saying that the more renown something garners, the more backlash you will see over the years...and we've already seen it now.  Hell, we've already seen it happen with the cultural phenomenon and resurgence of The Nightmare Before Christmas.  When that movie first came out, EVERYONE loved it.  You couldn't find a person that didn't adore it.  Now, thanks to heavy marketing of t-shirts, beanies, action figures, blah blah blah at stores like Hot Topic and such...as well as the attachment of the brand to a style of music that most people frown down upon as a trend...it's safe to say that the backlash for that movie increased over the years.  Why?  Because more people liked it?  I understand the theory of accessibility and increasing fame leading to a negative response, but it's kind of sad when folks have to be THAT elitist about something.  The same thing will happen with The Dark Knight.  People will hate on this movie strictly for one reason:  Heath Ledger's death led to a $503 million domestic box office.  Had he not died, maybe that number would've been smaller.  However, I personally would like to think the movie STILL would've done that much.  Why?  Because it's a strong fucking movie.  It's a well-made movie from source material that had been raped and treated like bullshit before this.

4.  Apparently, Aaron Eckhart had something to say about Two-Face:

jimbojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jimbojones

I actually think Jack Nicholson did a better joker

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jakob187
jimbojones said:
"I actually think Jack Nicholson did a better joker"
So what you mean to say is that you prefer seeing the over-the-top, cheesy Joker?  That is perfectly acceptable.  However, does that mean that Ledger's performance was bad?
jimbojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jimbojones
jakob187 said:
"jimbojones said:
"I actually think Jack Nicholson did a better joker"
So what you mean to say is that you prefer seeing the over-the-top, cheesy Joker?  That is perfectly acceptable.  However, does that mean that Ledger's performance was bad?"
When did I say he did a bad job? Stop putting words in my mouth. You're as bad as the media
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50  Edited By Arkthemaniac

No, YOU'RE WRONG, JAKOB!!!

Ledger was awesome as the Joker, Eckhart was awesome as Two-Face, Bale was awesome as Batman, but the most awesome one of all, the true overshadowing?

MICHAEL CAIN. He plays a chilling Alfred.