Your opinion on deleting other people's work in wikis

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax

So I went to the Terrible Shotgun page and saw that the description I had written had been completely removed by somebody and replaced with what they wanted to write. In your opinion, is it okay for someone to completely remove someone else's work to replace it with your own? Nothing that I wrote was false, either.

Ryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ryu

I can see that being a kick in the balls, it's never easy when something you work hard on is replaced.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Drebin_893

Hmm, if nothing was false and it was well written then, yes, it's out of line.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By gingertastic_10

eh, i wouldnt do that to someone....go back and delete what they said, and replace it with your own....again

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jayge_

If what they write is better, sure. I keep hard copies (data copies, anyway) of every article I majorly edit just in case some douchetard goes and erases my work with something that is actually worse.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

If mine is better then thats fine, or their are problems or plagerism then thats fine too.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By natetodamax
Jayge said:
If what they write is better, sure. I keep hard copies (data copies, anyway) of every article I majorly edit ... [more]
It wasn't exactly 'better'. They took what I wrote, divided it into two sections when it didn't need to be, added a few words in (and, the), changed the damage of the weapon from 80 to 79, and changed my "...making it the most powerful weapon in the Small Guns category" to "...making it one of the most powerful weapons in the small guns section"
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Stang

I agree with Drebin. If you were coherent and accurate, then no, that is not cool. If you want to play dirty, reciprocate the edit.

@Jayge

Nice combination with douchetard!

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Yeah that sucks man.  I don't really know what the answer is.  Maybe make it so preference goes to those with more wiki points?  But then they might have a stranglehold on all the wikis (but maybe they should).  It's a tough question.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShadowKiller

I don't edit a lot but I don't really like deleting anyone's edits because of the work they put into it. As long as I know I haven't read it on Wikipedia before and it's not completely false I'll try and work around it.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

If the original stuff is garbage, then I don't see the problem but like Jayge said, keep a hard copy in case you get erased.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By natetodamax

I will agree that the page looks slightly more polished, but I am disappointed that what I wrote was deleted and basically rewritten by someone else.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mike
natetodamax said:
Jayge said: If what they write is better, sure. I keep hard copies (data copies, anyway) of every article I ... [more]
This is what a Wiki is all about. It's not your article, it's everyone's. The changes you describe sound perfectly reasonable and are certainly nothing to be complaining about. Furthermore, what actually happened is a far cry from what you originally described as your work being "completely removed by somebody."

If you want to write something about a game that no one can change for any reason, do it in a forum post or a review.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_

Well, it's a community site, and it sounds like it was made better to me >.>

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#15  Edited By dsplayer1010

I edited the GTA4 page about the new DLC yesterday, and somebody deleted and rewrote it today. It sucks knowing that the work I did is gone, but I think what it was replaced with was better written. So I guess it's not always bad.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StaticFalconar

Kind of the point of a wiki. If you want sole credit for what you wrote don't post it on a wiki where everybody can change and edit things. That's the reason why I don't even bother with writing wikis anymore since I want my work to last.

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arjuna

I had redplaced someone's description of a game.  Their description was loaded with grammatical errors and wasen't very...  well...  'descriptive'.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#18  Edited By the8bitNacho
MB said:
natetodamax said: Jayge said: If what they write is better, sure. I keep hard copies (data copies, anyway) of every ... [more]
Exactly.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Tireyo

I think that it's dishonest to do such a thing.  If such a person does take someones work, they will be the ones who have to live with it, and the one that got screwed over will just have to deal with it whether they like it or not.  Anything worth fighting for is worthwhile, and if one can prove that someone took their work, nail them!

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, that's pretty weak. If its poorly written and you want to reword it and build on it, I think that's alright. I guess it's kind of a difficult issue. On the few pages I've edited, I just try to add stuff to what is already written and also fix other people's grammar and spelling mistakes.

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JakJ

That's the point of a wiki. If someone feels they can make it better, it is their prerogative to do so.

However, it's polite to keep at least some of the original content in, I think.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

If they are making the article better, then they should totally delete other peoples work. It's a wiki, the whole point of wiki's is that anyone can improve on an article. If they replace other peoples work with inferior writing, then that is wrong.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lord_canti

its annoying to say the least the only  thing ive got left ( excludeing pictures) is a  paragraph on the harley quinn page :P

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#25  Edited By mike
lord_canti said:
its annoying to say the least the only  thing ive got left ( excludeing pictures) is a  paragraph on the ... [more]
Hopefully this doesn't come off as too harsh...but if the grammar and spelling you use when editing Wiki pages is anything like this post, then I'm not surprised people erase it and rewrite everything you do.

Making your articles look professional is important.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lord_canti
@MB:  not too harsh at all :).  but no they arnt i put all wiki posts through word  and spell check/ grammer check on forums i tend to just put stuff down
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_A_Drain

Depends on the accuracy of the data, and the opinion of the mod who ok'ed it.

Honestly, it sounds like your data was wrong, or the new guys is. He can't have replaced it with the same information if one says "80dmg, most powerful" and one says "79dmg, one of the most powerful" theres quite a big divide between the most powerful and one of the most powerful. I'd argue whichever one is more accurate should be the one that takes precedent.

When I edit something though, if someone has accurate information that is written clearly, I try to keep it, although I will clear up any grammatical errors I spot and attempt to make things easier to read. But i'm the first to admit my grammar is hardly the best, so I wouldn't mind too much if someone did it to me.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Drebin_893 said:
Hmm, if nothing was false and it was well written then, yes, it's out of line.

I agree. If shit's wrong then it needs fixin'.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Jeust

@natetodamax

meh get over it...

The point of a wiki is to continuously improve what was written.

Even those little changes improved the content.

So don't take it personal.

skidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By skidd

If an article is kinda bare, I usually try to leave as much of the original content in as possible, as long as it makes the whole thing coherent.
On the other hand, I have deleted nearly entire pages worth of material, purely cus the other editor has straight up copied n pasted info from wikia, leaving in all the links....

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Alexander

Do you keep the points you earn?

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Endogene

Unrelated but a pro tip for users who do not have 1000 points yet: avoid pages that are in the news, most of the times a 1Kplus user will beat you to it and there is nothing else we wiki mods can do then deny your submission when we see it.

Alexander said:
Do you keep the points you earn?
You do yes.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By Hamst3r

This is why you need to write EPIC descriptions. +1000 points!

Dovey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By Dovey

I think it would suck to have so stuffed edited and/or replaced.  I would personally like to see on the page if such content was edited and why? And if possible actually see the content that was originally edited.