Gears of War 2 Flashback Map Pack Now For Sale

Posted by Jeff (3336 posts) -
When reached for comment, Mr. Fenix would only say "oh. Come on."
I spotted on Shacknews this morning that Microsoft has posted the Gears of War 2 Flashback Map Pack up onto the Xbox Live Marketplace for general sale. The collection of five remade Gears 1 maps was originally available via a download code packed into new copies of Gears 2, and the basic assumption was that this would serve as a way to incentivize new purchases of the game and discourage people from buying it used.

The map pack is now available for 400 points, or five dollars' worth of Uncle Sam Bux. There doesn't seem to be any official announcement about the pack's general availability, and the text description of the pack still says that the maps are "available exclusively with an Xbox LIVE redemption code included in new copies of Gears of War 2." So we're not sure if this is an error or not. If you bought a used copy of Gears 2 and want the maps, you might want to get them in a hurry, in case this is some sort of mistake.

Or maybe the split between the haves and the have-nots is causing some of the issues related to matchmaking, and Epic/Microsoft is hoping to unify everyone by allowing them all the ability to get every available map. Either way, if you bought a used copy of Gears 2, there are now five more maps for you to buy.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3336 posts) -
When reached for comment, Mr. Fenix would only say "oh. Come on."
I spotted on Shacknews this morning that Microsoft has posted the Gears of War 2 Flashback Map Pack up onto the Xbox Live Marketplace for general sale. The collection of five remade Gears 1 maps was originally available via a download code packed into new copies of Gears 2, and the basic assumption was that this would serve as a way to incentivize new purchases of the game and discourage people from buying it used.

The map pack is now available for 400 points, or five dollars' worth of Uncle Sam Bux. There doesn't seem to be any official announcement about the pack's general availability, and the text description of the pack still says that the maps are "available exclusively with an Xbox LIVE redemption code included in new copies of Gears of War 2." So we're not sure if this is an error or not. If you bought a used copy of Gears 2 and want the maps, you might want to get them in a hurry, in case this is some sort of mistake.

Or maybe the split between the haves and the have-nots is causing some of the issues related to matchmaking, and Epic/Microsoft is hoping to unify everyone by allowing them all the ability to get every available map. Either way, if you bought a used copy of Gears 2, there are now five more maps for you to buy.
Staff
#2 Posted by Rowr (5237 posts) -
Jeff said:
"
"
I would guess at this. I would imagine this was always the plan.
#3 Posted by snake6phw (166 posts) -

Cool

#4 Posted by McQuinn (650 posts) -

Great!? So, what was the point of the codes?

#5 Posted by musdy (323 posts) -

LOL Uncle Sam Bux!!!

#6 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (5797 posts) -

Maybe they're using this to get some money from the used buyers?  Not entirely sure.

#7 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

is not it for free ? OH Come oooooooon

#8 Posted by Player1 (3839 posts) -

Maybe they are trying to trick people would already have them into buying 5 dollars worth of the same maps?

Dirty, but possible.

#9 Posted by spiceninja (3052 posts) -

So you pay $55 for a used copy and then spend an extra $5 on these maps that are free with a new copy. You end up spending the same amount you would if you bought it new. So what is the point?

#10 Posted by Kibblez (702 posts) -

It really shouldn't be $5 from a consumer standpoint, it should be priced at 200 points AT LEAST

#11 Posted by niall077 (104 posts) -

Might as well try and get some money from people who got a second hand copy of the game.

surpized it took this long to put them up on the marketplace.

oh and dear epic games..... FIX THE MULTIPLAYER

#12 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

Just trying to stop people from buying used copies of the game, something which is pretty damaging to some developers..

#13 Posted by MasturbatingBear (1781 posts) -

this is so fucking ridiculous. Put something on sale that was once free? I don't care if there was only a certain way to get it before and now its being made available to those people. Its just dumb.

#14 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -

Why are people complaining about this?  If you want the maps for free, you can still get them by buying a new copy of Gears 2.  Microsoft and Epic are doing this to try and get some money out of the people that didn't give a fuck and bought it used, which seems completely sensible to me.

#15 Posted by SimoAn (10 posts) -
PlasmaBeam44 said:
"So you pay $55 for a used copy and then spend an extra $5 on these maps that are free with a new copy. You end up spending the same amount you would if you bought it new. So what is the point?"

You pay $55 for a used game?  What the hell? 

I don't think you totally understand the concept of saving money by buying used games...
#16 Posted by JoelTGM (5591 posts) -

Good.  They want people to buy new copies, instead of buying a used copy from Gamestop.  **** gamestop.

#17 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

not surprised

#18 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
"Maybe they're using this to get some money from the used buyers?  Not entirely sure."
Exactly. I don't see how anyone can complain about this, if you want a game when it comes out, you buy it new. I doubt anyone would not have bought Gears 2 if it didn't come with the free maps. They were just a bonus. This way, they can make money from people buying the game used as well as help decrease matchmaking times.
#19 Posted by SilverArrows (95 posts) -

If you downloaded using your code, then this item is marked as "purchased already" in your xbox account, so you can't "trick" people.
This is good for anyone who bought the game used, but then realised they shouldn't have, because of the map pack. Its good of Epic and MSFT to do this.

#20 Posted by bandro (65 posts) -

if it's a matchmaking problem then surely thats still gonna be abundant for those who chose NOT to buy the recent release of those 3 Gears 2 multiplayer maps for 800 points?

twats.  i will not get cornered into paying that much for an almost immediate release of a map pack after a games launch, just to speed up my crappy matchmaking processs.
#21 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8610 posts) -

At least I didn't have to pay for it. Phew

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.