Is Marcus a memerable enough character to become a game ledgend?

• 84 results
#1 Posted by Sedarati (53 posts) -

can he become as iconic as Mastercheif for example?

#2 Posted by Tiago (92 posts) -

He isn't. But the story wasn't good enough to allow him to either. Maybe in Gears 2 or even by the time Gears 3 is out he will be.

#3 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

I dont think so
Too cliche

#4 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

I don't think so, what he does well is simply showing us what the world has become.
he is a badass, you cannot deny that, and if you do... welll no.

#5 Posted by Davvyk (694 posts) -

Marcus serves his purpose in the game and that is to just be a total bad ass. on no level is he memorable but the plot lines dont really give him the chance to be. On the other hand however i dont see the character ever delivering any good non cliche plot lines with any finesse either even if they were in the plot.

#6 Posted by x3ar (236 posts) -

nah he doesnt feel ledgendary to me. he only opens his mouth every now and then and says some cheesy lines and thats it.

#7 Posted by Toseph (370 posts) -

Nah he has no real memorable personality for me

#8 Posted by RVonE (4657 posts) -

I guess the question really is: what constitutes a legend? Is Master Chief a legend? If yes, why? Mario is most likely a legend, right?

#9 Posted by Antsmifff (39 posts) -

Not from gears 1, but you never know. He could become the duke nukem of this generation. I guess it all depends on how the story and his character get developed in gears 2

#10 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Who? I didnt know who u were talking about till people mesnioned Gears of War lol
Yah, he has a chance to be
Hes never gonna be a master cheif thou

#11 Posted by Hulk (428 posts) -

Hulk like Cole Train better.

#12 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

The story in Gears 1 I don't think has us care that much about Marcus. Perhaps in Gears 2. Otherwise though, he's just a cliche. Master Chief is interesting because he doesn't have much personality either, but I think he's a legend because of the whole backstory of what we know with the spartans and all. And Cortana really helps bring him out, whereas Marcus doesn't really have anyone bringing out his emotions at all.

#13 Posted by Lairdo (543 posts) -

I think he's quite a poor character to be honest.

#14 Posted by mattside734 (48 posts) -

Maybe if they give him more backstory in 2 but hes pretty avrage. Im a big fan of his voice though, John Dimaggio is my favorite voice actor because im a big futurama fan (he did bender if you dont know). Him saying NICE!! as Fenix  is classic

#15 Posted by Player1 (3874 posts) -

Due to the fact that there is soo many compelling side characters in the game I dont see marcus being remembered. Master chief was so famous because he was the ONLY one. There were no other characters to compete with his greatness.

For gears there is Cole Dom Baird Carmine all loved characters. (Especially Cole) Marcus is loved as well, but I would say that he is not most people favorite character in the game. And now they are adding new characters that look amazing too.

So I doubt marcus will be remembered at all. But im sure this game franchise will be rememberd

#16 Posted by SlayingShogun (257 posts) -

He will be a memorable character to all who've played the game and a familiar face to those who haven't. Theres a chance he could become legendary but I highly doubt it. Though the Gears Franchise as a whole I think so.

#17 Posted by duxup (354 posts) -

Maybe if they had a story that he was involved in....  If you didn't just sit at the game menu in GoW you missed what little back story there was and aside from blast'n monsters the dude didn't say or do much of any consequence.

#18 Posted by Blu_Magic (2021 posts) -

Not yet but if they make the story alot better then myabe he'll become a memorable character.

#19 Posted by Soap (3607 posts) -

I think he's a little to... by the numbers to be anything special, he doesn't stand out from many other characters of that type.

#20 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I really doubt he can become a legend. Seeing as he really was just a generic musclehead in a suit with only one personality setting: Badass. And it wasn't even a stand out Duke Nukem type guy, he was just a cranky guy.

Also, i'm hoping that this extra plot they're promising for Gears 2 and potentially 3 doesn't go as deep as with the Halo games as they felt so needlessly overblown that it worked against them.

#21 Posted by IllegalMedic (20 posts) -

I doubt it, he looks too horribly generic. He is just one in a million muscular, battle scared, bad asses with a rough voice.

#22 Posted by Absinthetic (172 posts) -

dont think so

too much of a cookie cutter character

#23 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Il always just remember the action, not the charicters

#24 Posted by Dan (143 posts) -

As the figurehead for Gears of War, Marcus will be an icon just off the strength and popularity of the actual game. He's not very iconic in design, he's a pretty stereotypical bulky soldier-with-attitude, but he's the character that represents a game which is becoming such a prominent franchise itself, so he's a legend by default. I think this is pretty much the exact same process that happened to Master Chief, who himself is literally a faceless space marine with a bit of an attitude.

#25 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -

Yes, he is in one of the most memorable games of this generation in video games, but whether he will get up to the fame that is Master Cheif, Mario, or Snake, that is another thing all together.

#26 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Marcus a legend character? Nah I don't think so, not like Master Chief, R&C, Snake, Mario, etc etc.

He is just not that memorable of a character, and usually games with more story elements become legend characters, ie Snake, but its not always the case as you can see with Master Chief.

So who knows, I mean hell Sackboys are a legend character already and the game isn't even out yet, so it just takes the right tone to a character for them to become memorable, if you know what I mean.

#27 Posted by LouChou (458 posts) -

to be honest, I'd forgotten his name until I read this thread, so I'm gonna say probably not.

#28 Posted by Charles (90 posts) -

I would have to wait until I play gears 3 to answer this question, so I can see how the whole story plays out.

#29 Posted by Kenzo287 (722 posts) -

I think after Gears 2 he will become a legend. "If they can ride them so can we." Riding Brumaks...how much more badass can you get?

#30 Posted by Atlas (2454 posts) -

After one game, not really. After three, it's very possible. Not that I understand why.

#31 Posted by Wyld (278 posts) -

All it takes to become a memorable video game character is Badassness and Sexiness and Marcus is both. Take others for example: Mario (damn sexy), Sonic (badass), Lara Croft (sexy), Solid Snake (super sexy/super badass), and Master Cheif (Badass not too mention a great cook).

#32 Posted by RVonE (4657 posts) -

Mario is damn sexy, you got that right.

#33 Posted by Moe (31 posts) -

Yeah i think he already is, i like him more than master chief (our current 360 douch).

#34 Posted by ChocolateCoffin (201 posts) -

Carmine could be, and from what I've heard, they're bringing him back! If I don't get to play as Carmine in multiplayer, a small part of me will die on the inside.

#35 Posted by TimeWaffle (946 posts) -

i think it depends on if these games can stand the test of time

#36 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -

Maybe in Gears 2.

#37 Posted by IxRyanRitterxI (127 posts) -

i think carmine is more of a legend lol.

#38 Posted by DorianBlack (311 posts) -
ChocolateCoffin said:
"Carmine could be, and from what I've heard, they're bringing him back! If I don't get to play as Carmine in multiplayer, a small part of me will die on the inside.
"
He's not coming back unless they have the ability to keep people alive without heads on Sera. Normal COG soldiers all wear his helmet though so they will have a character in multiplayer that looks like him at least.
#39 Posted by Nawabi (48 posts) -

no, not IMO

#40 Posted by IxRyanRitterxI (127 posts) -
KairuDeLarge said:
"ChocolateCoffin said:
"Carmine could be, and from what I've heard, they're bringing him back! If I don't get to play as Carmine in multiplayer, a small part of me will die on the inside.
"
He's not coming back unless they have the ability to keep people alive without heads on Sera. Normal COG soldiers all wear his helmet though so they will have a character in multiplayer that looks like him at least.
"

epic confirmed that carmine is back. they said we have to wait and play the game to see how.
#41 Posted by sdodd02 (722 posts) -

nah, but they are amazing games.

#42 Posted by DorianBlack (311 posts) -
IxRyanRitterxI said:
"KairuDeLarge said:
"ChocolateCoffin said:
"
"

epic confirmed that carmine is back. they said we have to wait and play the game to see how."
Oh really? Well thats pretty cool if they have a believable way to bring him back.
#43 Posted by Jordan23 (1000 posts) -

I'm not so sure about Marcus, but Cole is mad funny (he's my favorite of the Gears guys).

#44 Posted by TheSnakeOfWar (72 posts) -

A game cannot make a legend You need more than just one game. The orignal Gears didnt tell much about the charecters or the story the next few gears of war games will decide fenixs status. Fenix needs to do some heroic stuff to get the doors open for legendary status.
Either that or get his own mountain dew deal

#45 Posted by LouChou (458 posts) -

It is possible to have great games whose heroes are forgotten.

#46 Posted by Roybot (34 posts) -

They need to put Marcus on the spot, let him shine, let him work his magic! And maybe, just maybe give him a few more lines.. then he might be remembered once this franchise is gone..

#47 Posted by VaultDweller13 (99 posts) -

I think that most people with gaming knowledge will recognize him but I don't think he'll ever achieve legend status.  Nothing unique or memorable about him at all.

#48 Posted by AndrewRyan (16 posts) -

His voice is but right now he isn't.

They need to spice up his story a bit, make him a deeper character. Personally I prefer Dom, Baird and Hoffman to Marcus.

#49 Posted by obiwan1337 (51 posts) -

i think the side characters in the game (cole dom) are more memorable than marcus.  if gears 2 has more cut scenes and they give marcus some decent dialog then maybe.  but as i see it now, he's just another character lost in the abyss i call 'generic fps dudes'.

#50 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

I think that right now he is a bland character, along with Nathan Hale of resistance, no real character there. Maybe Gears 2 will give him the personality he needs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.