Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Wow, talk about stealing form Halo

• 80 results
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

(i know it doesn't look like it so much in this, but in game it looks like a carbon copy)

--- And no pictures, but other things

--- Zombie locust (which look strangely like the elite form flood)
    --- the inclusion of heavy artillery which slows you down (grinder aka turret and mortar aka missle pod)
    --- Locust civil war (self-explanatory)

There's probably some others too, but seriously, there were so many Halo rip offs I loled. 

title: * stealing from halo

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Karmum

Well, it would be logical to be slowed down with over-beating heavy artillery. So that isn't exactly "stealing", that is just logical.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    Karmum said:
    "Well, it would be logical to be slowed down with over-beating heavy artillery. So that isn't exactly "stealing", that is just logical."
    I meant heavy arms in general.
    I knew someone would bring this up as it's not something crazy different.

That being said, not many games have actually had weapons that made you feel significantly different while carrying it.  I just found it particularly odd that they included this right after halo came out. 
    If I were scraping for similarities I would have said they included a flamethrower.  But umm... so do a lot of games?  You know, I was just trying to point this out in case others didn't notice, not bash gears in any way (what's so bad about it copying from halo exactly?)

I think the rest are pretty undeniable.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive

fail

sorry i had to say it
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pause422

Games take ideas from other ones all the time, this isn't something new. Every game to this point has "stole" something from one before it, 2 sci fi shooters where you're a dude in armor against an alien threat, I don't know who would be surprised if some things are similar.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    TwoOneFive said:
    "fail

sorry i had to say it
    "

So you don't see any parrellels between the two? 
    Wow.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpecTackle

How about all of the shit halo stole from tribes? Pretty sure it's atleast 3x this list.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    pause422 said:
    "Games take ideas from other ones all the time, this isn't something new. Every game to this point has "stole" something from one before it, 2 sci fi shooters where you're a dude in armor against an alien threat, I don't know who would be surprised if some things are similar."

But there's quite a significant difference.  In gears, they literally stole designs and specific plot points, and well, they don't fit in.
               >There's no reason for there to be zombie locust (a lab? how does this have a good flow?) and then the civil war just feels out of place.  Granted though, it's more so because they're trying to give the locust depth while in reality they have no cause to be fighting the humans.

That's not to say Halo is completely sober of stolen ideas.  While it is mostly original (and I know my scifi) it has taken one thing really and it's from culture.  That being said, it's just the actual structure.  The whole story behind it is completely different.  It's from Culture btw.
    -
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Absurd

So, They made heavy arms slow down the character...and that is stealing?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    CynageN said:
    "How about all of the shit halo stole from tribes? Pretty sure it's atleast 3x this list."
    What exactly? I love how tribes is always used against halo, but there really completely different.  Granted I've only played some of it, but really.  Educate me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this whole thing was an arguement against halo while it was in it's beta form, meaning basically a tps in an rts land. 

I'm not joking by the way, I'd like to know the similarities halo has with tribes
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SpecTackle

Considering the fact that if they added jetpacks, it would essentially be as close to a homage project to the Tribes franchise as it could possibly be without stepping over IP laws.. there's really no argument here. Level designs, vehicle designs and mechanics, character design, art style, they even managed to steal some storyline elements which is AMAZING because the Tribes storyline is about as fucking rich and fulfilled as a book made out of fortune cookies.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pause422

Gears stole from games before it, Halo stole from games before it.....every triple A franchise that people tend to love in this day has stolen a ton of shit from things that came before it, honestly its not a surprise and everyone knows this. That's why most people don't even use the word "stole" anymore when trying to see similarity in different games, because plenty of times something good can be created simply by "stolen" ideas elsewhere. If this makes you mad, I don't quite see why because Halo isn't some flawless masterpiece that never stole something from someone else either, and if not I hardly see it as a big deal at all.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    CynageN said:
    "Considering the fact that if they added jetpacks, it would essentially be as close to a homage project to the Tribes franchise as it could possibly be without stepping over IP laws.. there's really no argument here. Level designs, vehicle designs and mechanics, character design, art style, they even managed to steal some storyline elements which is AMAZING because the Tribes storyline is about as fucking rich and fulfilled as a book made out of fortune cookies."

Can I have specific examples?  Because I'm really missing it here.
    Completely actually.
    DandmanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DandmanX

As much as I'd like to believe that Gears is completely original, you have a point. BUT, having said that, why care too much? The pistols may look the same but work differently, and the grindlift deployers (What are they called?) do actually have a function in the story. The plot elements are also similar, but don't you think that those will make GoW 3 that much better? It will be like what Halo 3 did to the whole franchise, but now GoW already has a working forumla + all of those story possibilities. Aaannd, I'd just like to mention microsoft is happy no matter who copies what.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    DandmanX said:
    "As much as I'd like to believe that Gears is completely original, you have a point. BUT, having said that, why care too much? The pistols may look the same but work differently, and the grindlift deployers (What are they called?) do actually have a function in the story. The plot elements are also similar, but don't you think that those will make GoW 3 that much better? It will be like what Halo 3 did to the whole franchise, but now GoW already has a working forumla + all of those story possibilities. Aaannd, I'd just like to mention microsoft is happy no matter who copies what."

I'm not saying it's bad.
    it's just while I was playing my head was screaming throughout saying "yep, that's from halo"

Doesn't hurt Gears in anyway, it's again, just something I noticed and wanted to say

Still waiting on the post saying how halo is a rip off of tribes with actual points....
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Thrawn1

SmugDarkLoser said:

That being said, not many games have actually had weapons that made you feel significantly different while carrying it.

You must not have played many games.

Also, this picture looks vaguely familiar:

SEE, LOOK! I CAN DO IT TOO!!

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpecTackle
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "CynageN said:
    "Considering the fact that if they added jetpacks, it would essentially be as close to a homage project to the Tribes franchise as it could possibly be without stepping over IP laws.. there's really no argument here. Level designs, vehicle designs and mechanics, character design, art style, they even managed to steal some storyline elements which is AMAZING because the Tribes storyline is about as fucking rich and fulfilled as a book made out of fortune cookies."

Completely actually."
    Have you played any game in the tribes franchise? I'm betting no. Just youtube the words Tribes 2 and watch without your halo baseball hat and decoder ring on ffs. It's really not tough to see the inspiration derived, the fact that you feverishly defend Halo like it's some fucking holy grail of originality just shows some really misplaced dedication. It's been said already in this thread... EVERY game takes ideas from other games. The industry is simply too huge for it not to happen. Quake inspired a ton of aspects in Tribes, and a lot of games that are still being made. Get the fuck over it.
    hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By hungrynun

To put it in OP's logic.

Halo is totally stealing from Doom because Doom had guns first.

I'll give it to you, the pistol and elephant do look similar. Singling out the similar concepts of a game show signs of large quantities of the nothing-better-to-do syndrome. You have my support for your disorder.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Thrawn1
    hungrynun said:
    "To put it in OP's logic.

Halo is totally stealing from Doom because Doom had guns first.

I'll give it to you, the pistol and elephant do look similar. Singling out the similar concepts of a game show signs of large quantities of the nothing-better-to-do syndrome. You have my support for your disorder."

yes! internet fight!
    hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hungrynun

Shit Thrawn. Remember that ground zero thread awhile back?

That was awesome.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    CynageN said:
    "SmugDarkLoser said:
    "CynageN said:

Completely actually."
    Have you played any game in the tribes franchise? I'm betting no. Just youtube the words Tribes 2 and watch without your halo baseball hat and decoder ring on ffs. It's really not tough to see the inspiration derived, the fact that you feverishly defend Halo like it's some fucking holy grail of originality just shows some really misplaced dedication. It's been said already in this thread... EVERY game takes ideas from other games. The industry is simply too huge for it not to happen. Quake inspired a ton of aspects in Tribes, and a lot of games that are still being made. Get the fuck over it."
    BUT WHAT THE HELL ARE THE SIMILARITIES!!!!
    Your just screaming in my ear that there're so alike.  I don't understand what you mean at all.

Or do you mean the fact that you shoot things?

I'm not saying halo is completely original, it's not.  Halo obviously has ties to culture but I just don't get your tribes reference.
    And again, I was simply pointing out some obvious similarities.

But seriously, this isn't asking for you to defend yourself.  I seriously want to know what you're talking about with tribes.  I simply do not understand at all.
    I've heard it a little bit (only on a couple of board though) that they were alike, but I never quite undetstood.  I see similarities between tribes and perfect dark zero, but not halo
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422

He said youtube it and watch for yourself.....it takes 2 seconds to do.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    pause422 said:
    "He said youtube it and watch for yourself.....it takes 2 seconds to do."

But there's no videos aboutt his specifically, and looking at the videos, I fail to see what he apparently does. 
    If it's so obvious it should be easy to point out.

Or does he mean jumping an amount where it's actually useful? >.>
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SpecTackle

If you haven't played the game and are not even going to attempt to educate yourself via youtube, I'm not going to bother. Comparing screenshots of a game made in 2001 vs a game made nearly a decade later will accomplish nothing. I mean, really.. what the fuck is there not to get? The art style alone is so similar you could literally rip the texture off of masterchief in halo 1 and slap it on to a medium armor in tribes 2 with VERY little editing. It was done.. and it fit perfectly.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By weltal

Indeed and with such startling evidence as a gun that looks like another gun and large vehicles that are large, I mean, who wouldn't think Halo and Gears are similar, in fact, has anyone seen the two together at any point? Good gods! They ARE the same!

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

So the textures are stolen?
    Umm... wow.

I'm suppose to get that from youtube?

And here I was thinking you meant the actual game and gameplay >.>
    Wow, I can't believe you were talking about graphics.  Who gives a crap?

>.>

What I was talking about, is there a gameplay or design thing that's essentially stolen?
    And the story as well?  wut?

It should be easy according to you, name something that's a copy, again, not including textures

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SpecTackle

Are you a moron? The art style I said.. not the graphics, CHARACTER FUCKING DESIGN. Think of it as the Marcus Fenix model looking exactly like Masterchief, and being able to actually go in and put the Marcus Fenix texture into Halo 3 and have it fit perfectly on a Spartan model.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By LiquidPrince
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "DandmanX said:
    "As much as I'd like to believe that Gears is completely original, you have a point. BUT, having said that, why care too much? The pistols may look the same but work differently, and the grindlift deployers (What are they called?) do actually have a function in the story. The plot elements are also similar, but don't you think that those will make GoW 3 that much better? It will be like what Halo 3 did to the whole franchise, but now GoW already has a working forumla + all of those story possibilities. Aaannd, I'd just like to mention microsoft is happy no matter who copies what."

I'm not saying it's bad.
    it's just while I was playing my head was screaming throughout saying "yep, that's from halo"

Doesn't hurt Gears in anyway, it's again, just something I noticed and wanted to say

Still waiting on the post saying how halo is a rip off of tribes with actual points...."

The term stealing is usually associated with a negative action, therefore, even if you didn't mean it in a bad way, it will not sound thus. A better way to phrase it would have been " Gears burrows a lot from gears" or something along those lines.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Thrawn1

such harsh words in this thread....

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Halo 1=master chief turns over a tank easily infact he can do it often in multiplayer and with warthogs 2.
    halo 2-does the same thing he can flip over a half ton warthog, or 5 ton scropian tank.
    halo 3- he can still do these things but is incapable of lugging around a 200 or so pound gatling gun/rocket pod.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    CynageN said:
    "Are you a moron? The art style I said.. not the graphics, CHARACTER FUCKING DESIGN. Think of it as the Marcus Fenix model looking exactly like Masterchief, and being able to actually go in and put the Marcus Fenix texture into Halo 3 and have it fit perfectly on a Spartan model."

I'd disagree with that, Tribes goes for the cartoony quake sort of deal while halo is more of the modern console cartoonier look.

But again, that qualifies as graphics.
    Again, and I'll ask kindly, what in terms of GAMEPLAY and DESIGN is stolen.

Arghh... I done.  I', going to bed.  As that said, someone is wrong on the interwebs (not important!) and it's getting late (midnight already)
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Halo 1=master chief turns over a tank easily infact he can do it often in multiplayer and with warthogs 2.
    halo 2-does the same thing he can flip over a half ton warthog, or 5 ton scropian tank.
    halo 3- he can still do these things but is incapable of lugging around a 200 or so pound gatling gun/rocket pod."

lol.  Never thought of that.  He wears 1000 lbs of armor and can do that, but a missle pod slows him down.
    Completely irrelevant to this thread but awesome. 
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpecTackle

The art style is just the easiest way to show someone who hasn't played the game the similarities. The gameplay similarities are certainly there. The shrike in t2 is oddly very similar in function and useage as the banshee in Halo. Let me make it clear for you so you don't take it off in a nice little stupid tangent you love so much, they don't look alike. However, the design of the wildcat both aesthetically and functionally is also strangely similar to the Chopper/bike deal in Halo 3. Characters look similar, the entire game concept is similar (dudes in powered armor being complete badasses, fucking up aliens with crazy futuristic weaponry on a not completely x&y plane because you can jump ridiculously high in Halo, and you can fly in Tribes). The art style involved with environments are similar as well, especially out door areas.

Modern console cartoonie look? You're comparing generations of technology. In 2001, Tribes 2 looked anything but "cartoonie". It may now due to it's time, but back then it was a pretty impressive looking game because of it's unique art style and the engine it ran on. I wouldn't say halo looks "cartoonie" either.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Rowr

Its all just ripped off of LOTR.......

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Thrawn1

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SpecTackle
    Thrawn said:
    "

"
    Allow me to respond for SDL.

"I don't see it."
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Thrawn1

from this website: screwattack.com

"Hello G1's, i know im going to get so much shit for this, but i have been chatting with a friend about star craft and Halo, and...i came to a realization, its almost a total blatant rip off with just a few tweaks

Lets compare them, shall we?

The Terran, are Humans at war with a race called the Zerg, and another race called the Protoss, They are more...modern type technology based, and they use bullets, and wear suits of armor that cover their whole body. The Main characters don't hold back their tongues, and try to come off as bad ass with some of the silent Protagonists. They Leave one of their best agents to die, and try to write it off as a martyrs death, though its revealed she is still alive.

The Humans, they are at war with 2 races, the Covenant and later the Flood, they are more...modern type technology based, and most of their weapons use bullets. The Spartans wear armor covering their whole body. The Main characters don't hold their tongues and try to come off as bad ass with some of the more silent protagonists, ala master chief, he is left to die and they celebrate him as a martyr, though its revealed he is still alive.

Sound Familier, it doesnt end there

The Zerg are a race of insect like people, they are controlled by a tentacle like creature called the Over mind, and they infect and kill their hosts and control them. they can infect and control people of both races, ala Rashalgal in Brood Wars, and Sarah Kerrigan in The original. They are a mindless type insect race and destroy all that stand in their way.

The Flood are a race of insect like creatures. They are controlled by a tentacle like creature called the Grave mind, they can infect and control people of both races, ala Soldiers from the Humans, and Brutes and elites from the Covenant. They are a mindless type insect race and destroy all that stand in their way.

Whoa, getting scary, are you Xbox lovers finding your precious halo might actually be plagiarized? oh no, it doesn't end there

The Protoss are a race of Heavily religious people, but soon they discover their religion might be wrong. As they fight against the Zerg and Protoss, they abandon their Dark Brothers, and end up nearly losing the war. its only when the dark brothers join up with them and the humans that it becomes possible to destroy the over mind and bring peace to the galaxy. The heretic Tassadar is the one who ultimately brings peace to the Humans and protoss.

The Covenant are a race of Heavily religious people, but soon they discover their religion is wrong, that their prophecies are false. As they fight the humans and the flood, they abandon a group of them, with the Avatar as their leader. Its only when they are nearly wiped out they find their region is wrong, but however they do not join with their brothers. The Heretic "Avatar" is the one who ultimately helps master chief bring peace to the humans and the Covenant.

Now, i only brought this up in that conversation earlier because he was happy the MMO fell through, but i thought of halo wars and thought...hey...it'll be exactly like starcraft then it struck me! IT IS! 

Tell me if you played them both, and looked at the lore, they dont sound Strikingly similar?"

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By crunchUK

he's right. .........but wrong.

gears 2 might "steal" stuff from halo but both franchises belong to MS so... it's not stealing#

; )

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By atejas

Halo invented tanks.
    Only the clip resembles the hatchet on the Spiker, other than that, the GoW weapon looks more like a flintlock than a Spiker.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By KamasamaK
    Thrawn, thanks for bringing that up before I did.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Halo 1=master chief turns over a tank easily infact he can do it often in multiplayer and with warthogs 2.
    halo 3- he can still do these things but is incapable of lugging around a 200 or so pound gatling gun/rocket pod."
    Haha.  I think there needs to be a mention of the Master Chief's ability to right an Elephant in Halo 3, should it get overturned.  The Elephant is clearly more massive than the Scorpion. 

Also, Thrawn wins just because he referenced Niven's Ringworld series.  This thread should be over. 
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Thrawn1
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    Haha.  I think there needs to be a mention of the Master Chief's ability to right an Elephant in Halo 3, should it get overturned.  The Elephant is clearly more massive than the Scorpion. 

Also, Thrawn wins just because he referenced Niven's Ringworld series.  This thread should be over. "

i win!
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HandsomeDead

Wow, talk about not really understanding the concept of 'ripping off'.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Kid, next attempt to stir up trouble in favor of your precious Master Chief try posting topics in the Halo orientated forums. That way you'll have at least one person agree with your thread, thus making a complete ass of yourself on the interwebs reduced to a minimum.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BiggerBomb
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "

"

Talk about stealing from Star Wars...
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By pause422
    BiggerBomb said:
    "SmugDarkLoser said:
    "

"

Talk about stealing from Star Wars..."
    lol, owned.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Hamz

Quick reminder people, lets keep it civil ok? I wan't you all focusing on adding Santa hats to your avatars, not falling out with each other. The Holiday Snatchers are winning!

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Jayge_
    HALO INVENTED VIDEOGAMES, RIGHT?
    HALO INVENTED VIDEOGAMES, RIGHT?
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By Arkthemaniac

There's actually a Locust civil war!?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHASHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Teh creativity is teh bogling!
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By dsplayer1010
    TwoOneFive said:
    "fail"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.