Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Jun 16, 2009

With a script edited and approved by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, Ghostbusters: The Video Game is a sequel to the feature length films. Who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!

Sony Traps Ghostbusters Release In Europe And Australia

• 55 results
    snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

Edited By snide
    Ray... what did you do Ray?
    In a late-game move Sony announced today they've acquired the publishing rights to Ghostbusters: The Video Game in Europe all Australia. This will make the title a PlayStation exclusive for the near future in those territories with other platforms getting the release "later this year." As it stands now the PS2 and PS3 versions of the game are set for a June 19 release to coincide with the 25th anniversary release of the original movie on Blu-Ray. A PSP version will follow in the Fall.

It is important to note that no mention of any changes with the North American release of the game are mentioned in the press release and Destructoid reports that the Atari release here moves forward unaffected. The only nugget of speculation for why this publishing change happened so late is that this is somehow tied to Columbia Pictures, who is owned by Sony, distributing the movie all those years ago.  In any case, this is a major bummer for PAL territories. Personally, I blame Ray for thinking about it and making it true.
    snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By snide
    In a late-game move Sony announced today they've acquired the publishing rights to Ghostbusters: The Video Game in Europe all Australia. This will make the title a PlayStation exclusive for the near future in those territories with other platforms getting the release "later this year." As it stands now the PS2 and PS3 versions of the game are set for a June 19 release to coincide with the 25th anniversary release of the original movie on Blu-Ray. A PSP version will follow in the Fall.

It is important to note that no mention of any changes with the North American release of the game are mentioned in the press release and Destructoid reports that the Atari release here moves forward unaffected. The only nugget of speculation for why this publishing change happened so late is that this is somehow tied to Columbia Pictures, who is owned by Sony, distributing the movie all those years ago.  In any case, this is a major bummer for PAL territories. Personally, I blame Ray for thinking about it and making it true.
    Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Vod_Crack

Annoyed.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

I'm hoping that this arrangement doesn't prevent another publisher from picking up the other versions.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Rowr

lame.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Man, this completely sucks.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lashe

Almost makes me glad I bought my PS3 now.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Plasma

Are you shitting me?

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Sunjammer

I'm confused; Does this affect the (fairly different) Wii version? How fucking much must Sony have paid to stop Atari from putting out two FINISHED builds? If i read this right, this is just freaking weird to me. If they had gone in earlier with funding and made Sony platforms the primary target, i could've understood. Simply going in once all the games are basically done and say yo, look, hold off releasing these ones. That's just corporate bullshit to me.

I do not like bullshit.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By EvilDingo
    Sunjammer said:
    "I'm confused; Does this affect the (fairly different) Wii version? How fucking much must Sony have paid to stop Atari from putting out two FINISHED builds? If i read this right, this is just freaking weird to me. If they had gone in earlier with funding and made Sony platforms the primary target, i could've understood. Simply going in once all the games are basically done and say yo, look, hold off releasing these ones. That's just corporate bullshit to me.I do not like bullshit."
    It just translates to a timed exclusive I think - So the Wii-version will come out eventually.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Maybe websites like this could e-mail the involved parties than post second hand information. Did the Sony press release mention the exclusivity and its time frame? Did they make any comment whatsoever about the other versions? Did Atari? Anyone? Do we have quotes? I can see how it's probably just a timed exclusive, but for how long, and having it from the authorities involved would sure be nicer than speculation...

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Venatio

Well this sounds weird and complicated, Well I live in Europe and I have a 360 and PS3 but I dont really care about this game

i2v2nr20i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By i2v2nr20i

I love how when Sony sets up a timed release it's corporate bullshit but when Microsoft does one they're "supporting the product" and it's totally legit.

I waited for my Oblivion, I waited for my COD 4, I waited for my Rock Band, grow a pair and shut the hell up. Jesus.

coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By coughlanio

This is kind of funny, its like Microsoft getting the Fallout 3 and GTA downloadable content :D

Thank god I'm manticore (I own Fallout 3 on PC and GTA on 360 btw)...I'll be getting this game Day 1 for PS3

EDIT: Sony probably bribed them with the rights for the Ghostbusters 3 game, if there is one.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

@I2v2nr20I: Um, not every delayed game is due to the other 1st party handing money, you know. And usually you know it long before release, not as you're about to go preorder in your local stores and everything. Was COD announced for simultaneous release? Was Oblivion?

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By Death_Burnout

Even though it doesn't effect me, because i own both, i feel real bad for 360 only users...once again PAL gets screwed!

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cikame

I'm not really interested in ghostbusters but this is a very lame move to pull.
    Having an exlusive from the beginning is fine, but pumping up peoples expectations just to tell them to f... off is just sad.

TheTemplar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheTemplar

This seems like a strange, last minute, arrangement.

Although my understanding from another site was that this was just publishing rights, it had nothing to do with exclusivity.
    billysea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By billysea

Suck that the Wii version apparently is the best version from the previews of most sites.  I thought Sony didn't like Microsoft's way of buying exclusives, it seems like they are doing even worst (for not allowing games that ALREADY made to be on the market).

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By PJ

WHAT? F U sony. I totally have a PS3 but thats just low, taking a 3rd party game and making it exlusive in Europe and Australia. Just for that im waiting for the 360 version.

I dont really get it though. Ghostbusters is populer and all but I dont think it will break a million on any console except for Wii probebly since theres so many of them and GB seems like a kid friendly game that parents that grew up whit it will buy for their kids.

Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mooshu

Ugh... I feel sorry for Europeans and Australians now.

That's seriously a dick move on Sony's part.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Peanut

Did anyone go ahead and read any of the comments on the Destructoid story? God damn. Exact reason I think the news blogs are the asshole of the gaming press.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r

Uh, wouldn't you judge that by the writers rather than the commenters? GB isn't much unlike Dtoid, database aside.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#24  Edited By LordAndrew

Read the comments on just about any news story on any site and you'll find that. It's not limited to blog-style sites.

khisanth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By khisanth

I cant see what difference it makes other than release dates. And release dates only matter to obsessive people!

I preordered the PS3 version the other day.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HandsomeDead

I think i'm done being a 'gamer'.

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ElectricHaggis

Is this really worth Sony's trouble?  How much will a Ghostbusters game actually sell?

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By JonathanMoore

Ugh... I had to do it didn't I, had to be European, fuck you UK and fuck you Sony.

-- God Bless.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheHBK

Assholes but I guess it makes business sense, still this is no system seller so why are they doing this?  For the few hundred people who have both a 360 and PS3 and are willing to get the PS3 version over waiting and not get achievements?  still they own the columbia stuff, so i guess it makes sense, but why only in Europe?  Something is weird here.

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Aas

This makes me want to get a PS3 less. Which is a shame, 'cause it looks like a pretty neat console.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CL60

lol!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By get2sammyb

While I totally understand that people in Europe who are 360/Wii only are kinda pissed off -- there are two important things to consider: a) Sony essentially own the franchise as it is; b) We don't know enough about Atari's situation. It's possible they couldn't afford to distribute the game across Europe -- in which case Sony putting it out now gets the game on stores/and gives them advantage.

I do get why people are pissed. This whole timed-exclusive thing is getting right up my goat -- whether it's Sony or Microsoft doing it. If the game is multiplatform, everyone should be treated equally.

It's wrong to expect the same money from both parties, but change the content -- or in this case release date.

On Sony's part though -- it's a good move from a business stance; I expect them to market the shit out of the blu-ray and game.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By toowalrus

But what about the other versions? They'll be coming, but later in the year, as Sony's takeover means the game will be a timed exclusive to the PlayStation home consoles.
    Bummer for PAL territories. Sony are fuckers. I don't have a PS3, and I know that I wouldn't be buying the PS2 version if I knew an Xbox version was coming in a few months. Sorry that Sony was able to fuck over PAL 360 owners like this.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By mracoon

Well I was looking forward to getting this game on my 360 now it seems I'll have to wait longer to do that, which is really annoying.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By Snail

That screenshot made me think the game is going to suck.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Al3xand3r

Activision PR:

NEW YORK, NY - May 6, 2009 - Atari, one of the world’s most recognized video game publishers, today confirmed the worldwide launch plans for the highly anticipated Ghostbusters: The Video Game.

The title will launch on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Windows® PC, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Wii™ and Nintendo DS™ in North America on June 16th 2009 and will be published by Atari Inc.

In an exclusive deal for Europe and the PAL regions, the PLAYSTATION®3 system and PlayStation®2 system versions will launch on June 19th 2009 published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. The launch coincides with the 25th anniversary of the original film’s theatrical release and the launch of the Blu-RayTM of the classic first movie, benefiting from a worldwide launch and licensing campaign by Sony Pictures Consumer Products.

It looks like Europe's fucked. It's just vague enough to possibly mean it's exclusive on that date, but, we'll have to wait and hope and see...
    Contra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Contra

The fuck?

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By benderunit22

Weird move by Sony, especially when they didn't get the world-wide publishing rights.

Lewis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lewis

ah was looking forward to this as well, we need more comedy games, i guess business is business, but then i can't see the business sense here, it will only mean it will shift less copies and loose them money, unless sony has compensated them for this in which case they've lost money and for what? to shift consoles, the game looks good but not a console seller, maybe i've missed something.

Leadcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Leadcat

ugh, hope it's not too long until the 360 release.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By OmegaPirate

Haha come on guys , grow a chin and take one on it - not as if the ps3 has had the exact same situation apply to it in the past - everyone just be glad you'll be getting it eventually

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By RHCPfan24

Sorry PAL duders. This sucks. I don't even see the point in this move, honestly. Is it just to promote the Blu-Ray? Lame.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By killdave

I wasnt going to buy any version of the ghostbusters ... but after watching the youtube Dave posted - I think I'll be getting it on PS3 ^

JazzMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JazzMaverick

Wasn't that intrested in the game anyway,now i definately won't bother getting it out of principal.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Al3xand3r

Your principles involve not buying 360 games if they're not out at the same time or before the PS3? >_>

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Cheapoz

Great, along with Harry Hatsworth, here's another game I can't buy. But who cares right, cos the devs got a truckload of money in the exclusivity deal right?

What's with Australia getting screwed over at the moment?
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Media_Master

doesn't effect me

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

haha, M$, you loser.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By buzz_killington

although I live in Canada, but still its such a dumb move...

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By thiago
    "This makes me want to get a PS3 less. Which is a shame, 'cause it looks like a pretty neat console."

Funny how every fanboy comes up with "reasons" out of their asses for not buying a PS3. Soon, the "PS3 is doomed" BS will ensue.

Microsoft  does it all the time. GTA IV DLC, Fallout 3 DLC, Final Fantasy XIII, etc.

Although I don't really care about this game, I think it is a good business move, because Ghostbusters appeals to the people that lived that time and remember the movies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.